FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2014 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

fstopperdown
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

My M9 gave me zero issues after owning her almost a year.

It might have been the best camera I have owned.

Recently, a string of home invasions and thefts led me to sell the camera.

It depreciates at a frightening pace.

The issues posed on blogs and forums were secondary at best, and in some cases more personal attacks on a brand and fellow photogs.

The main reason is just that prefer film and my M2 and M3.

Zero depreciation.
I like to develop film.
I like a wet darkroom.
I digress.

The bottom line... does Leica stand by their product. I feel the answer is obviously affirmative.

If you cannot trust the company, move on.

Jan 07, 2015 at 04:41 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

uhoh7 wrote:
But the M5 really offered nothing fundamentally different, so was just one model in a string of the same basic technology.

As a user of the M5, as well as a couple of M3s and an M-E, I can tell you that the M5 was/is the most fundamentally different Leica rangefinder made.
No other Leica, before or since, offers as much detailed exposure information in the VF. Not only does the M5 show the shutter speeds, but also a separate match needle system so you can see exactly how far away you are from 'correct' exposure.
And that's ignoring the basic form factor differences, spot metering, shutter speed dial hanging over the front of the camera so it can be turned with one finger with the camera to the eye etc etc.
Even the film rewind crank is superior to anything offered on the M3....M6/M7/MP. If speed AND strength is the goal.

My favourite lens with the M5? The Nokton 35 VII 1.2 as the size of the lens perfectly matches the size of the camera. As well as it just being a very good lens indeed.

Jan 07, 2015 at 05:59 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

Desmolicious wrote:
[shutter speed dial hanging over the front of the camera so it can be turned with one finger with the camera to the eye etc etc.

Canon must have copied this over hanging shutter speed dial feature from the M5 as my Canon EF "Black Beauty" (mid 70's) has the same feature. When I used to regularly shoot with that camera, I found it to be so convenient to use.

Jan 07, 2015 at 07:17 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

Desmolicious wrote:
As a user of the M5, as well as a couple of M3s and an M-E, I can tell you that the M5 was/is the most fundamentally different Leica rangefinder made.
No other Leica, before or since, offers as much detailed exposure information in the VF. Not only does the M5 show the shutter speeds, but also a separate match needle system so you can see exactly how far away you are from 'correct' exposure.
And that's ignoring the basic form factor differences, spot metering, shutter speed dial hanging over the front of the camera so it can be turned with one
...Show more

TY to both you and Tariq for educating me on the unique aspects of the M5, seriously

I was thinking in terms of the "sensor" .

I didn't realize also it was so much bigger, and I think this is also an issue with the M9 and M240, which really pale to the very sweet in the hand M6, which is the only film M I own.

While I'm crazy about the M9 these days, I don't deny various aspects are not optimal, and form factor is right behind sensor delam on that list, for me. Bizarre shutter with only 4k would be next

Excellent posts, both of you, TY, sirs.

Jan 08, 2015 at 10:19 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

M8 had cloth shutter with 8k, I think they swapped it due noise and some malfunctioning issues?

Jan 08, 2015 at 11:34 AM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

The M8 shutter was metal. While the original M8 offered 1/8000s, the M8.2 (and those upgraded to the new shutter) topped out at 1/4000s.

Jan 08, 2015 at 12:08 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

Apparently Leica is readying a new sensor - announcing, then pulling the info from their website!

EDIT: Info is back up!

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:02 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

Ahh chicken-little chimes in again to raise his hit counts

From Leica:

"Latest information on the CCD sensors of the Leica M9 / M9-P / M Monochrom and M-E camera models
Since the recognition of a corrosion-related problem on the cover glass of the sensors of the above-mentioned camera models (see information from 10.12.2014), we have been working with our sensor supplier on a long-term technical solution.

The development phase of a new generation of sensors has now nearly been completed. In the next phase, independent users will be testing the new sensor in practical situations to guarantee that the imaging characteristics of the cameras remain unaltered.

After completion and evaluation of this testing phase, we will begin the replacement of corroded sensors by the new-generation sensor.

As the goodwill arrangement for the replacement of affected sensors applies irrespective of the age of the camera, and also to sensors already replaced in the above-mentioned camera models, repairs will continue without interruption until the new sensors are available.
Please understand that sensor replacement can only be offered for cameras affected by the concrete problem and that preventive replacement is not possible."

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:41 PM
clmusic
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

Great! I will have a new generation CCD sensor for my M9. Hope the new sensor has the high ISO performance of the M240

Jun 30, 2015 at 01:08 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

clmusic wrote:
Great! I will have a new generation CCD sensor for my M9. Hope the new sensor has the high ISO performance of the M240

real men just use fast glass

Jun 30, 2015 at 01:15 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

clmusic wrote:

I don't know... the Leica quote above states their goal is attempting to guarantee that "imaging characteristics of the cameras remain unaltered."

If it's CCD based, which I expect, I doubt high ISO performance will improve. But you never know... In any case, it's a good sign. My M9's sensor has about 11 of the light spots with dark rings that I'm unable to clean off. Still leaning towards trading for an M-P.

Jun 30, 2015 at 02:05 PM
clmusic
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

uhoh7 wrote:
real men just use fast glass

OK, got it. Will sell all my Lux, Cron and order Nocti (the 50mm and the rumored 35)

Jun 30, 2015 at 03:55 PM
clmusic
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

rscheffler wrote:
I don't know... the Leica quote above states their goal is attempting to guarantee that "imaging characteristics of the cameras remain unaltered."

If it's CCD based, which I expect, I doubt high ISO performance will improve. But you never know... In any case, it's a good sign. My M9's sensor has about 11 of the light spots with dark rings that I'm unable to clean off. Still leaning towards trading for an M-P.

Ron, you know I was joking. But if my M9 performs 1 stop better, I am in heaven
Do you know if Leica will let you to trade in an M9 for an M9-P? If so and the price is seasonable, I would want one too.

Jun 30, 2015 at 03:58 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

You would think F/1.4 would be fine, but after sundown my M9 prefers to have f/1.2 or faster on hand. If there is lots of ambient light a lux will do but when it's dim you do get alot of noise. I top my iso at 800.

That doesn't mean a ton of money though, because CV 35/1.2 and 50/1.1.....M9 loves them both. Also the Sonnetar is very fun, and unlike the other two it's small and light.

Jun 30, 2015 at 07:45 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

uhoh7 wrote:
Ahh chicken-little chimes in again to raise his hit counts

Dude, seriously... Give it a rest. Try to spend more time improving your photography. It would be time well spent.

Jul 01, 2015 at 08:16 AM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

clmusic wrote:

It will be a drop-in replacement CCD; don't expect any changes as far as ISO performance, etc.

Jul 01, 2015 at 08:31 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

DoubleNegative wrote:
Dude, seriously... Give it a rest. Try to spend more time improving your photography. It would be time well spent.

Have you considered a career in diplomacy?

Jul 01, 2015 at 03:12 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

uhoh7 wrote:
Have you considered a career in diplomacy?

With your repeated snipes across multiple forums? No.

Jul 02, 2015 at 07:32 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.