1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2014 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

DoubleNegative
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

uhoh7 wrote:
It sound to me as if neither you nor jaap are in a position to provide coherent information. Dentistry notwithstanding.

Your source didn't remember any details besides glue, glue glue? If that's the case, I'd say your source is also not in a position to relay more than vague information. This is not rocket science so not remembering any details seems emblematic of low technical understanding, or at the very least someone with little interest in the subject.

But, I hope he's right anyway, as glue is something easily altered. I fear the issue may be more complex especially in light
...Show more

That's not what I said. And I stand by the specific information posted. You're reaching, here.

Dec 10, 2014 at 06:35 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

Leica is once again a class act:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/356487-ccd-sensor-information-leica-camera.html

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:31 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Fully covering a major, known manufacturing defect like this for only 3 years from the date of original purchase doesn't seem too reassuring or customer friendly. I remember when a number of the Fuji S2Pro's were affected by a bad batch of sensors, Fuji replaced these for all affected cameras free of charge until they ran out of sensors (even 5 years later, Fuji was still honoring this recall). I would think Leica needs to come up with a much better, long term solution for their customers (and potential customers).

Mescalamba wrote:
I also remember D600 and those perfect AF points (outer) on D800.

Anyone else? I mean, Nikon was soo fast to admit its their fault.. riiight?

To be fair, dSLR history is full of such flops. And if Im correct, this "cover glass" issue took pretty long to actually show.. not issue from day one (unlike some others, from other manufacturers).

Canon 1D Mark III.... and I bought two of them! That was a love/hate relationship. I loved the camera, its ergonomics, feature set... but they were 'in the shop' at Canon multiple times, more than any other camera I've ever owned. And the AF problem was IMO never truly fixed. As soon as the sun came out while shooting field sports, AF would suddenly be all over the place. Or, massive micro focus adjustment swings going from daylight to tungsten to fluorescent... and I could list more problems. And I still have both in part because I felt too guilty to pass them on to someone else. Oh, and the sensor cover glass in one cracked, too! Canon quoted ~$1500 at the time to replace it, but that was about the most I could even hope to get for the camera. It's now my #3 back up and I do shoot with it from time to time. Usually the arcing line through the image isn't that noticeable, unless you know where to look.

I should add this to the 'worst equipment mistake' thread.

But I digress...

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

That seems rather different than the 'depending on age of camera' business DPR were going on about.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:46 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

edwardkaraa wrote:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/356487-ccd-sensor-information-leica-camera.html

Indeed.

I wonder how this will work as an upgrade path to an M? Is it only for affected cameras, or for any M9? On the cynical side, I wonder how this might create a 'beater M9 trade-in for an M market'?

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:51 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

rscheffler wrote:
Indeed.

I wonder how this will work as an upgrade path to an M? Is it only for affected cameras, or for any M9? On the cynical side, I wonder how this might create a 'beater M9 trade-in for an M market'?

I think the main point is that there will be renewed confidence in the M9 and other variations. You can sell your camera or buy one knowing that Leica will fix it for free in case the problem occurs. This will probably bring up the prices to where they were a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how good is the upgrade offer but I guess one can always get better deal by selling to an individual rather than upgrading.

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

edwardkaraa wrote:

Great! That's exactly how something like this should be handled. Leica just bought a lot of good will and polished their brand with that response.

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

Official Leica statement on the matter:

http://en.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/About-Leica-News/Global/Important-Information-Concerning-the-CCD-Sensors

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Great! That's exactly how something like this should be handled. Leica just bought a lot of good will and polished their brand with that response.

You should have bought one before the statement came out, Tariq!

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

edwardkaraa wrote:
You should have bought one before the statement came out, Tariq!

Ha. Why would I want to use 11yr old sensor tech (is that what you said?) and an ancient rangefinder with no live view? Just kidding of course.

I actually did take a look at prices recently and I don't really see where they took a major dive via the auction site.

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

rscheffler wrote:
Canon 1D Mark III.... and I bought two of them! That was a love/hate relationship. I loved the camera, its ergonomics, feature set... but they were 'in the shop' at Canon multiple times, more than any other camera I've ever owned. And the AF problem was IMO never truly fixed. As soon as the sun came out while shooting field sports, AF would suddenly be all over the place. Or, massive micro focus adjustment swings going from daylight to tungsten to fluorescent... and I could list more problems. And I still have both in part because I felt too guilty
...Show more

Don't get me started on Canon. They are indefinitely on my naughty list!

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:31 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Ha. Why would I want to use 11yr old sensor tech (is that what you said?) and an ancient rangefinder with no live view? Just kidding of course.

I actually did take a look at prices recently and I don't really see where they took a major dive via the auction site.

Not the right place to look. There are on facebook several Leica buy and sell groups, and I saw some really unbelievable deals on the M9, M9P and MM as the owners panicked, but no one was willing to buy. I'm sure the sellers have backpedalled now

Dec 10, 2014 at 01:07 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

edwardkaraa wrote:
Not the right place to look. There are on facebook several Leica buy and sell groups, and I saw some really unbelievable deals on the M9, M9P and MM as the owners panicked, but no one was willing to buy. I'm sure the sellers have backpedalled now

I never would have thought to look there but I should have known that's where all the old folks hang out these days (and I'm not far from one myself!). Guess I should have done my research.

Dec 10, 2014 at 02:08 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

edwardkaraa wrote:

I am watching some of those groups, too - I saw that some Leica M lenses which suffer issues on Sony A7 series cameras dropped a bit in price and appear more often on sale currently. Good example is the 35/2 ASPH lens. Looks like people try to get rid of it - great lens on any M series camera, but a big bummer on an A7(R).

Dec 10, 2014 at 02:12 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

edwardkaraa wrote:

+1

Every manufacturer can and will have issues, but it is how you handle the problems/issues that arise that count!!!

Dec 10, 2014 at 03:41 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I never would have thought to look there but I should have known that's where all the old folks hang out these days (and I'm not far from one myself!). Guess I should have done my research.

These days if you're not on facebook, you're so old fashioned )) Even Dr. Kaufmann is on FB.

Dec 10, 2014 at 09:20 PM
shujert
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

According to Facebook's engagement with 25 and under, you're old fashioned if you're ON facebook

Dec 10, 2014 at 09:54 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

shujert wrote:
According to Facebook's engagement with 25 and under, you're old fashioned if you're ON facebook

Well I have to admit that I'm an old fart

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:33 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

I think it's worth a paste.
Leica:
"In some cases, particularly when using the camera models Leica M9, M9-P, M Monochrom or M-E with smaller apertures (5.6-22), effects caused by corrosion of the sensor glass may be encountered. Leica offers a free replacement service for the CCD sensors of cameras affected by this problem as a goodwill arrangement. This goodwill arrangement applies regardless of the age of the camera and also covers sensors that have already been replaced in the past. Customers who have already been charged for the replacement of a sensor affected by this problem will receive a refund.

We have now identified the problem and are currently concentrating our efforts on finding a permanent technical solution."

I think that's what we all wanted to hear

My M9 is simply a dream, with incredible results I often don't need to touch in post. If that's out-dated, call me classic Any upgrade for me will have to be a much smaller body, able to shoot M lenses full frame.

It's perfectly matched in rez to the retina iMac, and I have no lust for more MP. It way outperforms my A7 at the FLs which are most important to me. In fact, at 28mm for daylight stills I don't think there is a better camera in the world, honestly.

The most serious sony has many less MP and many other issues, at least for my workflow.

Edward and Ron prove the 240 is also great, but wonderful as that camera is, I prefer the M9 look and color. I feel very very lucky to have one.

Dec 11, 2014 at 03:04 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Leica M9 Class Sensor Issue

If turnaround time is more than a week with Leica paying shipping both ways - they are once again screwing their customers.

Dec 11, 2014 at 03:59 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.