New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Pentax K-3 as an architectural camera

aboudd
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pentax K-3 as an architectural camera

I have posted the second chapter of my extensive review of the Pentax K3 on my blog. This installment covers use of the K3 as an architectural camera using the live view composition adjustment feature. I tested it out during one of my regular assignments. I use the Canon with TS-E lenses. While I probably would not use the K3 for this purpose, my clients sometimes make huge prints, the K3 could replace the Canon for my travel work and that would be just fine with me.

Composition adjust is enabled in custom settings on the K3. When live view is used the first screen has an overlay for adjustments to both horizontal and vertical shift. You make the adjustments, press OK and then continue with the exposure. It will not replace the range on a TS-E or PC-E lens, but it is useful and it makes any lens mounted on the K3 a shift lens. I have posted before and after images on the blog.

If you have interest in this feature you will find my review at www.foto-gizmo.blogspot.com

Foto-Gizmo has no sponsorship, I review only gear I buy for my work so the reviews are unbiased. I write it because I enjoy it and I like to share some of the knowledge I have accumulated over 50 years of taking photographs.

Sep 28, 2014 at 08:10 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pentax K-3 as an architectural camera

From your article:

"...I started thinking of the K3 with the 15MM lens as an alternative to my Canons with TSE lenses."

Perhaps a lens like the Samyang 14mm would be a better choice for architecture and landscape use where you need to get the most out of the sensor across the frame vs. the Pentax Limited 15. I say that as the Pentax 15, while one of the sharpest wides I have used centrally, falls off in sharpness quite a bit outside the center. It's image circle also barely covers APS, making it less useful for the Pentax sensor shift option (as I found out when I tested it on my A7r). The drop off in sharpness could be due to field curvature, I'm not sure. For critical work, it's not really ideal if you need to maximize image quality at the borders and corners (such as for some architectural and landscape work). It would be interesting to hear though what you found with the closer interior type shots as maybe the field curvature (if that's the cause for the drop in sharpness) could have worked to advantage? For more distant subject matter, it's an issue.

Sep 28, 2014 at 02:21 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pentax K-3 as an architectural camera

Tariq Gibran wrote:
From your article:

"...I started thinking of the K3 with the 15MM lens as an alternative to my Canons with TSE lenses."

Perhaps a lens like the Samyang 14mm would be a better choice for architecture and landscape use where you need to get the most out of the sensor across the frame vs. the Pentax Limited 15. I say that as the Pentax 15, while one of the sharpest wides I have used centrally, falls off in sharpness quite a bit outside the center. It's image circle also barely covers APS, making it less useful for the Pentax sensor shift
...Show more

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them. If the work is critical, I would use my Canon bodies with the TS-E lenses. I made the point in the article that this was a solution for my travel photography, not for my assignment work. As to the the various lenses available for the Pentax, again, to make my life easier when I am traveling, I prefer a lens that communicates with the camera, which I believe the Samyang does not, and I like the AF option as well. The 15MM Ltd is also very compact and light in weight, another requirement for travel. As to corner degradation of an image, that is sometimes an issue with TS-E lenses when in full shift position as well. At some point I'll shoot a full test on the 15MM and post a review.

I have no knowledge whatsoever, of the technical and engineering aspects of lens matching to sensors, but I would I think testing the Pentax HD 15MM DA on the K3 would be the proper test, not on another manufacturers body.

Sep 28, 2014 at 02:53 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pentax K-3 as an architectural camera

The Pentax 15 ltd is a great lens imo, and particularly suited for editorial type work. My main point is that it's not ideal for critical applications such as a lot of architecture type subject matter. I do believe, after using the K3 fairly extensively, it's sensor as well as it's other great technical features, are fully up to pretty much any task. The issue seems to be finding glass that's fully capable of taking advantage of that great body and sensor.

The test of the Pentax 15 Ltd I did on the A7r was done to get an idea of just how large the image circle is for this lens. That of course is not going to change no matter which body the lens is used on. I was also curious if the drop off in sharpness might be due to the smaller image circle. That could be the case as well. I guess it's the price paid for the size of many of the DA Ltd's.

If using a wide angle lens on the K3 with the intention to take full advantage of the sensor shift capability, it makes a lot of sense to use a lens with a larger image circle, which is one of my main points. Thus, if, as your article states, you need large display prints for clients and you want to find out if the Pentax K3 is capable of providing that, another lens would likely perform better than the 15 Ltd (at the cost of size of course).

I guess I mis-interpreted the part where you did not intend the K3+15Ltd to be up to client quality for possible assignment work (assignment work that includes travel) as the article sort of infers that (as well as the thread title):

"As my assignment work is about 75% architectural, I started thinking of the K3 with the 15MM lens as an alternative to my Canons with TSE lenses."...
"I need Canon's full frame larger sensor for my clients, who often need large display prints. So a few thought balloons floated up the inside my skull. How much use could I get out of this idea? Could I use it for architectural images when I travel? Would the range of shift be equal to the TS-E lens? Would there be image degradation, especially in the corners with the sensor shift? With all of that in mind, I set off to do a few shots during an actual architectural assignment. "

Sep 28, 2014 at 04:17 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pentax K-3 as an architectural camera

To be clear, if I am traveling on assignment, the heavy Canon kit goes along. If I am traveling casually, or shooting on the street as I did last week in Rehoboth Beach, the K-3 is fine and the shift will be useful to some degree.

Sep 28, 2014 at 08:55 PM
basilwestrich

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pentax K-3 as an architectural camera

Looks like a good review. I have a K5 and a K5-IIs and find the viewfinder a bit of a challenge. I haven't handled a K3 but I have seen some favorable comments on the viewfinder.

hidden spy cameras

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:03 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.