New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

Spencer Cox

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

Hello everyone,

I'm working on purchasing the Really Right Stuff tqc-14 tripod for an upcoming trip, but I have one question about it. Although I have seen people mention in passing that it is possible to remove the quick column from this tripod, I have never seen any photos of the tripod without the center column. Because I will be backpacking, I want to shave off any weight I can, so the center column must go! Although I am fairly confident that it is possible to remove the column, I would love to see a photo of what the tripod looks like without it. I'm also wondering if it would shorten the folded length of the tripod by an inch or two because it would not longer have the twisting lever at the top of the legs.

If anyone owns this tripod and has a minute to post a photo where it doesn't have the quick column, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2014 at 09:58 PM
doogie2304
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

hi spencer,

the centre column can be removed but the twisting 'butterfly knob' stays on, so the folded height stays the same.

by my kitchen scales, the centre column weighs 99grams (3.5oz) and having travelled with mine, i personally think the extra weight is worth it for the convemience of the centre column.

here's a quick photo i just did without the column.

http://static.squarespace.com/static/511aeeb1e4b0d00cab6a716a/t/53f95e83e4b0d9e8e27140cb/1408851593567/?format=1500w

regards,

douglas

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Spencer Cox

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't realize it was so light— that's a huge plus!

~Spencer

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

they decided to stay with al alloy because the actual weight difference between CF and Alloy on this item would be negligible but cost and reliability issues would rise. added complexity too.

mine stays on and is quite rigid extended.

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:11 AM
Madriver15

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

I would appreciate advice with my really Right Stuff TQC14 tripod center column. I had the wing nut off and a rubber O-ring come out. I can’t seem to figure out how to reassemble correctly and can’t find instructions on line. Anyone familiar with this?

Jun 02, 2022 at 06:35 PM
jschulze
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

You could look into the TFC-14 or the TFC conversion for the TQC-14 if you want to shave a bit of weight and bulk.

Jun 02, 2022 at 06:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

yep, takes about 10 minutes to convert over with 2 5/32" Allen wrenches. it does reduce the diameter too.

Jun 02, 2022 at 07:26 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

I struggled quite a bit to decide between the TQC-14 and thd the TFC-14, and really did not wanted a fold leg backwards for carry/storage setup.
Then looked back at my other tripod with center column and realized that seldom used the extension; so for travel/hiking purposes the height provided by the TFC is indeed enough for my needs.
Sirui has this little extension pole - SL-200 that actually works well enough in a pinch, for situations that actually extra height is needed
As I have all my tripods with QR plates and ballheads with dovetail bases, adding one to each end, increase its weight a bit, but still a convenient accessory to have in hand. Also keeps the TFC unchanged.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1605319-REG/sirui_sl200_carbon_fiber_center_column.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4uaUBhC8ARIsANUuDjWZQeFWWxK9_YjYwTVze29eq7W99SOLgnT7KdxxcBqfZlWAXhKftBAaAn2dEALw_wcB
or Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KD4LR97/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1

Jun 03, 2022 at 08:53 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

Madriver15 wrote:
I would appreciate advice with my really Right Stuff TQC14 tripod center column. I had the wing nut off and a rubber O-ring come out. I can’t seem to figure out how to reassemble correctly and can’t find instructions online. Anyone familiar with this?

the only rubber o ring is on the base of the center post hook (removable) on mine and just stretch it into the groove there.

now, i have a rev 1 of this tripod. the cinch locking mechanism has no rubber o ring in it at all. this is a pic of the parts that make up the center post cinch locking mechanism

1- look down into the hole on the spider. note the notch. drop 1 of the 2 thin open rings in aligning the opening of the ring with the notch.
2- next is the large spacer. note it has only one large slot in it. drop it in aligning that slot with the notch stacking it on top of the thing ring. it should fill the hole to the to the top even to it.
3- the second thin ring sits on top of the large spacer and the wing nut threads on the spider thread. there is no alignment on this ring necessary other than horizontal for the that ring. spin down the wing nut but not all the way (otherwise the center post will not go down due to the locking mechanism being cinched.
4- with the center post hook off note the groove along its length. align that groove with the notch in the platform and it should slide down easily.
5- adjust the wingnut for relative smooth movement and check the operation of the cinch mechanism (locked there should be no side to side movement unless there has been lots of use and wear*). replace the hook. use it well.

*replacement parts are available from RRS

addendum: this O ring you speak of, does it fit snugly on the center post shaft? if so they may have added it to act as a bumper under the platform when it bottoms out on the wingnut. i have seen this on other makers tripods.

Edited on Jun 05, 2022 at 05:28 AM · View previous versions

Jun 03, 2022 at 10:20 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

Bacalhau wrote:
I struggled quite a bit to decide between the TQC-14 and thd the TFC-14, and really did not wanted a fold leg backwards for carry/storage setup.
Then looked back at my other tripod with center column and realized that seldom used the extension; so for travel/hiking purposes the height provided by the TFC is indeed enough for my needs.
Sirui has this little extension pole - SL-200 that actually works well enough in a pinch, for situations that actually extra height is needed
As I have all my tripods with QR plates and ballheads with dovetail bases, adding one to each end, increase
...Show more

it also weighs in at 8oz

a fold leg backwards for carry/storage setup. the TQC does not do the leg back flip.

there is a subtle difference in the builds of the center posts the RRS one is quite rigid for its size/build. no comparison.

Jun 03, 2022 at 10:29 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

sjms wrote:
it also weighs in at 8oz

. the TQC does not do the leg back flip.

there is a subtle difference in the builds of the center posts the RRS one is quite rigid for its size/build. no comparison.

indeed not - I might be wrong but the Gitzo "equivalent" does....?
yes, was really a toss between both models, and I know is fairly easy to remove the center column if one needs to set the tripod really low - the TFC was is simpler/cleaner way to do it which I might need more than height.

The extra weight is a compromise for sure, and so is the product quality - I do have the sirui AM-254 and is just enough for what might wife needs and uses it for. That pole extender was part of the kit/package, but with a AS dovetail plate, I can now mount it on the TFC in a pinch.

Jun 03, 2022 at 12:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

your attachment point is the base screw. now that's fine. its already extended though extend it more and it becomes way less stable as there is less grip around the material. in fact there is no grip at all other than at the base screw. that removes any formal load bearing for the side. this is not a a good load bearing component design. it lacks the vertical stability of the TQC. i know this as i had one for a few days with another tripod and returned it all. for me not nearly as usable.

when i purchased my TQC there was no TFC. i'm real glad i have the TQC that i can easily convert to a TFC if i want to.

i believe in the concept of KISS. it works

Jun 03, 2022 at 12:57 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

sjms wrote:
your attachment point is the base screw. now that's fine. its already extended though extend it more and it becomes way less stable as there is less grip around the material. in fact there is no grip at all other than at the base screw. that removes any formal load bearing for the side. this is not a a good load bearing component design. it lacks the vertical stability of the TQC. i know this as i had one for a few days with another tripod and returned. for me not nearly as usable.

when i purchased my TQC there was
...Show more

Actually I do use a QR plate with it...BUT, still attaches to that removable screw and plate - weak points ofcourse

Basically you have two bases and one set of legs

Jun 03, 2022 at 01:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

thats what i have 2 platforms and one well used set of legs

if you look carefully at how things are actually made you would find it interesting what differences there are.

Jun 03, 2022 at 01:08 PM
Madriver15

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

Thanks for taking time to help, but my tripod has different parts. I sent pictures of my tripod to RRS and they are helping. Hats off to RRS for good customer service.

Jun 05, 2022 at 06:33 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

i have had mine for quite a while. as i said a rev 1. its been around.

Jun 05, 2022 at 06:44 AM
pantau

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

Hey I also have v1 of that tripod and i removed the column, but the screw of the base seems to be very long so when I attach the hook the whole thing is not close enough to the apex on both sides. So I need to unscrew the butterfly knob until it almost gets of the thread. pic attached.

any idea whats wrong here ?

oh pic not attached cause im not upsell member or somthing. ill try to pm it to you

cheers,

Jan 24, 2024 at 06:41 AM
pantau

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

i cannot pm you either - not allowed

Jan 24, 2024 at 06:42 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

removing the column itself is very simple. what exactly trying to accomplish?

Jan 24, 2024 at 06:51 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · RRS tqc-14 center column removal

transmorgifying the center column into a shorty.

you have the basic setup.

screw down (tighten) the big wingnut.
take the platform off and hook from the post
screw them together where the post was till they bottom out together.
screw the wingnut up and snug it shouldn't be much.

NIKON Z 6    NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S lens    71mm    f/5.6    1/50s    25600 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON Z 6    NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S lens    70mm    f/5.6    1/125s    12800 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON Z 6    NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S lens    38mm    f/5.6    1/125s    8000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 24, 2024 at 08:59 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.