Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
       19       end

New macro shooters Post pics here .

leonasj
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

handheld,jpeg

Super-Macro-Takumar 1:4/50mm

GFX 50R    50mm    f/0/0    1/160s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 06, 2022 at 12:24 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

leonasj wrote:
handheld,jpeg

Nice result. It might be worth increasing contrast.

The red fruit is rather central and there is not much of interest to the left of it so a crop might be interesting.

Harold

Sep 06, 2022 at 01:12 PM
leonasj
• • •
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

e6filmuser wrote:
Nice result. It might be worth increasing contrast.

The red fruit is rather central and there is not much of interest to the left of it so a crop might be interesting.

Harold

red fruit better more left place or right?

Sep 07, 2022 at 04:55 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

leonasj wrote:
red fruit better more left place or right?

If you cut away about a quarter of the left of the image and a similar amount from the bottom, the red fruit will then be in about the best position.

Harold

Sep 07, 2022 at 06:36 AM
n.v.m.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

i'm thinking of getting back into some macro photography(insects) since i now have a Canon R5 and was wondering if anybody here has noticed that IBIS has helped produce sharper images?

Oct 01, 2022 at 04:46 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

n.v.m. wrote:
i'm thinking of getting back into some macro photography(insects) since i now have a Canon R5 and was wondering if anybody here has noticed that IBIS has helped produce sharper images?

Yes but I have very rarely had it switched off. With manual lenses (I have many) you need to set the focal length.

Harold

Oct 01, 2022 at 04:59 AM
n.v.m.
• • •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

if it were accidentally switched off, you would notice something was different with your usual results?

Oct 01, 2022 at 05:26 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

n.v.m. wrote:
if it were accidentally switched off, you would notice something was different with your usual results?

Such an accident is unlikely, as I would have to select IS, alter it and confirm, three distinct actions. Setting the focal length would not involve that part of the menu.

Harold

Oct 01, 2022 at 06:05 AM
n.v.m.
• • •
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

to make a point i created that scenario. the chances of it happening was not meant to be questioned.

Oct 01, 2022 at 06:14 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

n.v.m. wrote:
to make a point i created that scenario. the chances of it happening was not meant to be questioned.

IS is only important at slow shutter speeds which are not generally suitable for freezing subject movement. I have it switched on because there is no point in switching it off, not that I think it is always essential.

When I first welcomed IS it was because I couldn't use flash e.g. in church interiors, not so much for macro, although there ae times when it may have contributed in daylight for the latter.

Harold

Oct 01, 2022 at 06:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

koenkooi
• •
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

n.v.m. wrote:

When using the R5 with the 180L lens, the IBIS doesn't help a lot with the resulting images, but it does help a lot with stabilizing the viewfinder. It's much less jittery and distracting, which frees up a lot of my attention to get a better shot.

Oct 17, 2022 at 01:38 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

When I am doing high mag with my Laowa 25mm x2.5 to x5, the viewfinder image can be jumping all over the place. Using a high intensity diode torch to illuminate the subject prevents that.

Harold

Oct 17, 2022 at 02:22 AM
ndcisiv

p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Green bee, hand held

Oct 17, 2022 at 09:26 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

ndcisiv wrote:
Green bee, hand held

Very good. I love the setting.

I would have cropped out a chunk of the right side of the frame.

Harold

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:27 PM
Lancemountain

p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Just read this whole thread, very helpful folks!

I do have a general macro question if anyone has the time. I have been taking photos of sempervivum (hens and chicks) in my garden. I use a z6 and the 105mm micro lens. Would you recommend flash for this type of photography? I am using early morning or later afternoon natural light and getting somewhat fuzzy results. Tripod use

Oct 21, 2022 at 09:18 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Lancemountain wrote:
Just read this whole thread, very helpful folks!

I do have a general macro question if anyone has the time. I have been taking photos of sempervivum (hens and chicks) in my garden. I use a z6 and the 105mm micro lens. Would you recommend flash for this type of photography? I am using early morning or later afternoon natural light and getting somewhat fuzzy results. Tripod use

Natural light generally gives more-pleasing results.

I started out using flash for all my macro in the days when the film I used was ISO 25.

With digital, Image Stability makes all the difference and I started using only daylight. If you hold your breath during an exposure do it when you have breathed out.

Now, I use daylight for close-up an macro at around 1:1. At higher magnifications I use twin flash.

For many years I avoided using ISO above 800. Recently, except for the higher magnifications, I use high ISO, 1000 to 5000, occasionally higher. There is more noise but it cleans up nicely. Because of the tiny effective apertures at high magnification, flash is essential to get enough light and to freeze camera or subject movement.

I used to use a very versatile tripod, mainly for flowers but it is surprising how much air movement there is. Unless you are working alone, and not keeping up with a group, a tripod is impractical. You won't get near many insects with one and they are too slow to use.

Most images posted here are with hand-held cameras, usually with flash.

I give technical details in my posts. For subjects near or at ground level I use free-standing, remote control guns and they don't move between frames for stereo pairs.

Daylight (sunlight) can be very directional. Many macro shooters use huge diffusers on hot shoe flash. I prefer 2, sometimes 3 small (diffused) units. I have forward-tilting units which are very useful for tiny subjects on the ground or in the studio.

If you are going to do much macro you may find kneepads useful.

I hope some of this helps.

Harold

Oct 21, 2022 at 09:49 AM
ndcisiv

p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Bees at work.

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:03 AM
bmike-vt
• • •
p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

New to macro, having switched bodies I found myself liking the Sony 90mm 2.8 G Macro so Iíve been playing with it. I havenít had the time nor patience yet to really focus on a subject, but hope to do that soon. For now Iím enjoying both the detail and the challenge and beauty of what kind of DoF you can get with images like these.

The edge of a leaf, we are nearing the end of fall here in Switzerland.

End of the Season (edited) by Mike, on Flickr

Abstracted plant with burrs and barbs:

Prickly by Mike, on Flickr

A detail of a control box at ZŁrich Hauptbahnhof:

Texture, Gleis 15 by Mike, on Flickr

A bolt, spotted walking home from groceries:

Bolt by Mike, on Flickr

Espresso cups left at the station:

Espresso by Mike, on Flickr

The handle of a piece of machinery left in a local field:

Details by Mike, on Flickr

Forest fungi:

Forest Fungi by Mike, on Flickr

A leaf lit by the late afternoon sun:

Fall by Mike, on Flickr

Nov 07, 2022 at 02:04 PM
524f44

p.18 #19 · p.18 #19 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Newish macro shooter. I'm on and off with this genre. But couldn't resist a TT Artisan 40mm Macro lens for less that $100... Coupled to my Fuji X-T2 and a nice BW recipe, behold (SOOC)

--
Rod

Edited on Nov 13, 2022 at 09:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2022 at 08:12 PM
524f44

p.18 #20 · p.18 #20 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Second example taken with my new TTArtisan lens:

DSCF0232

Not bad detail from a $99 lens.
--
Rod

Nov 13, 2022 at 08:19 PM
       19       end

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

19       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register