FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I talked to Spencer a bit about this. All 20ish of my MagMods are fine... He said that in the first round there was one mold that apparently had a small bubble in it. There were 8 molds so I think it only affected 1/8 max, which is why a few had tears. Luckily Spencer is the hardest worker in the world and was all over it.

Yeah, I'm really happy with my replacements. The new ones definitely have a thicker side wall on the area around the magnets, visually it looks to be almost twice as thick as the previous model.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:27 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head

I used the MagMods on my SB-910s once and it was a pain to get on/off if needed quickly, and a bit wide for storage.

Do you all really find it that much better for the gels and all? I'm thinking about selling my two MagMods as less might be more for me. =/

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:12 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head

thank you for doing this, I am trying to learn how to best use the magmods since I am new to grids though I have started zooming the flash heads too.... so this is super helpful

Jul 29, 2014 at 03:42 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head

MazeRunner wrote:
I used the MagMods on my SB-910s once and it was a pain to get on/off if needed quickly, and a bit wide for storage.

I have dedicated OC speed lights for the MagMods that way I don't have to pull them on and off at a wedding. I also have a dedicated lighting bag/case that has five speed lights, an LED light, a Lowell ID light, batteries and light stand adapters etc. so space is not an issue.

MazeRunner wrote:
Do you all really find it that much better for the gels and all? I'm thinking about selling my two MagMods as less might be more for me. =/

Well I think they have the best set-up for the quick change of grids and gels. They also have the thinest grids that I have come across.

Jul 29, 2014 at 03:58 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head

MazeRunner wrote:

The difficulty in storing them in my bag was the deal-killer for me. I shared that concern with Spencer when he was in the early design stages and I guess he disagreed or I was in the minority. Nice product otherwise, but it was dead in the water when I realized that even in my large bag I would have to rearrange everything and sacrifice space AND still make my bag bulge and risk breaking the zipper on my $400 bag. No thank you. I maintain that the rubber could have been made thinner or that somewhat less powerful and smaller magnets perhaps should have been used to allow a smaller footprint. Also the gel kit really needed a little *thing* of some kind to keep them organized to be useful during a shoot for me. If it's a headache to find something, I'm simply not going to use it.

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:17 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head

TTLKurtis wrote:
I maintain that the rubber could have been made thinner or that somewhat less powerful and smaller magnets perhaps should have been used to allow a smaller footprint.

Silicon that surrounds the magnets was originally thinner but that has given them problems with the silicon tearing out in the field so they have doubled the thickness around the magnets to prevent the treating.

TTLKurtis wrote:
Also the gel kit really needed a little *thing* of some kind to keep them organized to be useful during a shoot for me. If it's a headache to find something, I'm simply not going to use it.

I just leave mine in the little boxes that they came in, they are thin enough to slide into side pockets inside my lighting case. The boxes are barely thicker than my iPhone and roughly an 1" wider and 1/4" longer than my 4s. Probably the same length as the iPhone 5, 5s.

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:44 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head

MRomine wrote:
Silicon that surrounds the magnets was originally thinner but that has given them problems with the silicon tearing out in the field so they have doubled the thickness around the magnets to prevent the treating.

I just leave mine in the little boxes that they came in, they are thin enough to slide into side pockets inside my lighting case. The boxes are barely thicker than my iPhone and roughly an 1" wider and 1/4" longer than my 4s. Probably the same length as the iPhone 5, 5s.

Like I said, smaller magnets then. I know they're big for possible future light mods, but for grids and things I do not need such a large and powerful magnet and would have strongly preferred a Lite version.

As for the organization of gels, I'm talking about sleeves or something for different intensities of tungsten and so forth so I don't have to hold them up to the light to figure out which thing I want.

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:05 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head

TTLKurtis wrote:
Like I said, smaller magnets then. I know they're big for possible future light mods, but for grids and things I do not need such a large and powerful magnet and would have strongly preferred a Lite version.

As for the organization of gels, I'm talking about sleeves or something for different intensities of tungsten and so forth so I don't have to hold them up to the light to figure out which thing I want.

You can always just write on the gels in sharpie. The edges are not in the light path anyways.

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:13 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head

TTLKurtis wrote:

This is probably a trade off, some are complaining that the grid or gel holder gets knocked off too easily with an on-camera flash unit. So smaller magnets would probably mean weaker ones and more likely to knock off the grid or gel holder when walking around.

TTLKurtis wrote:

Just use a sharpie and mark on the edge of them 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 CTO etc

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:16 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head

MRomine wrote:
This is probably a trade off, some are complaining that the grid or gel holder gets knocked off too easily with an on-camera flash unit. So smaller magnets would probably mean weaker ones and more likely to knock off the grid or gel holder when walking around.

Just use a sharpie and mark on the edge of them 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 CTO etc

Getting knocked off has much more to do with the oversized gel holder - if it sat inside of a lip with only a tiny pull tab to remove it, it wouldn't get knocked off. Another thing I pointed out and was ignored unfortunately.

Sure you could just label them but I'd rather have them neatly organized so neither myself nor my assistant has to go through a pile of them to find what we want. If I had made and cut the gels myself that's fine, but as a finished product it would have been a nice detail.

Still have a lot of respect for Spencer pulling off what he did with MagMods, and I'm sure he will refine the product over time, it just didn't quite work out for me and my specific OCD needs. (that is not supposed to say OCF, though that is also fitting)

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:32 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head

Glad to see so many fans here. I love reading how people are using MagMod, both the good and the bad. I don't spend as much time as I'd like checking out the conversations on the many forums, but since FM is kind of my "home" in forumland, I figured I'd chime in on a few comments.

For anyone that has had a failure with the MagGrip (it tore down the sides of the magnets), please send us an email. As others have said, we have since updated them and they are quite a bit improved. Like Tony had mentioned, this was not a problem with the many we had tested in pre-production, before our Kickstarter was ever launched. Based on some of the things we have tested, and the number of failures we have been made aware of, it is a pretty limited number. Since we cannot inspect the production mold personally, it's hard to make a solid conclusion on what happened, but we feel it is one of the cavities in the large mold. So far everyone has been happy with the replacements. We'll hook you up.

For anyone that has difficulties with the magnets coming out, we are well aware of the possibilities and frustrations that happens along with it. Had I had a lot more money to invest in dozens of theoretical designs, it could certainly have been improved. Since February we have been pushing the limits of the industrial design envelope and asking our manufacturers to experiment with some complicated methods of manufacturing and we feel we have landed on a great solution to make sure the magnets are secure, and stronger at the same time. I can't say the cats out of the bag just yet, but we should hopefully have some announcements soon Not to mention, we have some exciting new products in the lineup for this Fall as well. It's through feedback we receive, and find here on the forums, that allows us to make improvements and continue to innovate. LOTS of designs are in the works, but we're taking our time to make sure they're just right.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:46 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head

sboerup wrote:
Glad to see so many fans here. I love reading how people are using MagMod, both the good and the bad. I don't spend as much time as I'd like checking out the conversations on the many forums, but since FM is kind of my "home" in forumland, I figured I'd chime in on a few comments.

For anyone that has had a failure with the MagGrip (it tore down the sides of the magnets), please send us an email. As others have said, we have since updated them and they are quite a bit improved. Like Tony had mentioned, this
...Show more

Great to hear on the magnets getting pulled out, it can be a real PITA when that happens. (and is one of the very few issues I have had, love these buggers)

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:23 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.