Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2014 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head

  
 
MRomine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


For those who have been wondering about the difference between the light pattern of a speed light with a grid and one without a grid but with the head zoomed my find this little test helpful.

Both speed lights are SB900 and 6ft from a white painted wall set for manual @ 1/32 power.

The left speed light has a MagMod on it the other does not.


http://rominephotography.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v102/p934401750.jpg

http://rominephotography.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v182/p972164364.jpg

http://rominephotography.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v103/p609404191.jpg

http://rominephotography.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v147/p619668152.jpg

http://rominephotography.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v181/p965535887.jpg

http://rominephotography.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v109/p688599092.jpg

http://rominephotography.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v180/p984943057.jpg

http://rominephotography.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v167/p959446046.jpg

http://rominephotography.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v173/p642382676.jpg



Jul 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Syracuse
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


Very interesting! I have wondered about this. Thanks for posting!


Jul 28, 2014 at 01:30 PM
MRomine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


There is an huge difference between using a single MagMod and zooming a speed light even out to 200mm. Of course this is just a Nikon brand speed light but I'm pretty sure that the other brands will be similar. A grid really narrows it down.


Jul 28, 2014 at 01:34 PM
Nikon_14
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


How would you compare it to a Honl Speed Grid?

It looks like the MagMod would be easier to take on/off, and stay on better than velcro, but would love to hear an opinion from someone who has used both.


http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/601263-REG/Honl_Photo_HONL_GRID4_1_4_Speed_Grid_for.html/c/product/#inpage:IN+STOCK#inpage:Shipping+:++$?gclid=CJSLnJ_J6L8CFa_m7Aod0x0AYg



Jul 28, 2014 at 01:39 PM
MRomine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


Nikon_14 wrote:
How would you compare it to a Honl Speed Grid?


That is what I had before but I hated it, it never really fit tight and made too much noise removing it. MagMod are more expensive but their system is superior to Honl system.

I don't have my Honl anymore but I sure the effects created by the grids would be very similar.



Jul 28, 2014 at 01:42 PM
widjayaman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


Nikon_14 wrote:
How would you compare it to a Honl Speed Grid?

It looks like the MagMod would be easier to take on/off, and stay on better than velcro, but would love to hear an opinion from someone who has used both.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/601263-REG/Honl_Photo_HONL_GRID4_1_4_Speed_Grid_for.html/c/product/#inpage:IN+STOCK#inpage:Shipping+:++$?gclid=CJSLnJ_J6L8CFa_m7Aod0x0AYg



The whole point of MagMods is to eliminate the velcro. I own a few Honls.. hated the velcro, had it fell out multiple times.. not to mention having to tape the gel into the flash.. totally clumsy, time consuming, and unprofessional.

As far as the shape of the light... they're pretty much identical.



Jul 28, 2014 at 01:48 PM
Bartlett Pair
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


This is great - thanks Mark. In addition to the obviously smaller space lit by the magmod, I am curious about power output differences. Assuming you want to use a magmod, it seems like you'll get a higher power output by also zooming the flash? Does anyone have a scientific explanation for this? Something with parallel light rays vs criss crossing?


Jul 28, 2014 at 01:50 PM
MRomine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


Bartlett Pair wrote:
This is great - thanks Mark. In addition to the obviously smaller space lit by the magmod, I am curious about power output differences. Assuming you want to use a magmod, it seems like you'll get a higher power output by also zooming the flash? Does anyone have a scientific explanation for this? Something with parallel light rays vs criss crossing?


The optimum zoom setting for getting the most output from a MagMod grid mounted seems to be in the upper zoom settings like 85mm and above. Which is no surprise because with no MagMod there is not much difference in the pattern from 120mm up through to 200mm.

Using the MagMod grid and setting the head to 50mm and wider then it really drops off.



Jul 28, 2014 at 02:01 PM
LeeSimms
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


Had to learn that one the hard way. First wedding I was using them, there was a real WTF scratching-head scene. I set 'em for 85 now.


Jul 28, 2014 at 02:08 PM
joosay
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


I love MagMods but they take up more room when putting in the bag. Also, it is easy to get swiped off the flash when moving around the dance floor. Oh and had one of the rubber inserts rip on me

But I still like it enough to keep using it for gels.



Jul 28, 2014 at 02:14 PM
MRomine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


joosay wrote:
I love MagMods but they take up more room when putting in the bag.


I store them vertically inside my bag with the flash head up.

joosay wrote:
Also, it is easy to get swiped off the flash when moving around the dance floor.


I can see that but I haven't been using them on an on-camera flash.

joosay wrote:
Oh and had one of the rubber inserts rip on me


Many from the first batch that went out have experienced this. They have beefed up the side wall to the magnet socket in recent shipments. Those that were ordered through the KickStart program will be replaced if you ask them to.




Edited on Jul 28, 2014 at 08:55 PM · View previous versions



Jul 28, 2014 at 02:35 PM
Nikon_14
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


MRomine wrote:
The optimum zoom setting for getting the most output from a MagMod grid mounted seems to be in the upper zoom settings like 85mm and above. Which is no surprise because with no MagMod there is not much difference in the pattern from 120mm up through to 200mm.

Using the MagMod grid and setting the head to 50mm and wider then it really drops off.



Seems so logical... now that it's pointed out.



Jul 28, 2014 at 02:36 PM
joelconner
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


awesome post...thanks for doing the leg work! interested to see what the Canon results would be


Jul 28, 2014 at 08:41 PM
SloPhoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


Thanks for doing the work. I am a bit surprised at how uneven the magmod is at wider settings.

Time to go back to zooming the head.



Jul 28, 2014 at 08:51 PM
MRomine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


SloPhoto wrote:
Thanks for doing the work. I am a bit surprised at how uneven the magmod is at wider settings.


I shot a couple wide ones, one at 28mm and one at 24mm and they were worse than the 35mm. They were so bad I didn't even bother to do the shots of the SB900 without the MagMod.



Jul 28, 2014 at 08:54 PM
jamesmorophoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


thanks for the article! glad I bought the magmods. zooming the head makes practically no change to the spread.


Jul 28, 2014 at 09:12 PM
joosay
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


They would replace after it's already ripped?

I store vertically as well. Used to be able to fit four within one section now just three.
MRomine wrote:
I store them vertically inside my bag with the flash head up.

I can see that but I haven't been using them on an on-camera flash.

Many from the first batch that went out have experienced this. They have beefed up the side wall to the magnet socket in recent shipments. Those that were ordered through the KickStart program will be replaced if you ask them to.





Jul 28, 2014 at 11:59 PM
MRomine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


joosay wrote:
They would replace after it's already ripped?


It was a defective design apparently, mine tore while using it at a wedding. I had an SB900 clipped to my belt on my left side with a MagMod Grip attached to it. I also had a TT lens bag over my left shoulder and when I took the lens bag off of my shoulder unknown to me one of the magnets in the MagMod Grip became attached to the metal ring on the TT bag strap. As I took the bag off my shoulder the magnet is so strong that it stayed attached to metal clip and it tore the silicone socket and pulled the magnet out of it's socket.



Jul 29, 2014 at 09:17 AM
evertdoorn
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


Loving mine

Thanks for the test. Of course it's logical, but zooming your flash head gives much more power efficiency without really changing the effect. Useful to know when you need a bit of power, outside for instance.

Shot last weekend in Berlin w. magmod.




Jul 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Tony Hoffer
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SB900 w/MagMod vs SB900 Zoomed Head


MRomine wrote:
It was a defective design apparently, mine tore while using it at a wedding. I had an SB900 clipped to my belt on my left side with a MagMod Grip attached to it. I also had a TT lens bag over my left shoulder and when I took the lens bag off of my shoulder unknown to me one of the magnets in the MagMod Grip became attached to the metal ring on the TT bag strap. As I took the bag off my shoulder the magnet is so strong that it stayed attached to metal clip and it tore
...Show more

I talked to Spencer a bit about this. All 20ish of my MagMods are fine... He said that in the first round there was one mold that apparently had a small bubble in it. There were 8 molds so I think it only affected 1/8 max, which is why a few had tears. Luckily Spencer is the hardest worker in the world and was all over it.



Jul 29, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password