Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

gheller
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

Hypothetical Question:

What model (Canon specifically) should a photographer have if earning that kind of money?

Have a buddy that is in this range and uses 5D / 5DII

Thoughts?

greg

Jul 12, 2014 at 02:05 PM
scottiet
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

Not the camera the makes the money it's the photographer!

Jul 12, 2014 at 02:11 PM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

gheller wrote:
Hypothetical Question:

What model (Canon specifically) should a photographer have if earning that kind of money?

Thoughts?

greg

ahhh...off the top of my head I'd say if he's making that kind of money...he should be using the one he's using...

Jul 12, 2014 at 02:14 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

Well, we all use what fits our style of work best.

If he needs high quality auto focus for events & similar, the 5DIII is a great camera. The quality of the autofocus is better than anything except the much more expensive 1DX.

Is he looking? Is he asking? Or are you just curious?

Canon is expected to announce some newer technology in September at Photokina. If he is doing fine with his current gear, he may want to wait and see what that looks like, for hints of the future for Canon.

What kind of work does he do?

Best,
Michael

Jul 12, 2014 at 02:46 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

yes, mostly I was just curious. It is absolutely true, that the photographer makes the art, not the camera. It's just that it seemed like you would be using higher end gear.

Mostly, family portraits and destination weddings, with some real estate.

on a related topic, he doesn't do the big weddings, its funny they make that kind of money doing the $100 jobs, with the CD included. I know some photographers don't do that kind of work, because they don't feel like they could make good money. he does between three and five gigs a day, at least 6 days a week.still well under a typical 40 hour only job, including editing.

Waiting for Photokina is a great idea, he's not really looking, but it's good advice.

Jul 12, 2014 at 03:03 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

Perhaps your friend like the feel of the 5D, the files they produce or the video capabilities of the cameras. Back in October, I bought a pristine used 1Ds3 because I prefer the 1 Series bodies, the files and I do not shoot video. The camera is a small part of the overall kit, do his lenses all have a red lines on them or Profoto on his lighting kit? Odds are if he is making that kind of money, he has a mortgage or car payment that is proportional so income. Don't judge someone by the gear they use but the quality of what they produce.

Jul 12, 2014 at 04:59 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

Mongrel wrote:
ahhh...off the top of my head I'd say if he's making that kind of money...he should be using the one he's using...

Exactly!

Jul 12, 2014 at 05:01 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

The question make little sense to me...The vast majority of photographers are using very little of the capabilities of their cameras. Sounds like he is doing a lot of bottom level jobs so the bar is not vary high, If he can get a sharp and well exposed picture that's all that he seems to need. The cheaper the better will mean more profit to him, when the shutter breaks, from shooting 25 jobs a week, either fix it for $300 or junk it and buy another $600 body.

Jul 12, 2014 at 07:20 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

gheller wrote:
Mostly:

family portraits

So much more to consider than just the camera body. Lenses, lighting, props / backdrops etc

gheller wrote:
and destination weddings,

Something small enough to travel with!

gheller wrote:
with some real estate.

Take your pick. Some guys around here use P&S cameras while others use DSLRs and Medium Format. It depends on the house and the agent.

I've seen awesome pictures come out of pretty lowly cameras over the years. If someone if making $10K a month then the client is unlikely to be hiring them based on their camera alone.

Jul 13, 2014 at 09:07 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

Dave_EP wrote:
I've seen awesome pictures come out of pretty lowly cameras over the years. If someone if making $10K a month then the client is unlikely to be hiring them based on their camera alone.

He's being hired on price...camera doesn't matter.
Sounds like he's doing 25 jobs a week "making" 10k per month at $100 per job. Gross is different than net, so what is he really "making"?

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:20 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

As for "gross" vs "net" ...

Since photographers have virtually no overhead (once they own their gear), those numbers are much closer than in most professions.

His studio is in his home, so no rent...

I guess there is insurance, and perhaps some other minor stuff, but no rent, no staff, no printing (transfers everything online).

Just about the perfect business model, if you ask me. 25 hours of shooting, another 5 - 10 editing... $120K + per year.

greg

Jul 13, 2014 at 01:19 PM
RyanGphoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

Why would he change anything? If his clients are not requesting or needing anything he is not providing why upgrade?

Unless things break or he can't produce something his clients want why change?

I have a very successful corporate and commercial photographer friend that does very well shooting with (2) Original 5D cameras and original 24-70 and 70-200 lenses.

It is absolutely the photographer not the gear.

Ryan G

Jul 13, 2014 at 05:46 PM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

gheller wrote:
As for "gross" vs "net" ...

Since photographers have virtually no overhead (once they own their gear), those numbers are much closer than in most professions.

His studio is in his home, so no rent...

I guess there is insurance, and perhaps some other minor stuff, but no rent, no staff, no printing (transfers everything online).

Just about the perfect business model, if you ask me. 25 hours of shooting, another 5 - 10 editing... $120K + per year.

greg

Once you ARE in business for yourself you realize that overhead is much more than you ever realized.
Health insurance? Liability insurance? Disability insurance? Self employment insurance? Depreciation on all that "paid for stuff"? Retirement savings?
You are responsible for every nickel needed that goes out to make ends meet sand then you need to make a profit otherwise you might as well work at Circle K.

This person is doing OK if he is working out of his home but I do know a number of photographers making many times that figure using the same gear. If you focus on the client and the project and can do it with the available gear, great. Otherwise they rent.
Commercial photography does not require endless gear of exotic type. It often requires reasonable resolution and a lens between 24-100mm. Some types of specialized fields will require TS lenses or macro or super telephoto etc. Lighting is almost certainly a must but that can be rented.

As Mickey pointed out it is what you keep not what you make. Careful tending of your craft and clients helps make the bottom line a sweet thing.

Jul 13, 2014 at 07:25 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

Mongrel wrote:

This

Jul 13, 2014 at 07:49 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

@ markd61: I agree that there are some added expenses when you run your own business, a few hundred dollars per year for insurance, etc.

*but* it pales in comparison to having overhead (yes he works out of his home).

Even as owners, you can have overhead (think: house painting business - materials, staff, etc)

greg

Jul 14, 2014 at 01:02 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2012/03/19/calculate-your-daily-codb/

This is a reality check for most of us...
The guy the OP is talking about is a perfect example of very low price and making it up on volume. In fact, if he can find enough work he could train a couple people to go out to shoot the hour long jobs at $15-$20 an hour, charge $115 and increase his bottom line substantially.
Buying more expensive / better gear is a trap to be avoided.

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

on a related topic, he doesn't do the big weddings, its funny they make that kind of money doing the $100 jobs, with the CD included. I know some photographers don't do that kind of work, because they don't feel like they could make good money. he does between three and five gigs a day, at least 6 days a week.still well under a typical 40 hour only job, including editing.

So if I do the math 5 gigs x 6 days = 30 jobs per week. Allowing one hour per job that is 30 hours per week. Hopefully he is including travel time, set up, shooting and editing into his real time invested. Not to mention anything else he needs to do that is business related like emails, marketing, invoices, taxes, etc.

I can't add much more to what has already been said and do agree with others on the camera gear above.

Jul 14, 2014 at 04:19 PM
tuantran
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

12k - 20% IRA contribution - 28% tax - 2500 house payment - 2000 child support - 1700 alimony = t3 Rebel.

Jul 14, 2014 at 04:27 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

tuantran wrote:
12k - 20% IRA contribution - 28% tax - 2500 house payment - 2000 child support - 1700 alimony = t3 Rebel.

! Some might even have to opt for an EOS M or an Olympus Pen!

- Steve

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Eric_M_Klein
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · $10K - $12K / Month, what camera?

What does your friend to for marketing? How does he find enough clients to shot 30 times per week?

Jul 17, 2014 at 04:15 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.