New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Multi-quote new feature

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Multi-quote new feature

I just finished the Multi-quote code and it's now live.

Basically you will see the 'Multi-quote' link in every forum post. (Except the original posts on the presentation boards)

By clicking on it, the quoted post is added to queue and this will let you quote as many posts as your want at once.

Once you are done adding all the quoted posts to queue, click on any quote button to bring the final quote page.
It's a very simple solution and I hope it works for us.
Best,
Fred

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:13 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Multi-quote new feature

Bam! Thanks Fred!

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:15 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Multi-quote new feature

i noticed this as well

Jun 30, 2014 at 09:40 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Multi-quote new feature

woohooo!! Thanks Fred. I'll test it out if I get more comments on my latest thread haha

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Multi-quote new feature

Yes, saw it. Great idea, Fred. Now I hope that folks actually figure out that it is perfect for replying to numerous comments to their image in ONE reply, instead of racking up multiple pages of replies to their own post, most of them from themselves.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Multi-quote new feature

Awesome! I've been wishing the forum had this feature since I joined! Thank you!

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:32 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Multi-quote new feature

What Jeffrey said!

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM
CheechzeppLn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Multi-quote new feature

Excellent fix for condensing replies from the original poster, well done. On the note of interface, I do miss seeing the like option for original posts. It is an easy way to say you find the image pleasant but don't feel compelled to leave any critique at the current moment.

Charlie

Jul 01, 2014 at 10:30 AM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Multi-quote new feature

Justin Grimm wrote:
Bam! Thanks Fred!

I couldn't help but try it out (I'm surprised nobody else did)

Dustin Gent wrote:
i noticed this as well

I wouldn't have noticed without Fred's post

roguecoolman wrote:
woohooo!! Thanks Fred. I'll test it out if I get more comments on my latest thread haha

Testing here :-)

Jeffrey wrote:
Yes, saw it. Great idea, Fred. Now I hope that folks actually figure out that it is perfect for replying to numerous comments to their image in ONE reply, instead of racking up multiple pages of replies to their own post, most of them from themselves.

Agreed - post after post of "thank you" doesn't add much to a thread

Scott Kroeker wrote:
Awesome! I've been wishing the forum had this feature since I joined! Thank you!

Me too.

Jul 01, 2014 at 10:34 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Multi-quote new feature

CheechzeppLn wrote:
Excellent fix for condensing replies from the original poster, well done. On the note of interface, I do miss seeing the like option for original posts. It is an easy way to say you find the image pleasant but don't feel compelled to leave any critique at the current moment.

Charlie

I agree with this. It was nice, as I sometimes have nothing to add or say. But just want to acknowledge the image.

On the other hand, we could get more brutal too and have a "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" counter!

Jul 01, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Multi-quote new feature

ckcarr wrote:
On the other hand, we could get more brutal too and have a "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" counter!

I don't consider that to be brutal (except to the super-sensitive types whose lives may shatter if they do not receive kudos for mediocre images). I suggested that to Fred when he first announced the 'I Like It' concept. Why only have the ability to like and not be able to dislike? They are both valid responses to a comment or image.

Jul 01, 2014 at 12:06 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Multi-quote new feature

Much appreciated

Birdie

Jul 01, 2014 at 04:42 PM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Multi-quote new feature

ckcarr wrote:
I agree with this. It was nice, as I sometimes have nothing to add or say. But just want to acknowledge the image.

Thought I'd test out multiquote as well
---------------------------------------------

Jeffrey wrote:
I don't consider that to be brutal (except to the super-sensitive types whose lives may shatter if they do not receive kudos for mediocre images). I suggested that to Fred when he first announced the 'I Like It' concept. Why only have the ability to like and not be able to dislike? They are both valid responses to a comment or image.

I disagree with your assessment Jeffrey. Sure you have people who don't like to receive criticism on their images, but you've told me that you didn't like my work, and I was fine with that. You didn't explain why, but Jim is an invaluable member of the Landscape Forum because he does explain himself. Having a dislike button provides no helpful input and requires a comment. Adding specifics like processing is overdone, composition is lacking, and why, is what makes FM so much better than Flickr (where it's all about whether you can gather a blind following of Nice Shot'ers), and other forums where it devolves into a p***ing match of egos. I would like to learn and improve, which is why I come here.

Tim

Jul 01, 2014 at 08:01 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Multi-quote new feature

Timmeh wrote:
I disagree with your assessment Jeffrey. Sure you have people who don't like to receive criticism on their images, but you've told me that you didn't like my work, and I was fine with that. You didn't explain why, but Jim is an invaluable member of the Landscape Forum because he does explain himself. Having a dislike button provides no helpful input and requires a comment. Adding specifics like processing is overdone, composition is lacking, and why, is what makes FM so much better than Flickr (where it's all about whether you can gather a blind following of Nice Shot'ers),
...Show more

Tim, what work of yours did I specifically say I did not like that I did not explain? If you want explanations, then you certainly will not care for the 'Like' system currently in place here. The purpose is to make a very quick and short statement. To be able to only do that in a positive way is defeating the learning opportunities of this forum. So, why would you like that? Unless a person can respond honestly with any reaction to a post, then the system will not work for you on two counts.

Jeffrey

Jul 07, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Multi-quote new feature

I like this option

Jul 07, 2014 at 01:36 PM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Multi-quote new feature

Jeffrey wrote:
Tim, what work of yours did I specifically say I did not like that I did not explain? If you want explanations, then you certainly will not care for the 'Like' system currently in place here. The purpose is to make a very quick and short statement. To be able to only do that in a positive way is defeating the learning opportunities of this forum. So, why would you like that? Unless a person can respond honestly with any reaction to a post, then the system will not work for you on two counts.

Jeffrey

Hey Jeffrey,

I believe it was a redwood set, where you said one was ok, but that you didn't care for the others in the set. That was useful for telling me that something worked, but you didn't give specifics about why the others didn't work. I recognize that it isn't anyone's obligation to articulate why a photo doesn't work for them, but it is helpful to any original poster to dig beyond the initial reaction of "don't like" to "don't like because..."

The current system of commenting, or liking comments works just fine for me. When perusing the Landscape Board I click on a link and either:

1. Have no reaction to a photograph. It's a properly exposed photo of something, and it doesn't have impact for me. I don't dislike it, but nothing jumps out at me. I move on to the next thread.

2. I like a photograph, and feel like I can articulate why it works for me. I comment on this. If someone has already commented and said almost exactly what I was thinking, I like their comment instead.

3. I like a photograph, but see something in the composition, processing, or some other aspect that I think could be improved. I comment and say what I like, and what could be done differently.

4. If I don't like a photograph, I will usually skip it unless I have something constructive to say about it.

For my own photos I'm looking for any kind of feedback that is constructive.

If I receive no comments, I'll take that to mean that a person either dislikes a photo, and doesn't feel comfortable enough to comment, or that the photo doesn't impact him/her. I don't think dislike would provide me with any useful feedback. Without the qualifier of mundane subject, derivative, processing is lousy, composition problems, etc., disliking doesn't tell me much, and won't help me improve. I'd be fine with a like button on original posts, but Fred made a decision to remove that (I assume because it was reducing the numbers of comments). Disliking someone's comment on a photograph usually requires clarification, though I will grant you that it may be faster in some instances to just say dislike. However, you only have to go so far as Reddit to see what a dislike button would result in. Reddit has up votes and down votes, and to me (and others I talk to) Reddit is a harsh community that devolves into petty squabbles, posturing, and other unwelcoming behavior.
You speak your mind, which I admire, but I don't think that it's safe to assume that FM will continue to be a welcoming community with a dislike button.

Tim

Jul 14, 2014 at 02:52 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Multi-quote new feature

kylebarendrick wrote:
I couldn't help but try it out (I'm surprised nobody else did)

I wouldn't have noticed without Fred's post

Testing here :-)

Agreed - post after post of "thank you" doesn't add much to a thread

Me too.

Thanks for the Multi quote, my only real issue is the truncation of quotes, I don't mind suppressing long quotes and images, but when whole parts are just gone, like when I quote 'B' who quoted 'A' and I want to reply to what 'B' said but 'A's post is missing and buried a page or two back, it makes no sense.

A prime example above.

Aug 04, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Multi-quote new feature

Dustin Gent wrote:
i noticed this as well

abc123

roguecoolman wrote:

Testing inserting white text.

Edit: Oh wow! Got it!

Oct 27, 2014 at 07:20 PM
Nerka
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Multi-quote new feature

ckcarr wrote:
What Jeffrey said!

CheechzeppLn wrote:

Charlie

Photonadave wrote:
abc123

Testing inserting white text.

Edit: Oh wow! Got it!

Yippie , got it too.

Sep 03, 2015 at 11:36 PM
elizamolly

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Multi-quote new feature

I think the MultiQuote button will add multiple quotes into the reply box, but it adds the full post as quoted text.
cheap essay writers uk

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:28 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.