FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              8       9       end

Archive 2014 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

Taylor Sherman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

Also, I agree that it's really nice that they are doing a firmware update so (relatively) soon in the product cycle compared to, say, the Nex-7.

Mar 07, 2014 at 09:16 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

BTW: Here are the new apps they were referring in the firmware upgrade page:

Smooth reflection, Live view grading and Star Trail.

Mar 07, 2014 at 11:36 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

Fred Miranda wrote:
BTW: Here are the new apps they were referring in the firmware upgrade page:

Smooth reflection, Live view grading and Star Trail.

Fixed your link Fred.

The Star trail app looks cool, I may actually buy that app.

+8? For lossless RAW!
When shooting one frame a minute, I don't really care if the processor has to work a long time to process & record the file, I just want the best IQ possible when I'm taking the time to get everything right, and when shooting 5fps sure switch to the less intensive method, but I still want the option.

I really want playback settings like my NEX-7, but with mapping functions to where I want, C2 sucks as the magnify button, I much prefer the centre button.

Speaking of mapping C2, it needs to have more options like LCD/EVF toggle, the sensor is a huge pain in the butt for me, it's worse on my A7r than my NEX-7, so I would love an option to turn it off.

Start up times... I hope that means the wake up speed is better, and that it actually goes to sleep, in have sleep set for 1 minute, and there have been many times that I will have been walking around for 10 minutes to discover it's still on and half my battery power is now gone.

Doh! Forgot to add something.
Minimum shutter speed for auto ISO in A mode + others, 1/60 just doesn't cut it for a 200mm lens.(add it to the quick navi).

Edited on Mar 08, 2014 at 05:29 AM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

Oh yes, it would be really great if they can fix the review-mode magnification UX. Still not sure how they could break it so badly compared to the Nex.

Mar 08, 2014 at 02:27 AM
The Miracle

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

+6 for lossless raw!

Mar 08, 2014 at 02:59 AM
HopeIsEternal
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Of course, that could be an Apples to Grapefruits comparison being that the A900 is a larger DSLR compared to say the A7/A7r and RX1. For instance, it could be that a tiny (for FF) body writing larger files constantly might cause heat issues unless other parts of the camera are slowed down? A 36MP, 14bit uncompressed raw would be pretty darn big for instance. Why would you even want an uncompressed Raw when we can at least get 2:1 lossless compression? Point being that there could be engineering issues at play as well.

Not true. I have the Sony A99 and it still has a 24mpx sensor , full-size DSLR build and similar 5fps like the 2008 A900 but it has no choice of real raw or compressed lossy RAW.

Since the 2008 A900 & A700 had much less powerful ASICs and processors than current Sony cameras and since both models supported both real RAW and lossy compressed RAW, I can deduce that Sony removed lossless RAW encoding in newer camera models because it believes that having two RAW recording modes is "unnecessary" and that its lossy raw compression is actually a "feature" since it allowed them to advertise smaller file sizes and also cut corners on memory buffers in their cameras.

Mar 08, 2014 at 04:43 AM
waterden
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

It's not mentioned - so probably not included - but the Auto ISO feature really should have the ability to adjust minimum shutter speed, which presently defaults to 1/60 most of the time - too slow for most handholding.

Mar 08, 2014 at 05:13 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

HopeIsEternal wrote:
Not true. I have the Sony A99 and it still has a 24mpx sensor , full-size DSLR build and similar 5fps like the 2008 A900 but it has no choice of real raw or compressed lossy RAW.

The fact is, we simply do not know if there would be issues implementing lossless raw on the current compact FF's. Some have said the a99 resorts to lossless compression in single frame mode but uses lossy compressed in the faster drive mode but I have no idea if that's true. I suppose it would be easy to check now that we have the ability to see the raw files side by side (as with RawDigger). Still, an A99 is not an A7r where heat is likely more of a concern due to it's much more compact size (and greater processing requirements in the A7r case).

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:37 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

wfrank wrote:
My bet is that the same clueless engineers have hardcoded compression and/or related functions in ASICs which among other things has given you 5FPS in the smallest FF cam ever.

I'm not a spray-and-pray JPEG shooter, so this wouldn't matter to me, even if there was a way to get my A7R to do this...

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:56 AM
itai195
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

Tariq Gibran wrote:
The fact is, we simply do not know if there would be issues implementing lossless raw on the current compact FF's. Some have said the a99 resorts to lossless compression in single frame mode but uses lossy compressed in the faster drive mode but I have no idea if that's true. I suppose it would be easy to check now that we have the ability to see the raw files side by side (as with RawDigger). Still, an A99 is not an A7r where heat is likely more of a concern due to it's much more compact size (and
...Show more

I think we also don't know how deeply the RAW compression is integrated into their processing pipeline. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they have some custom hardware performing the compression and that it would be challenging to bypass. People say they wouldn't mind waiting for slower performance, and yet the DP Merrills were constantly thrashed in some quarters for performance.

It's interesting to me that I don't recall ever seeing complaints about the lossy compression on the RX1? While I'd love to see a lossless option, it's not at the top of my list of wants regarding the A7. Faster startup times, improved auto ISO, and better image playback controls top the list for me.

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

There are so many things I would like them to fix:
1) pause for camera vibration to diminish before shutter
2) auto-iso at 1/60 settable above 1/60
3) file naming not to change with different settings, randomly
4) enabling auto focussing in live view magnification
5) enabling uncompressed raw
6) bug where continuous autobracket stops working at slow shutter speeds but works at higher shutter speeds
7) option for longer (between 5s and infinity) magnification (10s) for manual focus in live view so that infinity does not drain my battery
8) fix their raw converter software so it does not go into infinite loop
9) switch mapped to switching between viewfinder vs monitor so I don't have to flip through the ridicuously illogical menu
10) ........

None of which I see listed in the translation.

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:57 PM
akuba

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

itai195 wrote:
I think we also don't know how deeply the RAW compression is integrated into their processing pipeline. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they have some custom hardware performing the compression and that it would be challenging to bypass. People say they wouldn't mind waiting for slower performance, and yet the DP Merrills were constantly thrashed in some quarters for performance.

Based on what is known about the compression algorithm (it is very computationally cheap, it can be applied while streaming the data, and it has a fixed output size) I suspect the real question is not how integrated it is, but how cheap Sony was able to go on the parts of the pipeline by choosing this algorithm. There isn't much user-facing benefit from this algorithm (well, maybe battery savings from the computational efficiency is one). One could implement algorithms achieving better average compression ratios with less data loss - but those would require at minimum more processing power, and potentially more buffer space earlier in the pipeline. Of course only time will tell, but I'd say anyone holding their breath for lossless compression should keep an oxygen cylinder on stand-by.

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:15 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

wfrank wrote:
I dont care too much about lossless RAWs, I wouldnt hope that it would change IQ in any significant way.

I bet improved IQ are JPG tweaks - ie not interesting. Faster startup time is welcome though the camera already is pretty fast when it only has been turned off for a short while.

What I lack is the ability to set limit of shutter times with auto ISO. That would be a significant change as opposed to everything else listed.

Agreed. I really don't care about the Sony RAW's - compressed or not they are some of the best RAW files I've ever worked with.

What I do care about is:
1. Ability to limit shutter speed with auto ISO.
2. Ability to change the image playback zoom button (C2 is just not in a convenient location - drives me nuts)
3. Faster startup (only seems to bother me at times, but sometimes quite annoying).
4. Also, maybe its just me, but I have a difficult time judging exposure using the LCD and the EVF, esp in bright light (I know that there is a bright light setting, but it still causes issues for me). I have a tendency to overexpose images with the A7 if I'm not careful. Much easier to judge on my X-E1.

Fixing these issues would make the camera more enjoyable to use, much more so than offering uncompressed RAW files, at least for me.

Mar 11, 2014 at 07:44 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

really wish I could provide a custom name to the files. I have 4 Sony cameras and it's a pain. With Olympus and Leica I just give each camera a different prefix and all's good.

Looking forward to the faster startup though.

Gordon

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:26 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

michael49 wrote:
4. Also, maybe its just me, but I have a difficult time judging exposure using the LCD and the EVF, esp in bright light (I know that there is a bright light setting, but it still causes issues for me). I have a tendency to overexpose images with the A7 if I'm not careful. Much easier to judge on my X-E1.

There are both histogram and zebra options. Have you tried both?

Mar 12, 2014 at 04:52 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

Things I would like to see in future updates/upgrades:

1. Configurable ISO shutter speed
2. Custom naming of files
3. Ability set some lenses manually for menu to choose from so you can get lens info for EXIF from adapted lenses (the way Nikon handles this in most of their dslrs)

Mar 12, 2014 at 05:02 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

Not as important as other points mentioned above, but it would be nice to be able to include the copyright info into the recorded RAW files either in camera or by Sony software.

Mar 14, 2014 at 04:55 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

Why does the A7R even have jpg. If I wanted to shoot jpg I would buy a cheap P&S. I want the best quality RAW at 1 frame per minute, Screw the jpgs, let the A7 do them.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

Paul Gardner wrote:
Why does the A7R even have jpg. If I wanted to shoot jpg I would buy a cheap P&S. I want the best quality RAW at 1 frame per minute, Screw the jpgs, let the A7 do them.

Agreed. I don't understand why the A7R offers an automatic HDR mode which only works with JPG either. The manual 3- or 5-stops bracketing works fine with RAW. I only shoot RAW, disabled everything with JPG on my cameras.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:06 AM
JeanLucX

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sony A7 and A7R: New Firmware update on March 19th

can't wait for it!

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:10 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.