FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              364       365       end

The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

johnctharp wrote:
That's what I'm seeing- and the 58/1.4G seems to attain that balance of sharpness, across the frame, along with great rendering; that's something that you just don't see from the Sigmas. Now for those active Canon adapters .

I'd love to see more examples of how sharp this lens is.

I'm seeing the 58mm look like a lens that renders like it was post processed with negative sharpness, clarity and contrast when shot wide open. This contributes to the shallow depth of field and rendering, but I'll stick with my sharp lenses and just brush that effect where I want it.

If you want to see sharp lenses, check out the following:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lens-widget-fullscreen?compare=false&lensId=sigma_35_1p4&cameraId=nikon_d800&version=0&fl=35&av=1.4&view=mtf-ca

Note how much sharper say the Sigma 35mm is wide open compared to the Nikon 58mm wide open at F1.4?

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

I'd love to see more examples of how sharp this lens is.

I'm seeing the 58mm look like a lens that renders like it was post processed with negative sharpness, clarity and contrast when shot wide open. This contributes to the shallow depth of field and rendering, but I'll stick with my sharp lenses and just brush that effect where I want it.

If you want to see sharp lenses, check out the following:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lens-widget-fullscreen?compare=false&lensId=sigma_35_1p4&cameraId=nikon_d800&version=0&fl=35&av=1.4&view=mtf-ca

Note how much sharper say the Sigma 35mm is wide open compared to the Nikon 58mm wide open at F1.4?

That's a valid approach. I do the opposite myself - intensive sharpening on the subject and leave the beautiful bokeh as-is. I suppose it's difficult to design a lens that's very sharp wide-open while also having smooth bokeh. The only lenses I've seen that manage this well are the Leica Summilux 50mm f/1.4 and the Noctilux f/0.95. I'm sure there must be others.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:34 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Jorge's otus thread shows very sharp shots with super smooth background. Too bad the price is out of reach for many, including me

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:52 PM
DWOfPaul
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Nice sample photos guys. It's to soft in most shots for my taste though. Maybe if I was a portrait photographer where I was mostly using the center of the lenses I would feel different. The OOF rendering is very nice. I just have a hard time spending this much for a lenses that need to be uses at the center at f2-f2.8 for sharp images.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:53 PM
mpedersen
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Forgive me for not following this MTF craze that's been trending since Sigma released its one-trick pony but I find it fine wide-open... Heck I thought my 50mm 1.2 AI-S looked nice.

I've always gone for overall rendition.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

The DOF is razor thin wide open.
Here you go.

Edited on Nov 15, 2013 at 08:48 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:50 PM
DWOfPaul
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

mpedersen wrote:
Forgive me for not following this MTF craze that's been trending since Sigma released its one-trick pony but I find it fine wide-open...

I don't think I would call it a one trick pony. It may be sharp, but it also has very good CA control and good AF. The Bokeh may not be the best but I wouldn't call it bad ether. I think it's fair to say the Sigma 35mm f1.4 and the Nikon 58mm f1.4g serve two different purposes.

The other reason I think people keep comparing back to the Sigma 35mm f1.4 is it's price to performance ratio. If the Nikon 58 was 1,200 instead of 1,700 I may fell differently about it too. Right now though when I consider the 58s price and performance, my style of photography, and my current gear I can't help but fell there are other lenses that would be of better value to me.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:45 AM
low325
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

The otus surpasses this in sharpness but this lens has a nice old school look to it which is nice given with the technology these days giving most images such a very clinical feel. Image rendering is nice in the new noct, 3dish. Thanks Joe for the images.

Nov 14, 2013 at 01:31 AM
mpedersen
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

DWOfPaul wrote:
I don't think I would call it a one trick pony. It may be sharp, but it also has very good CA control and good AF. The Bokeh may not be the best but I wouldn't call it bad ether. I think it's fair to say the Sigma 35mm f1.4 and the Nikon 58mm f1.4g serve two different purposes.

The other reason I think people keep comparing back to the Sigma 35mm f1.4 is it's price to performance ratio. If the Nikon 58 was 1,200 instead of 1,700 I may fell differently about it too. Right now though when I
...Show more

I owned the Sigma 35... never got that thing to focus right. OOF areas were a mess. But, yes, if you're looking for a sharp lens it's the best bang for the buck. Regardless, agreed, completely different lens designs and purposes, can't really be compared unless for bang for the buck, and that just comes down to how you shoot.

low325 wrote:
The otus surpasses this in sharpness but this lens has a nice old school look to it which is nice given with the technology these days giving most images such a very clinical feel. Image rendering is nice in the new noct, 3dish. Thanks Joe for the images.

Agreed, the Otus is undoubtedly sharper, however, I prefer the 58's imagery. I like the rendering characteristics.

It's not all about sharpness; no it's not the sharpest, but it's sharp enough for me. 500 MTF chart tests aren't going to make Joe's images look bad.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

A few more images wide open.

Edited on Nov 14, 2013 at 07:25 PM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2013 at 04:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Joe Marquez
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

A couple of thoughts on this lens. On many occasions I walk around or travel with two primes - the 24/1.4g and 85/1.4g. For me they produce magical images both for weddings and for anything else. Unfortunately, the 85 can be a bit too long for walking around and I've yet to find a 50 that excites me. For the past few days I've been shooting with the 58. I found it surprisingly versatile: portraits, street shooting, low light and more. It is smaller and lighter than the 24 and no complaints with focus speed even in low light. Consequently, I could see the 58 replacing my 85 as a walk around lens. Either add the 24 in a small bag or carry the Ricoh GR (28/2.8) in my pant pocket as a supplement. I just need to learn a bit more about this lens.

Nov 14, 2013 at 05:38 PM
low325
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

good point Joe. its packaged fairly small, is protected and doesnt 'need' the hood. its between being too long and too wide. i get nervous moving around with the front elements so far out with both the 24 and 85, especially with the 24! it balances really nice and it creates such luscious bokeh(!). im in full agreement about learning more too, this lens has made me rethink how the things i normally shoot would look with its rendering.

Nov 14, 2013 at 05:45 PM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Bamboo Bokeh.

Nov 14, 2013 at 07:27 PM
DWOfPaul
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

mpedersen wrote:
I owned the Sigma 35... never got that thing to focus right.

I wonder if you got a bad copy. I have a Nikon 24mm f1.4g, 50mm f1.4g, 85mm f1.4g and the Sigma 35mm f1.4. Out of all of them I find the Sigma 35mm is the only one that focuses accurately at f1.4 consistently with out using live view af. Quite a few review sites have talked highly about the Sigmas AF too.

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:04 PM
JohnKraus
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

http://neilvn.com/tangents/

Neil does a nice job compare a few night images with the 58 1.4G and the 50 1.4G. Includes sample images to download. Thank you Neil!

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

One week with the 58.
Here's a short slideshow of images taken here on the streets and beaches of Oahu.
All but one or two shot wide open at f/1.4 so no danger of sharpness.
Linky

Edited on Nov 15, 2013 at 08:47 PM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:33 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Nice photos, Joe.

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:43 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

JohnKraus wrote:
http://neilvn.com/tangents/

Neil does a nice job compare a few night images with the 58 1.4G and the 50 1.4G. Includes sample images to download. Thank you Neil!

Doesn't do a good job on the bokeh. They are framed differently. Of course the 58mm is going to have better bokeh in this example because the object was closer thus creating thinner DOF. Very bad example and unfair to compare against the wider angle 50mm.

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:56 PM
low325
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Joe Marquez wrote:
One week with the 58.
Here's a short slideshow of images taken here on the streets and beaches of Oahu.
Linky

Excellent Joe!

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:02 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Joe Marquez wrote:
One week with the 58.
Linky

Very nice images Joe!

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:03 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.