• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

gorgeous rendering

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Avantia

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Really like the rendering, especially the bokeh.

How does it compare to 85G in terms of AF speed ?

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:21 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Still can't find one anywhere

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM
mpedersen
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Still can't find one anywhere

Newegg apparently is getting their batch on the 20th and they don't charge tax so that's a good bet. Rest are indefinite preorders.

I'd try BuyDig personally. I preordered in advance but they still said they were out of stock on release day, but I had it within the week. Maybe it's just a low production item and the shops are getting them on a by-order basis?

As for AF speed vs. the 85? I'm not sure. If someone is in the lower New York area and possibly wants to meet up for a comparison I'm down. I know a friend with the 85 so I'll ask to try his as well.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Looks like a great performer ... too bad for me there are so many other things I need to get first ... and then college for 6 kids (ouch).

Ironic that my reason for getting into photography is the kids but it's the expense of the kids that keeps me from fully exploring my hobby.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Love the way this lens renders, but man, just isn't sharp enough wide open for my pixel peeping eyes. Guess I'm spoiled by the Sigma 35mm.... Ya I know, sharpness isn't everything, but it sure is nice!

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM
mpedersen
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Andre Labonte wrote:
Looks like a great performer ... too bad for me there are so many other things I need to get first ... and then college for 6 kids (ouch).

Ironic that my reason for getting into photography is the kids but it's the expense of the kids that keeps me from fully exploring my hobby.

Well, it's not cheap by any means

Hardcore wrote:
Love the way this lens renders, but man, just isn't sharp enough wide open for my pixel peeping eyes. Guess I'm spoiled by the Sigma 35mm.... Ya I know, sharpness isn't everything, but it sure is nice!

Seems sharp enough from the examples posted thus far, but yeah, the rendering is on another level entirely.

Nov 12, 2013 at 01:33 PM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.
Here are a few more - all shot wide open.

Nov 12, 2013 at 04:14 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Sharp enough for me and beautiful rendering. Regarding sharpness, is it possible at all that it needs a little bit of micro adjustments for front/back focus? Just wondering.

Nov 12, 2013 at 04:20 PM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

At close distance the DOF is incredibly thin which may be an issue. I've not made any focus adjustments as of yet. Still just playing around with the lens to see what it can do. By the way it is sharp enough that I can read the wristband on the surfer girl.

Nov 12, 2013 at 04:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

low325
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

really appreciate your photos on this lens joe! makes me so jealous that just about every photo you take, the ocean is in the background. sigh, i miss island life.

Nov 12, 2013 at 04:42 PM
lexdiamonnyc
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Can one of you guys tell us about this lens' focus speed? Is it as terrible as the 50 1.4G? What lens would you compare it in terms of speed?

Nov 12, 2013 at 07:05 PM
mpedersen
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Nice shots, Joe. I'll have more up soon.

I think most are mistaking lack of sharpness for the DoF. The DoF is extremely slim. Close-up I've had some difficulty nailing shots wide-open as slight movements in subjects or shake easily throw the plane of focus off.

But yeah sure, a Sigma 35 mm is going to look sharper wide-open because at that focal length the DoF is naturally larger. Can't compare a longer standard to a wide-angle. I think the sets provided show that this lens is in-fact quite sharp wide-open. I don't think it's an MTF monster or the sharpest lens ever, but a rather natural sharpness that doesn't have me worried.

The real comparisons here are the 50mm 1.4G and the 50mm 1.2L on Canon (maybe even the 85s).

That said, I haven't played with focal adjustment at all, but I don't think it would change anything as it seems accurate thus far.

AF speed seems about in line with the 85G.

Nov 12, 2013 at 07:50 PM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

low325 wrote:
really appreciate your photos on this lens joe! makes me so jealous that just about every photo you take, the ocean is in the background. sigh, i miss island life.

Thanks, very special to live here.

Nov 12, 2013 at 08:25 PM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

I've been shooting in great light and focus speed is not an issue. I tried shooting a hula dancer in poor light - wide open, iso 6400, 1/200 sec and focus speed felt similar to my 85g.

Nov 12, 2013 at 08:34 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Here's the dpreview test:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/11/13/lens-reviews-update-test-data-for-the-nikon-58mm-f-1-4g?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Naw, I'm not mistaking shallow DOF with lack of sharpness. I have shot with a Sigma 85mm F1.4 and it is much sharper than what I'm seeing with this lens. Even my 85mm F1.8g is sharper. The Sigma 35mm blows everything out of the water wide open. Guess I was just expecting this lens to render the way it does with great bokeh along with ultimate sharpness for the price.

mpedersen wrote:
Nice shots, Joe. I'll have more up soon.

I think most are mistaking lack of sharpness for the DoF. The DoF is extremely slim. Close-up I've had some difficulty nailing shots wide-open as slight movements in subjects or shake easily throw the plane of focus off.

But yeah sure, a Sigma 35 mm is going to look sharper wide-open because at that focal length the DoF is naturally larger. Can't compare a longer standard to a wide-angle. I think the sets provided show that this lens is in-fact quite sharp wide-open. I don't think it's an MTF monster or the sharpest lens
...Show more

Edited on Nov 13, 2013 at 02:42 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

A night shot in Waikiki.

Edited on Nov 21, 2013 at 09:41 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2013 at 01:43 PM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

Hardcore wrote:
Naw, I'm not mistaking shallow DOF with lack of sharpness. I have shot with a Sigma 85mm F1.4 and it is much sharper than what I'm seeing with this lens. Even my 85mm F1.8g is sharper. The Sigma 35mm blows everything out of the water wide open. Guess I was just expecting this lens to render the way it does with great bokeh along with ultimate sharpness for the price.

If you isolate sharpens only, sigma 35 beats it, but sigma 35 is not in pair with this lens in any other aspect, background, colors and so on. I was one step away to buy sigma this week, but seeing all the photos from this lens, makes me think twice.

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:19 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · The 58mm F/1.4G Thread

cvrle59 wrote:
If you isolate sharpens only, sigma 35 beats it, but sigma 35 is not in pair with this lens in any other aspect, background, colors and so on. I was one step away to buy sigma this week, but seeing all the photos from this lens, makes me think twice.

That's what I'm seeing- and the 58/1.4G seems to attain that balance of sharpness, across the frame, along with great rendering; that's something that you just don't see from the Sigmas. Now for those active Canon adapters .

Nov 13, 2013 at 09:55 PM
1              3              364       365       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              364       365       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.