Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

When I saw this group of mushrooms, growing on a detached dead tree trunk lying on the ground, I knew the species was not one I had seen before. Everything about the macroscopic features indicated that it was an Ascomycete, probably in the False Morrel group. However, it is a gill fungus (Basidiomycete) with a distinctive, raised feature on the cap. When I found out what it was I checked in the books. The cap is described as being “wrinkled”. As my images of the immature fruiting bodies shows, this network is semi-detached and becomes tight-fitting as the caps grow larger.

These were shot with my Kiron 105mm macro 1:1 on my E-P2, lit by manual, diffused flash (OM T32). The first ones were shot at moderate ISO, the later ones at low ISO. Hand-held or camera on bean bag.

The stereo pair does not give the depth I was hoping for but it separates the subjects of interest from the background. [Edit] On futher viewing, this is one of the stereo pairs which works better when viewed from close to the screen. (Most cross-eye pairs work best from a little further back than normal viewing distance). [Edit ends]

Harold

© Harold Gough 2013

In setting, trying to be a Rembrandt

© Harold Gough 2013

A closer look

© Harold Gough 2013

Caps from above

© Harold Gough 2013

More mature (same mushrooms, 3 days later)

Even more immature, cross-eye, stereo

Edited on Oct 23, 2013 at 03:56 AM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:14 AM
michael kilner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

interesting,what is the resinous looking fluid?

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:14 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

michael kilner wrote:
interesting,what is the resinous looking fluid?

Although no indication of injury was evident, this seems to be much the same as e.g. on some trees. For mushrooms see (halfway down the page):

http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/identifying-mushrooms.html

In habitat it looks much like the tree equivalent, semi-solid, glass-like, not flowing.

In spite of this being a diagnostic character for some species, I have checked descriptions in several of my mushroom books and not one mentions it for this species.

[Edit] I have just found this, which has some interesting facts:

http://www.messiah.edu/Oakes/fungi_on_wood/gilled%20fungi/species%20pages/Rhodotus%20palmatus.htm

[Edit ends]

Harold

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:34 AM
andreloo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

Hi , i like the 1st one but i would crop a little from the top, i wonder if it was possible Not use the flash and blur more the BG.Andrei.

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:31 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

andreloo wrote:
Hi , i like the 1st one but i would crop a little from the top, i wonder if it was possible Not use the flash and blur more the BG.Andrei.

Thanks, Andrei.

I took some daylight shots but they were not sharp enough.

The composition is not what I would normally post but is in response to current discussion about creativity.

Harold

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

A bit over exposure but very nice captures.

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:37 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

Jonathan Huynh wrote:
A bit over exposure but very nice captures.

Thanks. In fact they were underexposed but in PP I wanted to bring out the glow in the network by a combination of brightness and contrast. There is a touch of highlight burnout in the last one.

Harold

Oct 19, 2013 at 01:05 AM
12monkeys
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

I'm not mad on the processing but I do like these shots, especially the first one. I particularly like the before/after element.

Oct 19, 2013 at 02:57 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

12monkeys wrote:
I'm not mad on the processing but I do like these shots, especially the first one. I particularly like the before/after element.

Thanks. Just as a reference point, I have reprocessed an image similar to the first image using only Auto Contrast in PS and Focus in Topaz, with no cropping. I have also done the same with the first image, adding some brightnees too in this case.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2013

Oct 20, 2013 at 02:37 AM
rocco61
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

Nice mushrooms, great catch!

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:09 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

rocco61 wrote:
Nice mushrooms, great catch!

Thanks. Not only a one-off, in around 50 years of hunting them, but one of the most photogenic and morphologically different. Not edible, though!

Harold

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Fizzog
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

Perhaps my favourite fungus to photograph and quite common in my patch in the more ancient woodlands with dead elms. Also known as Wrinkled Peach, nearly all the ones I've seen have had the liquid oozing out, though not as much as seen in your shots. I wonder if it's weather dependant.
I've not seen any this year yet, so thanks for the great shots. I shall have to visit Hampton Wood (Warwickshire Wildlife Trust SSSI) my favourite spot for these and see if there any are about.
Brian

Oct 21, 2013 at 04:25 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

Fizzog wrote:
Perhaps my favourite fungus to photograph and quite common in my patch in the more ancient woodlands with dead elms. Also known as Wrinkled Peach, nearly all the ones I've seen have had the liquid oozing out, though not as much as seen in your shots. I wonder if it's weather dependant.
I've not seen any this year yet, so thanks for the great shots. I shall have to visit Hampton Wood (Warwickshire Wildlife Trust SSSI) my favourite spot for these and see if there any are about.

Thanks, Brian.

Yes, Wrinkled Peach! I'm not too keen on the common names allocated in recent years but I can see that they may help some people. In this case, I think "wrinkled", in the name and description, is misleading, as the structure is, initially, clearly separate from the cap and subsequently fuses with it.

This is one of the best mushroom seasons for years in the south of England,

Take a look at my fairies!

Harold

Oct 21, 2013 at 04:32 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rhodotus palmatus: A mushroom with a hair net or is it a string vest?

I forgot to mention the name of the location: Gallowstree Common (Oxfordshire).

Harold

Oct 24, 2013 at 02:51 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.