FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              194       195       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

ceder
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

OK, sounds good with wireless. But what about bulb-mode? Can't see it on the dial - is there a time limit (1/2 or 2 minutes)? I like to be able to do up to 60 min....

mawz wrote:
It takes the same cable release as the NEX-6 and RX-1, which fits the multi-interface shoe. Sucky, but available. You can of course also use your smartphone as a wireless release.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:37 AM
theophilus
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jman13 wrote:
Are we 100% sure on this? The cameras weigh almost exactly the same, with the A7 actually being 9g heavier (probably the weight of the AA filter). If the A7r had a metal front plate and the A7 was plastic, you'd expect the A7r to be notably heavier.

Yeah I've only read this here in the forums, none of the press releases or hands on said anything about the difference in chassis.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:37 AM
Atlasman2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

cdo221 wrote:
Metabones has an EF to E mount adapter that works pretty well, full electronic communication but AF is markedly slower I think.

It would be nice if Metabones could utilize the PDAF of the A7. Having this would definitely push me to sell my 5DMKII.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:40 AM
_julian_
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

theophilus wrote:
Yeah I've only read this here in the forums, none of the press releases or hands on said anything about the difference in chassis.

It was covered in the Australian Sony launch video. A7R has extended Magensium allow frame while A7 is only top.

In this video there were break away schematics presented,

#t=16

Edit: They discuss the front plate starting at 16minutes.

Edited on Oct 16, 2013 at 07:48 AM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:43 AM
Atlasman2
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

lsquare wrote:
I agree. This is probably by far the most important innovation of this decade. Canon and Nikon needs to respond and it better not be another DSLR.

EOS FM

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:46 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

perost wrote:
But it seems like ISO 100 is the base ISO at least, which is great.

The

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Australian video
(now working - was just a logo earlier) has a mock-up of the A7r viewfinder display, which is clearly showing ISO 100.

Jman13 wrote:
The cameras weigh almost exactly the same, with the A7 actually being 9g heavier (probably the weight of the AA filter). If the A7r had a metal front plate and the A7 was plastic, you'd expect the A7r to be notably heavier.

The claim is made in the video that the A7r has a magnesium alloy front plate and is therefore more rigid when supporting heavier lenses. There is a cutaway diagram of the two cameras showing the difference. Note that megnesium is very light.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:48 AM
perost

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

ceder wrote:
OK, sounds good with wireless. But what about bulb-mode? Can't see it on the dial - is there a time limit (1/2 or 2 minutes)? I like to be able to do up to 60 min....

What dial are you referring to? On the NEX cameras at least the bulb mode is the one after 30 sec, i.e. you go to 30 sec and then one step more. So there's no dedicated button or dial for bulb mode, you just set the shutter speed to bulb.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:48 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

My D800 is going up for sale. 3 years and I believe DSLR'S will be redundant.

This camera changes everything in my mind.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:56 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I really wish that 35mm lens was f/2 (or faster).

And I hope there's a 28mm f/2. And slower primes in the 18mm range that aren't too big (don't even care about AF on that one).

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:59 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Should be able to do high speed sync with a sony flash.

ILCE is the word of the day.

theophilus wrote:
I saw 1/250

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Ok...looking at the video, that difference looks to really be no big thing. The internal chassis and lens mount support are the same, just the front panel is different, so it may feel more rigid in the hand when shooting with really heavy lenses supported by the camera alone. Since I don't plan on putting anything much heavier than a 135/2.8 on this thing, I'm fine.

Though, to be honest, looking at the 'lens roadmap', I'm somewhat concerned about lenses for this thing. Based on the 35/2.8 and 55/1.8 pricing, the good lenses are likely to be crazy expensive, and if the leaked image of the potential Zeiss 85/1.8 is true, that thing is also ridiculously big for an 85/1.8. I think I'd be OK using this as an adapted lens machine with the great focus peaking and big clear EVF, with only probably the Zeiss 24-70/4 as a native lens (eventually), but I also don't want to buy in, use it for three months and realize it was dumb to get and sell it.

igmolinav
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Hello,

So, the only adapter for this camera, for lenses with a Leica M mount,
is the metabones adapter at the moment?

Thank you kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:21 AM
igmolinav
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

P.S. If the Nikon D600 is one of the most compact full frame DSLRs on the market now,
wouldn't it be possible in the next two to three years to have some more compact DSLR
from Nikon or Canon, that may be as small as this new Sony camera ?? KInd regards : ) !!!

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:23 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Come on Sony Canada, get your act together and get us some preorders. Geez.

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I love the look of the new Sony FF! They are very nice and I'd have to think hard if I was just looking into a new DSLR system. For me though, having some large glass, the extra weight of the camera means there is more balance. I could really care less about weight and size except when travelling....

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

igmolinav wrote:
P.S. If the Nikon D600 is one of the most compact full frame DSLRs on the market now,
wouldn't it be possible in the next two to three years to have some more compact DSLR
from Nikon or Canon, that may be as small as this new Sony camera ?? KInd regards : ) !!!

You can't make dslr any thinner unless you remove the mirror and change the mount distance from the sensor. And then it would not be a dslr anymore.

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:41 AM
Sagar
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

It is very much possible. Look at Canon SL1 it's nearly size of GH3/E-M1.

Or look at old Nikon F mounts they use same mount but are much smaller than current FFs

Sami Ruusunen wrote:
You can't make dslr any thinner unless you remove the mirror and change the mount distance from the sensor. And then it would not be a dslr anymore.

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:52 AM
Lazy Lightning

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philip_pj wrote:
Huff's take:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/10/15/hands-on-1st-impressions-the-sony-a7-a7r-and-rx10/ :

'I have seen prints and crops in print from the D800E and this camera. I preferred the prints from the A7r slightly but they were close.'

I do not believe for a minute that Steve Huff has held this camera! He is just trying to make himself look like an important guy in the photoworld.

So, Sony came over to his house with all these cameras and said, “Steve, you only have a few minutes to play around with this stuff! Now hurry up because we need to pack all this stuff up and drive it from Steve’s house in Arizona to Trey Ratcliffs place in Dallas so he can play around with it in his house for a few minutes, and then off to Ming Thein's place!”

Nice try Stevie…but quit all the blustering!

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:54 AM
serhan_
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Model differences and first look w/ a7+35mm 2.8 tests:
http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/advanced-compact-cameras/interchangeable-lens/first-look-sony-ilc-a7
http://www.photoreview.com.au/var/photoreview/storage/images/media/images/sony_a7_vs_e-m5/1990529-1-eng-GB/sony_a7_vs_e-m5.jpg

Zeiss Sonnar T FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA jpeg test
http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/lenses/fx/sony-sonnar-t-fe-35mm-f2.8-za
http://www.photoreview.com.au/var/photoreview/storage/images/media/images/sony_a7_res-vs-iso-graph/1990511-1-eng-GB/sony_a7_res-vs-iso-graph.jpg

Oct 16, 2013 at 09:08 AM
tororo

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Sony Japan uploaded the full size samples.

A7:
http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/products/ILCE-7/photo-sample.html

A7r
http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/products/ILCE-7R/photo-sample.html

Looking at the third image, maybe A7r is less prone to moire than D800E?
Can anybody using D800E share your thought?

I preordered both A7r for JPY 190,000 ($1,920 USD) and A7 for JPY 134,000 ($1,360 USD), which will be delivered on the 15th November. I really hope the menu language is changeable. The current Japanese models of NEX series have the menu only in Japanese..

Edited on Nov 17, 2013 at 04:59 AM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2013 at 09:12 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.