Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

tfoltz
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

Excellent set , the Musk Ox photos are awesome

-Tim

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

Scott, as others have said - wow! Thank you so much for sharing this!
Keith W.

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:23 AM
rick2906
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

Wow kudos!! Talk about dedication!! I really like the fox pictures and the musk ox also!!

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Plinian
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

Scott, that was a wonderful narrative and set of images illustrating a fascinating part of the planet.

The wildlife photos are terrific; the foxes are engaging, the muskoxes (or is it oxen) are amazing, and the landscape seems both majestic and barren. I would love to know more about the people and the culture.

Greg

Aug 19, 2013 at 06:02 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

ChrisKayler: It was a great trip. Glad you like the foxes. They were fun to watch and let us get pretty close. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

big_fish: Gjoa Haven was very friendly. They invited us to a drum dance and it was fantastic. There were 80 year olds signing and dancing. I felt like I was back in time. I asked my guide if I could look at the drum and he said if I went over to look at it they would expect me to dance. With no dancing skills, I declined. I am still working on my video's. I am sure winter would look quite different. I am glad you like the pictures. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 19, 2013 at 07:53 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

tfoltz: Glad you like the Muskox. I only found one but the rest of the trip made it not matter much. It was such a cultural experience. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

kwilliam8: Glad you like the pictures. It was a fantastic trip. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

rick2906: Glad you like the muskox and fox. It was a gruelling but satisfying search. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Plinian: Canada is so big and I have never been to the high north. It felt great to see. Glad you like the pictures. It was fun to take the pictures. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 19, 2013 at 07:58 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

WOW!

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Desert Drake
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

I loved every picture and what you had to say about this trip. Thanks so much, Scott. I enjoyed seeing that picture of the Arctic fox with an old snow goose wing. All your pictures were spectacular.
Al

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Harry.C
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

Great series and trip Scott, and I'm really glad you found your target species as well. Travelling "up there" is on my bucket list as well, but 4 days of atv camping in the tundra is a bit extreme for me. Kudos to you for your dedication!

Cheers,
Harry C

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

Interesting post, Scott, and great shots of the Fox and Muskox. The 7D shots looks as good as the 5D3 ones.

There were a number of factors leading to the deaths of the English sailors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin's_lost_expedition

Good to know they don't shoot all the Muskox. I understand their numbers dwindled to about 1,000 in the fifties due to overhunting.

Tony

P.S. I think you should go back in mid-December.

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

Ted ellis: Glad you like the pictures/adventure. It was really fun. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Desert Drake: The snow goose were everywhere. Obviously the fox were used to hunting them.Glad you like the pictures. It was fun. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Harry.C: Camping was pretty good aside from lack of trees and no outdoor biffies ( had to hide behind your atv for privacy) and mosquitoes. It was really worth it. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Imagemaster:

The light was pretty good for the fox and very overcast for the 5diii, but I agree, the 7d does a great job when you need reach.

I will read your article but my understanding was too many people, too little vitamin in canned food, map that was off, and they took limited help from the inuit.

The muskox have recovered signifiantly from the 60's is my understanding but then again I did not see a lot and am concerned that the high price of groceries is going to cause extinction. The other place I was going to visit and cancelled was Banks Island which is supposed to have the most Muskox but the local pilots adviced that non had been seen near the town.

I am not sure about December. I have camped at -43c (48f) when I was a teenager and it was tough. Chopping would continously for a weekend gets tiring. And there are no trees.

Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

[Wiki states that:

The combined evidence of all studies suggested that hypothermia, starvation, lead poisoning and disease including scurvy, along with general exposure to a hostile environment whilst lacking adequate clothing and nutrition, killed everyone on the expedition in the years following its last sighting by Europeans in 1845

In addition to this local people tell me that - the expedition was avoided because the people were crazy. I suspect a combination of scurvy (lack of vitamin C) and lead poisoining. Which probably did not help them when they did not get any northern survival advice.

The locals also say that the maps of the time were off by about 20k to the east and the last attempt of all the remaining parties to walk to Hudson Bay settlement, after 2 years stranded, was frustrated because they went down the wrong bay that dead ended instead of the next that lead to Hudson Bay
].

Aug 19, 2013 at 01:35 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

The fox pictures are just amazing. That could be the cutest thing I've ever seen.
Chris

Aug 19, 2013 at 02:18 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

Schlotkins: Glad you like the foxes. They were good at posing. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 19, 2013 at 05:21 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

Great post, Scott. Thanks for sharing.
Chris

Aug 19, 2013 at 06:00 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

Excellent set and presentation Scott. Would be very cool to be there. Any birds? Like Birdie, I thought the foxes to be excellent viewing, but then I saw the musk ox. Stupendous plus. They are one of my dream species to photograph for a couple reasons. First they look incredible. Second is the environment. An arctic experience would be very enjoyable (as you display and write here). The shots of the village etc were also a real treat.

Aug 19, 2013 at 07:52 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

well Done Scott

Aug 19, 2013 at 08:42 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

I must go back to the arctic. Seeing your pictures gave me the itch again! Wonderful set Scott, the Inuit are great people, aren't they?

Charles

Aug 19, 2013 at 09:53 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

CDaescher: Glad you like the pictures. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

KCollett: There were snow geese, trumpeter swans, some kind of wooping crane, snowy owls, loons, and a few other birds. They were quite wary and hard to take pictures of. Gjoa Have was a fun adventure. Glad you like the pictures. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

RobAmy: Glad you like the set. It was a great adventure. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

lowa2: The inuit are warm and friendly and once you get to know them they are full of jokes. Just meeting the inuit was worthwhile. A funny story is that everyone was surprised to have tourists and I was wearing a tilley hat. So some of the kids said - you must be the tourist - I recognize the hat. I am glad you like the set. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM
mallardg500
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

I like the fox pictures too Scott!

Phoo

Aug 20, 2013 at 02:42 PM
Reeftank1
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Gjoa Haven (Arctic Island) Nunavut Canada - Caribou, Arctic Fox, Muskox

Wow. What a grand experience and one that many dream of. Fine set of memories as well and appreciate that you were able to display them for everyone.

Brian

Aug 20, 2013 at 04:28 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.