end

Archive 2013 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Jeffrey wrote:
Thanks for the kind comments, everyone.

JIm, stitching from three frames off a 17mm ts-e couldn't be any easier. No nodal point setting or pano gear required. There is a bit of distortion from any lens in that focal length range and this image does exhibit some, but it is acceptable to me. I may have corrected the perspective a bit here. A few key elements need to be vertical so the viewer instantly gets the 'aaahhh' feeling instead of thinking 'by brain is telling me something is wrong here'.

Thanks Jeffrey for the info. That would be a big plus in my book. I have been considering a TSE lens, just for me as a Nikon shooter the widest I can get is a 24mm. I hate to say it, but I do wish we had a 17mm available as I am just too used to shooting at 16mm now.

Jim

Aug 17, 2013 at 08:03 PM
GeoffreySchmid
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Nice work. Never saw a pano of this before. I'm sure it looks great printed. I kind of wish the overall color profile was less saturated to the red/magenta. That's just me, opinions differ greatly, as you know.

Aug 17, 2013 at 08:26 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

A picture that tells a story and creates a strong feel with intensity............Excellent!

Karl

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

I really enjoy the panoramic viewpoint here Jeffrey. I can't recall seeing a panoramic from this location in the past. I would imagine that this would also do well as B&W given all the texture, but it's tough to beat the impact of the color shot.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Thanks guys.

I know this is kind of hot, and I am always very cautious about intense colors, but the color is one of the most important elements here and the title supports the strong palette.. I may tone it down a notch for printing.

Ben, I put a BW of another comp from this location in the BW forum. To me both work well, and I can't decide which will be my final presentation of this place.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:40 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Hi Jeffrey,
Sorry I'm late to the party.

This is sweet!

I've looked at a lot of the Anasazi shots over the years, looking for something different to try, and this one is pretty unique. I like it a lot! The color may be just a tiny bit over saturated, but it's right on for this particular shot IMO.

Aug 18, 2013 at 07:51 PM
Bart Carrig
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Super job on this Jeffrey. Well planned, and well done.

Bart

Aug 18, 2013 at 07:54 PM
jleom
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Wow Jeffrey, that is an outstanding photo. Great idea to do a pano and it really does the place justice. Well seen and executed. It turned out great and I like it how it is.

Leo

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Love this interpretation!

Aug 19, 2013 at 01:55 PM
jsuro
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Well done! The pano format really fits the scene very well. Color is excellent as well.

Jose

Aug 20, 2013 at 06:30 AM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

I've been there and you certainly do it justice. The pano, as many others have said, works very well. Congrats!

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Nori
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Beautiful image, wonderful colors

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Congrats Jeffrey on getting the Featured Thread award!

Jim

Aug 23, 2013 at 09:23 PM
marcy45
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

we are planning to go there in Sept - your shot is beautiful - what time did you get there for the shot - I have heard that you need to be there by 9 am to get the light reflection - was there a crowd did you have to wait your turn to shoot?
thanks for info

Aug 23, 2013 at 09:50 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Thanks, everyone, for your votes. While I think there were equally worthy images presented this week, and do not believe creativity should be competitive, I appreciate your support.

I am happy with this image. I may lower the reds for the print, but it still knocks me around as is.

I got to the location mid day. It was getting cloudy and as I was shooting, thunder boomed and storm clouds began dropping rain. The few others there left in a hurry and I was really happy with the atmosphere and the isolation. My spirits soared, and I remembered to thank those who came before and built this dwelling. The other side of the canyon is not so prominent or close as to be a big factor in getting the reflected light glow that we so much desire in slot canyons, which this certainly isn't. Truth is, the 'fire' effect is a function of the stripes in the stone and what you do about them in post processing. Like many, this place was on my to do list for some time. After perhaps a bit more than an hour, I hiked out in the rain with an elevated level of excitement and anticipation of this image. Thanks for looking.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Congrats, a very good and cool photo

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Jeffrey wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for your votes. While I think there were equally worthy images presented this week, and do not believe creativity should be competitive, I appreciate your support.

I am happy with this image. I may lower the reds for the print, but it still knocks me around as is.

I got to the location mid day. It was getting cloudy and as I was shooting, thunder boomed and storm clouds began dropping rain. The few others there left in a hurry and I was really happy with the atmosphere and the isolation. My spirits soared, and I remembered to thank those
...Show more

I know what you mean...had the same feeling shooting in the storm at Bryce...made a nice big pano

Aug 24, 2013 at 01:48 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Wonderful shot. It is easy to walk right by this place. I did it my second time there, and went 1/2 mile past before realizing my error. There are other ruins farther up the canyon.

Aug 25, 2013 at 07:37 AM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

SUPER

Aug 25, 2013 at 08:31 AM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 'House on Fire' Anasazi Ruin

Superb!

Aug 25, 2013 at 08:41 AM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.