New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · D2x expectations

erikff
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D2x expectations

Just interested to hear what people's realistic expectations of the D2x are? What would make you upgrade from the camera you own?

frame rate, ISO range, Pixel count etc...

Should be fun

Aug 22, 2004 at 11:16 AM
fotophroggie
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D2x expectations

I'm looking for 12 MP dx sensor... i personally like that size
at least 5 fps and 8 fps at a lower MP setting
100% coverage in the viewfiender
large LCD
feel of a D2h
price point of $4500
new, better white balance
more focus points
faster auto focus
low noise at 1600

Aug 22, 2004 at 11:42 AM
genghis45
• • • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D2x expectations

erikff wrote:
Just interested to hear what people's realistic expectations of the D2x are? What would make you upgrade from the camera you own?

frame rate, ISO range, Pixel count etc...

Should be fun

I have mixed feelings. As it stands, I'm totally satisfied with my D1Xs. That, combined with a wariness of changing from the familiar, will cause me to wait at least a few months after the D2x's introduction, before deciding whether to even bother buying a D2x. I'll be glad to wait out all of the teething problems that are bound to plague the new model---with all of the whining and grousing by early adopters---until Nikon solves the early problems with upgrades, etc. Taken with a Nikon D1x with 12-24mm Zoom-Nikkor....

Scott

Picture Title:

"East of Eden"

Aug 22, 2004 at 12:00 PM
rc12k
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D2x expectations

I would just like to have the basic Valeo 11 stuffed into a D2h body.
(16 bit color, 12 stops of dynamic range, 11 or 12 MPixels)

Aug 22, 2004 at 01:34 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D2x expectations

A D2H body, with a few changes:

1. 8 MP CCD sensor
  2. 16 bit
  3. 5 FPS
  4. 10-15 frame RAW buffer

Aug 22, 2004 at 02:56 PM
samchar

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D2x expectations

Scott, great image as always! Hate to say it, but I've been shooting Canon for some time now. That 12-24mm looks killer, and would tempt me to switch back with the right body.
That would be up to Nikon, who likes to take their sweet time.

Regards,
Sam

Aug 22, 2004 at 03:24 PM
Bill De
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D2x expectations

The following would make me happy........

1. the great build, feel, and control layout of the D2H
  2. anywhere from 8 to 12MP
  3. anywhere from 4 to 5FPS
  4. lower noise at higher ISO levels

I'm soooo happy with my D2H, that I really don't need any big surprises. I may not even buy/upgrade, depending on how I feel after it is released. Time will tell for me.

Edited by Bill De on Aug 22, 2004 at 06:53 PM GMT (Reason: grammar error.)

Aug 22, 2004 at 04:55 PM
psystudios
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D2x expectations

in general 5 fps, wider ISO range(25-6400), nice buffer in RAW, 8+ Mp, but more importantly great WB and very low noise..

any Nikon techs on this board covertly...PLEASE

Aug 22, 2004 at 05:26 PM
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D2x expectations

I am a new member here, anxiously awaiting news of the D2X. I am an NPS member and Nikon user for 20 years starting with FM2n.

I agree with the second poster and would just like to phrase in my own words what I would like to see.

1) 12mp, 4-5 fps (20 shot buffer)
2) 8mp, 8fps (40 shot buffer)
3) 1/500 Flash Sync
4) ISO 200-1600 with very low noise, ISO 100 would be a nice bonus.
5) D2H body & build quality
6) WB from the new D2H firmware upgrade
7) Same AF speed as D2H
8) Continued support of WiFi Transmitter
9) Reintroduction of GPS info in EXIF Data
10) B&W mode (not necessary, but would be nice)

As you can see, it would be nice to see Nikon introduce the camera that would be the best of both worlds. I look forward to hearing an announcement.

Allan

Aug 22, 2004 at 07:43 PM
Timm
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D2x expectations

OK, I'll come in from left field:

Size/weight of a D100--max. I can always tape a brick to it if I need to impress someone. Add-on vertical grip to keep the rest of you happy.

FF and 8mpxs. I don't own (and will not buy) any DX lenses, and I hate my 17-35 being 26-55--that lens weren't cheap! I'd rather buy long glass. Besides, how many sites can be packed into a DX space without bleed noise? And I can already get more out of a 6 mpx sensor than I can from 4000 ppi scans of slides.

Base ISO 200, simulated down to ISO 25-, just to show that Nikon cares about creative landscape shooters.

Foveon or equivalent--no more color interpolation.

Low Noise--Who wouldn't want lower noise?

TTL flash comparable to the F bodies. Hell, comparable to my N80. Which I believe the D2/D70 series has restored.

Digital shutter with flash sync to 1/500 minimum--Why not?

8 fps so I can take high-res Anime-quality movies, and an unlimited, active, buffer to deal with them.

Manual Cable Release--those little wiry things that screw into the shutter button. Cheap and reliable as all hell.

Ports--PC for studio flash, Nikon 10-pin for all the nifty gadgets that fit it. Bluetooth for everthing else.

CF storage--I'm too clumbsy and forgetful to use anything smaller, and these cards are hell-for-stout when bad things happen. I also own a few.

Now add Acra-Swiss style QR plates built-in on both axes, and price it at $2000 US, delivery date of November, and I'll place my order now.

Just dreaming... but you asked.

Aug 22, 2004 at 07:59 PM
GSteele
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D2x expectations

Timm wrote:
OK, I'll come in from left field:

Size/weight of a D100--max. I can always tape a brick to it if I need to impress someone. Add-on vertical grip to keep the rest of you happy.

For the price the vertical grip should be built in, of course that will make it heavier.

FF and 8mpxs. I don't own (and will not buy) any DX lenses, and I hate my 17-35 being 26-55--that lens weren't cheap! I'd rather buy long glass. Besides, how many sites can be packed into a DX space without bleed noise? And I can already get more out of a 6 mpx sensor than I can from 4000 ppi scans of slides.

Not yet!

Base ISO 200, simulated down to ISO 25-, just to show that Nikon cares about creative landscape shooters.

ISO 25 for real, why simulate? I'd be happy with ISO 100.

Foveon or equivalent--no more color interpolation.

If Foveon was so great why doesn't anyone besides Sigma jump on the bandwagon. You can't pass light through several substrates without some loss of quality. Great idea, but just has as many problems as interpolations has.

Low Noise--Who wouldn't want lower noise?

I agree!

Digital shutter with flash sync to 1/500 minimum--Why not?

8 fps so I can take high-res Anime-quality movies, and an unlimited, active, buffer to deal with them.

Manual Cable Release--those little wiry things that screw into the shutter button. Cheap and reliable as all hell.

Ports--PC for studio flash, Nikon 10-pin for all the nifty gadgets that fit it. Bluetooth for everthing else.

CF storage--I'm too clumbsy and forgetful to use anything smaller, and these cards are hell-for-stout when bad things happen. I also own a few.

Now add Acra-Swiss style QR plates built-in on both axes, and price it at $2000 US, delivery date of
...Show more

Now I am dreaming with you on these.

Aug 22, 2004 at 10:24 PM
silvertipimage
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D2x expectations

If you shoot much action, such as the Blue Angels flying at 1800 miles an hour
or hydros racing at 150+ miles on the water you need a bigger buffer. 40 frames or more. Trust me.

Aug 26, 2004 at 12:16 AM
genghis45
• • • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D2x expectations

AllanSchroeder wrote:
I am a new member here, anxiously awaiting news of the D2X. I am an NPS member and Nikon user for 20 years starting with FM2n.

I agree with the second poster and would just like to phrase in my own words what I would like to see.

1) 12mp, 4-5 fps (20 shot buffer)
2) 8mp, 8fps (40 shot buffer)
3) 1/500 Flash Sync
4) ISO 200-1600 with very low noise, ISO 100 would be a nice bonus.
5) D2H body & build quality
6) WB from the new D2H firmware upgrade
7) Same AF speed as D2H
8) Continued support of WiFi Transmitter
9) Reintroduction of GPS info
...Show more

Welcome, Allan. I've been a Nikon loyalist since 1962, professional since 1969. I still have my first Nikon bought in '62, a cherry Nikon F. Check out my website at:

http://www.pbase.com/genghis45

Scott

Aug 26, 2004 at 03:32 AM
psystudios
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D2x expectations

ahhh one thing that may have been over looked as a gimme, but...

USB 2.0
or Firewire connectivity

Aug 26, 2004 at 04:17 AM
danielson53
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D2x expectations

Ok then, all these D2x posts have worn me down....

Here's my wish list:

I prefer the D1x body but it'll blatantly be a D2h shell (the vertical grip on the D2h just isn't deep enough for my fingers)
At least 10mp (it's gotta at least beat the 1d Mark II)
50-3200 ISO with much improved noise from the D2h
3 fps is fine
Improved dynamic range (this is more important then the MP race in my opinion)
1.3 multiplier would be nice but i don't see it happening. Full frame would be even better but there's no chance as far as i can see
Large viewfinder
Proper mirror lockup
Excellent battery life
Excellent long exposure images

That'd do it for me really. It just needs enough of a jump in resolution and more imporantly lower noise and wider dynamic range....and a big viewfinder please!!!

Slow day at work.....zz......

Aug 26, 2004 at 04:49 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.