New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Archive 2013 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

sperraglia
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Lars - how about a transcend 64gb 1000x? My 1dx is on its way so can test the card in that and the 1dv before I sell it.

Cheers, Sallie Jo

Apr 15, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

sperraglia wrote:
Lars - how about a transcend 64gb 1000x? My 1dx is on its way so can test the card in that and the 1dv before I sell it.

Cheers, Sallie Jo

Hi, yes that would be good I only have the 128GB version of that card

Apr 15, 2013 at 04:26 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
Did you test those cards

I made an order on a Lexar 128GB 1000x today. But it's coming from Germany so I probably have to wait about a week before I get it. I will test it later

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

How much does this big card cost in Germany

Apr 21, 2013 at 03:01 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Damn, that is a large card. I'm not willing to put 128GB in one basket. Have you the 64GB card to test also?

EBH

Apr 21, 2013 at 08:24 AM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Great idea and test Lars. I own the 1d mark IV and the Lexar 64GB 1000X card which is my main card. I find it interesting that the mark IV with older technology writes 143 raw files while the 1dx with newer processors only writes 142 files on the 1000X card used in the test. With the 1dX's 12fps versus mark IV's 10fps, I guess the extra fps advantage is only an advantage with shorter bursts ? I'd like to see a shorter ( 15 or 20 second burst ) test and compare them with the 1000x card especially.

Apr 21, 2013 at 08:43 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

in reality those numbers will vary give or take with the actual scene being shot due to the actual image size differentials.

Apr 21, 2013 at 09:07 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Sure, but one individual/company should be able to maintain internally consistent results by always shooting the same target with the same lights. At least that is what I do.

EBH

Apr 21, 2013 at 09:37 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

EB-1 wrote:
Damn, that is a large card. I'm not willing to put 128GB in one basket. Have you the 64GB card to test also?

EBH

I already own many other 128GB cards. I love them. If you worry just put two in your body and then you don't put it all in one basket. I don't own any 64GB version of this card

Edited on Apr 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
How much does this big card cost in Germany

I paid 413 Euro for it including the shipping. But I have not got it. I expect a week before I get it

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Herb Houghton wrote:
Great idea and test Lars. I own the 1d mark IV and the Lexar 64GB 1000X card which is my main card. I find it interesting that the mark IV with older technology writes 143 raw files while the 1dx with newer processors only writes 142 files on the 1000X card used in the test. With the 1dX's 12fps versus mark IV's 10fps, I guess the extra fps advantage is only an advantage with shorter bursts ? I'd like to see a shorter ( 15 or 20 second burst ) test and compare them with the 1000x card especially.

Remember that the 1DX is 18MP and the 1D4 is 16MP. So 142 DX files is actually better and faster than 143 1D4 files.
There can also be some small difference in files size depending on the target like the others wrote. but I did shoot exactly the same target with both bodies mounted on tripods. But different months so some small changes.
I don't like to do too short bursts. Because in the beginning every card have the same speed. Not until the buffer is full and it start to empty it, there is those big differences.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

sjms wrote:
in reality those numbers will vary give or take with the actual scene being shot due to the actual image size differentials.

Yes they will. But I shoot the same target on tripod every time. Even then there will be some smaller difference of course.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

EB-1 wrote:
Sure, but one individual/company should be able to maintain internally consistent results by always shooting the same target with the same lights. At least that is what I do.

EBH

That's what I also do.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I already own many other 128GB cards. I love them. If you worry just put two in your body and then you don't put it all in one basket. I don't own any 64GB version of this card

I get your point. However, I don't have practical use for the 1D-X yet and no other sufficient FF body has two of the same card slots. I'm still waiting for the 1Ds-X.

EBH

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Yes they will. But I shoot the same target on tripod every time. Even then there will be some smaller difference of course.

if you say so. but I think you will find that there are small differences in exposure values will change the sizes of the raw files just a little which will in turn change your timing unless all images are exactly the same size. there will be variations.

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

sjms wrote:
if you say so. but I think you will find that there are small differences in exposure values will change the sizes of the raw files just a little which will in turn change your timing unless all images are exactly the same size. there will be variations.

Yes that's what I wrote also. There are some smaller image size differences. But they are very small. It's probably impossible to get every file exactly the same size when we talk about thousends of files.

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:23 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Lars,

I am dumb when it comes to this stuff (and many other things, according to my wife), so I'm just wondering if there is a reason why one can't simply set an exposure, put a body cap on the camera, and shoot black frames. Wouldn't that eliminate the exposure variance?

Apr 21, 2013 at 06:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

mitesh wrote:
Lars,

I am dumb when it comes to this stuff (and many other things, according to my wife), so I'm just wondering if there is a reason why one can't simply set an exposure, put a body cap on the camera, and shoot black frames. Wouldn't that eliminate the exposure variance?

Yes, but the files would be quite small and not indicative of the larger files encountered in the real world.

Shooting a print illuminated with constant lighting at the same manual exposure produces consistent enough RAW files.

EBH

Apr 21, 2013 at 06:30 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

Thanks, EB, that makes perfect sense.

Apr 21, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New CF card speed test 1DX Updated

mitesh wrote:
Lars,

Yes like EB wrote, the files would be very small then. Even when I test it like I do today, the files probably get a little bit smaller than most real life shooting. Because I like to use exactly the same lens/aperture/shutter speed and so on.
My goal is not to get the absolutely right number of shots for a certain card in my test. The same number of shots that it would give in real life shooting. My goal is to compare the different card against each other when it comes to speed.

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.