Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              356              358       end
  

Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

  
 
Jonas B
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #1 · p.357 #1 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


nhsonyshooter wrote:
I wouldn't be trusting those results!


I usually go here to see nice images. This tech-thing made me curious though. Visiting the Studio scene and loading the cameras mentioned made me confused. In what way should the A6400 images be technically better?



Mar 15, 2024 at 05:17 PM
Grenache
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.357 #2 · p.357 #2 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


Jonas B wrote:
I usually go here to see nice images. This tech-thing made me curious though. Visiting the Studio scene and loading the cameras mentioned made me confused. In what way should the A6400 images be technically better?



The concept of comparing a fixed lens camera to a different sensor sized camera and an arbitrary lens itself just makes no sense. For that matter, shooting a fixed scene at a few feet distance, with nothing to assess bokeh, etc is also of limited use to me.

I would not characterize the sensor itself on the RX1 series as being special per se, but the lens has unique characteristics, even among Zeiss lenses. It does not render exactly like any other 35 I have used, and I have used many.

Just my penniesÖ



Mar 15, 2024 at 06:34 PM
Jonas B
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #3 · p.357 #3 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


Grenache wrote:
The concept of comparing a fixed lens camera to a different sensor sized camera and an arbitrary lens itself just makes no sense. For that matter, shooting a fixed scene at a few feet distance, with nothing to assess bokeh, etc is also of limited use to me.

I would not characterize the sensor itself on the RX1 series as being special per se, but the lens has unique characteristics, even among Zeiss lenses. It does not render exactly like any other 35 I have used, and I have used many.

Just my penniesÖ


As an owner of the RX1 and also of other FF cameras and different 35mm lenses I had to check the DPR comparison and I'm simply not able to see what's "better" with the A6400 as Aeroshooter mentioned. He was schocked and I was left without any distinct feeling at all.
So, I wondered what I missed.



Mar 16, 2024 at 09:17 AM
motiwala
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #4 · p.357 #4 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread









Mar 22, 2024 at 12:35 PM
architekt
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #5 · p.357 #5 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/end-of-an-era-sony-r1xrii-officially-discontinued/

Really sad, I always wanted an RX1R II, but never pull the trigger.

I think RX1R II is more like a statement piece, when it is released in 2015, it is stunning, instantly making DSLRs look like dinosaurs.
I do not see Sony making one again, to make it competitive in 2024, it will need to have things like bigger battery, bigger grip, ibis etc, making it a lot larger than the 2015 model.



Mar 28, 2024 at 06:34 PM
Jeff Kott
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #6 · p.357 #6 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


I still have my RX1Rii, but rarely use it since I got an A7CR. The A7CR with a compact lens does so much more than the RX1Rii in a still very compact package. The only reason I'm hanging onto the RX1Rii is I find the lens rendering to be unique for 35 (really 32)mm lenses.


Mar 28, 2024 at 07:03 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #7 · p.357 #7 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


Jeff Kott wrote:
I still have my RX1Rii, but rarely use it since I got an A7CR. The A7CR with a compact lens does so much more than the RX1Rii in a still very compact package. The only reason I'm hanging onto the RX1Rii is I find the lens rendering to be unique for 35 (really 32)mm lenses.


sadly my OG rx1 died a few years ago, been thinking about replacing it with the II as it is probably my favorite 35. what compact lenses are you using on the a7cr? i haven't really been happy with any 35 i have tried on my a7cii except the 35 lux pre-asph, which is a very different kind of lens.

some of the last shots I took with my rx1:















Mar 29, 2024 at 02:05 AM
Jeff Kott
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #8 · p.357 #8 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


sebboh wrote:
what compact lenses are you using on the a7cr? i haven't really been happy with any 35 i have tried on my a7cii except the 35 lux pre-asph, which is a very different kind of lens.


My perspective may be a little different since I prefer a slightly longer focal length than 35 vs. slightly wider and my one knock on the RX1r lens is that it is a little wider than 35 - I think of it as a 32 and it has almost the same field of view as my Pentax 31/1.8.

As far as compact lenses, when I am traveling with my A7CR and want one compact lens, I find the 40/2.5 GM to be a great fit with the camera. As Dustin Abbot says in his review, bokeh quality is good. There are some examples in his review:

https://dustinabbott.net/2021/07/sony-fe-40mm-f2-8-g-review/

My comment would be good, but not special.

I have the Monster Pentax K to E mount adapter which works great and usually I am using my old Pentax lenses because I just like the way photos I take with them look. My 77/1.8 and 31/1.8 are the ones I use the most, but the the 70/2.4 is a very compact lens with almost the same rendering as the 77/1.8 and despite being labeled a DA lens, works fine on a full frame sensor as does the DA 40/2.8. Funny thing is that Eye AF works so well with the Monster adapter that I am getting better focus with my Pentax screw drive lenses on the A7CR than I had with my Pentax DSLRs.




Mar 29, 2024 at 12:07 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #9 · p.357 #9 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


Jeff Kott wrote:
My perspective may be a little different since I prefer a slightly longer focal length than 35 vs. slightly wider and my one knock on the RX1r lens is that it is a little wider than 35 - I think of it as a 32 and it has almost the same field of view as my Pentax 31/1.8.

As far as compact lenses, when I am traveling with my A7CR and want one compact lens, I find the 40/2.5 GM to be a great fit with the camera. As Dustin Abbot says in his review, bokeh quality is good. There
...Show more

ah, I do like the 31/1.8, but it is too big (not enough smaller than my c/y 35/1.4 to keep) and focuses the wrong direction. have you shot the the sigma 35/2 as well as the sony 40/2.5 to have an idea how they compare?

I suspect the best replacement for the rx1 for me is the a7cii with the cv 40/1.2, but the size is noticeably bigger and the lens just isn't quite as much too my liking (though it is very nice).



Mar 30, 2024 at 02:22 AM
bjhurley
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #10 · p.357 #10 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


sebboh wrote:
I suspect the best replacement for the rx1 for me is the a7cii with the cv 40/1.2, but the size is noticeably bigger and the lens just isn't quite as much too my liking (though it is very nice).


What about your long-ago claim that the A6000 + Contax G 28/2.8 is better than an RX1? Would a more recent Sony APS-C coupled with this lens or another small great 28 give you what you're looking for? You could do the same with an A7cr in APS-C mode, but sounds like you already have the A7cii. For alternative 28 lenses there's the newish CV Color-Skopar 28/2.8 that's super tiny but perhaps lacking in character. Smallest is the MS Optics Apoqualia 28/2 and 28/1.7 and I can attest that the 28/2 looks very nice on APS-C but ergonomics are fiddly. There's also the Brightin Star 28/2.8 that's about the same size as MS Optics but cheaper and a better optical performer.



Mar 30, 2024 at 05:48 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff Kott
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #11 · p.357 #11 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


sebboh wrote:
have you shot the the sigma 35/2 as well as the sony 40/2.5 to have an idea how they compare?


I havenít tried the Sigma, but as I mentioned if Iím heading out with a small kit and one lens I personally prefer the slightly longer focal length. I also have an E mount CV 50/1.2 which takes gorgeous photos, but I seem to be getting lazy about MF and I like using my Pentax lenses so much that I am almost using them exclusively except for high resolution landscape type photos. With the Monster adapter, the focus direction is irrelevant since it AFs the screw drive lenses.

Writing this post, makes me realize that I have way too many lenses and should put some energy into getting rid of the ones that I donít use very often.




Mar 30, 2024 at 10:58 AM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #12 · p.357 #12 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


bjhurley wrote:
What about your long-ago claim that the A6000 + Contax G 28/2.8 is better than an RX1? Would a more recent Sony APS-C coupled with this lens or another small great 28 give you what you're looking for? You could do the same with an A7cr in APS-C mode, but sounds like you already have the A7cii. For alternative 28 lenses there's the newish CV Color-Skopar 28/2.8 that's super tiny but perhaps lacking in character. Smallest is the MS Optics Apoqualia 28/2 and 28/1.7 and I can attest that the 28/2 looks very nice on APS-C but ergonomics are fiddly.
...Show more

ha! i haven't been paying attention to sony's aps-c camera lately, what's the smallest one with a viewfinder? maybe i should get one so I can finally finish that review i promised 6 years ago "How the A6000 + Contax G 28/2.8 is better than an RX1" (my aps-c died before i could do the technical tests and i wasn't interested in buying a new one then). the short answer to the question at the time was that the shooting experience was much better with no increase in size and little loss in image quality. the original rx1 was obviously much better in low light and narrow dof, though not really anywhere else. if i shot with the a6000 + g28 all the time i would probably be a better photographer, but i wouldn't be able to take a lot of the night shots i took with the rx1. i have not been near as enamored with any of the newer faster or smaller 28mm lenses i've tried sadly, so it would still be the g28 if i went that route.




Mar 30, 2024 at 01:58 PM
Oogappeltje
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #13 · p.357 #13 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


Rx1



Mar 30, 2024 at 03:03 PM
bjhurley
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #14 · p.357 #14 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


sebboh wrote:
ha! i haven't been paying attention to sony's aps-c camera lately, what's the smallest one with a viewfinder?



I'm in the same boat, unfortunately; haven't kept up with them. I shot a NEX-6 for nearly 10 years and enjoyed it but then went to full-frame. I'm also not really satisfied with any 28; just got the VM 28/1.5 and so far not in love but it's early days; Nehemiah seems to like his although the mid-zone dip is a problem. It's not that small, either.

Going back to your A7c and a small 35, there are certainly lots of good, small, fast 35mm lenses today that work well on Sony but I don't think any them can match the Zeiss lens on the RX1. I've settled on the VM Ultron 35/2 for my small worry-free 35; it's sharp, contrasty, and has some character wide open and close to it.



Mar 30, 2024 at 03:15 PM
nehemiahphoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.357 #15 · p.357 #15 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


bjhurley wrote:
I'm in the same boat, unfortunately; haven't kept up with them. I shot a NEX-6 for nearly 10 years and enjoyed it but then went to full-frame. I'm also not really satisfied with any 28; just got the VM 28/1.5 and so far not in love but it's early days; Nehemiah seems to like his although the mid-zone dip is a problem. It's not that small, either.

Going back to your A7c and a small 35, there are certainly lots of good, small, fast 35mm lenses today that work well on Sony but I don't think any them can match the
...Show more

Itís just the one the best (and few) non-RX1 options, especially as a 28mm. I enjoy it for that 28mm + speed, but I canít say I am in love. I have similar feelings on the 35i. Strong AF option, but no RX1.

I really like the 35 Lux pre-asph, 31 Pentax and CY 35/1.4, MS-Optics 35/1.4 are the very best many options I tried. But each with issues as a walk around.

I think Iíll just end up going back to my CV 35/2 Ultron as my regularly modern lens carry. A bit better than the 28/1.5 (size + midzone), but also not in love with it.



Mar 31, 2024 at 06:10 AM
cborel83
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #16 · p.357 #16 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


Hopefully a new one comes out soon


Apr 01, 2024 at 07:20 AM
sselhtrim
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #17 · p.357 #17 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread





















Apr 01, 2024 at 07:53 AM
Nick386
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #18 · p.357 #18 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


Awesome shots, everyone! I just picked up a used Rx1rii for a really decent price. I've been shooting with it for a few weeks as I go about my daily life, and may start posting a few photos soon. I have some big trips planned this summer, so I'm hoping it will become my go-to travel camera.

Can anybody give a quick overview of how to upload images? I tried copying a URL from Flickr but it does not seem to be working. Thanks!



Apr 01, 2024 at 10:07 AM
thokophoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #19 · p.357 #19 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1369568/0?keyword


Apr 02, 2024 at 01:00 AM
Grenache
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.357 #20 · p.357 #20 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread


Nick386 wrote:
Awesome shots, everyone! I just picked up a used Rx1rii for a really decent price. I've been shooting with it for a few weeks as I go about my daily life, and may start posting a few photos soon. I have some big trips planned this summer, so I'm hoping it will become my go-to travel camera.

Can anybody give a quick overview of how to upload images? I tried copying a URL from Flickr but it does not seem to be working. Thanks!


If you click the curved arrow icon to the lower right of images in Flickr, it brings up a tabbed menu. Select BB Code and the the desired size (~1000px wide fits well in the forum pages). Copy that code and paste it into any reply or thread box at FM.






Apr 02, 2024 at 03:54 AM
1       2       3              356              358       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              356              358       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.