1       2       3              31      
       end

Cell Phone Image Thread

BokehBeauty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.32 #1 · p.32 #1 · Cell Phone Image Thread

New York at day and night.
It's horrible how loud construction noise is in Manhattan during the day, even on my hotel terrace on the 26th floor. Noise-canceling headset a must for me.

Sorry for the large image size. I want to show the quality of the iPhone 14 Pro images even at night.
iPhone 14 Pro, upper picture - heic, lower dng.

Edited on Nov 28, 2023 at 04:40 PM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:18 AM
BokehBeauty
• • •
p.32 #2 · p.32 #2 · Cell Phone Image Thread

Erfurt, Germany
iPhone 14 Pro, upper picture dng, lower heic.

Edited on Nov 26, 2023 at 11:35 AM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:22 AM
BokehBeauty
• • •
p.32 #3 · p.32 #3 · Cell Phone Image Thread

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:23 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.32 #4 · p.32 #4 · Cell Phone Image Thread

Hipstamatic tintype app on iPhone SE

The session by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

Hipstamatic app on iPhone SE

Full metal tree by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

Montréal sous la pluie by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

Dec 19, 2023 at 06:13 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.32 #5 · p.32 #5 · Cell Phone Image Thread

It kind of irks me that I spent a lot of money on cameras and lenses this year, but some of my favorite images of 2023 were shot on my phone. Here's one from two evenings ago, Hipstamatic app on iPhone SE.

View of Laval at night by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

Dec 29, 2023 at 01:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.32 #6 · p.32 #6 · Cell Phone Image Thread

© jcolwell 2005-2024

Snowshroom

SM-G975W    4mm    f/1.5    1/40s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 04, 2024 at 06:49 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.32 #7 · p.32 #7 · Cell Phone Image Thread

bjhurley wrote:
It kind of irks me that I spent a lot of money on cameras and lenses this year, but some of my favorite images of 2023 were shot on my phone. Here's one from two evenings ago, Hipstamatic app on iPhone SE.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53429057916_e60737fdb4_c.jpgView of Laval at night by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

"f/8 and be there"

"The best camera in the world, is the one you have with you."

I often tell my family to shoot with their phones, and that they can get "better" pictures with their phones, than I can with some of my gear. I have specific things in my mind when I'm shooting with my gear ... when using the phone, it's so much more about capturing the moment of being there.

This will sound blasphemous ... but, the phone IS the camera that the 35mm camera was designed to be, just a century of evolution to get that "smaller and lighter, but still excellent" reduction from it's larger brethren (and its burden of carry, relative to size / weight) of cameras.

Personally, I rarely shoot with my phone ... but, I recognize its parallel of larger format > smaller format (still suitable quality for many things) = greater opportunity of capture. Imo, that's the exact same ethos that the 35mm camera was born out of, and history has shown that as the smaller format (i.e. 35mm, etc.) has improved its quality / capability, the reliance on the larger format (LF / MF) has been reduced. APS-C and m43 are efforts in reduction of carry burden, but they are incremental reductions compared to the revolutionary reduction of the phone.

I see the 35mm > phone in the same parallel as LF > MF > 35 > APS-C > m43 for the quest to reduce carry burden ... thereby increasing opportunity. Granted, each format has it's own limitations / benefits to be advantaged or harnessed, but I don't think one should discount having two different sized tools (i.e. camera gear vs. phone) as being something to be irked by.

I've always had "one for slow, one for go". The phone (imo) makes for a very good "one for go" compared to other gears.

That said ... I'm diggin' your shots.

I'm a "late to the party" kind of person, but I can see a phone in my photographic future.
My historic phone needs have been industrial / ruggedized, so they aren't exactly the same level of photographic tool as most folks are shooting with. Now that "regular" phones have improved their reliability / durability ... they are an option I can consider, going forward. 2025 (late 2024 models) will probably see me embrace the phone as a genuine part of my photographic arsenal of tools ... e.g. the one that's always with me.

One thing's for sure ... phones have brought photography to the masses in a way that is exponentially more enumerating than the 35mm camera did when it arrived.

Funny, what 100 years or so can do.

Feb 04, 2024 at 09:23 AM
SteveF
• • • •
p.32 #8 · p.32 #8 · Cell Phone Image Thread

BokehBeauty wrote:
New York at day and night.
It's horrible how loud construction noise is in Manhattan during the day, even on my hotel terrace on the 26th floor. Noise-canceling headset a must for me.

Sorry for the large image size. I want to show the quality of the iPhone 14 Pro images even at night.
iPhone 14 Pro, upper picture - heic, lower dng.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/IPhone/i-68sVXjP/3/bef70899/X4/A76D1314-A28A-4A74-9008-BC1DF8BD7476-X4.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/IPhone/i-56b2x53/0/850e8ecd/X4/B22B39EE-23D5-464E-A2B9-867FBA6F5ED5-Pano-SharpenAI-X4.jpg

Wonderful photos - the night time in NY and the German scene both look great.

Feb 05, 2024 at 02:49 PM
BokehBeauty
• • •
p.32 #9 · p.32 #9 · Cell Phone Image Thread

SteveF wrote:
Wonderful photos - the night time in NY and the German scene both look great.

Thank you so much!

Feb 07, 2024 at 02:23 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.