New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon extender : 1.4x III vs II

IndioInMrica
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon extender : 1.4x III vs II

Thinking of buying one. Aside from difference in coatings are there any other major differences? Anybody have real world tales to share?

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:02 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon extender : 1.4x III vs II

Both the 1.4x III and 2x III have different optics than previous versions. I compared the 1.4x Mk I with Mk III, and found the III is consistently sharper at the edges and in the corners than the Mk I, which has the same optics as the Mk II. I posted comparison images for the 1.4x III and 2x III last year.

Extender 1.4x Mk I vs. Mk III https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1002803
Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1002804
EF Extenders Mk III and Kenko https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1023533

Look for 1.4x in the Topic Search box for more recent threads, there's tons of them.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon extender : 1.4x III vs II

the 1.4XII is very close to 1.4X III in terms of optics. You won't see much of a difference. The main advantage is the micro controller in MKIII TCs which can only talk to MKII super telephoto lenses for more accurate focusing. If you have or plan to get MKII super telephotos it is better to get MKIII TCs, if not I'd stick with MKII.

If you want to see controlled test between MKII and MKIII TCs have a look at Doug Brown's review.

http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/2011/01/the-new-canon-teleconverters-image-quality-comparison/

Edited on Jun 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:35 AM
StarNut
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon extender : 1.4x III vs II

I saw enough difference that it was worth the $300 or so that it cost me to upgrade (I kept both the new ones and sold my 1.4xII and 2xII).

YMMV; whether it's "worth it" would be a function of (i) how dear $300 is to you, and (ii) how well the new one performs with your lenses/bodies compared to the old one.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon extender : 1.4x III vs II

I have both a 1.4x II and a 1.4x III. If I was looking at 100% crops on the screen very closely I might (and I emphasize might) see very minor differences somewhere in the frame. But I have no inclination to do so, and, in practical terms, with regard to how printed images look, I see no difference at all with either of the super telephotos that I've used it with.

Over time, the weight of a heavy lens can cause very slight deformation of the mount on a teleconverter, which can cause a deterioration of image quality. I previously had a 1.4x on which this happened. I do notice that, on the 1.4x III the mount is secured with more screws, and, perhaps, that will result in better long-term performance of the converter, but, with regard to image quality advantages, I see no real world difference. In spite of the cognitive dissonance that leads virtually everyone (and especially those who post on internet boards) to ignore reality and to give reason to justify the soundness of our purchasing decisions, the more realistic conclusion that I've come to is that the $500 that I spent on the 1.4x III could have been better spent elsewhere. As others have pointed out, there may be some advantage to using the version III extenders with the newest super telephoto lenses, but I do not have one of those lenses, and, thus, I have no idea whether any differences would be significant or whether they would be negligible in real world usage.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:20 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon extender : 1.4x III vs II

StarNut wrote:
I saw enough difference that it was worth the $300 or so that it cost me to upgrade (I kept both the new ones and sold my 1.4xII and 2xII).

YMMV; whether it's "worth it" would be a function of (i) how dear $300 is to you, and (ii) how well the new one performs with your lenses/bodies compared to the old one.

Same with me and I would rarely use the 1.4x II and would never use it on a 70-200 2.8 IS but now constantly use the 1.4x MKIII with my 70-200 2.8 IS MKII for softball, love it!!!

Jun 26, 2012 at 01:49 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon extender : 1.4x III vs II

There is a big difference in amount of CA, III maybe has 3x less, that said, shooting RAW you fix up CA fairly well and reduce the difference to being pretty minor, if you shoot a lot of jpgs I think it makes enough difference to be worth it though.

Center sharpness, soooooo close. At 200% view, after a lot of careful looking, I was able to repeatable notice that the III had a trace better micro-contrast, but we are talking pixel peeping to the most extreme degree, I mean staring for a while, super carefully at 200% (and I have eyes that tend to notice such differences easily and quickly) so honestly there is zero practical different there at all.

Edge sharpness, the new one is better there. If you want it looking sharp out to the edges then the III is better there and that goes for JPG or corrected RAW.

So if you shoot jpgs a lot get the III. If you mostly shoot RAW then it depends if you are finicky enough to care about sharp to the edges vs. the big price difference or not. For some it may be worth it, for many it may not.

I decided to keep the III, but I can imagine that many, probably even a majority, would not.

Oh and if you are so lucky as get a Mark II IS super-tele it is supposed to focus more precisely with those.

Jun 26, 2012 at 04:34 PM
IndioInMrica
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon extender : 1.4x III vs II

Thanks all. I will go for a III. Anybody got one to sell

Jun 28, 2012 at 02:13 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.