FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · X-Pro 1 tested by Pop Photo

boinkphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · X-Pro 1 tested by Pop Photo

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Well, digital is quite different then film with regard to a specific "look". It's certainly more flexible and malleable, which is obvious from the different "looks" specific raw processors give out of the box just as mentioned above. A lot of this is simply down to different custom color profiles and curves. If we leave the lens out of the equation (which certainly does impart a unique fingerprint/ look), the fact is that these looks from different cameras can be emulated quite easily by those who know what they are doing. That's not to say there is not a
...Show more

True, though from experience I think it's harder than you imply. That said, does anyone who buys a camera based on specs really go through the effort of manipulating all of their photos to look like the other camera who's output they prefer? I think not.

Assuming no lens lock and you actually like the Canon output, based on specs would you (not "you" personally, but general "you") buy a D800 over say the 5d mk III and plan to manipulate every one to look like the Canon? Does anyone really do that? Again, I think not.

Lot's of people say Fuji skintones are awesome, yet I see very few Nikon or Canon images manipulated to match. That would seem a no-brainer, and yet people rarely do.

The point I guess being, even if you can with effort manipulate every photo to match some other camera that you really like, if the average image from the camera you are going to buy doesn't float your boat it would seem silly to buy it. The fact that that isn't the primary consideration for most buyers (or reviewers) seems a little odd to me.

May 31, 2012 at 06:47 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · X-Pro 1 tested by Pop Photo

You don't need to manipulate every single photo individually the way you are suggesting at all. You just need to create one profile with the look you like (or many profiles for different looks to cover different subjects and situations).

If I want the look I'm used to seeing out of my old X100, I might create a profile for my NEX-7 which pushes the greens a bit towards yellow (saturate them a bit more as well), tweak the blues to favor more cyan than magenta (very noticeable in blue sky's from the X100 and X-Pro1 in my experience) and so on. I have done this actually as it's useful to match output for better comparison when tests are needed.

Many professionals do profile their Nikon's and Canons by the way so I'm not sure why you say it's not done.

May 31, 2012 at 07:07 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · X-Pro 1 tested by Pop Photo

boinkphoto wrote:
True, though from experience I think it's harder than you imply. That said, does anyone who buys a camera based on specs really go through the effort of manipulating all of their photos to look like the other camera who's output they prefer? I think not.

Assuming no lens lock and you actually like the Canon output, based on specs would you (not "you" personally, but general "you") buy a D800 over say the 5d mk III and plan to manipulate every one to look like the Canon? Does anyone really do that? Again, I think not.

Lot's of people say Fuji
...Show more

Most raw converters, through profiling, make files from most cameras look relatively similar. There may be subtle differences, but it usually just comes down to profiling. I don't manipulate my images to look like other cameras, but I do manipulate my images to my own specific look or "film," and it isn't all that difficult to switch between cameras, for me. The X-Pro1, being so different in design, could possibly make things more difficult for me, but I haven't played around with the raws enough to know.

May 31, 2012 at 07:10 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · X-Pro 1 tested by Pop Photo

boinkphoto wrote:
The point I guess being, even if you can with effort manipulate every photo to match some other camera that you really like, if the average image from the camera you are going to buy doesn't float your boat it would seem silly to buy it. The fact that that
...Show more

I am not totally sure I follow your logic - starting from scratch, there's a lot to consider when picking a platform:

- Ergonomics
- Sensor performance (DR, high-low ISO, etc)
- Lenses (including legacy and "new" offerings)
- Feature set
- Accessories (studio/field lighting)

I think in the digital age, "look" has been subordinated by the above criteria. Some of this is Douglas' reference to RAW conversion that neuters the files, but also the litany of software platforms (Topaz, Nik's Suite, Alien Skin, Photoshop for the more technically skilled) that more or less allows for a lot of latitude behind putting the photographer's vision into practice.

If you're saying that if you like a camera's output without a lot of effort, that's a great side-benefit, but I think it's a lot less important in the digital world than people make it out to be.

May 31, 2012 at 07:27 PM
gtxtom

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · X-Pro 1 tested by Pop Photo

Is anyone else seeing the watercolor effect with JPEGs? My first few shots all look like a 10 year old point and shoot ... It's pretty disheartening.

Jun 15, 2012 at 05:55 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.