Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Baseball Positioning/ Team poses U9

Maced
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Baseball Positioning/ Team poses U9

So I have been shooting through the fence and some shots that I know should be sharp are softer than they should be. We had a tournament this past weekend and it was a big backstop right up to the dugouts and there weren't any openings in the fence line until the grass.. So BAD positioning. I am curious if other people shoot through the fence? I get usable shots i suppose...

Example...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7214/6962159216_dca039e874_c.jpg

I just don't hate shooting almost from behind them to get anything in the clear.

Also,

Second question for individual shots.. What do you think about this?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7208/7108232557_8db84e87c3_c.jpg

I used my 10-22 laying flat on my back looking up. It certainly loosened up the boys as I was flopping on the ground for them... =)

~ Randy

Apr 23, 2012 at 09:25 PM
RyanL
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Baseball Positioning/ Team poses U9

My first post on this board, but I really love the sports forum here. So here's my 2 cents.

I rarely shoot through the fence behind the plate. For more than one reason I guess. At most fields I shoot, there are many people behind the plate, I will occasionally shoot, but only if I am not impeding anyone's view. I actually like the side view for pitching, you get the full stretch, a nice wide shot, of course you only get half the face.

As for the second shot. I like it, I was thinking of doing something similar for a pose option, not sure I want to lay on the ground, but I do strive to impress, so its not out of the question. The only issue I have is his face position. You have his chin hidden in his shirt collar. A little reflector to lighten up the shadows under the hat would be good as well. Back to the pose though, if you could get the few things cleaned up, I think it would be popular pose. Thinking acrylic statuettes would look nice in this pose as well.

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Baseball Positioning/ Team poses U9

As for the shooting through the fence and its your only option, then you do it. Just need to pinch the levels more than usual and you have to be conscious of fence lattice in the bokeh. Darker fences are better than silver fences when it comes to bokeh lattice.

As for the individual pose... yes, I like this particular shot, but personally, I wouldn't do this when it comes to pleasing the masses. Younger kids will have a difficult time understanding what it is that you want them to do and will look awkward and uncomfortable doing it. More athletic kids will fall into this easier while it will take longer for the non-athletic kids and still not look right. Essentially, you'll want to keep it simple for the masses.

Plus, depending on how many teams/kids, you will constantly be dealing with a changing sun and having to adapt to the changing lighting with every pose, since each kid won't fall into the same exact cookie cutter that you have laid out. Creative poses present a high risk-low reward factor and with T&I, it's about getting them in and getting them out as quickly as possible.

Apr 24, 2012 at 05:34 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Baseball Positioning/ Team poses U9

Randy....nice shots on both accounts here and I agreee with Paul's response. I just did a T&I session on Sunday and it was a challenge to have the little ones (ages 5-6) to just stand there facing me with the bat on their shoulder. Keep it simple and keep everything moving to not slow you down or keep the parents waiting longer than they have to.

But I do like the shots though.

Frank

Apr 24, 2012 at 07:52 AM
NHDave
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Baseball Positioning/ Team poses U9

last year, when time allowed, we would do a couple extra
poses. I was the kid wrangler. For one child, we chose one of the
non conventional shots. We thought it was the shot the mom
liked, it resulted in a return and re-print. big order too...
We took care of it and the mom ended up being happy, but I
think we learned not to get too artistic...

but I also like that shot too...

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:18 AM
RyanL
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Baseball Positioning/ Team poses U9

On that note, I do have to agree with the above responses. For the smaller children, they don't get a choice on posing. For 9/10-13/14 I give them choice on poses. Standing, kneeling, or a creative pose. Most opt for the first 2 and could care less, a few that I have known, done shots or posters for, or even coached in the past have opted for more dramatic shots.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Maced
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Baseball Positioning/ Team poses U9

So a little more background here with the T&I. I am still small at this point. I do travel teams exclusively because the President of our local optimist club, just happens to be the Photography business that does the "masses" (no conflict in interest there eh?) for the Optimist football/basketball/soccer/lax/etc.

I have a print out of poses for the boys which makes it go fairly quick. I had two other boys that chose this pose and had a difficult time positioning themselves (and keeping in position once I got em where I wanted them, because I had to lay on the ground again )

I have the "luxury" of being able to take a little more time instead of the cattle run that is the larger Optimist/Local Little league.

While VERY in-efficient, I usually take 2-3 team shots and 2-3 individuals and I let the parents pick. If I had a LOT of teams to do this would obviously not be possible, but because I have the extra time, I am able to offer these types of choices.

My set up for the individual shot was actually using a reflector. Looking back on this particular shot I wish I would have been a little more aware of the collar. Definitely a mental note on that front!

But thanks all for the comments and help. I need to get my home field to cut out a little "hockey hole" for me. Or maybe I should just show up in the dark of the night with a pair of snips...

Apr 24, 2012 at 09:42 PM
RyanL
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Baseball Positioning/ Team poses U9

I liked the shot you did, so I decided to shoot a similar one of my boy after his game last night. My new opinion...NEVER would I do these for T&I. I was constantly telling him to move the bat here, there, I ended up grabbing the bat and positioning it myself behind the camera. I do like the shot...but if my 11 year old has trouble....forget about the lil guys!

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n242/jackofalltrades27/HomerBoy-3.jpg

May 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Baseball Positioning/ Team poses U9

Some coach/umpires will accept the "touching the fence rule". Allow you to shoot inside if you are always in contact with the fence (no wandering around) to take pictures.

May 11, 2012 at 02:50 PM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Baseball Positioning/ Team poses U9

P Alesse wrote:
As for the individual pose... yes, I like this particular shot, but personally, I wouldn't do this when it comes to pleasing the masses. Younger kids will have a difficult time understanding what it is that you want them to do and will look awkward and uncomfortable doing it. More athletic kids will fall into this easier while it will take longer for the non-athletic kids and still not look right. Essentially, you'll want to keep it simple for the masses.

Plus, depending on how many teams/kids, you will constantly be dealing with a changing sun and having to
...Show more

Really Paulie,

You did not tell me this when I had to take a few hundred shots like this, in 105 degree weather with a black metal building reflecting the sun to my scalp. !! I would call that the masses. Show them the Mr.Peanut shot.

On a serious note, I can tell you from experience I shot over a hundred 12 year olds with a similar type of shot and man it was pretty brutal. If you are crunched for time forgetaboutit!!

I do like the shot its just not as good of a sale as the traditional bat on shoulder and say cheese shot.

Shane

May 11, 2012 at 09:55 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.