Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              29      
       end

Archive 2012 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

pompo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #1 · p.30 #1 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

I don't really think they cant do anything at all the side lighting is due to hardware, they cannot get rid of those and replace them with 61 LEDs with a firmware upgrade.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #2 · p.30 #2 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

Todd Klassy wrote:
Is that a factor of the lens or the aperture? I would think there's just as much light coming into a lens at f/2.8 regardless of whether it is a prime lens or a zoom lens, no?

And Photon, is the AF illumination equally annoying on the 1DX?

A max aperture effect. The view with 100 L (2.8) is the same as with 2.8 zooms.

The situation is the same for the 1DX except that I found a slightly helpful (for me) workaround using a MultiFunction button.workaround

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.30 #3 · p.30 #3 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

pompo wrote:
I don't really think they cant do anything at all the side lighting is due to hardware, they cannot get rid of those and replace them with 61 LEDs with a firmware upgrade.

True, but it _can_ flash red on the chosen AF point, so I'd think it could do that when you touch the shutter button, not just when hitting AF-On or moving the joystick. The 5D III doesn't have the M-Fn buttons of the 1DX, but maybe it could do that with the DOF preview button (as well as shutter release).

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.30 #4 · p.30 #4 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

Todd Klassy wrote:
I wish Canon would get off their collective butts and let everyone know formally if they plan to do something about it or not.

+1

They can alert us of FW 2.0 of the 7D months ahead so why not this?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:25 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.30 #5 · p.30 #5 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

This is really the only truly annoying bug with the 5D Mark III (unless you count some of the things that the video guys have been bellyaching about). At least its the only serious thing that has gained traction.

And no, they can make a hardware change, but firmware coding can be used to give it additional functionality thus making this far less of an annoyance. That much I'm certain of.

The more we keep this on Canon's radar the more likely they will do something. I hope they do something soon.

Aug 14, 2012 at 04:14 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.30 #6 · p.30 #6 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

I'm wondering if Canon is waiting for both the AF illumination and the lockup issues to be resolved before updating the FW on the 1DX. Lack of AF illumination in AI-Servo is bad enough but random lockups would drive me crazy.

Once again you have to ask yourself how either one of these problems got through development testing. I hope that testers are not just telling Canon what they want to hear in order to retain their status for early development.

Aug 14, 2012 at 07:28 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.30 #7 · p.30 #7 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

I had not heard about the 1Dx "lock up" issue.

As for getting past testers, I suspect there were those who did complain about it, but Canon underestimated its real impact.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.30 #8 · p.30 #8 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

no the locked ISO 400 with flash in A ISO is pretty annoying.
Or the fact that the locked flash setting only goes to 200 even if HS sync is on.
I hate having it locked (and the 1/60-200 is nice, but not quite there, like auto iso on the 40d) and walking outside and having to fiddle with menus so that AV mode works properly
Thats the biggest (and simply solved) bug in the 5DIII

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:13 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.30 #9 · p.30 #9 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

kodakeos wrote:
no the locked ISO 400 with flash in A ISO is pretty annoying.
Or the fact that the locked flash setting only goes to 200 even if HS sync is on.
I hate having it locked (and the 1/60-200 is nice, but not quite there, like auto iso on the 40d) and walking outside and having to fiddle with menus so that AV mode works properly
Thats the biggest (and simply solved) bug in the 5DIII

Unfortunately locked ISO400 in flash mode with autoISO has been a "feature" of Canon DLSRs for many years and is not unique to the 5D3. I don't bother with AutoISO if using flash. But then it could be worse. The Olympus cameras lock at ISO200 in flash mode! when using autoISO.

Aug 15, 2012 at 02:20 PM
MintMar
• • •
p.30 #10 · p.30 #10 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

Yakim Peled wrote:
+1

They can alert us of FW 2.0 of the 7D months ahead so why not this?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

I think they're still scratching their head on how to avoid the loss of face in the japanese way. After they figure that out, they start thinking about fixing it in the limits set by the success of the first process.

Aug 16, 2012 at 08:18 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.30 #11 · p.30 #11 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

Oh btw, guys, here's the AF-illumination module taken out from the EOS-3 camera. It's been malfunctioning, so there was no problem to take it apart a bit. As you can see, there aren't 45 LEDs, but rather one, and a matrix which most probably works as a LCD which un/blocks the light from the source to the focusing screen.

This thing is quite small and doesn't seem to cost arm and leg, so it looks more weird that Canon went with this Terminator eye red-glow-VF and didn't just include LCD overlay for the on-demand grid or whatever they want to display around the AF points of the good ol' multiple point red box system of EOS-3...1D4 era.

Aug 19, 2012 at 04:44 PM
pompo
• • •
p.30 #12 · p.30 #12 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

bump!

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM
szinski

p.30 #13 · p.30 #13 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

Since the 5D3 doesn't have a "pre-blink" like the 5D2 and 6D, I simply tap the AF point selection button with my thumb which illuminates the AF points. Then I quickly tap the shutter button to cancel. Works like a charm.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.30 #14 · p.30 #14 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

I have to wonder if it was because it just became impractical to light up each point independently with 65 focus points?

Either way, it definitely causes problems in crappy lighting for me occasionally. Not as big a deal as some have made it but it definitely causes troubles occasionally.

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:29 AM
pompo
• • •
p.30 #15 · p.30 #15 · 5d M III Viewfinder illumination and af points!

only God knows how many shots I have missed using prime lenses in bright daylight ( 1,2 and 1.4) ...the AF points becomes soooo freaking light that they are almost transparent! I wonder how Nikon does it but this intelligent viewfinder sucks, on the viewfinder 1D IV was perfect instead

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.