Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

Sirfishalot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

Seems that the Voigtlander 35/1.2 is quickly becoming the next CV Holy Grail. I'm curious if anyone has an idea of how much better the new model is compared to the original? From what I've seen here in the NEX images thread the ver II is just killer, but so is the price. Perhaps it will follow the suit of the CV 125 so maybe we better jump on it while we still can.

Thanks,
JayT

Edited on Mar 22, 2012 at 07:18 PM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2012 at 02:28 AM
RZetter
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

You probably mean the 35/1.2, since there isn't any ver II of the 35/1.4, just an 1.4 SC and MC.

Mar 22, 2012 at 03:20 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

I asked the same question here and got some good links:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1080639/7#10457608

They seem pretty equal

Mar 23, 2012 at 06:09 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

It's possible the current version, in some situations only then, delivers half a notch higher contrast. That and the MFD together with some minor cosmetic changes (a new red dot, a wider focusing ring, more space between the focusing and aperture rings) are the only differences.

(Yes, I have owned both, now have v2 and I wouldn't try to sell it if it hadn't been for me jumping back to micro 4/3, and the darn thing is still available.)

Mar 23, 2012 at 06:59 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

I always heard great things about VI and decided to give it a try about 1 yr ago. I went thru two copies and both were way off on focus and extremely soft even stopped down. I said I wouldn't try it again. Then they had to release a VII....and I gave it another shot. WOW, that lens is the real deal. I had at the same time a 35 Lux ASPH and sold the Lux. The 35 Nokton is sharper straight from wide open and doesn't have the focus shift as the ASPH I did. The 35 Nokton is also sharper than the newest $5,000 Lux ASPH FLE at near to mid distance. At infinity in the center it isn't quite up to the sharpness of the Leica 35 f/1.4 ASPH lenses. The outer region and corners the CV 35 f/1.2 II is the winner. It is slightly less contrasty and of course larger.

Many reports I have seen say it is slightly sharper and contrasty vs VI....but my experience was it was a world of a difference. I think the issue with the VI is copy variation

Also, I used it on the NEX-5N and while a little large, I loved it. I have used a ton of Leica glass on the NEX including 50 Lux ASPH, and the CV 35 Nokton was my absolute favorite lens. The .5 mfd really helps, especially if you don't have a Hawks adapter.

Mar 23, 2012 at 07:23 AM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

I don't have vI but have vII. The .5 mfd is really handy. It has become my favorite 35 while my ZM 35/2 become my compact walkaround lens.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:54 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

I have the VII, I think the 0.5m is nice to have, and the lens is a solid performer. I wish I had a 35/2 as a compact walk around lens too.

The V1 has 0.7m close focus and that is pretty poor, even considering the platform it was designed for.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

So how big are they? (desperatly seeking a reason not to buy one..)

Mar 23, 2012 at 03:38 PM
Jgreene11
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

I just bought one and sent it back. On the NEX5n it is really top heavy. The IQ is amazing though. I purchased a 35/2 Zeiss for it compact size and good IQ. It was a tough decision, but I prefer a more compact system.

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:31 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

I have VI version. It is huge in terms of M size. But it is at about the size ZF P50 in real life. though, I feel it is heavier.

I liked size and shape of new VII design. But prefer the black filter ring and LH-3 non_smooth hood finish, which IMO has better quality.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7145/6665294567_def44e9f3f_b.jpg

Above is the picture I was trying to sell my Leica M9 before and turns out I love it more and more and decide to keep it.

My copy is spot on focus. I feel it is quite sharp at 1.2. Not very contrast, but no Haze as well. Focus is well damped and sharp cross the full frame at f5.6. I, personally, did not notice focus shift. but I seldom use it around f2.8. mostly, either 1.2-1.4 or 5.6-8 region. I will report back once I have time to do some test to verify. 0.7M doesn't bother me for my use.

It would be really interesting to see the performance difference at different distance between two.

AFAIK, the original one was discontinued because of one ASH element was too expensive to source. So I guess the performance difference will be minimal if not the new one has better contrast wide open at close distance. One thing slightly bother me is Onion ring Bokeh that Bokeh highlight shows layer as cross section of onion in VI version. I am not exact sure VII remove it or not. It is miner issue, but bother me slightly.

Here is the link I found useful. You may be interested.

http://lavidaleica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=120

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:39 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

wfrank wrote:
So how big are they? (desperatly seeking a reason not to buy one..)

It's big for a rangefinder lens, small for an SLR lens: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=39359676

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM
MikalWGrass
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

Is the difference in quality between v1 and v2 that noticeable? I plan on using it on an M6 TTL and / or Nex 7.

Thanks.

Apr 05, 2012 at 10:37 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

MikalWGrass wrote:
Is the difference in quality between v1 and v2 that noticeable? I plan on using it on an M6 TTL and / or Nex 7.

Thanks.

'SHOULDN'T' be. Copy variation is a problem with VI. If you get a good copy, you should be fine. You are missing out on the .5 mfd though with the VII which would come in handy on the NEX-7

Apr 05, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

MikalWGrass wrote:
Is the difference in quality between v1 and v2 that noticeable? (...)

"...that noticeable?"
No, it isn't. If you have read the thread this far you may ask a specific question as the qualities of the different versions has been described.

Apr 05, 2012 at 10:48 AM
MikalWGrass
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

Jonas, sorry. All that popped up from my google search was this one page.

Anyway, I am seriously considering the 1.2. I have also heard great things about the 1.4. Forgetting the fact that the 1.2 is bit faster, is the 1.2 alot better than the 1.4 in terms of image quality? I have seem various threads on this issue on other sites, and it seems to be a toss up.

Thanks again.

Apr 05, 2012 at 01:17 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

Mikal, I haven't used the 35/1.4. It does however feel pretty safe saying the 35/1.2 is significantly better at corresponding f-stops. The fast f/1.2 lens is sharper and has smoother bokeh (where the 35/1.4 sometimes becomes pretty wild).

I don't think it is a matter of personal taste in this case. I don't know how an IQ comparison can end with a toss up here. What matters is the money and the size/weight. If you can handle that the 35/1.2 is the lens of choice.

regards,

/Jonas

Apr 05, 2012 at 03:05 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

I've been using a new version II lens for the past week or so, and I'm really happy with it thus far. It's a great normal lens on a crop camera (Ricoh GXR in my case), unexpectedly sharp wide open, great smooth bokeh. I like that it's got lower contrast than my other lenses, as it seems to handle harsh light a little better. It's got a fair amount of LoCA wide open, but I'm not going to sweat that. The 0.5m close focus of version II is what sealed the deal for me over the first version.

Handling wise, I don't mind the size of the lens, as I find the wider focusing ring easier to use than the tabbed lenses. But it is a heavy sucker. The GXR with my ZM25 or CV15 is easy on the neck, but tilts forward with the 35/1.2. I just purchased a ZM 35/2.8 to use as a lighter alternative when speed is not needed and I want a more compact package.

Apr 05, 2012 at 05:46 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

MikalWGrass wrote:
Jonas, sorry. All that popped up from my google search was this one page.

Anyway, I am seriously considering the 1.2. I have also heard great things about the 1.4. Forgetting the fact that the 1.2 is bit faster, is the 1.2 alot better than the 1.4 in terms of image quality? I have seem various threads on this issue on other sites, and it seems to be a toss up.

Thanks again.

Yes, the f/1.2 will be sharper at f/1.4 than the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4, which also has focus shift and stronger field curvature.

Another point that might be relevant for the NEX is that that f/1.2 lens is a less symmetrical optical design and will have less problems with edge/corner sharpness. I haven't tried the CV35 f/1.4 on the NEX, but compared the f/1.2 against the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8, which is more symmetrical design, on the 5N, and the f/1.2 rendered a calmer image towards the corners. If you're curious, images are here.

Please note I'm using the newer version of the f/1.2 lens.

The f/1.2 is a more modern lens - sharp, good contrast, no focus shift, low distortion, well corrected, highly flare resistant. The CV35 f/1.4 is a lens intended to behave like older designs, hence the 'classic' reference in its name.

I thought this thread was informative, though not a comparison of the two versions: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/207470-vc-35-1-2-v2.html

I agree with the earlier comments about the f/1.2 on the NEX - it's heavy and poorly balanced, at least on the 5N. It will be a bit better with the 7 due to the larger body and grip, but still likely to put a strain on your fingers.

Apr 05, 2012 at 06:02 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

rsolti13 wrote:
'SHOULDN'T' be. Copy variation is a problem with VI. If you get a good copy, you should be fine. You are missing out on the .5 mfd though with the VII which would come in handy on the NEX-7

The M-Helocoid adapter is your friend if you're worried about MFD being not too close..

Apr 05, 2012 at 07:46 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Voigtlander 35/1.2 ver II or I?

CV 35/1.4 is a "classic" lens, low resolution, tons of aberration, focus shift, barrel distortion, etc. It is completely different from 35/1.2

Apr 05, 2012 at 08:30 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.