Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Playing with water and the flowers. Really wanted a water "splash" out of the center of the daisy.
Still trying

Used Nikon 60mm micor with extension tubes and 3 speed lights .

Birdie

Feb 17, 2012 at 01:30 PM
normsmith
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Birdie,

I knew you would come up with a good one for this assignment. I'm in a similar position that you were last week. Flowers just aren't my forte.

Norm

Feb 17, 2012 at 01:46 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Roberta, this is beautiful. I checked out your web site, and you are the water drop queen - great shots everywhere. That 60mm Nikkor micro can make your eyes bleed it is so sharp, and you seem to have mastered it's use! Might I pry a bit of info from you? What method do you use to deliver such round, and closely spaced drops?

Feb 17, 2012 at 09:30 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Birdie,

I knew you would come up with a good one for this assignment. I'm in a similar position that you were last week. Flowers just aren't my forte.

Norm

Thank you so much Norm! I know you can come up with a flower shot and you certainly more creative than I am !

Birdie

Feb 17, 2012 at 09:39 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Roberta, this is beautiful. I checked out your web site, and you are the water drop queen - great shots everywhere. That 60mm Nikkor micro can make your eyes bleed it is so sharp, and you seem to have mastered it's use! Might I pry a bit of info from you? What method do you use to deliver such round, and closely spaced drops?

James, thank you so very much! I agree that the 60mm is one very sharp lens. It has spoiled me as I find I compare my other lens to it!

I do have a lot of fun with the drops. I don't have any fancy electronic gizmos. Most of the shots on my web site were done with a plastic zip lock bag hung from my kitchen cabinet door. I simply poke a hoe in the bag with a pin.

I recently purchased a burette from on line science supply company , so this shot was with the burette

http://www.onlinesciencemall.com/acrylic-plastic-burette-buret-50ml-calibrated.html

There is a bit more control with the burette as you can control the rate of release. I am still trying to get the hang of it as I really want the water drop collisions. That is what I wanted to happen in the flower. Sometimes I just get lucky and get some really nice drops.

I used the SB900 with a medium opteka softbox positioned so that it was above the water , pointed down.
I had my SB600 with the dome diffuser on the left side aimed at the background.
I also had one SB R 200 with dome diffuser on the right side aimed upward toward the flowers.

In spite of everything I have read and been told, I do not shoot these in the dark. I have tried and I find my results are much better with the normal lighting of the room.

Also, I have learned that any vibration or air conditioning vent over where the drops fall affects the shape of the drops. So, no drafts and don't touch the plastic bag or burette when the drops are falling.

I use very cold water and sometime add a few drops of glycerine to it.

I shoot in manual mode and manual focus. I use a toothpick to focus . I put the toothpick where the drops are falling and focus on the toothpick.

Birdie

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Beautiful macro, birdied. The drops are wonderfully in space.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Exceptional work

Feb 19, 2012 at 02:53 PM
Bob_Martin
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Breathtaking image! So creative and lively!! And thank you so much for sharing your method - the burette is a brilliant idea!

Feb 20, 2012 at 02:15 AM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Excellent Roberta. I expected something like this from you for this theme. You do a great job with the water drops. Love it.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Beautiful macro, birdied. The drops are wonderfully in space.

Thank you so much !

Exceptional work

Thank you , appreciate it greatly!

Breathtaking image! So creative and lively!! And thank you so much for sharing your method - the burette is a brilliant idea!

Thank you Bob. Give it a try , you are only limited by your imagination

Excellent Roberta. I expected something like this from you for this theme. You do a great job with the water drops. Love it.

Thank you Mark ! When I saw the theme flowers, I knew there had to be water drops involved

Birdie

Feb 20, 2012 at 01:55 PM
dmanky
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Great shot! Yah I haven't found a flower one yet either so wintery up here!

Feb 20, 2012 at 02:29 PM
contre-jour
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Beautiful! The three speed lights certainly made the background light interesting. Thank you so much for sharing all the information about how you created this image. ~Jamie

Feb 20, 2012 at 09:32 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Great shot! Yah I haven't found a flower one yet either so wintery up here!

Thank you ! I hope you find something

Beautiful! The three speed lights certainly made the background light interesting. Thank you so much for sharing all the information about how you created this image. ~Jamie

Thanks Jamie, appreciate it. Give it a try

Birdie

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Thanks Birdie. I love the zip lock/pin hole...sounds like my kind of home made solution. I use to have kids be my extra hands...now, I can't find a one of them to help out the old man anymore. Think I will get myself that burette (thanks for the link)...I feel a water droplet session coming on...

birdied wrote:
James, thank you so very much! I agree that the 60mm is one very sharp lens. It has spoiled me as I find I compare my other lens to it!

I do have a lot of fun with the drops. I don't have any fancy electronic gizmos. Most of the shots on my web site were done with a plastic zip lock bag hung from my kitchen cabinet door. I simply poke a hoe in the bag with a pin.

I recently purchased a burette from on line science supply company , so this shot was with the burette

http://www.onlinesciencemall.com/acrylic-plastic-burette-buret-50ml-calibrated.html

There is a bit
...Show more

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:00 PM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Oh so beautiful Roberta....bravo,well done!

Carolyn

Feb 21, 2012 at 02:13 PM
Pete A
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

Birdie, I'm sure you are going to do very well this week as it is such a terrific image.

Feb 22, 2012 at 06:45 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #489 Reflections of the Daisies

lovely job Roberta

Feb 23, 2012 at 03:39 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.