1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

BIGSKY55

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

Fred Miranda wrote:
Update:
I shaved the edges of the Lee FK holder (It now looks more rounded). Now I don't get any vignetting when turning the holder. I also got a couple more mm free vignetting when shifting. I'm using the same custom holder with all my other landscape lenses (24TSE and 85TSE)
Fred

I was wondering what edges of the holder did you shave?

Mar 09, 2012 at 10:03 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

Mike K wrote:
Andy,
Where you report 6-7mm shift available w/o vignetting , this is shift parallel to the direction of the filter holder slots? How much shift is available orthogonal to the direction of the filter holder slots?

Mike K

Mike - sorry for the delay in answering the Q.
With just one spacer (enough to hold the 3.0 OD filter, for example) it is the ring that becomes visible at the limit (i.e in the corners) At that same point, a second spacer to hold a second filter, the spacer/slotmaker begins to show up sooner. These are all with the slots either parallel or at right angles to the ground plane. For example, with vertical slots, holding a polarizer 4x4 and GND, needing two slots, there's not much shift sideways in landscape mode, but you could shift up or down. I see this as a nice ability to use filters but getting shifts and filters together is quite limited.

Mar 09, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

How much would it cost if I outsource the job (Fred Miranda's rig) ? :-)

Mar 11, 2012 at 05:04 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

These tips and tricks threads should be made sticky, way more useful than those argumentative threads that always float to the top.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

the price for this is pretty steep, but i wonder if it would fit the 17TSE
https://www.thecamerastore.com/products/lee/lee-sw150-filter-holder

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

khurram1 wrote:
the price for this is pretty steep, but i wonder if it would fit the 17TSE
https://www.thecamerastore.com/products/lee/lee-sw150-filter-holder

The SW 150 clamps in front of and behind the fixed hood of the 14-24 lens. Lee was asked many times during the development of this holder and they replied that it was not (yet??) in their plans to modify the holder to fit the Canon 17 TSE (which doesn't have any hood). Note that it uses 150mm (6") wide filters.

Mar 13, 2012 at 03:27 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

Very nice setup Fred! I have a similar filter holder I made for my 16-35 f/2.8 II. A friend came up with the idea a few years ago and showed me how to do it. Same idea, cut out the inner ring of an 82mm WA adapter with a dremmel tool, epoxy it to a spare lens hood (mounted backwards). Allows the use of a normal (slim) polarizer with no vignetting, and is very fast to put on/off in the field. This same design will also work nicely with the 17-40L.

This is the 16-35 II with a Hoya HD slim polarizer mounted. I will usually set the polarizer first then clip on the adapter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/sheldonnalos/IMG_0156.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/sheldonnalos/IMG_0155.jpg

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

I am sending this out to a shop to get a custom made holder a la Fred M. Just need to know one thing: what is the distance from the rim of the lens to the outermost point of the bulbous element?

Mar 19, 2012 at 01:38 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
I am sending this out to a shop to get a custom made holder a la Fred M. Just need to know one thing: what is the distance from the rim of the lens to the outermost point of the bulbous element?

You can measure the lens cap to get the number, can't you?

Mar 19, 2012 at 05:57 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

n0b0 wrote:
You can measure the lens cap to get the number, can't you?

Yes, but I wanted to know if there are officially published dimensions. I couldn't find it via a quick Google search.

Mar 19, 2012 at 06:03 PM
Brad K
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

Fred,

I missed this until I saw the link (from a few days ago) in the Zeiss 15 thread. Just wanted to say thanks for posting this procedure. I'm always interested in ways to adapt filters to lenses that weren't originally designed to accept them.

Brad

Mar 21, 2012 at 01:15 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

Mike K wrote:
Fred,
Limited success with this approach:
http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/Utility/17TSE-lens-hood-adaptor/15776282_tWQXNF#!i=1183734374&k=bY6fW

For CP use one could use the Lee 4x4" CP filter.
It appears that limited horizontal shift with a vertically aligned filter (or vice versa) is limiting.

I too have seen a few other adaptations with cutting up an extra cap. Its obvious that the reason there is no hood for this lens is that it would really have to be huge to clear possible tilts and shift movements.
Mike K

Hi Mike: I see you linked my conversion. I have used it for a long time now, and have some observations.

If I could start over, I would use a lens cap because my rig will change the focus if bumped. It can be dealt with but does slow you down especially when tilting for near and refocusing for far. The 17TSE produces stunning results when perfectly focused and disappointing when not.

I have the Lee hood and a 105mm BW filter. I can use on the 17 but get vignetting, Since many UWA shots need a pano crop anyway, its easy to eliminate. But I have not been happy with the uneven sky even when the polarizing effect is backed off. I just don't use it now below 35mm.

This lens needs a hood, flare that I never saw has ruined many pictures.

I have noticed I get sharper images when I use no filters. I am not sure if its misfocus or some sort of interaction between the flat front filter and the bulbous lens. The issue is strange. I can get very sharp foreground and infinity but soft sides.

This has been hard to repeat and could be just critical focus. I do note that the sides go soft faster than elsewhere when focus is off.

Edit, I found this post while searching for a manufactured adapter. I see that lee has one for the Nikon 14-24, why not the Canon 17TSE? I wonder why somebody like RRS has not made one? Maybe I will email them. I already have a home made adapter and would like one made in a machine shop.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:06 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

Roland W wrote:
The extra 7 mm of diameter should in theory give about an additional 2.5 mm of available shift before problems show up, so consider that as you decide how to proceed.

Removing the adapter from the modified lens cap after it has been bonded on could be anything from easy to very hard, depending on how clean the surfaces were when you bonded it, and how much epoxy is actually holding things together. If it is "very easy", you probably do not want to use it that way in the field, so you might try flexing it and pulling
...Show more

Or just leave it in the camera bag a year as I did with mine and the 2 part epoxy failed and the ring fell off in the bag.

My next attempt will be with a lens cap. You really need this adaptor. I was at Capitol Reef and absolutely needed a 17mm lens and a ND grad. But when I reached for the home made adaptor, I found the epoxy had failed. Next version will be with a lens cap, but I would like to find a machine shop to do it right and maybe attache the ring with screws.

I hardly ever need tilt with this lens, but often want shift. Vignetting is often solved by a crop as this wide angle is usually better in a pano crop..

May 01, 2012 at 12:53 PM
teuchter

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

Fred, can you now post a couple of pictures showing the trimming of the Lee holder and the modified ring? Thanks.

May 03, 2012 at 09:46 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

teuchter wrote:
Fred, can you now post a couple of pictures showing the trimming of the Lee holder and the modified ring? Thanks.

I recently posted a picture showing the set-up here:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1106753/1#10574554
Best,
Fred

May 03, 2012 at 12:12 PM
LizzieShepherd
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

Fred
Have you tried using a really strong ND filter with this set-up? I have on occasion used the Lee Big Stopper with my 17TSE and a filter holder made up of a bit of ventilation ducting and the Lee tandem adapter. I chose the tandem adapter as it had a larger aperture (84mm) than any of the lens adapter rings (I did this ages ago before seeing your post about modifying the 82mm one). However, I invariably get a bit of flare - I'm guessing through light leakage or internal reflections. Spraying the inside black may help with the latter, plus I'm not sure that the tandem adapter gives as tight a seal as a lens ring adapter...
It would be interesting to know if anyone's had success with such strong filtration with this lens.
Thanks, Lizzie

May 04, 2012 at 12:01 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

We really should make this thread sticky... And as we accumulate more useful threads like this one, maybe have a sub-forum for all the tips and tricks.

May 04, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

LizzieShepherd wrote:
Fred
Have you tried using a really strong ND filter with this set-up? I have on occasion used the Lee Big Stopper with my 17TSE and a filter holder made up of a bit of ventilation ducting and the Lee tandem adapter. I chose the tandem adapter as it had a larger aperture (84mm) than any of the lens adapter rings (I did this ages ago before seeing your post about modifying the 82mm one). However, I invariably get a bit of flare - I'm guessing through light leakage or internal reflections. Spraying the inside black may help with the latter,
...Show more

Hi Lizzie,
I have struggled with this as well.
First remember that the 82mm Lee adapter is a wide angle type ring and will give you more clearance that a non-WA larger diameter rings.
Regarding flare: This lens is a little prone to flare, especially when the sun is at around 180 degrees. You will see the flare on the LCD and it's easy to place your hand or a cardboard to block the light from either sides. However, I believe you are referring to flare caused by long exposure light leakage.
The 17mm TS-E lens cap is not 100% sealed when attached. One may not notice that when using the original lens cap but once opened to create this adapter you will see that it lets a very small amount of light come through its back.
With exposures up to 5 seconds, it won't be an issue but once you start using 6 or 10-stop ND filters and therefore longer exposures, it could be a problem. The solution I found most convenient is to use a head band or rubber band and wrap around the back of the adapter. That will block light 100% and I have tested it with 30 second exposures without seeing any light leakage on my pictures.
Fred

May 04, 2012 at 08:46 PM
LizzieShepherd
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

Thanks Fred
Yes I have both the w/a and standard 82mm rings and there's a huge difference. I'll need to buy another of the w/a ones if I want to try and replicate your holder - I do remember someone doing something similar a couple of years back but I resented the fact that a spare hood costs best part of £50 here if I recall and so I thought I'd do my own thing. I need to do some more work on it to see if I can get it more light tight, though I think I did try with a band at one point.
For normal flare problems I have a big bit of cardboard in my camera bag - easier to hold in the right place than my hand!
Anyway, more experimenting required but good to know it can be done. Below is an example from a couple of years ago - 95 sec exposure - only two relatively small problem areas here and quite easy to clone out in this instance, but not always the case! There was a reasonable amount of shift here too though I'm afraid I forget how much...
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7231/6999528558_3e1aa7c4ab_b.jpg
Thanks again, Lizzie

May 05, 2012 at 12:52 PM
sivaveera

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E Custom Filter Adapter

I have made a filter holder using the cap and a step down filter ring where you can screw in 82mm filters. I used Sing Ray Gold N Blue and Vari Nd Filter.

re=g-upl

Added a second video on how to make a filter holder using the TS-E 17mm lens cap and the Lee Foundation Filter Holder

re=youtu.be

The Lee foundation filter did not have any vignetting at full Tilt and very feeble with 12mm shift...

Note: For the wide angle adapter I cracked the front rim and removed the extra lip. I almost got extra 12 mm clearance.

May 08, 2012 at 10:55 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.