WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · #466 Green & Green

ckeilah
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · #466 Green & Green

I finally got around to shooting this today, which I've had in mind for a while now. What do y'all think of this?

Sep 11, 2011 at 03:00 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · #466 Green & Green

This is very creative, but I have to say I like your most recent previous one best.

Sep 11, 2011 at 07:48 PM
ckeilah
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · #466 Green & Green

Thanks mark! I had come to the conclusion that the green & green was stronger, but my love of Magritte makes me want to hang "a pink parasol" on my wall! ;-). I'm going with the better photograph now.

Sep 11, 2011 at 08:46 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · #466 Green & Green

mark fadely wrote:
This is very creative, but I have to say I like your most recent previous one best.

I fully agree.

I also want to say that I admire your ability to find/create so many images for one theme.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 12, 2011 at 02:33 AM
ckeilah
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · #466 Green & Green

Thanks Yakim! I'm on a mission to finally become a GOOD photographer, maybe even make some "art" that people might even want to hang on their walls or, ... *gasp*... buy. I know, I know... I'm a delusional nut! But, isn't that a prerequisite for being "an artist"?! ;-P

Sep 12, 2011 at 09:24 AM
ramorak
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · #466 Green & Green

Just to second what Yakim said, I am impressed with how many variations you have come up with for the theme, most of which are quite different from any other entries (and certainly better than any ideas I have had).

Such creative thinking will definitely land you a win sooner or later!

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:22 PM
Hightraxx
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · #466 Green & Green

I like the shot but think a smaller crop would be better, nice find.

Norm

Sep 12, 2011 at 02:38 PM
ckeilah
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · #466 Green & Green

Thanks for the input Norm! I chose this crop to precisely fit the spiral into a "rule of thirds" box. I had tried a few other crops by eye, but decided to try psychological math and realized that it actually looked best, at least to my eye during editing, this way. I wonder if a 4 in 9 crop is what you had in mind... I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Edit: nope. That crop won't work with the data I have. I like the big field of dark green bokeh anyway. ;-). Thanks for pushing me to keep thinking about these things!

Sep 12, 2011 at 02:57 PM
ckeilah
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · #466 Green & Green

Thanks for the praise, everyone! I'm pleased to have created some images that y'all like. :-D I hope I can consistently get even better over the coming weeks.

I saw a huge Rainbow Coalition flag today and thought we ought to have a weekly topic "GAY"! (interpret as thou wilt ;-)

Sep 12, 2011 at 04:40 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · #466 Green & Green

I like the orange peel but I would have cropped in tighter to eliminate as much of the box as possible but the image posted fits well with the WA.

Sep 12, 2011 at 08:10 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · #466 Green & Green

ckeilah wrote:
Thanks Yakim! I'm on a mission to finally become a GOOD photographer, maybe even make some "art" that people might even want to hang on their walls or, ... *gasp*... buy. I know, I know... I'm a delusional nut! But, isn't that a prerequisite for being "an artist"?! ;-P

Yep. Just remember Vincent. Seriously, just have faith in yourself and never give up.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 13, 2011 at 04:29 AM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · #466 Green & Green

I think the negative space use, make this a very lovely shot.

Sep 13, 2011 at 07:21 AM
ckeilah
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · #466 Green & Green

Thanks y'all! OregonGal, I think I understand where you're coming from.

Just for fun, I'll try to explain where I was coming from re. "a pink parasol" (i.e. the orange peel in a blue box). Ever since I saw a Magritte exhibit when I was about 10 years old I have been a big Magritte fan. I can't find the paintings that I remember seeing in that exhibit, but if you go to Google's Images search and punch in "magritte" you'll get a feel for what I'm trying to create with my photograph. (e.g.: see "ceci n'est pas un pipe" and http://www.robertsivard.com/Resources/magritte350dpi01a.jpeg ) If you look very closely, you may even notice that the "blue box" is fabricated in post! - I do not own a box like that. The subject is then a layer imposed over that artifice, which I hope gives it a "floating separate from" feeling. I wanted it to look "real" but feel surreal, if that makes any sense. My one regret for that photo is that I didn't shoot two shots of the peel, one with the round bit in focus, as shown; and one with the main peel in crystal clear focus. I would have then composited those together to enhance my desired effect of surrealism by having three disparate focal planes (there are two now, as the whole box is within the DOF). Oh well, live & learn.

I'm probably going overboard in explaining myself, but since this is essentially a photography class I figure it's appropriate that I do so. One of my best friends always says, "trust the art, not the artist," so if my art isn't saying all of the above, I failed again. ;-P

Sep 13, 2011 at 09:28 AM
mlenny
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · #466 Green & Green

Like both images, great natural find

Sep 13, 2011 at 09:48 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · #466 Green & Green

Your most recent image is the most creative. Excellent use of negative space!

Sep 14, 2011 at 04:23 PM
ckeilah
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · #466 Green & Green

Thanks AutiPode! Are you referring to the one I submitted (Green & Green) or to my most recent shot (a pink parasol) of the orange in the blue box? I'm guessing the green spiral amid the dark green bokeh. A quilter is going to use that photo as a basis for a new pattern, so I guess I got something right! ;-)

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:01 AM
       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password