about | support
home
 


  Reviews by: pioneer77  

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pioneer77 to your Buddy List
Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D)

rebel_xt
Review Date: Jan 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.00 | Rating: 10 

 
Pros: Great camera, great image quality!
Cons:
No negatives other than missing features because it's entry level. All the essentials are there though.

More sturdy than some camera snobs would lead you to believe... same metal chassis as other models. Ergonomics can take a bit to get used to, but make sure to add the battery grip... I can use mine comfortably with the 70-200 2.8 IS lens with the battery grip on it. Makes a big difference. But, if you ever want to go smaller, you can... which can't be said for other model cameras.

 
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di Zoom AF

28-75mm
Review Date: Aug 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $359.00 | Rating: 9 

 
Pros: Sharpness, build, color, contrast, and especially overall value.
Cons:
Slight front focus wide open at f/2.8, but not very much.

I use this lens on my Rebel XT (350D) and it's a great lens overall. Balances really well with the XT and the BG-E3 battery grip attached.

The lens does have a very slight front focus on a close object when it's wide open at f/2.8, but I don't really notice it in 99%+ of the shots I take and the other 1% could easily be user error. Smile

The build on this lens is great... nice and heavy, built like a tank. Zoom gets a little quick after some use, but there is a zoom lock switch that is really handy to help out with that.

Bottom line, this lens is great for the money. Very sharp photos. It's a shame that it starts at 28mm... not wide enough sometimes, but I can't count that as a negative since it's a design specification, not a flaw of the lens itself. I consider the lens worth the results even though it's not wide enough and not long enough in its reach.