about | support
home
 


  Reviews by: jonny427  

View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jonny427 to your Buddy List
Sigma Electronic Flash EF 500 DG Super

EF_500_DG_Super_Flash
Review Date: Oct 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $180.00 | Rating: 9 

 
Pros: Tons of features, LCD screen, built in diffuser, and it gives off tons of light.
Cons:
Big bulky and feels kinda flimsy. Build quality nowhere near as good as canon's speedlights. Menu is not well laid out, but easily learned.

For 180 dollars, you get about 85% of a 580EX. 85% of the features for 50% of the price was incentive enough to buy this. So far, it hasn't let me down at all. It gives off tons of light and 95% of my pictures come out with perfect exposure (the other 5% tends to be my fault). The LCD is really useful as it displays all vital information at a glance.

There are a few downsides though. First, its big and clunky. Bigger than the 420EX for sure, but i'm not sure vs. the 580. It feels kinda flimsy (especially the battery door). The head has a bit of wobble to it. However, when it clips onto my camera and feels rock solid. The motor is noisy and has locked up on me once.

But... its 180 bucks!! I am perfectly happy sacrificing a bit of build quality to pay this much. With the extra money, I got myself a 50mm Mk I lens Smile

All in all, this flash gives you a lot of bang (and light) for your buck. Highly recommended 1st hotshoe flash. You pros already use the 580EX, so this means nothing to you Smile


 
Canon Deluxe Backpack 200 EG

46512canon_200EG_1_
Review Date: Oct 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $35.00 | Rating: 9 

 
Pros: Big roomy interior swallows up most lenses under 200mm. Adjustable compartaments that actualy stay in place when adjusted
Cons:
Zipper can open too easily. Shoulder straps not too ergonomic.

This has to be the best bag under 100 bucks. And who would of thought that Canon would be the brand to do it (when I think Canon, I see lots of benjamins lol)? It is big, roomy, and has tons of comparaments for your lenses. A big plus is that not only is it adjustable, but the dividers actually stay in place under the weight of my lenses.

The only downsides are that it has a big fat "CANON" logo front and center (which I quickly removed using pliers, see below reviews for DIY tips) and that its shoulder straps aren't too ergonomic. However, for 40 bucks I'm not expecting to get the quality of a $150 Lowepro backpack.

All in all, this is a must-have for any amateur or semi-pro looking for a cheap, well-built, and roomy pack to hold all their stuff. Highly recommended.