about | support
home
 


  Reviews by: FryingPan  

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add FryingPan to your Buddy List
Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor

1902NCP_180
Review Date: Mar 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $269.99 | Rating: 10 

 
Pros: Fast, sharp, compact, lightweight.
Cons:
It makes the rest of my lenses feel inadequate.

After owning this lens for over a year now, I feel like I can finally write an appropriate review.

This lens is on my camera almost 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, I'm feeling like my other glass just isn't as fun to shoot with. It's my absolute favorite by far. The bokeh is outstanding, the images produced are razor sharp, and the versatility of the wide open f/1.4 aperture is incredible. The 50mm (75mm on a digital body) focal length is narrow enough to force good composition, but wide enough to not be restrictive.

I shoot everything from portraits, landscapes, macros (coupled with extension tubes) candids, etc with this lens. It truly does it all.

Using this lens on a digital body makes for the ultimate available light photography combo.

I truly love this lens, and highly recommend it to anyone.


 
Tokina 24-200mm AT-X 242 AF

8232atx242af
Review Date: Mar 20, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $369.99 | Rating: 5 

 
Pros: Great zoom range, built like a tank, compact size.
Cons:
Soft, soft, soft, soft. Clunky AF, heavy like a tank, noisy AF.

I purchased this lens from B&H about a year and a half ago, when I had just begun to delve into photography. At the time, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. A long zoom and a wide angle all in one, what more could you want?

Well, as my skills and knowledge began to develop, I started noticing things that were leaning more towards the negative:

Images were often soft at anything less than f/11
Washed out color in bright light
Slow and noisy AF
Heavy, heavy, heavy.
Fringing GALORE.

To top it all off- I can no longer adjust focus manually as the mechanism seems to be stuck or jammed. The lens still autofocuses just fine (slow, but fine.)

This lens has sat on a shelf in my office more than anything and is the single greatest source of buyer's remorse I have ever experienced.

For the uninitiated, it'll do everything they want to do, but for anybody else, look elsewhere.