Sigma 17-35mm f2.8-4 EX Aspherical

23 156188 Aug 30, 2013
5.1
17_35f2_8_4EX_1_

Sigma's 17-35mm f2.8-4 EX is one of the EX Series lenses. It combines a fast f2.8-4 maximum aperture with ultra wide angle zoom lens of 17-35mm. It incorporates aspherical lens elements in the front, as well as rear lens groups, to correct spherical aberration. It also incorporates internal focusing to prevent deterioration of the optical quality at close distances and to eliminate rotation of the front barrel during focusing. A "perfect hood" is provided. The AF drive for Sigma SA and Canon AF S.L.R. cameras is equipped with a silent, responsive and fast Micro Hyper Sonic Motor (H.S.M.). The lens materials used in this new lens are lead and arsenic free ecological glass.

Page:  1 · 2  next

peterlee01

Registered: Aug 30, 2013
Review Date: Aug 30, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: good price well built and on my D300 it pin sharp. not sure what problems others are having? yes the contrast does need at tweak but I would expect that at 17mm for a sub £1000 lens!
Cons:
it not f2,8 through out apart from that a great lens on the right body

Great lens for the price only shame is its not f2.8 through out it zoom range.

I used it on my Kodak DCS Pros(Full Frame) and on D300 and D2X (In cropped mode) and all are perfect at A4 print size.

Contrast does need a boost but at this price I would expect so.

I have several Sigma EX lens and none of them have disappointed, if you are comparing them to a top end Nikon or Canon L series at triple the price then yes you may be disappointed.

17mm - 35mm f8 excellent 17mm f2.8 very good 35mm f4 very good.

I would have been happy paying £250 for it.

Aug 30, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add peterlee01 to your Buddy List
Coach-Z

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Jul 12, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: $125.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: cheap
Cons:
Soft... REALLY soft

I bought this lens to replace my Canon 18-55mm IS lens thinking it would be a Sigma equivalent to the Canon 16-35mm lens..

I bought it used without actually doing any background search for the lens...

This is the softest lens I've ever owned, by far...

Jul 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Coach-Z to your Buddy List
RudydG

Registered: Oct 7, 2003
Review Date: Nov 16, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: hsm, price, range on FF, lightweight
Cons:
Soft!! Vignetting

Just had this lens to test it out. It could get it real cheap. Well, i don't want it, even for free!! It is incredible soft until f:8, vignetting on 5d is huge.
Maybe it is better on 1.6 crop, and for a low price it is maybe then acceptable?
I also used the 15-30 ex dg, and that lens is really 10x better!
I heard the 17-35 2.8-4.0 ex hsm DG version is better, but i would not buy without proper testing!

Nov 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RudydG to your Buddy List
Bjorn Beheydt

Registered: Mar 22, 2007
Review Date: Mar 22, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: Price
Cons:
Complete lack of sharpness, CA

I bought this lens the afternoon before I had an important evening shoot (I know, a stupid thing to do). I actually wanted to buy Canon's 17-40 f4L, but that one was not in stock. This was the only available alternative for my Eos 5D, so I decided to give it a try.
I used it plenty during the evening, having taken approximately 200 photo's with it, some with available light (at f2.8), but most of them with flash (f4 and f8).
The results where tearjerking, and I am not joking. I thanked the Lord for giving me the presence of mind to also take pictures with my 50mm f1.8 and my 70-200 f2.8 IS.
They day after, I decided to take the lens out for some serious testing. I used it all focal lengths, and all apertures up to f11 (I decided I don't have to test it at f22, as I will seldom use it), with and without flash. The results still was terrible. In total I shot about 300 pictures with it, and if 5 of them are sharp enough to show to a customer, I would be glad.
My advice: test this thing thoroughly before you buy it!

Mar 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bjorn Beheydt to your Buddy List
marty01_uk

Registered: Aug 15, 2006
Review Date: Aug 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: It was cheap(119 gbp) quite well built (not as good as l glass) and it also works on full frame cameras....
Cons:
Its soft at f2.8 but i shoot mainly weddings and the odd alnscape when i go walking, so its no big deal to me

I read the reviews here and thought it was sigmas usual quality control problems .....
My lens seems fine quiet motor fast acurate focusing (eos 3)
and it feels sturdy....
I got it for a pitance with the new dg version out so i thought i'd give it a try.....
Like everyone else i've found it's very soft at f 2.8 but i only need the large apature for my wedding work soft the softness helps there anyway...f5.6 and above and its very sharp a lovely lense...
I've stopped taking my l glass walking with me now as the wide angles shots are virtually indistinguishable from the sigma.....

I must admit though i seem to lose some contrast when used with my eos 5d but i might invest in the dg version considering the results achieved off this one...

Aug 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add marty01_uk to your Buddy List
jamesdodd

Registered: Aug 15, 2006
Review Date: Aug 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: cheap, well built, wide FOV, wide aperture, light
Cons:
a liitle soft, slow auto focus (faster than non-USM tho...), 82mm thread

This was pretty much the first lens I purchased. Its the non DG version and I beleive that at some point it has been rechipped (I got it second hand).

Its cheap price, wide nature and wide aperture was the main reason why I went for it.

I occasionaly use it for portraiture, and the bokeh it produces is great.

Autofocus could be better, just hunts a little in low light, but its nothing to write home about Wink

It is a little soft when wide open but I shoot in RAW and this doesn't bother me and I no longer notice.

There is some slight vignetting when used on a full frame camera (1ds, 5d and film).

The 82mm filter thread is a tad annoying, but I use cokin so it doesn't matter much. I picked up a UV filter on the net cheap for £5...

you can see a selection of my shots taken with this lens here:

Aug 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jamesdodd to your Buddy List
soren

Registered: Apr 7, 2002
Review Date: Oct 31, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 1

Pros: Great range for digital cameras with crop factors.... That is it.
Cons:
Breaks easily, not sharp, noisy auto focus.

This is the only complete DUD lens I have ever purchased. I actually sent it back and got another and there was no improvement. I used it verry little hoping I could figure out some sort of sweet spot, but I never managed to, maybe because it broke and was repaired, and then broke again... I am a Sigma fan, and I am lucky I didn't get soured on them from using this lens.

Oct 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add soren to your Buddy List
rojo-uk

Registered: Aug 28, 2003
Review Date: Jun 3, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: Well built, Nice Finish, Fair Price (270 GBP). Comes with Petal Hood and Case as Standard.
Cons:
Poor Focusing, on my sample. Soft images, at all Apertures.

I’ve just returned my 17-35mm f2.8 EX of 10 days for a full refund, why? Like most of the reviewer’s have stated, “it’s just too soft”. The version I had wouldn’t focus all that good either, only on the best of days, weather wise, would it produce half decent results, even then, I expected better. Perhaps this was just a poor sample

I was offered the 17-35mm f2.8 DG version be way of a replacement. The focusing was way better and the images were much sharper, but in the end I went for the Sigma 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 EX Aspherical DG instead.

My only advice to anyone thinking of buying this lens is to try-before-you-buy.
If your store won’t allow you too, take your digital storage card and shoot several images, in store, using all the lenses you have short listed. Go back home, study the results and only then go back and make your purchase.

Jun 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rojo-uk to your Buddy List
microsaft

Registered: Mar 22, 2005
Review Date: Mar 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $620.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Just want a heads up. There is a DG version of this lens out now, but that one isn't listed here... so what you read could be either... ???
Cons:
see above

add a topic for the DG forum aswell and we can start to compare apples and oranges...

Mar 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add microsaft to your Buddy List
doctorit

Registered: Jan 17, 2005
Review Date: Feb 25, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: great build quality at this price range
Cons:
too soft

I jumped at the chance to have an f/2.8 lens at 17mm, but it's just too soft at wide apertures. I did some back to back comparison at 28mm with my Canon 28-135 IS lens, and the non-L Canon lens was sharper. Not too happy about that.

I have had good luck with all Sigma lenses, except this one. Maybe this copy just isn't that sharp, but from what I've read, maybe not. Right now, I think I'll save some $ and switch to the Canon 17-40L f/4.

Feb 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add doctorit to your Buddy List
imager1

Registered: Sep 24, 2003
Review Date: Oct 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Cost, lightweight, decent build quaility, fast 2.8 aperature (at 17mm),
Cons:
Zoom ring turns the opposite of Canon's (not a big deal), AF can be jumpy in low light situations

A fair number of users on this forum gave thumbs down to this lens with the exception of the poster before me. I spotted this lens in a local shop and the store manager indicated if I didn't like it, I could return it within seven days. Fair enough.

Personally, I think it's a good lens. I have not experienced some of the problems other posters have indicated. I have seen very little if any evidence of softness at any F-stop. Images right out of the camera, even those shot without a strobe and in the shade have good contrast.

It has a lightweight build and although it's not built as well as a Canon L series, it costs half and performs reasonable well. Overall, I am pleased with it.

Oct 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add imager1 to your Buddy List
masterfrodo

Registered: Jun 27, 2004
Review Date: Jun 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I have used this lens for the past year and have been very impressed. I use the lens with a Fuji S2 so I use the central section but have had enlargements made up to 20"x14" and am very happy with the results. I use the lens mostly for press work and have had no problems with sharpness at any aperture. Maybe I have a good lens as most people on here don't give it a good review.
Cons:
None. Given the price, there is nothing out there to touch it. OK, you could spend a lot more and get a Nikkor lens and get a 'little' more crispness but in my line of work I doubt I would notice it.

Jun 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add masterfrodo to your Buddy List
craiu

Registered: Jan 1, 2003
Location: Romania
Review Date: Apr 18, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Cheap, rather solid and has the f2.8@17mm
Cons:
Soft, poor contrast, bad colours, severe vignetting and lots of purple fringing

This is a peculiar case of zoom - it performs OK (but not terrific) on film but is bad in almost every aspect when used on a digital body. Not sure if this is due to the light hitting the image sensor at low angle or because of some other reasons, the truth is that 17-35 doesn't go well with the Canon 10D, D30, D60 not to mention the elders, 1D or 1Ds.
The filter size is 82mm, which is rather unusual and the front element is rather "bulby" making the usage of filters (such as a polarizer or gradual ND) an adventurous business.
Wide open the lens exhibits severe vignetting which doesn't seem to go even at f8 or f11. Soft all over at f2.8, it gets better after 5.6 but no matter the aperture the corners will stay soft up to f16.
Eventually I ended up selling this and buying the 17-40/4L, which is a jewel from every point of view. If you're thinking of buying it to go with a digital body, I'd suggest to save up for a 17-40/4L or get one of the dedicated Nikon DG wide angles.

Apr 18, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add craiu to your Buddy List
MarcL

Registered: Mar 4, 2002
Review Date: Sep 19, 2003 Recommend? no | Price paid: $425.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: cost
Cons:
slow and unpredictable AF, noisy, somewhat soft, slight underexposure

I bought this lens with my D30. I didn't really use it all that much except at F8 and above because of it tends to be a little soft when opened wide. A couple of months ago, the aperature diaphragm quick working all together, which I understand is a fairly common problem w/Sigmas. I'll have it repaired, but then it's going on Ebay. I bought the Canon 17-40 F4L to replace it.

If it weren't for the aperature diaphragm problem after so little use, I'd say this lens is a pretty decent bargain overall, but now I wonder.

Sep 19, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MarcL to your Buddy List
FredericB

Registered: Jul 22, 2003
Review Date: Aug 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Cost, Focal Range, Sharpness when stopped down(at least 2 to 3 stops)
Cons:
very soft at 17mm and / or if not stopped down, HSM noisy and threatening to die after 4 years of use (not intense)

I would recommend it but under some restrictions:

*use it w/ manual focus and a table of hyperfocal distenses for as mentionned above, AF is unprecise and unpredictable (pre-focus on the same spot 3 times and you'll get 3 different distances) and does not seem to last too long.

*not fit for reporting for it takes at least 2 to 3 stops down to express its potential for sharpness - if you use it for landscape at F:11 or 16 it is a great lens.

It seems that digital brings the worst out of it when it is really decent on film at f:5.6 or up.

Aug 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FredericB to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Jul 14, 2003 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 2

Pros: Focal range. Construction seemed nice.
Cons:
Image quality. Total absence of sharpness. Heavy chromatic aberation.

I had bought this lens with my Canon 10D and a Sigma 28-70 2.8 EX DF. During the first week, I was wondering why about half of my pictures were lacking sharpness. I'm not talking about focus which was perfect. I'm talking about sharpness.

After I found out that the bad images were always coming from the 17-35, I decided to test both lenses. I took the same shot with both lenses at every single focal lenght marking and aperture combination. The 17-35 was unsharp all over the place. Not a single focal lenght-aperture combination produced decent results.

When I saw the results, I checked for reviews and found photozone.com where the 17-35 is rated pretty low. I found other reviews and comments that stated that this is probably Sigma's worst lens.

I wrapped it up and returned it.

Jul 14, 2003