Canon EOS 1Ds

IEEE1394 (Firewire) interface

threemilesfina

Registered: Oct 29, 2011
Review Date: Mar 17, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: IQ, Build, Viewfinder, AF
Cons:
sloooooooow, small buffer, max ISO1250

Upgraded to my 1Ds from a Rebel XSi. Being as I am normally an Aviation Shooter, I needed something with a better AF system but also desired a full frame sensor so it ruled out the 5D. Picked my 1Ds up with about 30,000 clicks on it and I have been impressed with the quality of images.

It's a tank that keeps on going! If I upgrade, it's going to have to be another 1-series... but it would be tough for me to sell this one as others have mentioned, it's got something "special" about it.

Mar 17, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add threemilesfina to your Buddy List
fosofos

Registered: Jul 15, 2005
Review Date: Mar 5, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $575.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: color rendering, build and overall value
Cons:
none.

This camera is famous for the way is renders color--a great studio camera, and a brilliant choice for fine art photography.

Makes no sense to criticize this camera for features it lacks since there are other cameras for shooters who need a higher frame rate.

The used copy I bought has less than 32K actuations, does not have a mark on it, and after a sensor cleaning, it is like new.

It's a keeper they will have to pry from my cold, dead fingers.

Mar 5, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fosofos to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Feb 26, 2012 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Super large pixels make for really great images, very bright viewfinder and built to last.
Cons:
Poor lcd, poor write speeds and can be hard to connect to a computer fire the firewire connection.

This a second review of the 1Ds from me. Most of the operating aspects of this camera are a PITA but there is no doubt about the IQ. Going back over my old hard drives just lately saw me selecting images that I had not worked on first time around and the ones that jumped off of the page so to speak were either shot on the 5D mk1 or the 1Ds. says it all really. Don`t get me wrong, the later 1 series cameras and the 5D2 are great cameras in their own right and are in general the cameras of choice for most shoots but when time is not limited and you want to get back to using your skills rather than letting the machine gun do it for you then the 1ds is a superb choice. They are built to last and that viewfinder is to die for. I use a lot of MF lenses and with a split image screen in place focusing is a breeze. It`s just so easy to be herded along with the new cameras as they come out but like most things you don`t realise what you have till you loose it. People have said that you can bang nails in fence posts with the 1 series cameras but I reckon you can bang the posts in the ground as well.
So, basing my score now nearly ten years down the line and having owned all the ds cameras I would definitely jump my score up at least 1 point to 9, IQ alone it really does deserve a 10 but the interface and things like the lcd and buffer holds it back a touch.
The bottom line is! if you fancy a FF camera thats built like a tank and can compete with the best but don`t mind a slower mind set then grab yourself something that`s selling for almost 1/10th it`s original price.

Feb 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
beeber00

Registered: Jul 21, 2008
Review Date: Dec 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, IQ, bla bla bla..
Cons:
Only problem - o n l y p r o b l e m - buffer speed (how fast pictures go onto the memory card).

Hot-dog.

Ive owned the 1d, 1d2, 1d3, 1ds and 1ds2. As you may have guessed, I love how well these cameras are made and how they operate. Some may say the menus are confusing or hard to understand.

We just tell those people to switch to Nikon if words confuse them.

Hey, I'm Canon, what do you expect?

If you put images side-by-side taken with various cameras, I could point out the 1ds shots. To me, they look different than the 1ds2 - dare I say better? You'd think that the next camera in the line-up would be better at everything. Well, having owned both cameras, I would say the 1ds1 has better pictures. How else can you explain that

The Great Fred Miranda himself uses one? That doodz prolly got every camera maker throwing gear at him hoping he'll use it and get it popular, but he still uses the 1ds. Why? Because the pictures that come out of it are that damn good.

Heres why I sold mine - I can't stand how long it takes to buffer the photos. When you take a picture, you expect it to be on the screen by the time you take your head away and look at it. Not with this camera. You have to wait a few seconds.

Now I know what some of you are thinking. "Look at this stuck-up 21st century 'I want it now' crybaby! Back in MY day we had to wait a few HOURS to see our photos! (film) and we were LUCKY!". Yea, I get it. Whats a few seconds? Well, for me, too long. Much too long. Especially if you take a few pictures (burst is 3fps max 10) Now, I understand that it took a while because of the technology available at that time. I's spoiled, leave me aloooone.

This may not be a problem for some. If you dont review your pictures after you take them til you upload, then you'll be fine. I did use this camera for a few months before I tried another body. I just needed to see what I was taking. (if youre good, you wouldnt HAVE to see your picture) yea yea I hear ya'll. Do I need it? No, but it will help.

Everything else about this camera is 10/10. ISO files look good to me. Camera is heavy for some but what youre feeling is power.

If you can wield this relic, do so. If you need an easier camera to use, you have other options.

Please consider the BUY AND SELL board on this website. Subscribe to the BUY AND SELL and support Fred Miranda for everything he's done for us.

- Beeber!! Beeber!!

Dec 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add beeber00 to your Buddy List
fusionphoto

Registered: Apr 16, 2005
Review Date: Jul 31, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ is superb. Handling, ergonomics are great. No chance of changing settings by accident. Built like a brick, good waterproofing
Cons:
Very heavy. Need good lenses. (not really a negative, only to be expected).

I have had this camera for about 12 months now and after a reasonable steep learning curve I think its a superb machine. Careful exposure for the best results is required and its not a quick camera to use and has a rather slow buffer but for my Landscape work it is second to none.

The 11MP sensor is more than enough for my purposes and give excellent print quality.

No a camera to use when speed is at a premium, as in sports, but when you have time to think this is the camera to get the shot and give great IQ to boot. AF is excellent and once yu set it up to the way you work its great. Be prepared to learn how to find your way thru the menu system which can be a little confusing at first but is soon learned.

A GREAT CAMERA...

Jul 31, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fusionphoto to your Buddy List
Galehn Photo

Registered: May 13, 2009
Review Date: Jun 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: GREAT BUILD! definitely a pro camera! Love it!
Cons:
absolutely none!

I bought this Camera in like new condition from a Navy guy who used it for cataloging missiles! He kept it completely new and it only has 5k on the shutter with documentation! I got a hell of a deal and I couldn't be happier!

Jun 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Galehn Photo to your Buddy List
Peter Shelton

Registered: Sep 7, 2006
Review Date: Mar 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Big clear viewfinder, solid focussing, wonderful colours
Cons:
None for me

Bought used from B&H (condition 9), very clean, $1600, 9,500 actuations according to Jeffrey's Exif viewer (http://regex.info/exif.cgi). A retro-upgrade to my 20D. Might have gone with a used 5D but wanted to feel/look Pro for once, even though I have a lot to learn! The 5D Mark II did not appeal to me -too much bling. I'm hoping to learn with this camera and expand my skills beyond what I have learnt over the last 4 years with the 20D and before that with the Sony F828. So far I really like the large and bright viewfinder, the quick and solid focussing and the wondeful colours and dynamic range of the captures. I shoot RAW, people, streets and landscapes. Noise and higher ISO probably won't worry me and I have lots of time so slow write speed is not an issue. I'm pretty happy and feel kind of good going retro.

Mar 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Shelton to your Buddy List
gpgt1998

Registered: Jan 21, 2005
Review Date: Jan 7, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, build quality, full frame sensor, ergonomics, stellar AF
Cons:
Batteries are pricey, slow buffer

I've been looking for a full frame digital for a while now and found one locally for $700. I bought it with 4556 shutter actuations in like new condition. It was a steal of a lifetime! The image quality is phenomenal. There's a noticeable difference between the 1Ds and 40D when viewing side by side. The AF system is stellar, producing tack sharp focus at great speed. I've used the 20D and 40D and the AF systems in these camera's were something I just didn't trust. Noise is pretty pronounced above ISO 400 but the images are usable. The 1Ds is less forgiving when it comes to exposure resulting in noise. Precise exposure control though will prevent excess noise at high ISO settings. I use my 1Ds in the for fashion in studio and outside, editorial, advertising, and fine art photography. Since buying this camera i've relegated my 40D to a backup, seeing use only when high ISO work is involved.

Jan 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gpgt1998 to your Buddy List
Manuel Barrera

Registered: Sep 28, 2006
Review Date: Dec 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great IQ, if sufficient light or use of flash is allowed, it is my camera of choice
Cons:
of all my cameras the 1Ds requires sensor cleaning more often and the buffer is slow and it is slow to start up

If there is no need for speed this is almost always my camera of choice. However, if the event is low light and use of flash is not allowed or inappropriate then it gets to stay at home. Bought the camera in 2005. For long exposure, landscape, and portrait work this is my preferred camera. I have the 5D, 1D, and 30D. I try to limit the ISO to under 400 after that you start getting noise but the camera is good up to 640 ISO.

Dec 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Manuel Barrera to your Buddy List
dimitris77

Registered: Aug 28, 2005
Review Date: Oct 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image and build quality, viewfinder, focus speed
Cons:
Weight! Noise compared to newer cameras but see comments

I have been looking around for a FF camera on the cheap. While lurking around for a used 5D and waiting for the prices to go down I have found a minty 1Ds which I bought for a price lower than used 5D's. I can surely say that I am impressed. Image quality is great and the camera is pro quality with a nice viewfinder and very good autofocus. Sure it weights a lot but it balances very well with my lenses. Noise-wise people seem to ditch this camera however I kind of like the noise since it looks very film like. Also coming from a 20D the controls where a bit difficult to figure out and file transfer speeds are slow. However if you are a amateur like me and are interested in a pro body with very good image quality the 1Ds delivers beyond everything I have seen around and at an amazingly low price.

Oct 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dimitris77 to your Buddy List
pauelv

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Review Date: Oct 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, Auto Focus, Build Quality, Full Frame Sensor
Cons:
Weight, Small LCD screen and Dust

It's "old" technology but still performs and takes pictures the way it should. The image quality is superb! It would have been perfect if the camera wasn't so heavy.

Oct 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pauelv to your Buddy List
Fusion08

Registered: Sep 12, 2008
Review Date: Sep 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Bought used off ebay. 1000 for 9580 actuation in perfect condition. What a camera if used properly, its no toy and takes great pics with careful handling and some basic skills...love the FF images, great colours and sharpness (a little soft straight out of the camera in RAW easily fixed in PS). This camera ROCKS...!!!
Cons:
Slowwwwwwwwww buffer can be annoying, Great for my landscape work.

Sep 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Fusion08 to your Buddy List
Tony Brown

Registered: Nov 14, 2007
Review Date: Jun 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,527.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: I bought mine used for 1527.00 on Ebay with less than 12K actuations. I've read all of the reviews and input from 1DS owners. I must say the IQ is exactly on que....I own the 1D and just love how is process the image and have a bigger files is even GREATER!!!
Cons:
that being said......the buffer/processor is sloooooooooooooow. by all means this is not a "wedding" camera. previous shot a wedding with a friends 5D, i have to say its better suited for that, just because its quicker. but the focusing is second to none....even better than the 1D MK III....:)

Jun 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tony Brown to your Buddy List
garysblim

Registered: Jan 27, 2005
Review Date: Jan 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 1. Full Frame! 2.Bright Viewfinder: Someone turned on the light! Wow... 3. Really nice skin tone and grain-like texture 4. Built like a tank!
Cons:
1. ok, it doesn't have 3200+ ISO but I knew that when I bought it... 2. A bit slow in writing and boot-up compared to my 20D But... it's a 5 yrs old camera so it's not really a negative I think

Having a full frame DSLR have been my dream since the day the first dslr came out (I think it was D30 or D2000?). Finally, I got my hands on a used 1Ds (mint condition) at around the same price as a 5D. Since I have a 20D, I don't care too much about the lower ISO limit. After trying out a few shots, the results really blew me away. First, I must say I was very skeptical about the noise issue over 640 which was my number 1 reservation. The results turn out to be a lot better than expected. At 1250, I think it's at par with 3200 with 20D. But 1Ds results look better due to the film-like grain. This is the subjective evaluation over objective scientific view. Then again, I think photography is an art form more than scientific review... Smile At low ISO, it's just fantastic. Viewfinder is fantastically bright and has 100% coverage which I think it's important in the digital age. Anything else it's built like a 1-series body should be. I still have a 1N and EOS 3. If you used to have one (still do), this camera will feel very familiar. Another issue that came up very often is the LCD screen which I don't find it's a major issue. I don't really care it much for review. As long as it's good enough to see the picture and the histogram, I can live with it and download the pictures later. Another good thing I find with this camera is the white balance. Perhaps it has the dedicated white balance sensor, I find it has very good and accurate balance compared to my 20D. You can also see the ISO in the viewfinder which I find other semi-pro bodies don't have. It may be a small thing but I find it very useful. Also the fact that you can change file size and white balance with the two buttons at the back is a bonus. At least for me, I have no regret in choosing this over 5D. I highly recommend this body.

Jan 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add garysblim to your Buddy List
rossmehan

Registered: Apr 9, 2005
Review Date: Aug 9, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $7,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Bought mine in early 2004--Solid, Tank-like contruction, very rugged and good weather/dust sealing. Bullet-proof shutter. Full-frame is great. Decent battery life.
Cons:
Way overpriced. Product is stuck in the "D30" era---Slow image processor and buffer. Having to scroll across enlarged image on review in a pain and always reminds me how old this model is. Menus are cumbersome and confusing. Having to hold the "select" button to scroll through images is a pain. Number one biggest compaint is NOISE--really unacceptable for a camera at this price. Even 400 ISO is pushing it. (And yes I do use Noise Ninja)

I bough this camera in early 2004 knowing that Canon was about to release a successor (they did, later that year). I needed the highest-res camera I could buy at the time and didn't want to buy the Kodak 14N. I have put well over 100,000 exposures on my camera with only one minor mechanical problem and NO electrical problems---a very solid, strong camera. I have never had a corrupt file being a fault of the camera. That being said--if I knew then what I know today, I would have bought 2-20D's and not the 1Ds. The camera is overpriced (so is the 1Ds MII, in my humble opinion). With the rapid changes in technology, cameras become obsolete in about 2 years--not a lot of time to recoup a $7,000 tool cost. Also the camera is noisey--really a problem over 400 ISO. The 5D and 20/30D are very good to shoot 400 ISO all the time, and produce silky-smooth noise even at 800/1600 ISO. I also feel the color is flat out of the 1Ds--just my opinion, again. I would not encourage someone to buy this camera--buy two 5D's instead. When the successor to the 5D comes out, hopefully in a couple of months, I will retire my faithful 1Ds----

Aug 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rossmehan to your Buddy List
veroman

Registered: Aug 19, 2005
Review Date: Aug 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality Build
Cons:

I will be brief: the Canon 1Ds Mark I is unique and holds a special in the world of DSLR design. I know of no other DSLR that produces files with the same level of detail, clarity and richness as the original 1Ds.

Of all the DSLRs I own and have owned in the past, the 1Ds is the closest to film in look, feeling and "depth" of images. Even the grain at higher ISOs is much more like film than the typical "noise" and blotchiness produced by the majority of digital cameras.

The current (2007) pricing of used 1Ds cameras makes it a strong competitor to the 5D. In my opinion IQ-wise and at ISO 640 or below the Canon 1Ds Mark I is a noticeably better camera than the 5D.

Aug 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add veroman to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 1Ds