Canon EOS 1Ds

IEEE1394 (Firewire) interface

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

tived

Registered: Jan 31, 2003
Review Date: May 27, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I just love this camera, it is amazing. Details, color is great, less saturated then my ol' D60 but I really like this 1Ds
Cons:
It could have been faster to transfer when shooting, but I don't really think it is much slower then my old D60...so, no I can't really say much bad about it :-) Ok, there is noise in the higher ISO

Not being a Pro, this could be a bit of an overkill, but it sure has added to the fun of making images.

Most of Pro guys have already added the tech details so I will spare you for repeating them.

Could I afford it, I would buy it again!

I am actually playing with the D60 again as I have the camera for service at Canon Australia (WA) and boy do I miss my 1Ds what a difference there is. The 1Ds is just lightning fast, the AF is amazing, the color is soo much better (shooting RAW) and yes, get CaptureOne if you are getting this baby (should have been bundled).

It is a little intimidating to walk around with, especially with the
70-200f/2.8mm L IS, most other dads quickly hides their P&S's cameras but I just love this beast and take it with me all over the place.

Now, all I need now is just to learn to take photos :-) but, it is the best tool to learn with.

Happy shooting and enjoy

Henrik

May 27, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tived to your Buddy List
markmuntean

Registered: Jan 17, 2003
Review Date: May 22, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: great resolution, quick and powerful focusing logic, reliable metering (all much desired enhancements over my prior D60), full frame viewfinder/sensor
Cons:
propensity to collect dust on sensor, too much digital noise at higher ISO settings, cost

There has been a lot of wonderful things written about the 1Ds, and they are generally true. While very expensive, it is a high quality camera. The resolution is fantastic - I went out and bought a Espon 7600 so that I could print larger than 12x18 - the camera can deliver this.

There are two areas however that I am disappointed with that I hope Canon will address in their service programs, and perhaps in future cameras. This is not a balanced review - I think the praises have been repeated elsewere and I agree, but here are the real disappointments I see with the camera:

The first issue is the propensity for the sensor to collect dust - major problem for my use. I use this at horse shows, and need to change lenses in less than clean-room environments. Over a few weeks my camera collected an intollerable amount of dust on the sensor. There is no recommended user solution that works (forget blowers - they just wont clear the dust). Although not recommended by Canon, based on the advice of others I have tried the eclipse/swap method. This helps, but with the full frame sensor you mainly move a lot of the gunk to edges. The existing swaps cannot pick the stuff up very well.

This is a major usability issue for SLR digital cameras. The 1Ds in particular seems to attract more dust than my prior D60. In addition, the larger sensor is harder to clean. It has become an issue with the 1Ds.

I am willing to send my camera in to Canon for professional cleaning, but not willing to wait the few weeks it takes for turn around. This has got to be a common issue for many customers. Canon - here is a solution. Offer a quick turn sensor clean only service by appointment. I call Canon and reserve a date. I send in via fed-ex next day and they service and send out same day. I have my camera back and clean in three days. Go ahead and charge me for this service, just make it quick. By having a focused program that does only sensor cleaning and controlling the number of cameras per day there is no reason why Canon could not do this.

My second issue is digital noise. I have found the images not very satisfying above ISO 200. Yes, they work, but I like a clean image. The D60 was much lower noise, as is my backup 10D. In fact, I prefer to grab the 10D when I need to shoot in lower light. And ISO 200 renders even mid day marginal lighting when you need to shoot at 1000th+ for motion. I want a camera with clean images at ISO 400 or 800 - this is not it.

So this is more of an enhancement request summary than a general review, but for the future:

1. Solve the dust problem - by design of the camera, by design of a tool or system for the user to clean the sensor, or by a quick turn service to solve this problem.

2. Reduce the noise problem - this seems to be the next frontier for image quality improvements.

That being said, I would buy it again if stolen, but would not feel great about these issues and the value. Value is secondary however - just address my top two issues and I would be ecstatic about this camera.

May 22, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add markmuntean to your Buddy List
Schemeloong

Registered: Apr 29, 2003
Review Date: May 14, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Full frame CMOS, Incredible resolution and much better S/N ratio than the D60 and 10D. Excellent body based on the 1D, with excellent AF, metering and weather proof capabilities, 10 frames buffer enough for most situations, battery consumption pretty low so 2 packs will take you very far.
Cons:
Price, instant review slower than Nikon D100, color tone far from neutral in default setting. Noise above ISO 200 not as good as 10D, CMOS highly dust prone, wish they have a dust shield like the Sigma SD9.

Yes this camera is more expensive than most but at the same time it is better than most. Excellent body based on the 1D/1V, with a matte finish much nicer than the 1V. Full frame is quite a revelation if you've been using a D60/30/10D, but ofcourse you pay the price for it. With this camera you really need to invest a lot of than that MSRP, the camera is very memory hungry, so you need 1G CF card and above, plus u might want to get a DVD-RW to store the raw images, after that you will find the file viewer utility is pretty bad at converting RAW images then you will need to invest in something like Breezebrowser or the awesome Capture One DSLR (another USD500 ouch!). Yes the tone curve is customisable but try doing that in real life and you'll find the interface unlike Canon's fashion is terrible. I guess if you want to extract the best you will need to get them incamera professional profiler thing to get the color really right. Plus the full size 11mega CMOS is very demanding and it shows on many L lenses, such as the 16-35 2.8L and the 24-70 2.8L. Yes the camera can output some excellent A3+ 13x19 prints with aplomb but afterall the output aren't always film like, it shows especially when shooting foliage. But in the studio, you just can't distinguish the output with film. Excellent 1st full size CMOS camera from Canon.

May 14, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Schemeloong to your Buddy List
Olsen

Registered: May 4, 2003
Review Date: May 4, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $12,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The digital SLR with the highest resolution on the market on a full size 135-format CMOS. Wast range of parameter settings from sharpness, tone curves to file sizes. Awsome resolution, although still a bit behind Medium Format in this respect, to my view. The advantage of taking both Raw and Jpg simultaniously. The only digital camera around that produces high resolution digital files from real wide angle lenses. - Except for a Medium Format equipment to three times the price. A rugged and solid body that feels good to handle. So rugged and solid that it can be used as self protection whenever US forces & arab nationalists wants to wipe out a poor press man. Swung by it's strap in a wide circle above your head it can kill a man at close range.
Cons:
A true dust bowl. Troublesome, time consuming and nerve-wreaking to work with in this respect. The consept 'digital SLR' is not the ideal solution to digital photography unless this can be solved. Noicy beond 200 ASA, but, dependant on motive, acceptable bellow 800 ASA. Still facinating to use with a 50 mm/1:1,0 at 1250 ASA in a dull lit restraurant. People think you are just fooling around. High ASA noice is not so predominant on paper copies, though. Produces some file sizes that will leave your old PC/Mac equipment standing on it's pedals. Go for a G5!

The camera consept is a bit rediculous since the body gives you the impression that 'it can take it all' on a jungle trekking or an assignment to Iraq. Due to dust Canon EOS1 Ds is nerve wreaking to use effectively other than in an controlled environment of a studio. Must be a true nightmare to work with for a pro in the field. You have to constantly to check that your CMOS is clear of dust.

In all honesty; my very analog 135-format negatives had a dust and scratch problem far exceeding that of the digital files of my EOS D1s.

When dust hits the CMOS use a rubber blower only. Don't use Swabs etc. You only make matters worse. Whenever dust spots will not leave the CMOS with light air preassure, send it in for cleaning at a Canon service facility. Is it within the camera's waranty time; expect Canon to do it free.

May 4, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Olsen to your Buddy List
John Smeets

Registered: Mar 17, 2002
Posts: 20632
Review Date: Apr 16, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $8,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: everything except isoshot above 200
Cons:
iso above 200 suck no good treadment on that(and that includes freds actions sorry to say that it works but it doesn,t come close to a iso 200 shot

after 4 months can say this cam gives me everything i expected
great for all kinda shot not only studio
ok. for the 8 frames on sports actions(if needed) this ain,t the cam for you
but if you want perfections (and have the right set of lenses) it Rocks
Wow.............

*** except at iso above 200 with are needed at lowlight shot with animals that make moves at lansscape,s you can shoot at 100 or 200
Big deal Yes and Know Canon should have know better hopefully they can solve the problem with a software update But i doubt that???
John Smeets

Apr 16, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add John Smeets to your Buddy List
sdai

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Review Date: Apr 5, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Full frame, 11MP
Cons:
High ISO Noise

Well, guess enough has been said about this camera. I've been playing with it for almost 5 months already so far no major to complain about. However, Canon does have some homework to do with it especially with the noise over ISO400.

One more point to mention ... the Ds does kill the MF+ scanner, but MF + digital backs (Valeo and H Series) are still way beyond its quality in studio use. Move on, Canon. I'm expecting another innovative product from you!

Apr 5, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sdai to your Buddy List
Jack Flesher

Registered: Oct 23, 2002
Review Date: Apr 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution and detail are Incredible! Truly medium format image quality in a DSLR form factor.
Cons:
Price and weight?

You know it all already -- Incredible image detail -- more than necessary for web -- fast handling, infinitely customizable with custom and personal functions, and in use it becomes an extension of your mind.

Apr 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add Jack Flesher to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Mar 31, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Great solid feel, full frame chip, images easy to crop, good AF.
Cons:
Find it hard to evaluate images on LCD, storage space(not really a fault),battery power could be better.

Is there a perfect product? I doubt it but this is the best that is about at the moment. You have the ability to produce stunning prints but make no mistake ! this aint a point and shoot camera. It feels every bit a pro camera and the viewfinder is second to none but I find I do have to use the historgram more than the lcd to evaluate the images before moving on and because of this(when your looking for the best possible quality you must shoot raw) The metering seems to have a bit of a mind of it`s own(unlike the D60) and noise can be seen on some images where you wouldn`t expect to see it. Dust is a big problem on the AA filter more so when shooting wide and stopped down beyond f8. You might say"with all those minus why the hell did you buy it"? Well, you don`t know all the pit falls before you actually get to grips with one and as i said, it still is the best you can get.I have just had to get a second battery(why the hell couldn`t we have L-ion?)
On the plus side, when you get it all right the results really are stunning and the fine detail you can pull out is superb. Seeing the tests of the Kodak 14N did make me feel a lot better though and it obviously isn`t that easy to get it all right from a big sensor.
If I had to put one mainpoint up that I`m the most unhappy with then it would have to be the metering and the ability to check it on the LCD but the more i use it the better control i have. If it wasn`t for the high storage demands I might well shoot bracket but at only 85 or so images in raw on a 1GB microdrive this isn`t an option. I now have 3 microdrives but still have to justify the shots if I`m out on a long days shoot.
IMHO if you don`t like working for your images then this isn`t the camera for you(more so if you don`t intend to print larger than A3 or intend to crop much) I like the technical side of photography so getting things right is what makes me tick but I`m going to admit that in the first few days I wanted my D60 back, now i couldn`t go back! Combine the 1Ds with the 70-200 2.8 IS and you have a fairly heavy bit of kit that anyone but the strongest will notice(I`m a manual worker now so am not a whimp)A good friend of mine has just upgraded to the 1Ds and all ready he is complaining about the LCD and is shooting 50% of his shots in raw where as he has never shot raw in the past.Don`t forget you must connect the camera to your pc via firewire card to be able to turn on some of the features(God knows why they couldn`t have given you full control in the camera)Taking several shots in raw mode on the trot finds you standing around waiting for the buffer to empty or the viewfinder to show the previews but that is modern technology and large amounts of data just don`t transfer like lightening(not yet at least)
Make sure you have a pretty good pc to handle the images(I have 1GB of ram and find I have to wait for things to happen now) i have just added a second hard drive(120GB) to help with storage, I know you can write to CD but there is nothing like having the last few weeks images on hand.I have found on my pc that times in excess of 10 minutes is needed to download to the hard drive from the Microdrive.
So! all the above points are downers mainly, well this is a review and as honest as I feel it can be.
Would I buy it again?? I`d have to because this is(as i said earlier) the best that is around at the moment and at the end of the day you do get 11million pixels worth of image quality when it all goes right and in general the camera is like using the top of the range Canon film cameras. One more point, any of your lenses that you feel are on the border line with the D60/10D will need to be upgraded with the 1Ds if your going to get the best from that huge chip.

Mar 31, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
stevenrs

Registered: Feb 24, 2003
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,800.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Resolution, customizable functions
Cons:
Slow burst rate, max 1250 ISO, dust, price

No doubt about it...this is an expensive camera! The pluses are the full frame CMOS and resolution. The quality of the images is fantastic! Fortunately for Canon, there is no alternative (yet). The slow burst rates and 1250 max ISO may limit this camera’s use to more “controlled” environments. Otherwise, the camera performs great! One thing to consider…the 10D may be a better value (depending upon your need for pixels). The way things are going, you may be able to pick up both (at the same price) next year.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stevenrs to your Buddy List
Jeff

Registered: Dec 31, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Too many to list
Cons:
'Expensive' (you get what you pay for!), LCD soft

I've said it here before: Canon simply took a quantum leap ahead of where the technology should have been (when it was released in late '02). Canon got just about everything right, and I do mean everything. Sure it has a few minor quirks, but I still can't believe that Canon found the 'middle-ground' for all the different characteristics of sensors that can prove so difficult to engineer; witness Kodak's ongoing issues with the yet-to-be-released 14n. The one thing that I don't like is the preview LCD is quite soft (and a bit flat, too), and it is virtually impossible to critically evaluate sharpness of an 11 MP image while shooting.

If you don't need 8 f.p.s. and want the ultimate in resolution for astounding prints 12x18" and beyond, the 1Ds can do it. Pro features and pro build quality. It is the standard against which many future cameras will be judged, and I believe it will stand up beyond just the next generation...

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jeff to your Buddy List
mike kobal

Registered: Feb 12, 2003
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: RESOLUTION, RESOLUTION, RESOLUTION, RESOLUTION,
Cons:

the rent payer. better than my hasselblad.
sold hasselblad.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mike kobal to your Buddy List
John MacLean

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Mar 29, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: detail, detail, and more detail
Cons:
price

last year I had the 1D, but sold it, for 3 reasons. 1: moiré. 2: resolution issues. 3: 1.3x crop.

This camera solved all of my woes. I now print 11x17" Epson 2200 prints without resampling and the prints blow my mind! Literally makes slide film obsolete!

Mar 29, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John MacLean to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 1Ds