Canon EOS 1Ds

IEEE1394 (Firewire) interface

tcphoto

Registered: Mar 29, 2004
Review Date: Dec 2, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: High resolution, full frame sensor, 1 series build, quality of files.
Cons:
The sensor attracts more dust than the 1D and 1D2 and processing time is slower than the other 1D bodies.

I am in heaven, after using the Canon 1D and then a Canon 1D2 I have moved up to a 1Ds. Yes, the technology is older than the 1D2 but my work has benefited from it's features. The larger files, full frame sensor which gives you a 1.0 factor and true percpective of lenses are well suited to my product and fashion work. A one gig card holds more than 80 RAW files and the 3 frames a second is plenty.

If you are a Photojournalist or Sports Photographer, I would recommend the 1D2 or 1D2n. But if you are looking for an affordable body without the 1Ds2 sticker shock and clean used 1Ds is a great choice.

Dec 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tcphoto to your Buddy List
tcphoto

Registered: Mar 29, 2004
Review Date: Nov 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Full frame, high resolution and a 1 series build. I just aquired a 1Ds with 22K actuations on it's shutter and am very happy with the files it produces. I had a 1D2, but needed higher resolution and full frame and have no regrets.
Cons:
The sensor does attract more dust than the 1D and 1D2, but I see no problem with regular maintainence and care outside the studio.

Nov 30, 2006
hazmee

Registered: Sep 12, 2005
Review Date: Aug 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Full-frame (duh!), large viewfinder, plenty of resolution, tough and weather-sealed body, excellent out of camera JPEGs, film-like noise
Cons:
Battery guzzler (only 300 shots at one charge), slow image review, no zoom in function on image preview, prone to dust on sensor

I bought a 2nd hand 1Ds for about S$4.5k (abt USS$2.7k). Replaced the shutter due to wear and tear. Mine looks likes its being heavily used but its internal components are perfectly fine. A workhorse camera and has never failed on me. Its a very addictive camera to use. Besides the full-frame appeal, you'll need good lenses to complement this camera. I've used my EOS 30 for quite a while but the 1Ds just keep growing on me everyday.

Its no point and shoot and takes quite a while to understand the functions and deciding your final image outlook. The menus at first seemed daunting but after using the camera everyday, it doesnt pose as a problem for me at all. In fact, I dont even need to go to the menu once I understood the functions. I dont know if can ever afford another camera like the 1Ds. Looks like its going to stay with me until Canon stops supporting this camera.

Aug 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hazmee to your Buddy List
Sisoje

Registered: Jan 25, 2003
Review Date: Jun 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: 1D configuration, resolution, built quality, "film like" colors, price (for a used copy),...
Cons:
different menus from "Mark II" versions, LCD screen, writing speed (comparing to second generation)....

Full frame is a FULL FRAME.

I needed 3rd body for my work. My other 2 bodies are Mark IIs (both models). I have tried and handled 5D, 30D,... "sorry, no like"... After 1D body, everything is toy like... Main issue is that I could not digest different buttons on 5D. Long story short, I decided to get a second hand 1Ds. I found one here on FM in immaculate condition. And it was cheaper than a (new) 5D...

The camera clearly shows that this (was) is first generation 1Ds. There are visible upgrades on MKII, but even with all that this camera is still (almost) perfect tool. Most of my shoots I do at 100 ISO, so noise at higher ISO is not an issue for me. LCD is a joke comparing to newer cameras, but I am not one of those guys who keep "image review" on all the time. Just remember people how you used to shoot in late 20th century: film camera anybody?
I find the file size to be in the perfect middle between 1D MKII and 1Ds MKII. Yes, some of the stock agencies I work for do not accept file size in this range, but still I have other camera for that.

I expect to use this "old fart" for a few years together with other DSLRs....

Jun 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Sisoje to your Buddy List
Majikthize

Registered: Mar 3, 2005
Review Date: Apr 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: High resolution, high per-pixel sharpness, film-like noise quality, excellent 45-point AF, bullet-proof construction. Did I say high resolution?
Cons:
Weight, modest battery life, slow image review & write times, minimal onscreen image zoom, no orientation sensor, small preview images embedded in RAW files.

Traded $3,000 worth of medium-format gear for a demo unit one year ago. Like the 1D I purchased used for $1,200 in November, this is an oldie but goodie that will serve me well for many years. I use it for landscapes and portraits. If I need speed, I grab the 1D. If I want a lightweight camera for casual use on the road, I grab my 10D. But, when I want the ultimate image quality, which is most of the time, the 1Ds does not disappoint. In terms of resolution, this is really not far behind the Mark II at all, as the latter actually outresolves most of the lenses used on it. The 1Ds gives you just about everything a good L zoom can deliver. Color of RAW files processed in Adobe Camera RAW is excellent. Noise looks more like film grain than that from newer cameras. To me, it's a classic film look that doesn't scream "digital". And, prints can be huge if the glass and technique are good. Also, AF is better than on any "prosumer" body, and the FF viewfinder is a joy.

Image review is slow, onscreen zooming is awkward and limited, batteries last "only" about 500 shots, the thing weighs a ton, and noise becomes problematic above ISO 640.

So what? I shot 35mm transparency film in manual-focus bodies for 20 years. Compared to that, the 1Ds' limitations are minor trifles. This things delivers the good like nothing short of the $8,000 Mark II. At $3,000 in good condition, it's a steal even today.

Perfection it ain't. This isn't for the hobbyist who expects a camera to magically improve bad technique and composition and cure insecurity disorders. For experienced photogs who master their tools, though, this is a sheer joy, a real workhorse that reliably delivers top-notch goods with no nasty gotchas.

Apr 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Majikthize to your Buddy List
jmraso

Registered: May 25, 2004
Review Date: Apr 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: FF, 11 million pixel, confidence of a 1D body, film looking prints.
Cons:
Noise but not an issue if you can control light or have another body,which is my case 1D Mark II N

I bought a Brand New one on Stock for a song and I can stop using it even having a more modern DSRL (Mark II N) but the 1Ds gives me plenty of confidence up yo 400 ISO or even higher taken for granted some post proccesing (Noise Ninja).

I do recomend it if the price is good.

Jaime
www.jmraso.com

Apr 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jmraso to your Buddy List
JamesQuest

Registered: Mar 23, 2006
Review Date: Mar 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Professional feeling body. I love the Full-Frame aspect. The image quality is simply amazing and you will not miss any details. Use good optics, otherwise, any flaws will appear. Overall, it's an incredible machine for the true professionals who wants a serious camera for their serious passion.
Cons:
Expensive, but well worth the price.

After waiting for the latest Canon Dslr, I've found the 30D to be a dissapointment. Luckily, a friend of mine sold me the 1Ds. The 1Ds is by no mean, any dissapointment, but more of exceeding my expectations. The image quality is superb. Mate with high quality lenses, this camera is top notch. Sharpness is on the money. Color is great, although it requires PP to meet personal preference. What more can I say about resolution and FF?

This camera allows me to explore more into the realm of photography. It's got way too many serious features, all of which are reasonable vs. hype factor.

Like a bowl of menudos, this camera will probably grow on me as I taste a little bit of it each day.

Happy shooting!

Mar 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JamesQuest to your Buddy List
ollram

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Location: Estonia
Review Date: Jan 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid built, 11MP, Pro
Cons:
LCD quality, slow writing to CF cards (compared to 1dmkII i own)

Owning a 1dmkII i decided to get a used 1ds and i did not regret it at all. Excellent camera, superb images, and good price, since the introduction of 5d. Grab one when price will drop below 2500$, you won't regret it !

Jan 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ollram to your Buddy List
designboy

Registered: Dec 9, 2004
Review Date: Jul 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,700.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Files with details beyond imagination. (Also easy to enlarge 200-300% with good quality - 50x70cm no probl.) Excellent build quality, good ergonomics. The photographer is in control of everything (and has no excuses anymore.)
Cons:
Dark screen, slow image display on the LCD monitor after shot.

FF is sent from a good place to all us lovers of wideangle photography!

The speed is ok (compared to a 20D) except a bit slow to see the image being displayed on the LCD monitor after the shot. I've never filled the buffer of 10 RAW-files yet.

Great viewfinder, excellent professional body, 45 selectable AF-points(I use them all, manually!), 3fps and so on. Did I say 11 Mpix Full Frame sensor..? Cool.

The files you can get from this camera is awesome. Very filmlike AND high resolution. The 20D, for example, have lower noice at higher ISO but the images don't have the same "feeling". My solution to the max ISO of 1250 is to get faster lenses, primes.

But you need to really work for the maximum quality. This ain't no point and shoot. Motion blur i.e. is more visible due to the high resolution. And you need good lenses to keep the sensor well fed.

On the negative side: Some times it can be heavy to carry.
A dark screen, hard to see the blue histogram against black background in sunlight. (Why a dark blue histogram?) No longer can I rely on the histo and screen (takes to long time). I have to become better at exposures from the begining (always using manual mode and spot metering).

I choose between a used 1Ds and a new 1DmkII and I'm glad for my choice. (Using it for studio, editorial and street etc.)

/Jonas

Jul 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add designboy to your Buddy List
hahr

Registered: Sep 30, 2004
Review Date: Apr 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 11 megapixels, sharp photos, accurate metering, and excellent build quality.
Cons:
write speed could be faster, but for a camera introduced in 2002 this is to be expected.   high ISO performance is a bit lacking but it has taught me to stay within 100-400 for most of my shots.

the limitations of this camera (ISO performance and write speed) have actually taught me to be a better photographer.   how can i complain with that?

Apr 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hahr to your Buddy List
its_tom

Registered: Dec 6, 2004
Review Date: Jan 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Focus accurancy, Pics right of the cam, Resolution, Handling
Cons:
Noise, CF-Interface speed, Dust Magnet

Before i had a 10D. Boy what an improvement! Focus is instant and secure, the Pics are waaay sharp. I dont even have in camera sharpening turned on, they simply look good. The balance of the cam is way better than the 10D with BG-ED3. Its not the fastest in review. I think if you're a Landscape shooter or someone thats used to MF its a great Camera. If your more of a P&S with load of chimping or photojournalist or sports photog stay away of it.

I dont have the money for the 1Ds Mark 2 but even if, i dont think i would bit on that offer. I shoot mostly in the 100-400 Range, slowpaced, dont care for review (besides histogram). For me its simply perfect.

Tom

Jan 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add its_tom to your Buddy List
go4it

Registered: Sep 2, 2004
Review Date: Sep 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Not bad. "Low" megapixel sensor. Ha! Ha! Read on ..... The new EOS 1Ds Mk II - yes, a Mark II version of the super-camera - makes most other "pro" digi-cams look like Instamatics ...
Cons:
Probably the cost ...

New Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II has been announced. It's on their website .... so don't rush out and buy that ratty old "plain-vanilla" EOS 1Ds just yet! It's successor is waiting in the wings ....

Biggest improvement: 16.7 megapixels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And a Digic II processor, of course. Faster "write times", Better display. Faster start-up. Yadda, yadda, yadda ....

And ... all of the other neato features us Canon lovers have come to expect with the rest of the top-of-the-line EOS digi-cams.

16.7 megapixels!!!! This is an SLR-sized digi-cam capable of shooting with medium-format film cameras!!!!!!!!!!!

If the phrase "this changes everything" didn't mean anything before, it surely must now.

But I repeat: 16.7 megapixels!!!!!!!!!!!!

This isn't just "raising the bar". It's putting in up on the MOON!!!!

Ciao for now,

Sep 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add go4it to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Apr 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $6,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: gobs of megapixels, weak AA filter, 1 series build quality, and full frame!
Cons:
not as much slack in the shadows as other Canon DSLRs 3fps

An absolutly amazing camera. There was a steep learning curve switching from a 10D, but when images are correctly exposed, using excellent lenses at their optimal aperatures nothing else compares.

One example of the incredible detail: after hiking 3/4 mile from my car I turned around and took a 24mm wide angle back down the mountain towards the parking lot. When reviewing the shot on my computer I could pick out my car in the parking lot and see the difference between my minivan (yes, I drive a minivan) and the simmilarly colored sedans around it. That's detail.

Apr 2, 2004
Edit/Delete Message
Hammerli

Registered: Apr 17, 2003
Posts: 1914
Review Date: Jan 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF speed, control layout, lag times, FF
Cons:
Ancient battery design with HUGE charger, best results with expensive glass(not really a - I guess), "only" 3 fps.

After selling my first 1Ds, and switching to a 10D for a short time, I quickly discovered I could not live with all of the shortcomings of the 10D. End result; bought another 1Ds. The AF system and speed are fabulous. The minimal lag time makes pet and hummingbird photography so much easier.

I wish the battery was a Lithium ion, with a more portable charger, something the size of the S50 unit with the folding prongs would be much easier to stuff in my bags.

FF sensor is demanding on glass, particularly WA as others have mentioned.

I would like the zoom capabilities of the 10D, as the 1Ds zoom accessed through the PF is not nearly as versatile.

For the price, I would have also liked ST-E2 functionality built in, and wireless remote receiver built in. I have always been amazed that some of the cheaper Canon's have had that capability through the years, but not the expensive models. So I have to pay $379 for an LC-4, while a digital rebel owner can buy a $25 wireless remote and the receiver is already built-in Uh, O.K.!

Jan 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hammerli to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Oct 24, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It has taken medium format to the 35mm world. No other camera can do what this does.
Cons:
Poor LCD--not a very good tool for evaluating shots. HUGE. A friend of mine who plays in a rock band exclaimed, "Holy shit, that thing is like walking around with an amplifier around your neck!"

Everything good thing you have heard about this camera is true. There really isn't another 35mm digital that seriously compares. What you are buying is not just "the best 35mm digital" though. In many ways this is taking you out of the 35mm world into a portable (barely) medium format world in terms of picture quality. You are also working with 1st generation images in the digital darkroom--not 2nd generation scans of film. I did one test with the 1Ds vs. 35mm scans on a $15,000 Imacon scanner. The film wasn't remotely close to the 1Ds. (If you look at it that way, $7k is a lot less than $15k and you get world's better results.) Also, the immediate availability of the photograph, the no restrictions on pushing the shutter button...it has reinvented photography for me. I have since sold nearly all my film cameras.

Now some downsides. Beyond what you have already read above, this camera is MASSIVE. I am in good athletic shape, I'm 6'3" and weigh 205lbs. I carried this beast along to a corporate event I was shooting and my arm was dead in three hours. I have actually started lifting weights to make this beast more bearable. Walk around with this on your shoulder for a day of shooting, and you will start to ache early in the day.

On the plus side, this behemouth is well-balanced when shooting. And its gerth actually makes is easier to hold steady in a low light situation. So the news isn't all bad on that front.

Finally, the LCD is a major disappointment. I had a $400 Canon G2 whose LCD allowed you to truly evaluate a shot. I'll need to improve my ability to evaluate histograms because I can tell much from this LCD. This is a pretty big gripe because the ability to evaluate a shot instantly is a major part of what digital photography is all about. I am learning to live with what I have, but this is the worst feature of this camera IMHO.

Oct 24, 2003
Edit/Delete Message
macfiend

Registered: May 17, 2003
Review Date: Aug 5, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution. Features. Detail. Full Frame Chip.
Cons:
None so far. Less noise at ISO 1250 than my Nikon D1x at ISO 800.

I see that the biggest complaint many seem to have about this camera is the noise above ISO 200 but I have say that coming from Nikon the Canon 1Ds has less noise at any ISO compared to my old D1, D1x and D100 hands down. Prints at ISO 1250 from the 1Ds are still very usable.

As for dust on the sensor, my feeling is that any DSLR is going to have it's issues regardless.

The resolution and detail this camera produces is amazing. Better than 35mm film by far.

Everyones needs vary and this camera may not be for everybody.

Aug 5, 2003