Canon EOS D60

Image formats: JPG, RAW
Max resolution: 3072 x 2048 pixels
ISO 100-1000
Shutter speeds: 1/4000 to 30 sec in 1/3 and 1/2-stop increments
Built-in flash (Guide no: 12m/39ft ISO 100)
Flash synch: 1/200 sec
Continuous shooting at 3 fps
Interface: USB

Page:  1 · 2  next

emandavi

Registered: Feb 15, 2005
Review Date: Jun 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The photos from this camera are every bit as good as my 20D
Cons:
slow start-up

I own the 10D, 20D, and the 1DS MII, also. But this camera is my "walk-around" camera. I use it with my 75-300 lens, and since this lens is slow, I set the ISO on the D60 at 800 or 1000 outdoors, and can get good prints of images I take. When there's time to re-compose, I reset the ISO to a lower value, if I want to create an image, and not just a snapshot. For the price they're going now, I'd buy this over any point and shoot camera.
My 20D body has scratched easier than the body on this one. The flash on my 20D body has started to act up, too. Not the one on my D60. This thing is built solid! Anyone getting paid to do photos should consider this if they want a second body for back-up.

Jun 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add emandavi to your Buddy List
veroman

Registered: Aug 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality Build Color Out-of-camera JPEGs Resolution of fine detail
Cons:

After several years of working with files from quality cameras like the EOS 5D, 1Ds and Kodak SLR/c, it came as almost a shock to see just how very good-to-great the images are from the "old" Canon D60.

That's really all that needs to be said about this true classic. It's the bottom line: the D60 has, simply enough, great IQ. With a quality piece of glass up front, images are sharp, color-rich, contrasty and very, very faithful to reality...with no traces whatsoever of digital artifacts or that somewhat artificial "digital look" that affects so many cameras today, including my 5D.

This is, of course, the camera that paved the way for lower-cost DSLRs of high resolution. It's the camera that led to the Canon 10D and, subsequently, a host of subsequent Canon releases that have enabled millions of photographers to shoot hi-rez digital at moderate cost, with vanishingly low noise to boot. The D60 isn't as good in the noise department as newer Canon cameras, but it isn't bad...and it's a LOT better than its Nikon counterparts of its day as well as 99% of the current crop of point-and-shoots.

My take on the D60 is that Canon put their best thinking into it in order to guarantee its success. It HAD to succeed, and it did. Imagine what today's DSLR world would be like if it HADN'T!

In many, many ways, the D60 has image qualities found in Canon's 1Ds (the Mark 1), but with fewer pixels. If you don't intend to print larger than 11" X 17", you'll never see the difference.

D60's can be had for less than $300 these days. A real bargain....

Jun 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add veroman to your Buddy List
marxzed

Registered: Dec 8, 2005
Review Date: May 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Value for money, build quality, image quality, colour rendering, quite. Great for portrait and landscape (for an ASP sensor camera). Can use a many of the older Sigma EOS lenses without having to rechip the lenses.
Cons:
Slow, slow to start up, slow to focus, slow fps, slow to dump to CF card, only slow ISO's are useable (400 and below), small buffer. only 3 focus points. Uses ETTL-1. Not good for sports/action/kids/pets. Interface a little cludgy if your used to newer models. Will only take 2GB or smaller CF cards

This is a follow up review to one I did close to a year and a half ago when I first purchased my D60. In the mean time I've purchased a 20D and a 400D but still find myself using the D60 more often than I ever expected.

Originally I kept it because I have a number of older Sigma EOS mount lenses that will work on this body with out having to be rechipped.
Sigma will no longer rechip many of these older lenses (apparently can not as they no longer have new chips for them) so they tend to get sold quite cheap on e-bay.

One lens in-particular, the Sigma 14mm f3.2 ultra wide lens is the best wide angle I've ever used and I really can't see my self giving it up.
I've found my self using it mostly for landscape and portrait work as I believe it produces nicer colour saturation straight out of the camera than my 20D.

these examples are pretty much straight out of the camera with only moderate post processing (curves and sharpening)

With the Sigma 14mm 3.2 lens:

With a Canon EF 28-70 2.8 L lens:

However it's low light/high ISO/ASA handling is atrocious compared to newer EOS's. At 100 to 200 it's every bit as good as my 20D at 400 it's good to acceptable but 800 is only usable in full sunlight for fast shutter speed work

Compare the noise on these images taken at 800 ISO/ASA. Shot a few days apart, the first with the D60 during the day but low light due to heavy overcast and rain the second with a 20D at night... the difference and improvement in noise handling is astounding

D60 at 800 ISO/ASA:

20D at 800 ISO/ASA:
Even the last picture here shot at 1600 ISO/ASA has less noise than many of the 800ISO/ASA shots from the D60.

I'm going to give it a good solid thumbs up to for its build quality - it may not be a D1 series, or be weather sealed, but it is one tough cookie, it's survived many drops without so much as a dent, a scratch or a misfire, coped with being literally drowned in monsoonal rain (which killed it for 3 days - then it spontaneously resurrected its-self though by which time I'd bought a "new" S/H 20D)

I have to say a good, solidly made, affordable camera for some one entering (or like me re-entering) in to photography.

May 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add marxzed to your Buddy List
dclement7

Registered: Mar 12, 2005
Review Date: Apr 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: This was my first DSLR and still my favorite due to the outstanding color it captures. I have since purchased a 1DS Mark 2 and Digital Rebel XTi, but would not dream of getting rid of my D60. Even after all these years, its still a great camera.
Cons:

Apr 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dclement7 to your Buddy List
hallbert

Registered: Dec 11, 2002
Review Date: Jul 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The D60 seems to produce outstanding color without a lot of processing.
Cons:

I love the color the D60 produces. I have had one, sold it and then missed it so much that I bought another one. It may be slow compared to the latest DSLRs but I would recommend the D60 to anyone who is not looking for speed. If speed is what you want. get a 1D or 1D Mark II. But for a carry around DSLR without investing big bucks, this is well worth the money.

Jul 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hallbert to your Buddy List
DogsBollocks

Registered: Feb 20, 2006
Review Date: Apr 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great secondhand price - wonderful semi-pro build resolutions and IQ cannot be beaten in price. Overall excellent second body!
Cons:
Slow AF, not as good low light handling as modern dSLRs.

I've purchased this recently and it came with BG-ED3 grip and a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX got it at 440 or around 700 usd! It was a great deal!

Apr 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DogsBollocks to your Buddy List
ashes1971

Registered: Aug 31, 2005
Review Date: Aug 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Got it second hand, coming from EOS 30 (Elan7). Great handling, though quite heavy with the handle. Great colours rendition, good AF in good light, simple, yet complete back menu. I just love it !
Cons:
Could find any for my use

Aug 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ashes1971 to your Buddy List
CamCraze

Registered: Apr 21, 2005
Review Date: Apr 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great image quality, strong build (even if it has a plastic body), fast auto focus compared to digi-cams, long battery life.
Cons:
Noise at 800 and 1000 but not terribly bad.

I had bought a sony F717 first in July of 2003 and used it for about 4 months. I thought it was the best thing. Then I decided to get the D60 after reading so much about the 10D and the D60 because I wanted more control, faster response and better image quality. I couldn't afford the 10D at the time so I went with the next best thing, the D60. They are practically the same minus more control over white balance, extra steps in parameters and the extra auto focus points amongst other minor details, which didnt really matter to me any way. Boy, what a big difference in shutter speed, focus speed, writing speed and most of all image quality compared to the F717.

I instantly fell in love and cant stop taking photos. I wish it had the metallic body like the current model but the body is still pretty strong dispite being plastic. After all, the sub frame is metal. I never regreted my purchase, this camera is awsome and I would recommend it to anybody looking for their first DSLR. I tried the 20D, yeah its a better camera but the D60 still holds it own.

Apr 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CamCraze to your Buddy List
Bitty

Registered: Apr 1, 2005
Review Date: Apr 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Handles well. Excellent image quality. Accurate AF. Durable.
Cons:
Slow general operation by today's standards - but still very usable in most situations.

Handles well. Excellent image quality. Colour is very nice with rich, not over-saturated, colours. At iso100-200 it is better than the 20D which I also have - not bad for a three-year old dslr! Using RAW and C1 Pro, then iso400 to 800 is as good as the 20D. I prefer the smooth plastic of the D60 to the buff metal of the 20D - it cleans easier and is very durable. I also think that the D60 is better built than the 20D - the bits fit better and seem more solid.

AF and low-light AF are understandably slower than today's DSLRs. But, given reasonable light and even lowish-light, it performs very well. Use the 550EX AF assist and the low-light problem is gone. Its AF accuracy is very good - very few OOF shots. General speed of operation is slower than today's DSLRs, egs are CF operations, turning on, image viewing. The 20D is VERY fast by contrast.

After three years with the D60 I still use it though I use the 20D more - basically because of the speed. For anyone who cannot afford a 350D then a D60 would be a great alternative.

Apr 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bitty to your Buddy List
Newk

Registered: Apr 23, 2003
Review Date: Feb 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid performer, excellent image quality with good glass, used prices are LOW!
Cons:
AF is slow and not great in low light, slow to start up. E-ttl is tough to work with in some situations, especially weddings with white gowns and black tuxes.

This was my first serious digital. I used it a few days after I got it for a wedding, along with a medium format Contax. My hope when buying it was that it could replace my 35mm for wedding candids, but I was so impressed with the quality that I sold my Contax 645 and switched to 99% digital.

I only used it for a few months before switching to a 1D for its better focusing. I'd also hoped for better e-ttl performance but discovered that the 1D wasn't much, if any, better. (Finally, the 1DII has improved that aspect.)

The D60 would still make a great camera for serious amateurs or as a backup for most pros. For the current used prices it's hard to beat.

Feb 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Newk to your Buddy List
The Image

Registered: Dec 3, 2004
Review Date: Dec 7, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: great image quality
Cons:
terribly bad noise above 400iso, not enough focusing points, slow auto in some situations.

this is my first digital slr,ive had it for several years now.its served me well. although i missed quite a bit of shots with it at several sporting events due to its sometimes slow autofucus and not having enough focusing points as a general camera for landscape and studio and other things where fast af isnt needed its great. worth mentioning here is its a great night camera,it has very low noise at 100 and 200 iso ,400 iso is acceptable. iso's above 400 are incredibly noisy though. ive ran double page magazine spreads with this cam with great results. now here in 2004 its obviously outdated and improved upon in everyway for considerably cheaper than what this cost new,but just getting into digital it would make a good first slr. im sure they can be had real cheep nowadays.

Dec 7, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add The Image to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Oct 5, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $480.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very good image quality at 100 and 200 asa. Value for money..ie price paid
Cons:
Slow focus in low light.

Top little unit....I use it as a spare backup for my 1DmkII...or when travelling and not wishing to take too much heavy gear with me.
Great alrounder.....

Oct 5, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
mfoto

Registered: Sep 18, 2002
Review Date: Aug 14, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Solid performer for my use. See link to my gallery below. First digital SLR at a reasonable price when purchased back in Oct. 02.
Cons:
Focusing

When D60 was intorduced I saw enough quality comared to the D30 that I was ready to make the plunge. Just 6 months later the 10D came out at a $1000 saving which was a bit hard to take but really I've had close to 30.000 exposures and the D60 is still a great camera.

www.pbase.com/mfoto

Aug 14, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mfoto to your Buddy List
Dean Treml

Registered: Aug 9, 2004
Review Date: Aug 10, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Image size & quality, value for money, well featured.
Cons:
Low light autofocus.

Having gone through Canon D-SLR's such as the D2000, and D30, this camera represented a huge jump forward in image quality when it was released. At the time I tossed up over replacing my D30 with a D60 or a 1D. I came very close to buying the 1D, but decided that despite the amazing speed and strength of the camera itself, the image quality just didn't stack up for me.
I never regretted that decision. Knowing that Canon had all that technology wrapped up in the 1D, and then to pull a 6.3MP image sensor out of the hat in a widely used by pros but still essentially consumer D60, there had to be something better around the corner. Sure enough the 1D mk II is that camera.
In the interim the D60 served me well. It has a few weaknesses for pro use, particularly in news and sports where the AF is slow, especially in low light conditions, but while you miss a few shots, you get plenty. Even the brilliant Mk II produces out of whack images.
For sports the image size is also much more croppable than the original 1D, and allows you to shoot subjects which otherwise may be too far away to pull up satisfactorily.
The 550ex works very well on the D60, unlike the 1D which is a bit of a flash lottery at times, and the camera is generally well featured. Seems to take the odd knock quite happily too. It handles very well with the additional vertical grip, and the battery life of the CMOS'd D60 is excellent, unlike that of the CCD'd 1D.
I had the opportunity to buy a 2nd hand 1D a few months back, but sold it shortly afterwards. It just confirmed all my original suspicions. It is a very good camera and was revolutionary for a D-SLR function wise, but the CMOS 6.3MP of the D60 spoils the experience. Conversely somebody going the other way would no doubt find the AF and FPS of the D60 disappointing.
I would not hesitate to recommend the D60 to anybody looking for a cheap D-SLR to get into digital, or even as a back up body, which mine currently is. It has exceeded 100,000 exposures to date and has only required one small US$90.00 repair in over two years of use.

Aug 10, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dean Treml to your Buddy List
marcus_yam

Registered: Jan 1, 2004
Posts: 2057
Review Date: Aug 8, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Durability(Don't let other fool you; try it!), value for money; equivalent to the 10D in almost every aspect! Low noise from ISO100-400.
Cons:
The lack of manual white balance setting the 10D has; more AF points which makes composition better in 'action' photography. Too much noise from ISO 800 onwards.

This is my first DSLR; and it has taken me the whole nine yards; it brought me many great photos even with third party lenses! Now it's been seven months and I'm still bonded to this camera; I just simply love this piece of machine. Can't dream of leaving it for another - even though it has technological limitations. But if you know how to handle this little baby; it can deliver results. You can see my work here:

All the photos there are taken with my D60.

Aug 8, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add marcus_yam to your Buddy List
asbodke

Registered: Apr 12, 2004
Review Date: May 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great picture quality.
Cons:
AF hunting in low light conditions. Underexposure.

I bought this D-SLR camera second-hand from a professional photographer on eBAY. I am loving every second of it. I have only used point and click cameras so far & this is my first digital camera.

I am using it with a 28-135mm USM IS lens, and the image quality is outstanding. I have used the camera mostly for portrait, arhitechture and macro photography. Magnifying images up to 8x12 have shown abs no issues compared to 35mm. I like the manual white balance feature and also the range of ISOs. Flash does a good job at night time.

I love the feel of the metal body, and have simply not been able to let go of the camera ever since I bought it.

The camera tends to underexpose sometimes even in automatic mode (also in manual mode), and I thought it was a problem with the lens. I am reading however, that multiple D60 users have reported this problem. This is a concern for me, but I have noted that every time the camera underexposes, the image on the screen catches it, so I can increase exposure to solve the problem. Another issue is AF hunting, although it is not so much of a problem as the underexposure.

May 2, 2004