Canon EOS D60

Image formats: JPG, RAW
Max resolution: 3072 x 2048 pixels
ISO 100-1000
Shutter speeds: 1/4000 to 30 sec in 1/3 and 1/2-stop increments
Built-in flash (Guide no: 12m/39ft ISO 100)
Flash synch: 1/200 sec
Continuous shooting at 3 fps
Interface: USB

Page:  1 · 2

Biotpolice

Registered: Apr 6, 2004
Review Date: Apr 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,515.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good easy to use rotary wheel controls. Combined with 550Ex Speedlight outstanding
Cons:
polarity of PC socket not compatible with some studio flash As mentioned in another review on here, Autofocus can hunt in lower lighting conditions. Don't always assume if the image on the LCD is crystal clear that the end result will be the same.

I currently use a combination of Mamiya RB67 and Nikon D1H at work for Crime Scene recording. I find the D60 more versatile and easier to use than the D1 and the quality far surpassing the Nikon. Given the choice I would use my own camera for scene recording but the conditions we work under allows for blown over tripods, excessive wind and rain and I value it too much for accidental damage.

I made the choice to purchase the battery grip and have the addional functionality in portrait mode and extra battery life. I am also using the IBM 1Gb microdrive without problem.

Auto white balance for the main provides good balanced averages for point and shoot photography but I particularly like having the control to easily select manual white balance as required and encourage people to use this as often as they can.

I mentioned briefly in the Negative points ( and this is not a slight on Canon) what you see is not always what you get on the LCD. Use the histogram as Digital photography often attracts noise and lost pixels.

Apr 6, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Biotpolice to your Buddy List
anderson

Registered: Dec 18, 2002
Review Date: Jun 5, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,135.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great color, lots of pixels to crop, excellent low noise characteristics. Smooth operation. Great battery life.
Cons:
AF, although it is easly worked around.

I've had the D60 since October of 2002. I knew it was going to be replace, soon, but I didn't want to wait untill all of the "bugs" were worked out of the new camera. The D60 took quite awhile for all the kinks to be cured and waiting untill the summer of '03 to get a good camera was not in the books.

Today, this is a GREAT value for anyone wanting to get into digital SLR's. The quality of the picture is awesome and the price is very good. Although I have experienced some hunting with the AF in very low light, it is not an issue for me. I shoot mostly outdoors and when indoors I usually have on an external flash with the AF assist so shots focus quickly. I see no reason to upgrade at this point. I would like to have the higher ISO of the 10D, even though I never use the high ISO's that I already have ... mostly shooting at 100 or 200.

Jun 5, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add anderson to your Buddy List
Paco Raap

Registered: Jun 30, 2002
Review Date: May 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Does the job I require.
Cons:
1] Low light shooting 2] Shutter release lag is something you have to get use too.

Bought my first Digital SLR coming from a Casio QV-3000 in June 2002.
Had to get used to the extra weight :-(.
For the pure amateur I am it does the job perfectly. He there are always occasions it could have been better but you have to start somewhere. I never regeted the purchase although the price has dropped dramaticly and new versions 10D are arrived. If I had to wait a whole year I had missed to many nice pictures and moments.
Was and still is worth all the money I paid for it. Ill keep using it till it dies.

Regards, Paco Raap webmaster of www.twf8.ws

May 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Paco Raap to your Buddy List
smackie

Registered: Nov 19, 2002
Review Date: Apr 22, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Gorgeous image quality. Low noise on long shutter speeds. Relatively good LCD. Illuminated focus points. Illuminated LCD.
Cons:
Slow auto-focus. Dim viewfinder.

I got my D60 back in October of 2002. Since then, I've probably taken 15K images with it. It's been a reliable and consistent workhorse. The autofocus *is* pretty horrible in awkward conditions. However, it's entirely useable if you don't provoke it. If you take the time to nail the exposure, the image quality is truly magnificent. Output at 13x19" is fuss-free and truly breathtaking. With a bit of extra work, larger sizes are possible and are nearly as good.

Some D60 owners have reported fairly extreme underexposures. My D60 will underexpose a little but I've found, in general, that the metering is pretty much spot on for the scene.

With the 10D stealing the crown of "Desireable Canon DSLR", the D60 is looking a bit unloved these days. However, it's still a solid performer and offers some amazing value in the used market. Until Canon offer an EOS3 based DSLR, I'm keeping mine as a companion to my 1D.

Apr 22, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add smackie to your Buddy List
Amit

Registered: Jan 1, 2003
Review Date: Apr 2, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros:
Cons:

Well, wasnt long since i bought my D60 myself. Its isnt a bad one either. I think I will wait a bit to do an upgrade. For now I am happy with what I get out of it.

Apr 2, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add Amit to your Buddy List
dbarthel

Registered: Dec 13, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Superb Image Quality
Cons:
Autofocus sucks

What can we say. The D60 was wonderful, even with it's warts until the 10D came along. All in all, I would highly recommend a used D60 for someone who can't go the 10D route. I'm on the fence, do I get a 10D, keep the D60 as a second body, or a 1D, since I do birds.

I don't regret buying this camera at all, even though 9 months later, faster, better, cheaper.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dbarthel to your Buddy List

Canon EOS D60