Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF AF

18 91871 Jan 24, 2013
8.3
1929NCP_180

Wide to telephoto 3.5x zoom lens ideal for landscape, full length portraits, travel and portrait photographs

Maximum Reproduction Range (R:R) at 85mm is (1:2) Life Size

Filter attachment does not rotate during focusing or zooming

Fast f/2.8 maximum aperture at 24m setting is ideal for available light shooting or Slow/Rear flash sync techniques

Page:  1 · 2

jefflee

Registered: Feb 23, 2005
Review Date: Mar 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast 2.8 wide speed fast focus for none AFS useful 1:2 macro Very sharp at both ends at f2.8-4 - 32
Cons:
Non-AFS for TC compatibility Cost (for a non-pro lens

Have used this lens as my "normal" and find it very useful. I think that early production problems must have been eliminated from my sample and this seems confirmed on other reviews I've read on other sites.

This is a fast focusing lens (esp. for non-afs). While it is fairly large at 72mm, I've found that it is very, very sharp wide open. I don't shoot many shots where straignt lines are important so I can't speak to that issue. But as a "normal" lens it is a real winner. On my D70, its a 35 2.8 which is very useful indoors. When paired with the SB800 the indoor shots are nicely illuminated, outside the fill flash is great. Nice range with the 1.5 digital factor, though I wish it was a little wider.

Biggest surprize: the Micro/Macro setting is a real tool. This lens is not only sharp in the Micro/Macro setting, the lens will autofocus right up to several inches from the element. It works and works well. This is the main reason I got this lens over the G version.

I compared the sharpness of this lens with my 300 f4, and find it similar. If you are looking for a fasting focusing, fairly wide range, sharp lens with the ability to take reasonable closeups, I would recommend this lens. Currently has a $50 rebate I think (03/16/05).

Mar 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jefflee to your Buddy List
travist

Registered: Feb 24, 2004
Review Date: Feb 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $560.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, fast focus, clarity, contrast.
Cons:
It's a bit bulky, the focus ring can be touchy. I've heard problems of bad lenses, though I couldn't be happier with mine.

I love this lens. It's a great all around lens for general use. It's quite sharp and fast. I've used it for a variety of shots and it seems to hold up really nicely under most circumstances. I would highly recommend this lens to anyone needing a great all around zoom.

It's the only lens I have on my d100 at the moment, and I don't feel constrained by it.

Feb 24, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add travist to your Buddy List

Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF AF