Nikon 400mm f/2.8D IF-ED AF-S II Nikkor

7 53945 Sep 24, 2011
9.8
2127_180

Very lightweight Magnesium die-cast construction body design (9.7lbs) with tripod mounting foot. Easier to carry and handle under demanding action conditions.

Exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor provides ultra-high-speed and accurate autofocus along with super-quiet operation. Fast, precise and accurate, this Nikon technology adds significantly to picture taking performance.

M/A mode provides instant switching from autofocus to manual focus with virtually no time lag, even during AF servo operation. A quick touch-up on focus without delay or slack response can make the difference between crisp sharpness, or just slightly out.

Optical design features three high performance Extra Low (ED) Dispersion optical glass elements to control secondary chromatic aberrations. Produces very sharp and high contrast images throughout the focusing range and at every f/stop.. Legendary ED glass ensures crisply sharp focusing throughout the color spectrum.

Closest focusing distance during AF operation is approx. 11.4 feet; provides reproduction ratio of 0.13. Dramatic close-up portraits that reveal details and textures are within this lens close-up range.

Also available in light grey - special order only; product #2128

WThiry

Registered: Jul 26, 2005
Review Date: Sep 24, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $6,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, Excellent Build Quality, Fast Focus.
Cons:
Like others have said, Two Piece Lens Hood.

I lusted after one of these for quite some time. I use to shoot Canon and once owned the 400 f/2.8 IS. It was a great lens, but its gone, and I've found a new best friend for shooting football and soccer. I've been using a 200 f/2 and a 300 f/2.8, but nothing reaches out and touches someone like a 400 f/2.8 piece of glass, with an AFS focus engine. The 200 is too short, but for low light situations its a must have. The 300 is great, but its too short for field sports. Yea you could add a TC, but they are hit and miss. I asked alot of questions before I bought this, and got alot of feedback. Some said get a 200-400, others said a 300. With a 200 f/2, a 300 seemed silly, and the 200-400 is f/4 and I can't make it f/2.8. So I took the plunge, and I'm glad I did. Thanks to all who contributed to pushing me in this direction. I guess the only thing better at f/2.8 would be the VR version, but I can't afford that much, but at this point I really don't care! If you can find one of these and its in good shape take the plunge, you won't be sorry.

Sep 24, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add WThiry to your Buddy List
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Jun 22, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp from f2,8 and onwards-(prefer it 5,6 its stunning..-) this is THE must have for pros making soccer,football and all kind of sports-. Made in Japan when its best.
Cons:
heavy and clumsy,some fiddling with the vr and alike- very expensive--

What can you tell about a King ? the fact that he is a real King in the business for sports,naturephotography and so on; and can live up to it in all aspects of modern photography is indeed real, and a joy to experience,the quality and result you get is absolutely stunning and I regard this Nikon 400mm f2,8 state of the art.
Its a proffessionel instrument and act like this,youll never be dissapointed.

-Other benefits;the fastness when you work with it on a Nikon D3,D3s and Nikons Pro Cams is fantastic and it nails the shot almost every time.

A true workhorse also.But heavy,be sure to use a good monopod and a bag with this monster.

Jun 22, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PJ Fish to your Buddy List
Jonathan F

Registered: Oct 17, 2006
Review Date: Jan 19, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: This lens is sharp for sharp! AFS is silent and fast. This lens is built to pro specs and is best used with pro bodies such as the D3 and D3X. It's 'light' for a 400mm 2.8 lens, probably the lightest of the bunch. It's also the last of aperture ring telephotos which means if your AFS motor goes out, you can still use it as an MF lens.
Cons:
As others have chimed in, the two-piece hood is a real disaster. The worst hood I have ever had on any telephoto lens I have owned. I absolutely hate the hood. The locking screws are very fragile and prone to break or thread. It's a $35 repair at Nikon. Because of the hood, I' have to deduct a point to the overall rating of this lens, due to little or no alternatives.

Jan 19, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jonathan F to your Buddy List
andreasb

Registered: Jun 29, 2005
Review Date: May 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The fastest AF of any Nikon lens I have tried, even faster then the 300mm F2.8 VR. As sharp as the 300mm VR, incredibly smooth details and Bokeh. Handes the TC17EII superbly, with the TC20 it is a bit soft. Pound for pound the best long lens that Nikon has.
Cons:
Heavy, REALLY Heavy. Stupid 2 stage construction of the hood with a dumb screw on connection to the lens, I absolutely hate it. The stock lens foot is very prone to vibrations. I have a Wimberlley foot on mine, much, much better.

May 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add andreasb to your Buddy List
jordanwd

Registered: Dec 15, 2005
Review Date: Jan 1, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: ...
Cons:
...

ps.. switching out the stock lens foot for the lowwer profile Wimberly foot makes the lens feel more dialed in and balanced on a monopod or tripod(sidekick) than the higher profile nikon does...

Jan 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jordanwd to your Buddy List
jordanwd

Registered: Dec 15, 2005
Review Date: Dec 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Af is very fast and accurate, extremely sharp at f2.8 and improves as stopped down to f5.6, takes 1.4 tc extremely well - sharp at f4 but i prefer f5-f5.6..tc 1.7 works ok w/ sharp images at f5.6 but preferably stopped down alittle more more very sharp images...easily hand holdable w/ a monopod attached (for me at least)...very well built...i absolutely love this lens !!!
Cons:
Wish it had focus recall button and vr like the 200f2 does..maybe nikon will one day include this.. rather pricey compared to its canon counterpart..but then nikons have a 5 year warrenty and nikon service has always done a superb job for me in the past..

Dec 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jordanwd to your Buddy List
Stripper

Registered: Dec 11, 2002
Review Date: Jun 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp. Wonderful de-focused character. Silent and very fast focus. Built like a brick you know what.
Cons:
Costs a fortune. Weighs a ton.

Let me start this review by saying that I do not own this lens, because my local camera store will rent it to me at a rate which would make me look like an idiot to buy it. I seem to be the only one who rents it soÖ

Anyway, for what it does, this lens is the fastest and most accurate focusing lens I have ever used. It is also sharp beyond sharp and delivers a bokah like a portrait lens. I have used it for field sports and racing. On my D2h body, it will follow a player running at me or diagonally across the field at full speed and it will follow an Indy car coming straight at me at 200 mph. The short DOF when it is wide open, or close to it is wonderful for isolating a subject from its background, and it remains plenty sharp wide open, although it seems a bit sharper at f4.

My only trouble with this lens is that it is really heavy. I like to shoot head-on shots of race cars hand held, because it is easier to follow the car than with the lens on a monopod. You really canít do it with this lens because of the weight. Lugging this lens around the track gets to be a pain and I am a big guy in pretty good shape.

At night and indoor events this lens is worth its weight in sharp pictures. I am not sure how much I will lug it around the race track in broad daylight anymore. I may opt for its lighter but slower 500 f4 brother.

Jun 24, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Stripper to your Buddy List

Nikon 400mm f/2.8D IF-ED AF-S II Nikkor