Nikon 200mm f/4D ED-IF AF Micro-Nikkor

7 80306 Oct 12, 2010
10.0
1989NCP_180

Legendary in the world of close-up photography, superior Micro Nikkor performance delivers images of striking clarity while providing reproduction ratios of up to 1:1 without additional accessories.
The extra long focal length of this lens provides the most versatile working distance.
Extra Low Dispersion (ED) glass ensures apochromatic-like performance, with high contrast and sharper images.
ED glass has been incorporated into selected elements for superior optical performance.
Internal focusing improves handling and focusing operation.
Focuses from infinity to 19.4 inches (1:1 reproduction ratio).
A-M (Automatic-Manual) switch.

f/Stop Range 4-32
Minimum Focus Distance 1.6'
Magnification 1:1

Budzzlife

Registered: Sep 24, 2009
Location: Saudi Arabia
Review Date: Oct 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,485.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: effective working distance, superb optic quality, deadly sharpness and color rendition,good focusing ring very handy, and a good back ground isolation.... over all it is a bomb.
Cons:
none so far

I have 105mm, 55mm AI-s nikkor, they are both always give a good image results, infact most of my macro are taken from these lens. I also used 105mm sigma. But I am always admiring the 200mm image result from other posters ever since; this lens is my dream lens come true. I bought it last year ago and the price was too expensive for me, but I am no bothered at all as long as I am happy to the output of my macro shooting specially in a distance specially for flowers macro shooting.

I am only using D40x to my macro right now after my D70s.

AF focus is very slow but very precise but in my macro photography era; I always used manual focusing which will give me more chance of placing correct DOF to my subject.

If you are looking the an excellent telemacro lens, regardless the price then it is the right one for you to have.

some of my sample image I posted here the links, i am quite busy working for now, so I am not shooting much for almost a year now, then they are taken after I just bought this lens.

see the sample images link below.

Budzzlife

Oct 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Budzzlife to your Buddy List
booter

Registered: Jun 5, 2008
Review Date: Jan 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent manual focusing, edge to edge sharpness, built like a tank. You get what you pay for with this lens.
Cons:

I was a macro fan back in my film days and finally went digital and chose to start over with Nikon. This is without a doubt the finest piece of optical glass I've ever used. Tripod mounted with a SB-600 or two run wireless from a D90 is a treat for small nervous critters. I also have the 60mm D micro and while it has it's uses, the working distance of the 200 is a major plus. At some point I'll probably break down and pop for a 105 micro as another handheld macro but not because I'm not thrilled with the 200.

If you are even thinking about this lens just bite the bullet and buy it, you will not be displeased. I have no idea how the AF works on this lens as I've never used it.

Jan 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add booter to your Buddy List
Toon de Smit

Registered: Dec 8, 2006
Review Date: Aug 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, tripod collar, enormous focusing ring
Cons:
week plastic ring to adjust Manual or Autofocus

Most of the time I use the Nikon 300mm f/4 AFS with the Nikon extension tubes for macro. Working distance is great and depth of field a bit more forgiving than the 200mm Micro.

However for smaller critters I started using this lens again. In combination with the D300 and D200. I am thrilled with the results. I always use a tripod and Mirror Lock Up. Sharpness is terrific. I donít miss VR and the tripod collar is sturdy enough.

See for yourself:

Sometimes I have a hard time choosing between the 300mm with the PN-11 and the 200mm Micro!

Aug 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Toon de Smit to your Buddy List
dgillilan

Registered: Jul 18, 2006
Review Date: Feb 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp images, sturdy tripod lens foot which rotates, strong build, ED glass, bright viewfinder, 18" distance from suject at 1:1. Excellent lens.
Cons:
Sort of heavy, no lens hood included(I bought one).

This is a terrific macro lens. I own two other macro lenses, the Nikon 60mm macro and the Tamron 90mm macro. This lens enables me to shoot insects at a good range away, 18 inches. The tripod foot is fabulous and much needed, not offered on many other macro lenses. The sharpness is unmatched - I can view hairs of an African Violet bloom with great clarity. The DOF is great with this lens also. I bought mine used, and it is expensive, but the features are worth it. I would buy this lens again.

Feb 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dgillilan to your Buddy List
LeifG

Registered: Nov 16, 2004
Review Date: Sep 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb optics, excellent build, huge focus barrel, solid tripod mount.
Cons:
Hood costs extra, fiddly AF/MF switch, not weather proofed. Not cheap but competitively priced for what it is.

NB: Tested on a D200 body.

This lens has outstanding optics, both in the macro range and at large distances. Images are astonishingly sharp on axis and at the corners, even wide open and stopped down. There is a slight softening at F16, and noticeable softening at F22, though the latter aperture is useable when DOF is needed. The macro image quality is a match for a 60mm F2.8 AF micro lens. The bokeh is smooth due in part to the long focal length and round (not angular) out of focus highlights.

By virtue of the long focal length this lens produces smooth backgrounds and has a large working distance, making it suitable for photographing wary subjects.

The lens has excellent mechanics with solid build quality. The focus barrel is large and easy to use. The tripod mount is very sturdy, and permits rotation of the lens though any angle. The AF/MF switch is fiddly to use and made of plastic (there are numerous reports of it cracking, which seems to be a design fault, which may or may not have been rectified). The focus limiter switch is easy to use, and restricts the focus range to either distant or close up. It's only really needed when using AF.

The only real issues are the lack of a hood, which costs extra, and which is required, the fact that the hood screws on, rather than the more recent and convenient bayonet fit, and the lack of weather sealing.

Oh yes, and the lens is fairly big and heavy, and the autofocus is slow, though that is not an issue for macro work where manual focus is the norm.

As a macro lens, this is superb, and I suspect that it is at least a match for anything on the market today. As a medium telephoto, the optics are very good, but there are more suitable choices with faster AF and a faster aperture.

I have numerous images taken with this lens on the World Photography Forum web site gallery under the user name Leif.

Sep 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LeifG to your Buddy List
Brendan Getchel

Registered: Jun 14, 2003
Posts: 1990
Review Date: May 15, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,349.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It's the whole package. The preeminent reference for all long macros. Image quality, contrast, color, and bokeh all combine to make this lens the legendary optic it has become. Build quality is exceptional. Nothing else even comes close.
Cons:
Price. The $1,400 price tag eliminates all but the most serious Macrophiles. As with any macro, full-throw AF is excruciatingly slow. It's a precision tool that demands flawless technique, and makes you pay if you don't have it. A tripod is mandatory to extract every last ounce of image quality.

While you COULD use this lens for other-than macro photography, why would you? It's designed for one specific purpose, and it fulfills its intention with legendary results. As a Canon shooter I own the Canon 180/3.5L Macro, and it's a wonderful lens which is not one wit shy of the Nikkor, yet still I'd choose the Nikkor every time given the choice. The punch from the 200/4 renders a stunning image that is simply unmatched by any macro lens on the market today. The massive focus ring works as though it's an extension of your hand. The tripod ring is so incredibly fluid when changing to portrait framing it feels almost hydraulic, for lack of a better word. Bokeh is breathtaking and can isolate your subject perfectly on even the most chaotic backgrounds.

As is the case with every macro I've ever used -- including the "USM" 180/3.5L -- AF is a virtually useless tool. It's OK for using on non-macro subjects, especially when the limiter is engaged, but I'd suggest leaving it on MF for most shooting. The ring is THAT good!

If you're infatuated with macro photography, move right to the head of the class with this lens. Don't waste your time with anything else.

May 15, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brendan Getchel to your Buddy List
dobrodude

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Review Date: May 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: on a dslr, an INCREDIBLE 300 f4 macro lens !!!!!!!!!!!!! Sharp, sharp, sharp. Great macro ability
Cons:
none, so far

7/6/03 update:
I was recently asked through email about the price paid for the lens, the guy asking where? at this cost...well, here's a disclaimer.....
I always buy my equipment used.... KEH (can I say that Fred?) or any number of other places like camera shows? Maybe, ...an online auction.
I guess I've been lucky so far.

This lens becomes an incedible 300mm f4 MACRO lens on a dslr, giving a fabulous 1/10" dof @ f4 and 2 ft !!!!!!
You better have razor sharp site for that. Talk about controlled selective focus..... I've filled the frame with a grasshoppers head and got just the tip of of one eye in crystal clear sharp focus. It's great fun for birds, concerts, camping and any macro you might try...
Get one, it's fun the whole family will enjoy !!!! Oh....try it for portraits or at a wedding....outstanding.

May 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dobrodude to your Buddy List

Nikon 200mm f/4D ED-IF AF Micro-Nikkor