Nikon 135mm f/2D AF-DC Nikkor

16 114262 Jun 9, 2014
1935NAS_180

Portrait lens with Nikon's exclusive Defocus Control.
Change the appearance of out of focus elements (circles of confusion) so that they appear larger or smaller
Rear focusing for fast AF operation
Large maximum aperture for shooting in low light.

more info from Nikon

Features unique Nikon Defocus-image Control technology, which allows you to control background and foreground blur for striking portraits. Autofocus capability. Large maximum aperture for shooting in dim light. Accepts 72mm filters. Built-in lens hood.

Note! AF not supported by D40 and D60 cameras.
f/Stop Range 2-16
Minimum Focus Distance 4.0'
Magnification 1:7.1
Angle of View 18 Degrees
Length 5.0"
Maximum Diameter 3.1"
Weight 1.78 lb
Usable Nikon Teleconverter TC-14b (manual focus only)
Usable Nikon Teleconverter Tc-14b (Manual Focus Only)

millenas

Registered: Jun 8, 2014
Location: United Arab Emirates
Review Date: Jun 9, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Using a Novoflex adaptor, this lens on my Sony A7 just performs beautiful. Outstanding. Easy to use with manual focus and peaking features. Very sharp. Gorgeous color rendering. At F/2 performs superb, a little bit soft but nothing alarming.

Jun 9, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add millenas to your Buddy List
recordproducti

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Sep 23, 2012 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Nice overall image quality.
Cons:
Stacks of purple fringing, not as sharp as I was expecting (may have had a rogue copy).

I had wanted this lens for a long time so my disappointment was more extreme than it may be for others on finding it wasn't really *that* good.

I was using mine on a D800e so maybe people with less demanding sensors wouldn't notice? As an example, my 14-24 and 24-70 easily beat it in terms of sharpness, AF accuracy and lack of serious purple fringing. I have owned 85L's and am used to using fast primes and know to expect a certain amount but this was truly off the scale.

The shop I got mine from were very helpful and they took my copy and compared to another copy and reported that both were the same. Maybe they wouldn't want to admit I'd got a 'duff' copy but they seemed to think all was fine. Anyway, after further testing I returned it and got the 35 f/1.4 which is superb.

To be fair to the lens it does produce a very nice 'look' but with my copy it finished there, no sharpness and too much fringing. Very sad :-(

Sep 23, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add recordproducti to your Buddy List
goobers

Registered: Jan 21, 2012
Review Date: Mar 13, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, sharpness, excellent build
Cons:
contrary to some reviews, i would love for the AF to be slightly faster

I rented the 135mm f/2.0, 180mm f/2.8 and 200mm f/4 before settling on purchasing the 135mm. Two factors drove this:

Weight compared to the other 2 lenses and being able to handhold the 135mm in any scenario was a big selling point for me. While I found the 180mm f/2.8 to be very sharp, I preferred the bokeh on the 135mm and the sharpness is equally as good (to the naked eye).

I've noticed some minor color fringing every now and then, but it has not been consistent enough for me to be thinking about getting a different lens.

If you're looking for a great portrait lens, with fantastic bokeh, excellent sharpness and a solid build (with built in metal lens hood) this is a great buy.

Mar 13, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add goobers to your Buddy List
Pom Pom

Registered: Oct 11, 2011
Review Date: Oct 11, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: compact, sharp, incredible bokeh
Cons:
purple fringes, no VR

My main portrait lens. Everything look great with this, razor sharp at f2, smooth bokeh, fast, built like a tank.

For me the choice between the 135 and 70-200 was the size and weight : I don't want to carry all day long the zoom beast for street portrait photography. And even if it's big, the 135 is a little more "discreet".

A few drawbacks, like purple fringes on high contrasts, AF fast but not always accurate on moving objects (but maybe its the camera). VR could also help a lot, its hard (or impossible) to take low light handheld pictures, unlike the 70-200.

DC was probably great with films, but your can do nearly the same post-processing stuff with digital.

Still I'm in love with this lens.

Oct 11, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Pom Pom to your Buddy List
Kheng89

Registered: Dec 11, 2010
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Mar 3, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $980.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, sharp, sharp, sharp, wonderfull bokeh, accurate, fast af
Cons:
damn heavy, the hood (not sweet for eyes)

buy while it's available..

Mar 3, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kheng89 to your Buddy List
cs750

Registered: Jan 27, 2010
Review Date: Jan 31, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This is a great lens. I have been using it for about 1 1/2 years mostly for landscape. I agree with all other reviews, but I want to make the point that this is really a great landscape lens
Cons:

Jan 31, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cs750 to your Buddy List
jlnewland

Registered: Dec 12, 2009
Review Date: Dec 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Spectacular bokeh, sharp wide open, built like a tank
Cons:

The ultimate portrait lens? I go back and forth. For portrait use, I have, or have owned, the 135, the 105 version, the 85 1.4, the 105 VR and the 70-200 VR.

Each has its strengths, and each is excellent. But the 135, like the 85 1.4, has a sort of magic that's hard to describe. This lens is specifically designed for portraiture, and it is built to do two things really well: render great skin tones and provide beautiful bokeh. As for the latter, it's everything you hear -- better even than the amazingly good 85 1.4 and the 105 F2 DC. I can't imagine how bokeh could get any better, and it REALLY makes your subject pop, especially if you don't have an ideal background.

So is this better than the 85? Depends. If you're using an FX camera and you don't need to get a lot of the model's body in (or if you have some room to back up), then I prefer it. The reach is great. But for some things, I prefer the 85. I love that it has a full extra stop and that you can carry it 24/7 without strain because it's so small and light. I also like that the 85 can focus to 3 feet (4 feet is minimum for the 135).

I've written before about how underrated (IMO) the 105VR is for portraits. For absolute color fidelity and truth, it's a rock. And it makes up for being a stop slower by having VRII.

But if bokeh is your thing, this is truly the best I've ever used. as creamy as the 85 can be, I'd rate this lens higher.

I'd say to buy one while you can. I was able to get a UK model used (in new condition) without spending a fortune. Mine, by the way, is a pre-D version, and it makes NO difference to me. I use off-camera, manual lighting, so the distance information that "D" provides is meaningless. The D version also has an extra glass element on the very rear, apparently to further reduce dust entry. But I've had no problem whatsoever with that. This lens seals tight as a drum on my camera.

Overall, it's an easy 10 of 10. And if you can find one, it's even worth its full retail price.

Dec 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jlnewland to your Buddy List
like_this

Registered: Jun 3, 2009
Review Date: Jun 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at f/2 and extremely sharp at 2,8. Dreamlike Out of focus area.
Cons:
somewhat imprecise AF (Compared to the AF-S 2,8/80-200mm)

Compared to the excellent AF-S 2,8/80-200mm the 135mm DC is sharper at F/2,8.

The controllable "Out of focus area" is a very nice feature, but you need experience to apply the DC-funktion useful.

The Rearfocus AF is fast, but compared to the AF-S 2,8/80-200mm slower and somewhat somewhat imprecise.
Compared with the AF-Nikkor 1,8/85mm the 135mm DC focalize only a little bit slower.

The greatest lens for portraits.

Jun 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add like_this to your Buddy List
Bubble

Registered: Jul 20, 2006
Posts: 1991
Review Date: Apr 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: extrememly sharp
Cons:
learning curve for DC.

I was using Canon for the last 5 years and love the 135L with 1ds mkIII. I was worry that i can't find the same lens in nikon line up. After reading and research between Nikon 105 DC vs 135 DC, i end up with 135DC. Couldn't be happier.

Sample image for this lens:

Apr 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bubble to your Buddy List
unohuu

Registered: Apr 19, 2003
Review Date: Mar 31, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: It is sharp...It is fast to focus on the D2x. It produces some of the most beautiful portraits I have seen.
Cons:
It is heavy.

I have been using my longer lenses more for portrait work. The kit 28-105D just has not given me the results that I want. I had forgotten the 85 f/1.8 at home recently, but had this lens in my bag. I took it out, attached it to the D2x and was 1) amazed at how quickly it snapped into focus and 2) what stunning results I had. I have since started to play with the DC on the lens. More information regarding this feature later.

Mar 31, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add unohuu to your Buddy List
D.K. Owens

Registered: May 6, 2007
Review Date: Dec 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,059.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality of the lens is awesome. Ease of use, dynamic resolution and contrast make this glass stand apart from anything else in the Nikon line-up.
Cons:

Having used the Canon 135mm F/2 for most of my portrait work, I recently purchased the Nikon D3. With that pruchaes I dusted off lenses I consider to be the best of their class... 17-35mm and 28-70. While excellent lenses in their own class (wide and medium) I needed something that would compare with the Canon 135. A friend suggested that I look at the Nikon 135mm f/2. When I did the reviews I was blown away by the positive feedback.

The DC "Defocus Control" for controlling front and rear aspherical effect, the bokeh, the speed and AF seemed to make the lens a charm for potrait work. After I tested it on my D3 at the store I was impressed. Patrons couldn't believe how beautiful the camera was with this glass hanging on it. Once they saw the pictures I'd snapped in the viewer, one lady walked up to the register and bought one without every holding or testing it. Now there's a testimony for you!

Highly recommended; it won't disappoint. Oh, by the way, did I mention speed? This lens points, focuses and shoots very quickly in both indoor and outdoor sports events.

Dec 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add D.K. Owens to your Buddy List
avfoto

Registered: Mar 12, 2007
Review Date: Mar 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, boke and beautiful f2.
Cons:
Not really.

This is my main lens for portrait wherever I shoot !!!

Martin
www.avfotografia.es

Mar 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add avfoto to your Buddy List
nikonjunkie

Registered: Aug 25, 2005
Review Date: Aug 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: f/2 is awesome.
Cons:
weight makes it a little much for the D70s. Perfect for the F5

You just can't beat this lense for what it does. Stunning results and I'm enjoying the soft focus feature as well. I would definatly spend the money again. Perfect for portraits, basketball, and weddings.

Aug 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nikonjunkie to your Buddy List
phiggys

Registered: Apr 7, 2004
Review Date: Dec 9, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast wide aperture gives you a bright viewfinder good in low light, images are razor sharp or as soft as you want them to be.Build and optical quality are second to none.
Cons:
Lens hood is a little on the short side. And its heavy due to the quality build.

I purchased this lens because I have the Canon 135mm f2.8 Soft focus lens for my eos.
I realy liked the images I was able to take with it.
And wanted to be able to cpture the same kind of images with my Nikon gear.
I have also found this to be a good lens for both indoor and outdoor sports.

Dec 9, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add phiggys to your Buddy List
Chipouille

Registered: Sep 10, 2004
Location: Afghanistan
Review Date: Nov 5, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, built from solid rock, controllable bokeh, superfast AF, well balanced, soft skins and sharp details all together....
Cons:
Lenshood too short, DC use not always obvious

Perfect skin tones, very selective sharpness, excellent contrast but nothing brutal. It's perfect for portraits, low light use, concerts, and even closeups if you want : the minimum focus distance is very interesting. (but not a macro lens)

Metal everywhere, AF is incredibly fast with any Nikon body, even and old F801-s ! The manual focus ring is soft, progressive, almost like the good old Ai-s lenses...

Sharpness is very, very good at f/2, and absolutely perfect at 2.8. No improvement beyond, only more DOF. You can shoot Astia 100F or Velvia 50 (+1/3 for portraits, don't forget) and totally exploit these films in terms of sharpness at 2.8 !!

Too bad the Lenshood is so short, but no big deal : almost no flare in this lens !

Nov 5, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chipouille to your Buddy List
mspringfield

Registered: Nov 1, 2003
Review Date: Dec 29, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent low light lens, DC, extremely sharp, light weight makes it easy to use for long periods.
Cons:
shallow DOF can cause AF to "hunt" at extreme angles

Wonderful lens. Probably my favorite lens in my bag. Excellent for low light action/sports photography in addition to portraits.

Dec 29, 2003