Nikon D1X

Page:  1 · 2

JoeArndt

Registered: Jan 23, 2004
Review Date: Feb 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,400.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Nice camera, yes. I like the pictures it takes.
Cons:
Built like a tank? If I hear this one more time, I'll puke. The rubber comes off this camera, repeatedly. Is that built like a tank? I've had my Nikon cameras in the shop twice as much as my Canon stuff. Go figure. I had a D1X with a 60mm micro attached fall 1.5 feet from a nighstand onto a floor. The focusing screen popped out and some other stuff came loose inside. Built like a tank? Pulease stop with these cliches. By comparison, I practically threw a D100 six feet down onto concrete, and it escaped with one tiny nick out of it. The D1X is NOT built like a tank. The outer covers of my arsenal of tanks do not regularly need repair.

Feb 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JoeArndt to your Buddy List
Peter Kelly

Registered: Jan 17, 2004
Review Date: Jan 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Built like a tank. Relatively simple to cross over from Nikon F100 or F5.Nikon quality and metering. High flash sync.
Cons:
Battery life could be better. Dust is a constant issue. Probably could use a mp boost to compete (Nikon D2X?) in today's market

I have had my D1x for more than a year and taken some 8000 images. I love the feel and handling of this camera. The learning curve from a F100 was short.
The camera is built like a tank and I need this feature as I am prediposed to dropping it, kicking it or falling over it on a fairly regular basis-- still looks like new.

Exposure is excellent WB takes a little time and experimenting to get right and flash is better than I expected. I am not a great flash photog and the ability to review and do it again if necessary has helped me considerably. I think that the photography learing curve is much accelerated when you shoot digital.

The dust problem is a bit of a menace and you need to get comfortable doing the CCD cleaning with a spatula and cleaning fluid.

Although a bit outdated now this is a still a very impressive camera

Jan 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Kelly to your Buddy List
Peter Kelly

Registered: Jan 17, 2004

Although a bit outdated now this is a still a very impressive camera

Jan 20, 2004
fotografz

Registered: Mar 11, 2003
Review Date: Dec 20, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,800.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fantastic camera IMO. Shot weddings with two of them for a couple of years. Never failed me once. Flash system is almost idiot proof. Provides access to the wonderful Nikon 28/1.4 and 85/1.4 which to this day are some of my favorites.
Cons:
Just a tad to small of a sensor. Lose any super-wide ability (since corrected by Nikon with new lens offerings). And just couldn't squeeze out major crops that needed to be printed larger.

I would recommend this camera to anyone, even though I have since switched to a Canon 1Ds for its full frame sensor. The D1-X is built like a tank, handles well, has a great flash system, and with the right selection of lenses can really perform. I am also of the opinion that the Nikon Wide Zooms are superior to the Canon counterparts in terms of barrel distortion.

I also believe, based on using both systems extensively, that the Nikon CCD can be pushed further than the Canon CMOS sensor in terms of low light verses noise. I once grabbed a snap shot of an unexpected emotional moment at a wedding after I had shut down the flash. When I opened the file it was just about black. On a whim, I clicked auto levels in PhotoShop and was shocked to immediately get a useable image.

Dec 20, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fotografz to your Buddy List
danielson53

Registered: Jul 24, 2003
Review Date: Nov 4, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great 20" prints, top notch build quality, easy to use coming from my F100, the 1.5x factor, handy as a weapon in late night city shooting
Cons:
I wish it had a few more pixels but that's just me wanting the best of everything :0)

I've had my D1x for about 3 months now and I am very pleased. I spent a lot of time researching before putting my money on the table and I think it is well worth doing if you are planning on shelling out this much moola! So if you are reading this and are thinking of get one, then don't take my word for it (or anyone elses for that matter), go out to a shop and try one out. Hire one for a coupla days. Read lots and lots of reviews (not the photography mags though, never trusted them). Anyway, to the D1x....

Build Quality & Design

It's a superb camera. The build quality is ridiculous. It would make a good weapon if someone tried to mug me :0) Coming from an F100, I've found it exceptionally easy to use. I had a play with it in the shop before I'd finally bought it, and in the space of half an hour had figured out the majority of the in's and out's of the camera. Nice and simple.

Metering

As for the metering, I've had nothing like the problems that I have read about (especially in flash metering). I think it takes a little time to get used to how the camera responds in certain situations, but that's to be expected isn't it? But then, I have always used spot metering a lot of the time. I just don't like giving up all the exposure control to a camera....people may have a different experience from me if they leave the camera on matrix metering and snap away....i just don't know.

Image Quality

As for the prints I get from it, I've been pleasantly surprised. I've had some 20" prints done which are indistinguishable from 35mm IMHO. True, my 35 year old Rollei SL66 will beat the crap out of it when it comes down to pure sharpness and image quality, but as long as you realise that, then be happy! On the other hand I've got some cracking shots at 1600 and 3200. Grainy as hell but very film like grain. I shoot a lot of band/music photography and always used to push Tri-X to 3200 to get the big golf ball grain that I love for certain shots...you get my drift...

And as for the smaller CCD, I just got a free (ok, not free, but you get my drift) 300mm f2.8 thank you very much. :0) And with the addition of my new 12-24mm (which I must add, is a stellar lens) the smaller CCD is starting to look pretty handy actually. Ok, I would like a slightly bigger viewfinder, but I have quickly got used to it.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble....

My photography has already improved as a result of this camera. I've taken shots I never would have dreamed of trying with my F100, and have got some great images as a result. My costs have dwindles away to near nothing for a lot of my assignements, my fee....the same. Nice :0)

It's not perfect, but name a camera that is. Overall, I can't recommend it enough....and I can't wait till the D2x comes out whenever that may be.

Cheers

Dan

Nov 4, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add danielson53 to your Buddy List
bellyface

Registered: Mar 17, 2003
Review Date: Apr 7, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,999.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast, rugged, bright, firewire, great nikon quality.
Cons:
battery, low light shooting, limited iso, menus are strangely laid out. Nikon software is fine on PC, suck on mac. Nikon capture is $130 additional. Needed to finetune raw files, remote capture.

I use nikon at work, and canon personally. Great camera but somewhat old school now. Battery has unusually low frame count. All in all built like a tank, but the firewire port needs to be rethought. Have repaired twice due to cheap firewire port.

Apr 7, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bellyface to your Buddy List
erikff

Registered: Sep 8, 2002
Review Date: Apr 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A great camera. Rugged build and easy to use. Great software support from Nikon and continued development on the camera (memory upgrade and firmware upgrades)
Cons:
rubber grips.... replaced them twice already and they keep peeling off

I love my D1x !

Apr 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add erikff to your Buddy List
mrdinh

Registered: Dec 26, 2002
Review Date: Mar 31, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 97% is all good!
Cons:
The remaining 1%= weight 2%= better nikon approved way of cleaning ccd 3%= full frame

At first when I picked up this baby, wow!...First impression this is very solid, worth every penny. Originally I had me eyes on the D100, but with the vertical grip and all. It weight almost as the D1x, so I had to consider the D1x. Weight is a concern, but with the shots I get, I forget about that usually. Every function is almost automatic and with little delay. I dropped it a couple times already by accident of course. Nothing, still ticking. But the 28-70 glass attached is in repair now. Come back home soon please. Reading and writing is awesome too. I tried 512mb media as Ridata, Sandisk, and Crucial. All seem to work well. Ridata give me a little bit probs ie, freezes my camera once in awhile. But very cheap and fast card for the most part. There is a bit of noise in long exposure and high iso. But can be dealt with using the proper software. I can go on and on but I won't bore you. In summary, awesome, awesome and awesome. Nikon might take a while to get new cameras out but when they do you got to love them.

By the way if you have any specific questions, you can email me personally or post here of course too. I know I didn't have a complete review of everything.

My 2cents.

Mar 31, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mrdinh to your Buddy List
Sectarian

Registered: Jan 26, 2003
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, Reliability, Quality
Cons:
Limited low-light capabilities

My D1X is 18 months old now, and I've shot over 50,000 frames with it. This is a camera that ages like fine wine.

The all-around speed of the camera (boot up, Firewire transfer, CF card writing, focusing, shutter lag, playback) is world class. The build quality is excellent.

What makes this camera special, the reason the wine analogy holds, is the way Nikon has extended its utility over its lifetime. The Buffer RAM upgrade is especially notable, increasing JPEG capacity to 21 shots at 3fps, and RAW capacity to 14 shots. The upgrade also activates WA capability, increasing CF card write speed to over 2500kbps on WA enabled cards.

The D1X is compatible with Nikon Capture, Capture One, Adobe Camera RAW, Bibble, Qimage & other RAW image processors.

The addition of D1x support to Capture One is significant, output is exceptionally noise free and sharp.

Nikon Capture Editor enables several nice features, even though its color rendition is not as good as Capture One or Adobe Camera RAW. Nikon Capture Editor allows automatic compensation for vignetting, it allows complete tethered control of the camera, and it allows non-destructive editing of RAW files, allowing one to save new settings within the original file.

Nikon Capture Control, which allows tethered shooting, is fantastically fast. The speed with which the camera processes files and sends them through the firewire link really shows how CF card technology is far behind the camera's capabilities.

The D1X is notable for its unusual approach in its CCD design. The native resolution of 1324 X 4024 allows rendering of images at 2616x4016 pixels. In marketing lingo the D1X is a 10.5MP (effective) resolution camera. The difference is that on the horizontal axis the resolution really is there...4016 pixels. The catch is that certain types of images can really take advantage of this, but not all images. Human vision is biased towards a horizontal viewpoint (no surprise there), so landscape orientation photos from the D1X are actually perceived as being sharper than portrait orientation images.

The way things are today:

The introduction of Canons latest DSLRs have diminished the allure of the D1X for low-light photography. For exposures over 1 second the new Canon offerings have an unrivaled signal to noise ratio. The 10D is a price leader and the 1Ds is a performance leader. The Kodak 14n has more pixels than any other DSLR camera for those shooting strobes, or in broad daylight. On the other hand the D1X has proved to be an incredibly reliable camera, and its overall speed and build quality make it an exceptional value for its current retail price ($4000). It is not compromised by age...it is a well-balanced, versatile system. If you don't shoot at night, and you want a tough, fast camera capable of producing 12"x18" prints and shooting at 3fps for 14 frames in RAW mode, a camera that can really take alot of abuse...the D1x is still a compelling choice.

Mar 30, 2003