81 91699 Jul 1, 2010
1D

Sensor: 4.15 megapixels
Max resolution: 2496 x 1662 (Canon RAW format)
Lens conversion factor: 1.3x
Focus: 45-point Area AF w. One-Shot AF, AI Servo AF, and Manual Focus
Exposure: Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Depth-of-Field, E-TTL Flash, Manual
ISO Range: Equivalent to ISO 200-1600 (in 1/3 stop increments)
Max burst rate: 8 fps for 21 shots in Large/Fine
Magnesium alloy chassis
"Most extensively (weather)protected camera in its class"

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

Duane E

Registered: Jul 6, 2004
Review Date: Aug 14, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Only the best camera ever made!! Perfect for everything especially sports photography. A true gem! Probably the best value on the used market.
Cons:
Absolutly NONE!!!

A truly remarkable piece of equipment. This camera allows you to do things that you thought were impossible. If you are in the market for a DSLR, grab this one!! I would have been happy if I paid twice as much! This is without a doubt, the BEST camera on the market!! Even better than the MarkII that replaced it.

Aug 14, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Duane E to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Jul 11, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing build quality, brilliant photographic ability, files aren't ridiculously huge, very very fast.
Cons:
EATS its battery. If you're even semi serious you will need at least 2 batteries. Ummmm, that's it!

Blimey, this thing is incredible. I used to have a T90, but bought a prosumer digicam as a stopgap. I do a lot of low light photography and the old digicam couldn't really focus at all well. I have just had my first week with a EOS 1D and a 50mm f/1.4 and all I can say is wow! The images it produces are fantastic, really well coloured, and so natural looking. It's just like having an infinite supply of film - rather than having to suffer the normal loss of quality that digital brings.

I only have the MK I but I don't need 8MP and honestly, this images this thing produces will change what you think a 4MP camera can produce. I was sad when I sold my T90 to try and pay for this thing, but I have absolutely no regrets. I love it! Anyone want to buy me the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS? Smile

Jul 11, 2004
Review Date: Jun 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything!!!! Speed, Picture quality, color accuracy
Cons:
heavy, battery life..when using all the features including IS lens's

Awesome from the start. Have had this 1 year now and have captured images never before possible! The 8 FPS is staggering, the sharpness of images outstanding, and to this day one of the few cameras that actually gets color accuracy correct, 99.9% of the time!!

Don't be fooled by 4.1 MP....laugh at others 8MO cameras when you show them the quality of what the 1D delivers. Prints awesome up to 24x30!!

Great new software to enhace the images and CCD noise ( vs CMOS) so good that this camera can outdo a 1D mkII !!!!

If you ever get the chance to own one...run, don't walk...you won't be sorry.

Jun 24, 2004
ultimate

Registered: Sep 26, 2003
Review Date: Jun 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, beautiful pictures, feels nice in your hand.
Cons:
Heavy

I absolutely love this camera. I don't know what it can't do. I love that it is almost instant on. It focuses quick and in low light. It shoots rapid fire. It's just great. I use it for weddings, for sports, for kids, for fun.

Jun 12, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ultimate to your Buddy List
Jaymanpics

Registered: Apr 26, 2004
Review Date: Jun 11, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: AF,METERING,HANDLING,8FPS,1.3x crop & EASE OF USE
Cons:
No facility to zoom when reviewing shots

Had mine for almost 9 months now and can honestly say my only gripe is the inability to zoom when reviewing shots.
The camera has fantastic AF speed with my L glass and the clarity of shots at high ISO speeds puts film to shame.
Some folk whine about the lack of pixels but the again that's why Canon have the 1DS,I for one am happy enough with quality from this camera and have had many 30x20,24x20,18x12 enlargements made which leave people gobsmacked when I tell them the shots came from a 4MP DSLR

Jun 11, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jaymanpics to your Buddy List
Storkborg

Registered: Nov 8, 2003
Review Date: Mar 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast autofocus, great build quality, 1.3 crop, 1/500 flash sync, large viewfinder and well.......8 fps.
Cons:
The menu takes a little getting used to. (I upgraded from 10D). Green cast in standard tone curve. No image zoom. Makes me wanna buy all L lenses!

Wow!!! What a camera! I had a 10D and I liked it but I knew that the 1D was better. I had to buy it. It's not only a little bit better. It's a whole LOT better. I will never sell this camera. Not even to buy a 1D Mark II. I quite like the file size of the 1D and the 4mp quality is enough for me.

Mar 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Storkborg to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Feb 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super autofocus, build quality, 1.3 crop, rugged body, weather resistant.
Cons:
No zoom in review. Addictive. Difficult menu system (when used to a 10D menu)

Upgraded from a 10D. It may be pointless to say, but the 1D is a far more capable picture-taking machine. Extremely fast and reliable autofocus system. All the cutomization one would ever dream of. And I honestly think that the picture quality rivals that of the 10D. Although the 1D "only" has 4mp vs 6mp in the 10D, I think the resolution is better in the 1D

Feb 13, 2004
leicaman_99

Registered: Feb 11, 2004
Review Date: Feb 11, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I find this camera to be one solid reliable brick of a camera. When our newspaper bought these, we were the only one in our marketing group to get Canon gear as we already had Eos 1n gear. We had a substantial investment in L long glass (ie the 300 & 400 F2.8 L lenses) and we felt it was worth it not to change systems. We have been very pleased overall. Relatively low ISO 3200 noise (looks better than film ever did at that ISO), quick reaction time, clean viewfinder and easy to use controls are hall marks of this camera. Great weather sealing is also very import and was done well on this camera.
Cons:
The only thing I can think of not liking is the LCD's non zoom feature. Even my Canon G3 does this, and I am sure the Mark II no doubt will have this feature. After over a year of daily usage the only thing we have had to replace are a couple of rubber eyepieces. We may replace the Nicads battery packs as the two per camera we bought at the time of getting the cameras are getting less able to hold a charge. We were among the first kids on the block to get these cameras and the company had to shell out serious money to get these due to the being just out.

It turned out to be a great camera to transition to as I had many years of using a Canon Eos 1n. The controls are in familiar places for me. The results of course is why we bought the system. Very nice files. Very clean ISO 1600 with 3200 being very acceptable. ISO 3200 is available via a custom function. As I am also responsible for production work on Eos 1d image files at our company, the files seem to be very noise free for the most part. Even now as the Mark II is out on the market place, I would suggest this as a great alternative to the 10d. From what I can see in pricing, it really is not that much more expensive used or new than the 10d. Don't let the slightly small file vs the 10d fool you, the file is very high quality. The best advantage of this body is the hair-trigger response it has. I have gotten action shots I have had only hoped to get when I used the film based Eos 1n bodies and before that my manual focus Nikon system.

Feb 11, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add leicaman_99 to your Buddy List
Brendan Getchel

Registered: Jun 14, 2003
Posts: 1990
Review Date: Dec 19, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good golly, this thing is FAST! Each of those "measly" 4MP give there ever-loving all. AF points? "I got your AF points right here!" If it were sealed any better, it'd have "NIKONOS" printed on it. Tons of controls, but logically placed. A mere 1.3x FOV crop brings "wide angle" back to mere mortals. The 1D is the Nirvana of action-shooter's dreams.
Cons:
It's basically a heavy brick that takes pictures. At 2+ years old, it's beginning to show its age -- though gracefully. Image noise is higher than most "modern" dSLRs. The LCD is sub-par, and there's no image zoom or auto-rotation.

If I had bought this camera when it was first released, it would get a full 5/5 rating. However, since I only recently acquired it, and in light of more current bodies out there, it's just beginning to show its age.

Naturally, this thing lives up to its speed and build-quality hype. 8 FPS is something that everyone should experience at least once before dying, it's that much fun. Aside from a handful of relatively minor issues (to me), the camera has aged more-than gracefully, being a veritable dinosaur in techno-years.

The 1.3x FOV crop factor is a welcome dose of relief from those of us migrating away from the heavy 1.6x factor in Canon's consumer dSLRs. Slap a 17-40 or 16-35 on this puppy and you're shooting true wide-angle again. This also makes the 1D viewfinder far less claustrophobic than that of the 10D I came from -- so much so that you can actually manually focus with reliable results. While it may be no 1Ds, it's still in another universe by comparison.

Image writes happen at over TWICE the speed of the dog-slow 10D, and you'll need every bit of that speed if you let this thing rip. AF speed is so fast you'll think it is wired directly to your nervous system. Handling is vastly improved over the 10D as well, as it's made for pros who demand fast setting changes in the heat of intense action.

Image quality, as has been stated ad nauseam, is surprisingly good for a meager 4MP camera. Every last drop of quality is wrung from each of those mammoth pixels. There are both moire and noise issues that will crop up if you shoot the 1D long enough, but these are universally-known issues that you understand coming in, and will have to deal with them as you would any "issues" with any other dSLR. Even Nikon's new, mighty D2H (another awesome body) has the same noise and moire issues.

Battery life is a bit of a disappointment when you come from both a Nikon D100 (the undisputed king until the D2H came to town) and, to a lesser extent, the Canon 10D. Safely expect 500 shots per properly-conditioned, fully-charged battery.

If you can justify the 100% premium over the 10D that the 1D garners, and adjust your "more megapixels must be better" thinking, then don't bother to settle for the 10D (a respectable body with good image quality),

The 1D is to the 10D what Dom Perignon is to Manischevitz.

Dec 19, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brendan Getchel to your Buddy List
frankie

Registered: May 10, 2003
Review Date: Sep 19, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like a tank, every thing that i could wish for ...............And More............
Cons:
None at present

Having owned this for 3 months i am so pleased that i got rid of the D60 and 10D as they were to slow for sports like moto-cross even with higher resolutions, the 1D Chip still make up for it in quality for big prints.Fantasic camera and canon keep up the good work.

Sep 19, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add frankie to your Buddy List
traveler

Registered: Jan 8, 2002
Review Date: May 28, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Focus Speed, Build Quality, Custom Feature Set, Color Accuracy, Exposure Consistency
Cons:
N/A

A superb professional tool. While NO product is without some foibles, this one seems to be about as ideal as possible. Once one is familiar with it's setup possibilites the capabilities of this camera become evident. The issues I've read that people have had (moire and banding) are sporadic and IMHO NOT a global issue. In all to many cases it's more a case of misuse or not fully understanding how to extract the best of what this camera is capable of. All in all, with current price reductions it remains at the top of it's game in the industry in so many ways. I do not limit my use of the camera, and today still use it for not only wedding and portrait shoots, but outdoor landscape and action shooting. AFAIAC it is equally capable at ALL of these tasks. Some will just argue issues such as resolution and print size capabilites. I have not felt any restrictions in either area. For professional product shoots as well as large portrait shots it works just fine and continues to earn it's keep keeping clients happy.

May 28, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add traveler to your Buddy List
Brandon Mizar

Registered: Jan 5, 2003
Review Date: May 25, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,999.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF Speed, 8 FPS,
Cons:
No Zoom on LCD

I use this camera to shoot motocross racing. I went from the D60 to the 10D to this. Man this sucker is 10,000 times faster then my old cameras. This thing will lock on to anything in a split second no matter the lighting condition. I really love this camera. I cant wait until the replacement for this camera. Hopefully we will have 8 or 9MP and a zoom on the LCD.

May 25, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brandon Mizar to your Buddy List
smackie

Registered: Nov 19, 2002
Review Date: Apr 22, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality. Professional build quality. Auto-focus speed and accuracy. Low shutter lag. Frame rate. Solid user interface.
Cons:
Horrible LCD. No zoom in image review. Battery life. Noise with long shutter times.

I bought my Canon 1D for action and nature photography. In those roles, it's been truly fantastic. It pretty much lives with my 300 or 70-200 attached to it in my bag. I did worry a bit about the 4M sensor size (I also have a D60) but it's been a non-issue for a lot of my work so far. As other folks have mentioned, the image quality from the camera in RAW without tweaking is really superb. The build quality really inspires confidence. My 1D is used outside all the time and in some pretty horrible weather. It's been solid and inspired nothing but confidence since I got it.

At the current price range of $3400, there's pretty much nothing that can touch it for "active" photography.

Apr 22, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add smackie to your Buddy List
Jack Flesher

Registered: Oct 23, 2002
Review Date: Apr 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed. Frame rate speed, CF write speed, AF speed, shutter-lag speed, and "use it subconsciously" speed.
Cons:
Weight?

I love this camera. It is built like a tank, handles like an extension of my mind, and delivers exceptionally clean and smooth images. The 1.3x crop factor is a plus for sports, action and wildlife photography.

Apr 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add Jack Flesher to your Buddy List
Tony Sirgedas

Registered: Jan 25, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: speed, focusing
Cons:
no zoom on image review

I was shooting sports/action with a D30 and therefore missed alot of shots while the camera hunted for focus. I knew within the first three shots I had made a good choice moving up to the 1D. After using it for two months now shooting tournaments it has already paid for itself and change. I used to take 70 shots of a basketball game and get 30 keepers, now it's 100 shots with 90 keepers......... glad it's not film.

The only thing I miss is being able to zoom in on the LCD image review to double check the images, but then it's not off very often.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tony Sirgedas to your Buddy List
Ben Horne

Registered: Jan 9, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Built like a Tank, Can be bought for about 3k now
Cons:
None I can think of

If you're shooting sports or P/J subjects, this is the best camera currently available. In news print, the images will print about 11x17 w/o any interpolation -- the files are huge.

I would expect a replacement to the 1D within the next year or two, but that will just drive down the price of this camera. Some complain about the 4MP resolution, but for the intended use, 4MP is very good. I highly recommend this camera.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add Ben Horne to your Buddy List

81 91699 Jul 1, 2010