86 125233 Jun 25, 2012

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

uz2work

Registered: Mar 3, 2004
Review Date: Mar 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,430.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: quality of images, 1.6 crop factor for users of long lenses, ease of use, ability to use Canon IS lenses, relatively low price, good performance at higher ISO, rugged construction
Cons:
1.6 crop factor for wide angle shooters, 1.1 USB (neither of which really affects my use of the camera)

I have had my 10 D for about 4 months and taken over 10,000 pictures
with it. I could not be more pleased with my choice. While some may
nit pick about some of the characteristics of the camera, they must remember that they are talking about a $1500 camera and not a
$4500 or $7000 camera. If Canon put all of the features they could into
the 10D, I don't think that they would be selling many 1Ds and 1DII model cameras.
The quality of the images that my camera produces are outstanding.
Some have complained that the camera doesn't have the most advanced auto focus system. Perhaps I just got a good one, but mine
focuses precisely and does not have any of the front or back focusing
problems that others have complained about. Also, since the kind of
shooting I do leads me to virtually always use the center focusing point,
the 7 point focusing system does not bother me.
For nature photographers who shoot with long lenses, the camera is
ideal. It makes my 100-400L lens into a 640mm lens and my
500L f4, into an 800mm lens. It sure is nice to be able to buy a "640"
mm lens for the price of a 400. It is equally nice to be able to carry
around a "640" mm lens at the size and weight of a 400. Even though
the 500 is big and bulky, it is manageable and gives me an "800"
mm lens that I can actually, for short periods, carry around and hand
hold. The crop factor also makes it nice to be able to have an f4 lens
that can be carried around and can reach 800mm.
The camera is also quite rugged. A couple of months ago, when I was
trying to take a picture of a bald eagle from close up, I had to maneuver
to get the light behind me. In doing so, I slipped on some ice and
fell quite forcefully to the ground. I landed squarely on the camera
and my 100-400L lens. I was anticipating having to send one or both
of the camera and lens in for service. Both servived without the
slightest damage.
The 10D also performs well at higher ISO. It does so well at ISO 400
that I rarely shoot below that level. In poor light, ISO 800 will still
give decent results. I have not really used the ISO 1600 or 3200
settings much so I can't comment on their performance.
Recently, I have considered moving up to the 1DII, but, while I have
not made a final decision, I'm not sure that, for the kind of shooting I do,
it would be a better camera for me. While it would be nice to have a
burst rate of 8 1/2 frames per second and a buffer of 40 frames, 3
frames per second usually meets my needs, and I've only exhausted
the buffer a couple of times. Especially, if you shoot in jpegs, by the
time you've shot a burst of 9 pictures, a couple have been recorded.
Thus, the effective buffer is more than 9 frames. Additionally, for
those who shoot nature photography, the challenge is to fill up the
frame with the subject. Even with a 500mm lens and a 1.6 crop factor,
I'm often cropping pictures. If I were to get the 1DII, because of its
1.3 crop factor, if a 1DII picture were cropped to the identical field of
view as a 10D picture, it would only have 5.4 million pixels left. Thus,
the 10D allows for more room to crop with its 6.3 million pixels.
Obviously, if I were doing a lot of wide angle shooting, my feelings about
the crop factor would be different.
In short, for $1500 or anything close to it, there is no other camera
that comes close to the 10D.

Mar 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add uz2work to your Buddy List
mhsam

Registered: Jan 11, 2004
Review Date: Feb 19, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent images. Color is great, handling is great
Cons:
The only little bug is that it does not have a ISO readout in the viewfinder. I'd prefer the exposure settings to stay on a few seconds longer too.

Made the switch from a Elan 7E so there was not much of a learning curve BUT......

The exposure latitude is much smaller than film so it took a couple hundred pics to get the hang of it (they are free pics so it cost nothing but I lost a bunck of shots...).

I thought a 28 mm would be wide enough as I did not use it much when I had the Elan but I will have to get a wider lens.

Otherwise, construction, images, handling is all top notch.

Was also looking at the D100 but was not as happy with the images. The D100 seemed to have better flexibility but now that I'm used to the 10D's handling, it has not been a problem.

I have the 28 - 135 lens which is very versatile (aside from not being quite wide enough).
Would I buy it again? Absolutely!

Feb 19, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mhsam to your Buddy List
deevee

Registered: Mar 12, 2002
Review Date: Feb 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent image quality solid body excellent battery life nice lcd zoom
Cons:
small viewfinder coverage small lcd awkward af point selection

i've had this camera for almost a year now,upgraded from a d60. I always like this smaller body style with builtin flash as opposed to the heavier, bigger, and sturdier EOS 1D series even though that series offer quite a bit more in terms of features and build qaulity. This is not to say that the 10D is not sturdy, it's the best built camera of its price range imho, full metal body, very nice to the touch.
I like the builtin flash, it's not for all use but it's hily convenient for cases where u need fill flash, and i do that a lot, so another reason for buying this camera vs the pro series.
the image quality from the cam is nothing short of spectacular, even at iso as high as 800 and in long exposures which is the strength of the canon CMOS. This is reason alone to get the 10D vs the competition; Canon has almost worked the CMOS to perfection by now as opposed the CCD from the competition. The images tend to be smooth, film like and full of details. I'd prefer to have a little more dynamic range but u can always use PS highlight/shadow feature to enhance the results.
The LCD 10X zoom factor is a nice feature to have; only then can u really see whether ur pics are sharp or not since the LCD is rather small and don't have enough pixels. I normally set the LCD brightness to 2 levels only as to best represent the final images.
For the price the camera is an excellent buy , perhaps the best buy out there , even today close to a year since its inception but it is NOT a perfect camera in any way.
The AF is clumsy when it comes to selecting AF points, especially the vertical ones; for sports, the AF may be a bit slow for fast moving objects.
While I enjoy the 1.6x crop factor at the tele end , i missed the wide focal at the wide end; my 17-40mm can only be as wide as 28mm; i'd prefer at least 24mm at the wide end and the 16-35mm is a little soft at that end. If you shoot landscapes a lot, then a 1.3x crop may be a better choice.
The WB manual or auto needs some improvements, it's hard to get the right colors w any setting , especially indoors with incandescent lights.
Spot metering is sorely missed but I can get around it by using other metering methods and bracket
A few things on my wish list I'd like to see in the next generation of 10D:
- improved dynamic range
- a brighter 100% coverage viewfinder ( i miss my F-1 bright viewfinder badly)
- a larger LCD w more res for better reviewing accuracy
- an improved faster AF and AF selection (use joystick a la Contax)
- a smaller or lighter body still
- spot metering addition
- better WB
- a 1.3x crop rather than 1.6x for wider focal lengths
Saying that, the 10D has served me well and the key thing here is image quality, and it delivers the best short of the EOS 1Ds ot the new 1DMk2 for now ...until Photokina maybe ;-))

Feb 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add deevee to your Buddy List
Antje

Registered: Aug 18, 2002
Review Date: Feb 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Feels solid, ok menues, easy to use dials, has all the features I need, great accurate colours, very good image quality
Cons:
ISO setting not displayed in viewfinder - accounts for some of my noisier pics... Sometimes I hate the write speed. Viewfinder could be better. Would have liked a spot meter.

A lot has been said about the 10D already, I'll just add my $0,02. Smile This is not my first SLR, I've owned a EOS 1000F and I have learned shooting with that really low-end camera. That's why I liked the 10D from the start and still do.
The camera feels very solid, it's very easy to hold and is heavy enough to feel comfortable with a heavy lens attached. The mount feels as if it's going to accomodate even heavy telephotos. The LCD is sufficient for what I'm doing, though I don't rely on it for DOF, colour and contrast - that's what I use the histogram for. The histogram is very handy, btw, it really helps in determining the correct exposure. Dials and menues are ok, though I'd wish for a better way to enable mirror lockup... It's not really a bother, though.
But how's the image quality? I actually like it very much. Given a good lens to work with, it provides sharp, smooth pics with accurate colours, and noise is very low up to ISO 400. The AF has been commented on a lot, but actually, coming from a low-end camera, I think the AF is sufficient for a camera of this class. The area it focuses in is bigger than one expects from the look of the boxes, that takes some time getting used to. The AF likes to lock on contrasty things, that's why it ends up focusing on the twig and not the bird, but that's true for AF in general. And the AF isn't as accurate as the 1D's - sure, that's why the 10D costs less.
One thing that does bother me sometimes is the viewfinder. My eyes are pretty bad, and thus I find it hard to focus manually with the 10D. With a split-focus screen it's no problem for me, but with the 10D I do have to rely heavily on the AF. Works out most of the time, though.

What I really miss is a spot meter. I often end up adjusting the exposure manually when I could just spot meter the subject and be happy. But that's maybe a pro feature I traded in for the lower price. Smile As is weather sealing. How I would love to be able to take it out into the rain without wrapping it like a Christmas present - but to be honest, I don't even own a weather-sealed lens so that's just a dream.

All in all, the 10D produces good, sharp photos with accurate colours, is quite easy to use and a good choice for anyone not willing to drop the extra cash for a pro body. It isn't perfect, there are things I miss, there are shot have missed because of inaccurate focus, but that's really really rare and would have happened to me with almost all non-pro bodies. I'm glad I have it and I'm having tons of fun with it all the time.

Feb 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Antje to your Buddy List
Mr645

Registered: Jun 7, 2002
Review Date: Jan 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Excellent image quality, awesome performance at higher ISO settings, even delivering very clean images at ISO 800. Excellent E-TTL flash control, solid build, great battery system, great lenses
Cons:
Poor AF performance, poor software, slow in camera processing

Overall the 10D is a very capable camera, but like any camera it has uses which it will excell at and others it will perform poorly at. I love the high ISO performance. I won't hesitate to go to ISO 400 even for portraits and for 8x10 or smaller, 800 delivers 18MB files that are very clean. Pop on a 550EX and you cna walk around snapping away and get consistant exposures which is a first for a Canon D-SLR. The camera feels great in your hands and with the grip and 2 BP-511's you can fire away 600-700 shots before running out of juice.
The AF system is reponsive but not very accurate. Forget using F2.8 lenses wide open, the AF is just not accurate enough to reply on. It will quickly get you within a few inches so shooting at F8 is great but try something fast, wide open and be ready to manually touch up the focus. Canons RAW image processing is weak but hopefully getting better, faster. Fortuantly shooting hi-res Jpegs yields the same image quality, you just have to be careful about setting color balance when shooting Jpegs. The 10D also processes image in camera much slower then the D60 does. The LCD respondes slowly and if shooting fast, the buffer can easily fill up. The D60 does a much better job of keeping the buffer clear. Overall for $1500 it's light on the wallet and delivers image quality that is on top of the 6MP SLR offerings, at least until next month in Vegas.

Jon

Jan 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mr645 to your Buddy List
TwoBoy

Registered: Jan 10, 2004
Review Date: Jan 10, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, features, ease of use, well laid out menu's, controls are functional for big hands also, wide range of accessories, battery pack, remotes, car charges etc. I have had no problems and the fact that I can switch lenses from my EOS30 and back is a plus also. International warranty. Mine gives me the perfect platform for both Canon and Sigma EX lenses I use for Wildlife photography and the low light capability makes shooting at waterholes very easy in low light situations.
Cons:
I find the viewfinder difficult as I wear glasses. The eyepiece extender - sold as an extra - is "worse than sh---y" - Canon should sort this out.

Go and get yours now!

Revised after 12 months use (07/09/2004):

I am particularly pleased with the cameras performance under all light conditions. Battery life is great, really impressive.

Happiness is a 10D with a 100~400 IS USM L Lens. Add a 1.4 x II Extender for this lens also. Added a 28~300 L IS USM lens to go with it. This camera has now travelled many miles, seen 13 countries and been well used in Africa's dust and heat banging about in a 4x4. It has paid for itself in terms of film saved. It is robust in the extreme, image quality is excellent with Canon "L" lenses and Sigma "EX's" but standard Canon lenses like the 28~135 (really rotten lens) are to be avoided like the plague with this camera - buy the "L's" and "EX's" only - they are worth every penny even though they hurt the bank balance. The in-built flash is a waste of time - buy a decent flash to go with it - 550EX works well for me. The 10D experience has been nothing short of excellent in every respect.

The 10D is now selling at bargain prices - you cannot go wrong by buying them even though they are theoretically obsolete. The quality of prints obtained means you can blow up to 64 x 48cm or even bigger quite comfortably with excellent results.

I was going to buy another 10D but the 20D is available to me next week so I will buy that.

Bought the 20D and the 10D stays no matter what. The 10D is a well proven workhorse of the highest standard, no matter the hype over anything else.

Jan 10, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add TwoBoy to your Buddy List
fletcher8969

Registered: Jan 7, 2004
Review Date: Jan 7, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build. Excellent image quality at almost all ISO speeds. Lots of custom functions. Priced within reason.
Cons:
Slow write speed. Crapy software to convert RAW files.

This is my first digital SLR. Previously, I shot pretty much everything on an Elan 7. The transition has been very easy. Those two camera have so many similar features. I enjoy the flexibility of changing the ISO without having to change film. Converting RAW files it a bit tedious but the quality of the images is amazing compared to anything that I've ever scanned off film. I realize the Digital Rebel is now out and delivers virtually the exact same image quality for $500 or $600 less but the added controls of the 10D are worth it to me. The 10D seems to focus as well or better than my Elan 7 does so I'm assuming the focusing problem has been handled or I got lucky. I've enjoyed shooting at night with this camera. I have never had the same success with film in night shots. This digital medium seems to be much easier to use for long exposure shots at night. I've gotten a little frustrated with the write speed. I couple of times I've had to wait for the camera to write before I could take another shot and missed something but that makes up for a very small part of my shooting. Being able to observe the result so quickly after shooting is a great advantage to me. It a lot easier to catch little mistakes and improver my overall skill with the camera. Overall I love this camera and I'm rapidly falling for digital altogether.

Jan 7, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fletcher8969 to your Buddy List
Arka

Registered: Jun 13, 2003
Review Date: Dec 20, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Rock solid build, even better than Canon claims it is. Great feel in the hand, and controls are easy to use. Outstanding image quality, with great high ISO performance. EOS mount. Pop-up flash for emergencies. Low price. Long battery life.
Cons:
The camera is WAY too slow. Preview is extremely slow, startup is laggard 3 seconds, and writing to CF card is also slow. AF tends to hunt, and is rarely trustworthy on the first press.

I have a special place in my heart for this camera, as it was my first dSLR, and it has taught me well and continues to do so. But I feel obligated in a review to share my observations of the shortcomings, and there are many.

The camera sets the standard in dSLR image quality at this price point, with incredible detail and a reasonable 3 FPS framerate. High ISO performance is also exceptional, superior to anything produced by Canon or Nikon at ANY price point.

the AF ends up being the weak link in getting good images, however, as it cannot keep a moving object in focus very reliably at the max framerate. Even through very wide apertures, the AF tends to hunt around at least once or twice before locking down. And it gets even worse in low light or low contrast situations. Focus issues are exacerbated by the fact that it is hard to manually focus through the small and relatively dim viewfinder.

The camera feels as if it was hewn out of a solid piece of metal, and is very comfortable in the hands. Body rigidity is impressive and will make any plastic-bodied SLR feel like a toy by comparison. And even though Canon does not state it (and I do not endorse trying it), the 10D can even deal with a very light drizzle and keep on ticking. Controls are laid out logically, except for the DoF preview button. use of wheels instead of buttons is a welcome touch, and makes navigating the camera interface simple and intuitive.

Unfortunately, as well designed as the camera is, it is so sluggish in terms of overall performance that I often find myself fighting with its unwillingness to do anything in a reasonable period of time. On the one hand, it is a shooting priority camera, and it switches from preview mode to capture mode at simple push of the shutter button. Shutter lag is VERY low, and it gets ready to shoot very fast from preview mode.

But the camera is extremely slow at power-up. It takes 3 seconds for the camera to come alive, and while this is pretty good compared to consumer point and shoot digicams, it is unacceptable in a prosumer dSLR costing this much. Also frustrating is the inability to preview images while the camera is writing to the card. This is an infuriating problem if you shoot RAW bracketed. It can take upwards of a minute to write a 9 frame burst of RAW files to the card, and during that time, you cannot preview images OR access menu options. Thankfully, you CAN take more pictures, but that is about it. Even if the camera is not writing to the card, images are slow to appear in the preview window, appearing fuzzy at first and then sharpening up on the second pass. It takes about 2-3 seconds to display an image, and if you are cycling through images, this can be a real drag.

Metering is fairly accurate, though the exclusion of a spot meter is just baffling. Viewfinder information is quite complete, though it would be nice to see ISO information either in the viewfinder or on the LCD display on top.

Overall, I cannot say that I regret purchasing the 10D. It has energized my photography and I have learned (and re-learned) a great deal after using it. I still love going out and shooting with it, and I doubt I will ever sell it. However, it is far from a perfect camera, and I am anxiosly awaiting a successor from Canon that addresses the shortcomings of the 10D and 1D model above it.

Dec 20, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Arka to your Buddy List
mskad

Registered: Sep 20, 2002
Review Date: Dec 17, 2003 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Incredible low noise, even at high ISO. Color accuracy and overall image quality. Construction. Price. Buffer and burst rate.
Cons:
The AF system on this camera is a joke. Small viewfinder doesn't help for manual focus.

I would like to love this camera, but the AF is such an issue that I can't. I had to send it 3 times to Canon to have a barely usable AF that is still back focusing from time to time. In the meantime, I bought a second body, hoping that the first one was just a lemon, but same thing: back focusing issue with all my 5 (Canon) lenses. I sent it back.

Don't expect that you will be able to manual focus either. Not with this kind of viewfinder. I tried the angle finder C and it works fine, but obviously only with still subject.

Other than this ridiculous AF issue, the the image quality is fantastic and the camara would have been othewise a dramatic improvement over the D60.

I'm hoping now that Canon will release the mythical 3D or whatever they name it so I could get rid of the 10D.

Dec 17, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mskad to your Buddy List
Aleksi

Registered: Oct 7, 2003
Review Date: Nov 22, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, Image Quality, Ergonomical, Heavy (yes it's a pros to me)
Cons:
Havent noticed any cons, well not yet anyway.

Allright, for amateurs and proffessionals this is a great camera. Okay, it's not 11.1 Megapixels, it dosent cost your home, wife, children and it might not be that big. But still, it's a great camera for everyone who wants to shoot good quality photos in digital format.

Few things that are must when you buy this camera:
- Battery Grip, gives you the pro feeling, more battery life and vertical shooting.
- Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II or the older version, it's a must!
- Macro lense (i havent bought one, but i think this camera needs one)

And the price! Woah, a pro digital camera under 1700 . Can't bealive it? Check it out your self.

Yours,
Aleksi M

Nov 22, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Aleksi to your Buddy List
chris78cpr

Registered: Aug 27, 2003
Review Date: Nov 18, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, 6.3mp chip, Image Quality, Build Quality, Good noise control, 9fps buffer, EF lens system, Ease of Use, 1.6crop - Sports, Wildlife, etc
Cons:
Occasional AF accuracy, Canon FVU, 1.6crop - Landscape, people, etc

A significant improvement on the D60 and a great camera to use. One of canon's best camera's! If you are considering this over a d100 then just look at the lens lineup, i mean canon's EF system has one of the most comprehensive line up that can cover every shooting system!!! IS is a great big advantage to canon to!!!

The only think i dislike is the supplied raw conversion software, i find it very akward to use and lacking in features compared to other alternatives, eg. Capture 1 and Breezebrowser.

Nov 18, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add chris78cpr to your Buddy List
Wheaty

Registered: Mar 3, 2003
Review Date: Oct 20, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, build quality, price point, features, relatively bright viewfinder, 9 frame buffer.
Cons:
1.6x crop, small viewfinder, RAW conversion software (FVU).

Simply an excellent product from Canon.

If you do plan on purchasing this camera, you should seriously consider purchasing a RAW conversion package like Capture One LE or use dcraw with Fred's linear action. The Canon RAW converter (FVU) simply does not cut it.

Oct 20, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Wheaty to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Oct 8, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,249.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ergonomics, picture quality (with qualifications - see below), build, price
Cons:
1.6 crop, small viewfinder, 6v pc limit, image qualty with average lenses (see below)

The 10D is in many ways a strange beast, a year before it's launch a camera of this quality at this price would have seemed impossible. Canon have made some compromises, particulary the use of an average quality focusing unit (I bet they regret that now) and the absence of a spot meter, which I don't use anyway. The focusing is fine from a stop or two down though and auto-focus is a luxury I'm not used to anyway coming from medium and large format.

IMHO the thing that stands out most about the 10D is the difference in quality obtainable by using good lenses over average ones. Put a standard Canon consumer zoom on this camera and you may well be disappointed with the results, put a good 'L' lens on and it is an entirely different story, fantastic medium format-equalling quality can be the result, my feeling is that the smaller sensor needs more 'information' from the lens than film did.

That is not to say that the results out of the camera are perfect, post-processing is de regeur with the 10D. I always use RAW and Breezebrowzer to get the finest quality I can. It takes some work but it's worth it. Others will espouse Capture One and others but I have not tried them so can't comment.

I have a few 'beefs' though, what is the point of giving us a pc socket if it can only take 6v ? My standard-issue Elinchroms put out 12v so I need a Wein safe-sync in the hot shoe, so why bother putting the pc socket there.

I really don't like the 1.6 crop either, it makes the viewfinder image small and I find myself constantly trying to work out which lens is which by mentally multiplying by 1.6. The sooner they manage to build standard size sensors at a sensible price the better. Using wide angle lenses as standard just isn't the answer, they are not built to do the same job.

The 10D is fantastic, requires an amout of re-learning and is the shape of things to come in photography, no doubt. Buy one.

Oct 8, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
bellyface

Registered: Mar 17, 2003
Review Date: Sep 14, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: EOS lenses, bright viewfinder, PC sync, fast enough buffer, FAT32 file system, free raw software, nice build quality, great ergonomics, excellent noise even at ISO1600, good battery power. all this at a mere $1499.
Cons:
1.6x crop factor, no grid lines, no wireless remote, no firewire, no gps, focus not quite as fast or responsive as EOS 1N, or 1V, canon doesn't have buy one get one free program :-)

At work I'm in nikon mode, cause that's what I shoot with, a D1x in the studio and a D100 out and about. This obviuosly doesn't mean anything except I love my canon EOS 10D, it's images rival these 2 other cameras, noise is lower, speed is actually faster... except for the firewire deal.

If you are lloking for the best deal in a D-SLR, get an EOS 10D. That coupled with a Canon L zoom lens or prime, you've got a camera that will give you the "shooting feaver" like you had with the old AE-1. If you are a wide angle shooter you might want to sport for 14-17mm lens, if you're a telephoto shooter, even an 85mm will be good for you (135mm)

The one thing I ask Canon... give me better OSX software. You're software sucks.... give me firewire.... give me another 10D....

Sep 14, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bellyface to your Buddy List
rextilleon

Registered: Jun 22, 2003
Review Date: Sep 13, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Image quality, camera build, ergonomics, ISO options
Cons:
CF card writing, no spotmeter

It's amazing the variety of opinions you get on this camera. I am convinced that it's one great crap shoot--you either get one that doesn't have focus problems or you get one with focus problems. I am one of the lucky ones and am very pleased with the images the 10D captures. I fully understand those of you who dont feel the same way---You just weren't lucky.

Sep 13, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rextilleon to your Buddy List
Canonizer

Registered: May 21, 2003
Review Date: Sep 12, 2003 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: Good noise control in higher ISO ratings, relatively decent build, good AWB.
Cons:
Unacceptable AF issues, slow writing images to CF cards (does not support CF write accleration technology), sluggish fps, LCD nearly useless in sunlight (my digital point-and-shoot LCD is much better), images on the soft side and require extensive Photoshop manipulation, slow USB 1.1 camera connection

I review the 10D as the owner of two of them, and not so by choice. My first 10D had a serial number beginning with 04xxx, my second began with 06xxx. The purchase of the latter was made necessary by the legendary 10D AF issues. Unfortunately, even this desperate measure failed to help.

My first 10D consistently front-focused. I sent it back to Canon with sample images, and they agreed it needed adjusting. In the interim, I purchased another 10D, thinking perhaps Canon had gotten it right over time. Silly me.

The first 10D came back from the factory focusing correctly. Much to my surprise, they actually fixed it. The second 10D had back-focusing issues, and I immediately returned it for a refund. But the story does not end happily ...

Only two months later, the first 10D returned to its front-focusing behavior. Well, I had read many others post here and elsewhere with the same experience.

This issue alone qualifies the 10D for my "poor" rating and is responsible also for my not being able to recommend the camera to anybody. This camera has cost me more images, angst and frustation than any other I have purchased over the past 30 years.

Without hesitation, I urge you to avoid the 10D.

Sep 12, 2003