92 125024 Jun 25, 2012

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

Fredrick

Registered: Jun 9, 2003
Review Date: Jun 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It's a solid, well-made piece of equipment.
Cons:

Others here can comment more intelligently than I regarding the specifics of the performance of this camera and how it compares to similar cameras. So, I won't review it from that aspect.

I've owned mine for nearly a year now, and I'm very pleased with it. I began 3 years ago with an HP P&S, then moved up to a Minolta Dimage 7, now I have the 10D.

The 10D, compared to my earlier cameras, is much more sensitive and demanding; much of that is due to my using it exclusively in manual mode and to shooting in lower light situations. It's very sensitive to inside light color and temperature mixes, especially at ISO 400 and above. Outside, that's not as much of a factor. I use custom white balance as much as possible except in sunlight. So I use Levels and Color Balance a lot in PS, also ColorWasher or ICorrect to deal with color casts.

I haven't had the focussing issues that were so much discussed earlier (are they still?) One caveat, though about focussing: you WILL learn to get the most out of your lenses' focussing capabilities, again because there's less (more?) room for error because of the camera's greater capabilities.

I use the 28-135 IS 90% of the time along with the 75-300 IS and a little with the 100MM macro. These are good lenses, but not, apparently, the best lenses; I have an inherited hand-tremor that make the IS necessary.

But there's an upside there too: otherwise, I'd have a bunch of L-grade primes and lens cases and stuff and then I'd REALLY hear it, "What? Again with the packages from B&H?" Smile

Would I recommend it to someone else in my shoes? Absolutely. Are there issues to nit-pick about? Sure! I hear that the lack of a spot-meter is bad, so I suppose it is; but I really wouldn't know.

I'm too busy shooting and shooting to care about no stinking spot-meters, man!

Peace to ya'll

Fredrick

Jun 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fredrick to your Buddy List
jupiter

Registered: May 17, 2004
Review Date: May 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wonderful pictures (low noise, good resolution); Very good build quality; Ergonomics is quite nice; Fast Autofocus
Cons:
Lack of a spot-meter; the Viewfinder could be better

I have been using film SLRs for a five years now and was anxious about getting the same feeling on a digital camera.
Coming from a Minolta Dynax 7, my expectations were quite high, especially regarding to ergonomics and metering. I am shooting mostly nature (trekking, wildlife...)

The 10D does not disappoint me.
The ergonomics is pretty nice. I have often heard that the Dynax 7 is among the best cameras in this area; but I immediately felt home with the 10D. I wished the viewfinder could be larger; however I can do manual focus with no real problem so I think this is not a very important complaint.
The autofocus is blazingly fast (with a 17-40 L). AF time is virtually unnoticeable.
The metering system has one drawback (which is the main limitation the camera has shown to me until now): there is no spot meter. However the center metering system is usable as an "approximate spot meter". I also noticed a tendancy to slightly overexpose; maybe it is just my unit, and it is not so bad anyway.

The build quality seems very good. The 10D is a little heavy, but the feel is very good, since it is well balanced and feels solid. Obviously the mag alloy body (and also the pentaprism viewfinder) explain and justify the price difference compared to, for instance the 300D.

The start up time is a little slow; but it is easy not to remark it: turn on the dial and then remove the lens cap and it is on! The review mode is also a bit slow but it is not too bad. The speed while taking picture is amazing. The 9 frames buffer is more than enough for me.

The image quality is very high, with good resolution. The dynamic range is also a pretty nice surprise to me (after my previous experience in digital photography, with a canon G1).
The noise starts to really show up at ISO 800 only and is no problem until ISO 1600: I will avoid to use ISO 1600 and H.

I have not much experience with the onboard flash, since the only lens I own right now does not allow me to use it without getting a shadow in the lower part of the picture. Though, I tested it, in order to asses the flash metering system. It is quite consistent, with a tendancy to overexpose, which can be corrected thanks to the FEC.

Overall, my conclusion is that the 10D is a great choice, good value for money.
Obviously more expensive than the 300D, but the extra control and the better build quality justifies the cost difference.

A very good choice.

May 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jupiter to your Buddy List
Review Date: Apr 22, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,375.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent construction, wonderful pictures
Cons:
A little heavy when you add on the lens but otherwise, I have nothing negative to say

After using a digital camera for the last couple of years, I wanted to explore the use of a digital SLR. After discussing this with colleagues who are photography enthusiasts, we had agreed that the EOS 10D was a good option. After using it for the last couple of weeks, I was very impressed by the results. I do want to mention that the lens you use makes a huge difference. The written instructions were quite easy to follow - something I am not usually good at doing. Great camera for a new hobby.

Apr 22, 2004
Review Date: Apr 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great build quality (magnesium body), greatly improved AF over D30/60, slightly larger buffer than d30/60, super clean images at 100 and 200. Really usable images at up to ISO 800/1600.
Cons:
(1) I am not 100% excited with the Canon flash system. (2) Canon appears to have put a much slower buffer in the 10d over the D30/60. (3) Long exposures (over 4 minutes) exhibit more noise than D30/60 shots. (4) 1.6 FOV is a royal pain...Full Frame, please.

I purchased the 10d about a year ago when the camera first came out. The 10d really provided what Canon promised in the D60 - a beefed up camera with double the resolution of the D30 with a truely enhanced AF system. The magnesium body is a nice enhancement - and the camera definitely feels better in the hand then the D30/60. NOTE - Canon should have come out with an enhanced Big-Ed battery grip that allows all of the buttons of the 10d.

The 10d focuses much faster and much more accurately than either the D30 or D60 did. Some people have complained about poor focus with wide apertures - this has not been my experience with either of my bodies.

Image quality is nothing short of spectacular. Colors are accurate and images are very clean. Dynamic range is limited - and this is one area that I would like to see improved in all Canon models. Images shot at ISO 100 and 200 are superb. 400, 800 are very good - and 1600 has been used with success in the past. The D60 and 30 were not very good after ISO 400 (IMO).

The buffer is larger than the D60 (9 images instead of 8), HOWEVER, they appear to have slowed down the buffer speed. I had noticed that it was taking longer to write to my CF cards. Canon also does not support Lexar's WA cards - a big loss, IMO.

Things I would like to see different? A larger sensor. The 1.6 FOV is a real loser - and I am hopeful that Canon will put the EF-s back into the basement from which it came. A larger buffer would also be very nice.

Thanks! I hope this helps.

Apr 12, 2004
Review Date: Mar 25, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,425.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great build, feel, look, etc. well worth the upgrade from Rebel, flash comp., custom feature galore, this is not an upscale Rebel- it is a 10D period, PC synch, brighter and bigger viewfinder, much more to say after i have it longer than a few days.... Price..
Cons:
Price.... no strap eyelet on the side, instead it is on the bottom so body does sit flat (nit pick)... no 18-55mm (damn EF-s)... metering could be a tad better, but maybe i need to as well....keeps me up at night thinking about it :-)

Nikon man since '78.... got a Rebel in Nov. ....liked it alot. Wanted the flash comp mostly, doing alot of street photography and its sonecessary to not have that plastered look everytime you fill with the flash (none on the Rebel). Got it on tues and haven't looked back once - now i really feel it was worth the extra bucks for sure. The Sigma is fairly sharp for the price it is a must for wide angle sGonna have alot of fun with this. Shot in barns, working farms, silos, farmhouses, etc on tues. & wed. - printed up one shot and know i made the right upgrade- well worth it. On my 1g card i got 26 more frames than my Rebel- oh well- i'll take it!.... i will be finding out more reasons to love it more, soon.

Mar 25, 2004
uz2work

Registered: Mar 3, 2004
Review Date: Mar 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,430.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: quality of images, 1.6 crop factor for users of long lenses, ease of use, ability to use Canon IS lenses, relatively low price, good performance at higher ISO, rugged construction
Cons:
1.6 crop factor for wide angle shooters, 1.1 USB (neither of which really affects my use of the camera)

I have had my 10 D for about 4 months and taken over 10,000 pictures
with it. I could not be more pleased with my choice. While some may
nit pick about some of the characteristics of the camera, they must remember that they are talking about a $1500 camera and not a
$4500 or $7000 camera. If Canon put all of the features they could into
the 10D, I don't think that they would be selling many 1Ds and 1DII model cameras.
The quality of the images that my camera produces are outstanding.
Some have complained that the camera doesn't have the most advanced auto focus system. Perhaps I just got a good one, but mine
focuses precisely and does not have any of the front or back focusing
problems that others have complained about. Also, since the kind of
shooting I do leads me to virtually always use the center focusing point,
the 7 point focusing system does not bother me.
For nature photographers who shoot with long lenses, the camera is
ideal. It makes my 100-400L lens into a 640mm lens and my
500L f4, into an 800mm lens. It sure is nice to be able to buy a "640"
mm lens for the price of a 400. It is equally nice to be able to carry
around a "640" mm lens at the size and weight of a 400. Even though
the 500 is big and bulky, it is manageable and gives me an "800"
mm lens that I can actually, for short periods, carry around and hand
hold. The crop factor also makes it nice to be able to have an f4 lens
that can be carried around and can reach 800mm.
The camera is also quite rugged. A couple of months ago, when I was
trying to take a picture of a bald eagle from close up, I had to maneuver
to get the light behind me. In doing so, I slipped on some ice and
fell quite forcefully to the ground. I landed squarely on the camera
and my 100-400L lens. I was anticipating having to send one or both
of the camera and lens in for service. Both servived without the
slightest damage.
The 10D also performs well at higher ISO. It does so well at ISO 400
that I rarely shoot below that level. In poor light, ISO 800 will still
give decent results. I have not really used the ISO 1600 or 3200
settings much so I can't comment on their performance.
Recently, I have considered moving up to the 1DII, but, while I have
not made a final decision, I'm not sure that, for the kind of shooting I do,
it would be a better camera for me. While it would be nice to have a
burst rate of 8 1/2 frames per second and a buffer of 40 frames, 3
frames per second usually meets my needs, and I've only exhausted
the buffer a couple of times. Especially, if you shoot in jpegs, by the
time you've shot a burst of 9 pictures, a couple have been recorded.
Thus, the effective buffer is more than 9 frames. Additionally, for
those who shoot nature photography, the challenge is to fill up the
frame with the subject. Even with a 500mm lens and a 1.6 crop factor,
I'm often cropping pictures. If I were to get the 1DII, because of its
1.3 crop factor, if a 1DII picture were cropped to the identical field of
view as a 10D picture, it would only have 5.4 million pixels left. Thus,
the 10D allows for more room to crop with its 6.3 million pixels.
Obviously, if I were doing a lot of wide angle shooting, my feelings about
the crop factor would be different.
In short, for $1500 or anything close to it, there is no other camera
that comes close to the 10D.

Mar 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add uz2work to your Buddy List
mhsam

Registered: Jan 11, 2004
Review Date: Feb 19, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent images. Color is great, handling is great
Cons:
The only little bug is that it does not have a ISO readout in the viewfinder. I'd prefer the exposure settings to stay on a few seconds longer too.

Made the switch from a Elan 7E so there was not much of a learning curve BUT......

The exposure latitude is much smaller than film so it took a couple hundred pics to get the hang of it (they are free pics so it cost nothing but I lost a bunck of shots...).

I thought a 28 mm would be wide enough as I did not use it much when I had the Elan but I will have to get a wider lens.

Otherwise, construction, images, handling is all top notch.

Was also looking at the D100 but was not as happy with the images. The D100 seemed to have better flexibility but now that I'm used to the 10D's handling, it has not been a problem.

I have the 28 - 135 lens which is very versatile (aside from not being quite wide enough).
Would I buy it again? Absolutely!

Feb 19, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mhsam to your Buddy List
deevee

Registered: Mar 12, 2002
Review Date: Feb 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent image quality solid body excellent battery life nice lcd zoom
Cons:
small viewfinder coverage small lcd awkward af point selection

i've had this camera for almost a year now,upgraded from a d60. I always like this smaller body style with builtin flash as opposed to the heavier, bigger, and sturdier EOS 1D series even though that series offer quite a bit more in terms of features and build qaulity. This is not to say that the 10D is not sturdy, it's the best built camera of its price range imho, full metal body, very nice to the touch.
I like the builtin flash, it's not for all use but it's hily convenient for cases where u need fill flash, and i do that a lot, so another reason for buying this camera vs the pro series.
the image quality from the cam is nothing short of spectacular, even at iso as high as 800 and in long exposures which is the strength of the canon CMOS. This is reason alone to get the 10D vs the competition; Canon has almost worked the CMOS to perfection by now as opposed the CCD from the competition. The images tend to be smooth, film like and full of details. I'd prefer to have a little more dynamic range but u can always use PS highlight/shadow feature to enhance the results.
The LCD 10X zoom factor is a nice feature to have; only then can u really see whether ur pics are sharp or not since the LCD is rather small and don't have enough pixels. I normally set the LCD brightness to 2 levels only as to best represent the final images.
For the price the camera is an excellent buy , perhaps the best buy out there , even today close to a year since its inception but it is NOT a perfect camera in any way.
The AF is clumsy when it comes to selecting AF points, especially the vertical ones; for sports, the AF may be a bit slow for fast moving objects.
While I enjoy the 1.6x crop factor at the tele end , i missed the wide focal at the wide end; my 17-40mm can only be as wide as 28mm; i'd prefer at least 24mm at the wide end and the 16-35mm is a little soft at that end. If you shoot landscapes a lot, then a 1.3x crop may be a better choice.
The WB manual or auto needs some improvements, it's hard to get the right colors w any setting , especially indoors with incandescent lights.
Spot metering is sorely missed but I can get around it by using other metering methods and bracket
A few things on my wish list I'd like to see in the next generation of 10D:
- improved dynamic range
- a brighter 100% coverage viewfinder ( i miss my F-1 bright viewfinder badly)
- a larger LCD w more res for better reviewing accuracy
- an improved faster AF and AF selection (use joystick a la Contax)
- a smaller or lighter body still
- spot metering addition
- better WB
- a 1.3x crop rather than 1.6x for wider focal lengths
Saying that, the 10D has served me well and the key thing here is image quality, and it delivers the best short of the EOS 1Ds ot the new 1DMk2 for now ...until Photokina maybe ;-))

Feb 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add deevee to your Buddy List
Antje

Registered: Aug 18, 2002
Review Date: Feb 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Feels solid, ok menues, easy to use dials, has all the features I need, great accurate colours, very good image quality
Cons:
ISO setting not displayed in viewfinder - accounts for some of my noisier pics... Sometimes I hate the write speed. Viewfinder could be better. Would have liked a spot meter.

A lot has been said about the 10D already, I'll just add my $0,02. Smile This is not my first SLR, I've owned a EOS 1000F and I have learned shooting with that really low-end camera. That's why I liked the 10D from the start and still do.
The camera feels very solid, it's very easy to hold and is heavy enough to feel comfortable with a heavy lens attached. The mount feels as if it's going to accomodate even heavy telephotos. The LCD is sufficient for what I'm doing, though I don't rely on it for DOF, colour and contrast - that's what I use the histogram for. The histogram is very handy, btw, it really helps in determining the correct exposure. Dials and menues are ok, though I'd wish for a better way to enable mirror lockup... It's not really a bother, though.
But how's the image quality? I actually like it very much. Given a good lens to work with, it provides sharp, smooth pics with accurate colours, and noise is very low up to ISO 400. The AF has been commented on a lot, but actually, coming from a low-end camera, I think the AF is sufficient for a camera of this class. The area it focuses in is bigger than one expects from the look of the boxes, that takes some time getting used to. The AF likes to lock on contrasty things, that's why it ends up focusing on the twig and not the bird, but that's true for AF in general. And the AF isn't as accurate as the 1D's - sure, that's why the 10D costs less.
One thing that does bother me sometimes is the viewfinder. My eyes are pretty bad, and thus I find it hard to focus manually with the 10D. With a split-focus screen it's no problem for me, but with the 10D I do have to rely heavily on the AF. Works out most of the time, though.

What I really miss is a spot meter. I often end up adjusting the exposure manually when I could just spot meter the subject and be happy. But that's maybe a pro feature I traded in for the lower price. Smile As is weather sealing. How I would love to be able to take it out into the rain without wrapping it like a Christmas present - but to be honest, I don't even own a weather-sealed lens so that's just a dream.

All in all, the 10D produces good, sharp photos with accurate colours, is quite easy to use and a good choice for anyone not willing to drop the extra cash for a pro body. It isn't perfect, there are things I miss, there are shot have missed because of inaccurate focus, but that's really really rare and would have happened to me with almost all non-pro bodies. I'm glad I have it and I'm having tons of fun with it all the time.

Feb 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Antje to your Buddy List
Mr645

Registered: Jun 7, 2002
Review Date: Jan 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Excellent image quality, awesome performance at higher ISO settings, even delivering very clean images at ISO 800. Excellent E-TTL flash control, solid build, great battery system, great lenses
Cons:
Poor AF performance, poor software, slow in camera processing

Overall the 10D is a very capable camera, but like any camera it has uses which it will excell at and others it will perform poorly at. I love the high ISO performance. I won't hesitate to go to ISO 400 even for portraits and for 8x10 or smaller, 800 delivers 18MB files that are very clean. Pop on a 550EX and you cna walk around snapping away and get consistant exposures which is a first for a Canon D-SLR. The camera feels great in your hands and with the grip and 2 BP-511's you can fire away 600-700 shots before running out of juice.
The AF system is reponsive but not very accurate. Forget using F2.8 lenses wide open, the AF is just not accurate enough to reply on. It will quickly get you within a few inches so shooting at F8 is great but try something fast, wide open and be ready to manually touch up the focus. Canons RAW image processing is weak but hopefully getting better, faster. Fortuantly shooting hi-res Jpegs yields the same image quality, you just have to be careful about setting color balance when shooting Jpegs. The 10D also processes image in camera much slower then the D60 does. The LCD respondes slowly and if shooting fast, the buffer can easily fill up. The D60 does a much better job of keeping the buffer clear. Overall for $1500 it's light on the wallet and delivers image quality that is on top of the 6MP SLR offerings, at least until next month in Vegas.

Jon

Jan 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mr645 to your Buddy List
TwoBoy

Registered: Jan 10, 2004
Review Date: Jan 10, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, features, ease of use, well laid out menu's, controls are functional for big hands also, wide range of accessories, battery pack, remotes, car charges etc. I have had no problems and the fact that I can switch lenses from my EOS30 and back is a plus also. International warranty. Mine gives me the perfect platform for both Canon and Sigma EX lenses I use for Wildlife photography and the low light capability makes shooting at waterholes very easy in low light situations.
Cons:
I find the viewfinder difficult as I wear glasses. The eyepiece extender - sold as an extra - is "worse than sh---y" - Canon should sort this out.

Go and get yours now!

Revised after 12 months use (07/09/2004):

I am particularly pleased with the cameras performance under all light conditions. Battery life is great, really impressive.

Happiness is a 10D with a 100~400 IS USM L Lens. Add a 1.4 x II Extender for this lens also. Added a 28~300 L IS USM lens to go with it. This camera has now travelled many miles, seen 13 countries and been well used in Africa's dust and heat banging about in a 4x4. It has paid for itself in terms of film saved. It is robust in the extreme, image quality is excellent with Canon "L" lenses and Sigma "EX's" but standard Canon lenses like the 28~135 (really rotten lens) are to be avoided like the plague with this camera - buy the "L's" and "EX's" only - they are worth every penny even though they hurt the bank balance. The in-built flash is a waste of time - buy a decent flash to go with it - 550EX works well for me. The 10D experience has been nothing short of excellent in every respect.

The 10D is now selling at bargain prices - you cannot go wrong by buying them even though they are theoretically obsolete. The quality of prints obtained means you can blow up to 64 x 48cm or even bigger quite comfortably with excellent results.

I was going to buy another 10D but the 20D is available to me next week so I will buy that.

Bought the 20D and the 10D stays no matter what. The 10D is a well proven workhorse of the highest standard, no matter the hype over anything else.

Jan 10, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add TwoBoy to your Buddy List
fletcher8969

Registered: Jan 7, 2004
Review Date: Jan 7, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build. Excellent image quality at almost all ISO speeds. Lots of custom functions. Priced within reason.
Cons:
Slow write speed. Crapy software to convert RAW files.

This is my first digital SLR. Previously, I shot pretty much everything on an Elan 7. The transition has been very easy. Those two camera have so many similar features. I enjoy the flexibility of changing the ISO without having to change film. Converting RAW files it a bit tedious but the quality of the images is amazing compared to anything that I've ever scanned off film. I realize the Digital Rebel is now out and delivers virtually the exact same image quality for $500 or $600 less but the added controls of the 10D are worth it to me. The 10D seems to focus as well or better than my Elan 7 does so I'm assuming the focusing problem has been handled or I got lucky. I've enjoyed shooting at night with this camera. I have never had the same success with film in night shots. This digital medium seems to be much easier to use for long exposure shots at night. I've gotten a little frustrated with the write speed. I couple of times I've had to wait for the camera to write before I could take another shot and missed something but that makes up for a very small part of my shooting. Being able to observe the result so quickly after shooting is a great advantage to me. It a lot easier to catch little mistakes and improver my overall skill with the camera. Overall I love this camera and I'm rapidly falling for digital altogether.

Jan 7, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fletcher8969 to your Buddy List
Arka

Registered: Jun 13, 2003
Review Date: Dec 20, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Rock solid build, even better than Canon claims it is. Great feel in the hand, and controls are easy to use. Outstanding image quality, with great high ISO performance. EOS mount. Pop-up flash for emergencies. Low price. Long battery life.
Cons:
The camera is WAY too slow. Preview is extremely slow, startup is laggard 3 seconds, and writing to CF card is also slow. AF tends to hunt, and is rarely trustworthy on the first press.

I have a special place in my heart for this camera, as it was my first dSLR, and it has taught me well and continues to do so. But I feel obligated in a review to share my observations of the shortcomings, and there are many.

The camera sets the standard in dSLR image quality at this price point, with incredible detail and a reasonable 3 FPS framerate. High ISO performance is also exceptional, superior to anything produced by Canon or Nikon at ANY price point.

the AF ends up being the weak link in getting good images, however, as it cannot keep a moving object in focus very reliably at the max framerate. Even through very wide apertures, the AF tends to hunt around at least once or twice before locking down. And it gets even worse in low light or low contrast situations. Focus issues are exacerbated by the fact that it is hard to manually focus through the small and relatively dim viewfinder.

The camera feels as if it was hewn out of a solid piece of metal, and is very comfortable in the hands. Body rigidity is impressive and will make any plastic-bodied SLR feel like a toy by comparison. And even though Canon does not state it (and I do not endorse trying it), the 10D can even deal with a very light drizzle and keep on ticking. Controls are laid out logically, except for the DoF preview button. use of wheels instead of buttons is a welcome touch, and makes navigating the camera interface simple and intuitive.

Unfortunately, as well designed as the camera is, it is so sluggish in terms of overall performance that I often find myself fighting with its unwillingness to do anything in a reasonable period of time. On the one hand, it is a shooting priority camera, and it switches from preview mode to capture mode at simple push of the shutter button. Shutter lag is VERY low, and it gets ready to shoot very fast from preview mode.

But the camera is extremely slow at power-up. It takes 3 seconds for the camera to come alive, and while this is pretty good compared to consumer point and shoot digicams, it is unacceptable in a prosumer dSLR costing this much. Also frustrating is the inability to preview images while the camera is writing to the card. This is an infuriating problem if you shoot RAW bracketed. It can take upwards of a minute to write a 9 frame burst of RAW files to the card, and during that time, you cannot preview images OR access menu options. Thankfully, you CAN take more pictures, but that is about it. Even if the camera is not writing to the card, images are slow to appear in the preview window, appearing fuzzy at first and then sharpening up on the second pass. It takes about 2-3 seconds to display an image, and if you are cycling through images, this can be a real drag.

Metering is fairly accurate, though the exclusion of a spot meter is just baffling. Viewfinder information is quite complete, though it would be nice to see ISO information either in the viewfinder or on the LCD display on top.

Overall, I cannot say that I regret purchasing the 10D. It has energized my photography and I have learned (and re-learned) a great deal after using it. I still love going out and shooting with it, and I doubt I will ever sell it. However, it is far from a perfect camera, and I am anxiosly awaiting a successor from Canon that addresses the shortcomings of the 10D and 1D model above it.

Dec 20, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Arka to your Buddy List
mskad

Registered: Sep 20, 2002
Review Date: Dec 17, 2003 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Incredible low noise, even at high ISO. Color accuracy and overall image quality. Construction. Price. Buffer and burst rate.
Cons:
The AF system on this camera is a joke. Small viewfinder doesn't help for manual focus.

I would like to love this camera, but the AF is such an issue that I can't. I had to send it 3 times to Canon to have a barely usable AF that is still back focusing from time to time. In the meantime, I bought a second body, hoping that the first one was just a lemon, but same thing: back focusing issue with all my 5 (Canon) lenses. I sent it back.

Don't expect that you will be able to manual focus either. Not with this kind of viewfinder. I tried the angle finder C and it works fine, but obviously only with still subject.

Other than this ridiculous AF issue, the the image quality is fantastic and the camara would have been othewise a dramatic improvement over the D60.

I'm hoping now that Canon will release the mythical 3D or whatever they name it so I could get rid of the 10D.

Dec 17, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mskad to your Buddy List
Aleksi

Registered: Oct 7, 2003
Review Date: Nov 22, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, Image Quality, Ergonomical, Heavy (yes it's a pros to me)
Cons:
Havent noticed any cons, well not yet anyway.

Allright, for amateurs and proffessionals this is a great camera. Okay, it's not 11.1 Megapixels, it dosent cost your home, wife, children and it might not be that big. But still, it's a great camera for everyone who wants to shoot good quality photos in digital format.

Few things that are must when you buy this camera:
- Battery Grip, gives you the pro feeling, more battery life and vertical shooting.
- Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II or the older version, it's a must!
- Macro lense (i havent bought one, but i think this camera needs one)

And the price! Woah, a pro digital camera under 1700 . Can't bealive it? Check it out your self.

Yours,
Aleksi M

Nov 22, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Aleksi to your Buddy List
chris78cpr

Registered: Aug 27, 2003
Review Date: Nov 18, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, 6.3mp chip, Image Quality, Build Quality, Good noise control, 9fps buffer, EF lens system, Ease of Use, 1.6crop - Sports, Wildlife, etc
Cons:
Occasional AF accuracy, Canon FVU, 1.6crop - Landscape, people, etc

A significant improvement on the D60 and a great camera to use. One of canon's best camera's! If you are considering this over a d100 then just look at the lens lineup, i mean canon's EF system has one of the most comprehensive line up that can cover every shooting system!!! IS is a great big advantage to canon to!!!

The only think i dislike is the supplied raw conversion software, i find it very akward to use and lacking in features compared to other alternatives, eg. Capture 1 and Breezebrowser.

Nov 18, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add chris78cpr to your Buddy List

92 125024 Jun 25, 2012