86 125259 Jun 25, 2012

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

i_moose

Registered: Feb 20, 2005
Review Date: Feb 20, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: I can use my EF lens.
Cons:
Can't use my EFS lenses. Awfull grey cast on pictures. I don't think that's my fault. Same Cmos faults as my 20D. My reccommendation goes for the camera I'm now using, perhaps other people are luckier.

After going digital with a D20 2 months ago I found round spots on my pictures, not dust or dirt. I send it back to Canon and they promised me a new Cmos. I hope I will get my repaired 20D back before my hair falls out.
Canon gave me a loan 10D, alas it has the same kind of round spots on the Cmos, less but enough to make me shudder.
My dealer loaned me an EF 24-85 to use on the 10D.
I prefer the EFS lenses, sharper with more natural colors and contrast.The 10D also has an awfull grey cast on all my pictures my 20D never showed.
This maybe a a monday morning model but I'm interested in other Canon 10D and epecially 20D users if they have round spots in their pictures?
I found some of the same kind of spots in my brother's Nikon D70 too! It doesn't seem to be just a Canon problem.
Settings: 100-200ASA Color temp. 5500 K auto white balance,
or am I missing something????

Feb 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add i_moose to your Buddy List
coreypolis

Registered: Oct 30, 2004
Review Date: Feb 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,425.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great quality, build and layout.
Cons:
Auto focus is so-so, bigger brighter viewfinder would be nice.

A nice transition from the D30. But now its time to go to the 1D Mark II.

Feb 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add coreypolis to your Buddy List
stephenmak

Registered: Feb 16, 2003
Review Date: Feb 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Feel, image quality, performance, value (especially when bought used). Great user interface -- very intuitive.
Cons:
Wake time.

I picked up a 10D used -- after the 20D was released, to take advantage of those trading up.

The camera has a great feel -- solid, tight, making it a pleasure to us. I looked at the DRebel, and found the feel was a bit light, and not quite solid enough for what I am generally used to. Compared to the D70, which admittedly is not in the same league as the 10D, the all metal construction makes for a robust feel.

User interface is extremely intuitive -- I didn't need to read much of the manual when I first picked it up. The only complaint is the Custom Functions which are a bit difficult to get to - fortunately you don't use them much after the first set up.

The image quality is terrific. Good tonal renditions out of the camera with it's basic internal processing set. Much better than a Nikon CP5000 that I also have.

The speed with which the camera performs is great, save for the start up time (which is admittedly eliminated with the 20D, but wasn't quite worth the additional money for me). Much better than any non DSLR -- virtually the same as film.

I'd highly recommend this camera.

Feb 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stephenmak to your Buddy List
amitai

Registered: May 12, 2003
Location: Israel
Review Date: Jan 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Value for money, picture quality, ease of use, great control over features. Great battery life
Cons:
Very slow writing times in Raw, very limited dynamic range (whites blown away too easily), useless flash. shuts down when CF door opens.

I have used this camera for almost a year and a half now and can't praise it enough. I abandoned film photography and I never look back. I use it for club photography and it's a wonderful tool. There are limits of course. The dynamic range is the biggest one, so you have to be very careful when metering (like in an over sensitive slide film). Now with the 20D it's not something to recommend but it is good enough not to upgrade despite the slow writing times (wonderful buffer), and the noise at high levels (NeatImage does wonders in that regard).

Jan 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add amitai to your Buddy List
fotonix

Registered: Mar 27, 2004
Review Date: Jan 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,429.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super camera at a fair price. Sensor really paints with light.
Cons:
One nit on the camera - RAW is so slow that I don't use it at all. The bundled software is from hell. Totally anti-intuitive, useless junk. Where the camera earns 5.0 stars, the software earns 5.0 fishbones.

Having loved 35mm and done several year-miles on smaller digital cameras, it was time for a digital SLR. I'm glad I got this one, even though the 20D was announced only a few months later.

The layout is intuitive and very easy to learn, and the camera produces great quality images. I absolutely love the 10D.

Fall-downs are the extreme slowness of RAW (4 seconds on a 40x Lexar CF) and the horrid software "suite" from Canon. It cannot be bludgeoned into naming files my way, nor does it pick up a CF card in the reader without the camera (my Nikon Coolpix software always worked 100%). Then instead of one integrated application, there are 2 or three disjointed "viewers" all jostling "pick me, pick me". I now use 3rd party software exclusively for all my work.

Jan 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fotonix to your Buddy List
optician

Registered: Oct 16, 2004
Review Date: Jan 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sturdy, professional features, excellent images
Cons:

A fantastic peice of equipment that really revolutionised my photography. The 10D is a proper DSLR. I upgraded from the 300D and it was the best decision I made. It's a far sturdier machine, it feels like it will last a lifetime. The handling is superb. The speed and accuracy of the autofocus and the metering is excellent and the images that it produces continue to blow me away.

It's not worth paying the extra for a 20D. You can pick up a 10D now second user for less than 700 UKP which means you can afford some decent lenses. Pair this up with something like the 28-135 IS and you have a formidable peice of kit for little outlay.

Jan 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add optician to your Buddy List
DamienB

Registered: Jan 24, 2003
Review Date: Dec 29, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: Image quality, low ISO noise
Cons:
Unreliable AF, poor quality control

Went through five bodies before giving up on this model entirely. First had a hair embedded on the sensor. Second looked like it was previously owned despite coming out of an unopened box.

The third I was very happy with, for about 6 months, by which time I was becoming increasingly unhappy with the sharpness of the images it was producing during action sequences. Sure enough some testing found it was producing 40%-60% of misfocussed frames during a sequence in AI Servo mode. Looking back at sequences taken just after it was bought found that a gradual deterioration had set in - initially it was just as good as my D60 (which would only produce say 10% of duff frames).

The fourth was fairly good to start with (though again not quite as reliable as the D60), but also deteriorated over a six month period.

Exchanged for a fifth and final 10D body, which had rubbish AF right out of the box.

Everything else about the camera I loved - but the unreliable AF was just a killer. Ended up buying a second D60, where the AF is slower, but has never deteriorated and is far more consistent.

Dec 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DamienB to your Buddy List
MrJStamp

Registered: Nov 10, 2004
Review Date: Dec 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great value on the used market now that 20D is out. Rugged construction, battery grip is great for vertical shots. Tons of lenses and accessories are available used at good prices. Excellent when paired with 550EX flash. Why wait any longer to upgrade from P&S digitals?
Cons:
AF struggles in dim light. Hard to find a case to fit with grip and med zoom. 1.6x crop.

A long time ago I was way into B&W film photography with Leica M3's and doing my own darkroom work. Then a Pentax with macro zoom. Then one of the first Kodak DC250 (1536 x 1024 - at last a useable digital camera). After years of using point and shoots such as Kodak DC250, DC4800, and Canon S100, 400 and 230 I have finally taken the plunge to a "real" DSLR. Wow - what was I waiting for? (The price to drop - and man has it ever.) Have now sold all my 35mm film cameras. The 100 mm macro lens, 28-105 EF Mk1 and 20-35 EF are great deals for the money.

At last I can "invest" in lenses and carry their value through to new bodies. Plan to keep the 10D maybe forever. Hope to get a used 1Ds next year and use the 10D as a backup.

Got a sweet deal on a 10D with only 600 actuations and a 550EX flash. What a great combination! Can squeeze off perfect flash shots almost as fast as pressing the shutter. Omni-bounce highly recommended.

Also highly recommend the expodisc for white balance. $100 seems expensive but it will outlast a box full of gray cards, and a 77 mm disc is a lot more convenient than an 8 x 11 inch gray card.

Have never run out of batteries in one day with the grip.

Now am itching to get better with PhotoShop and try some of the FM plugins for it...

Dec 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MrJStamp to your Buddy List
Linda

Registered: Mar 15, 2002
Review Date: Nov 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: great image quality @ moderate cost
Cons:
easy to fill the buffer

I owned a 10D from March 2003 until October 2004 when I sold it to buy a 20D. I loved my 10D and wouldn't have minded keeping both bodies though I couldn't justify the dent in my finances that would have caused.

I would have rated the 10D 'excellent' - it really is wonderful - but with the 20D out, I would have to rate the 20D higher than the 10D.

Mine operated flawlessly for the 18 months I owned it and is still doing great service in the hands of its new owner.

Nov 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Linda to your Buddy List
slrvancouver

Registered: Sep 15, 2004
Review Date: Sep 25, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great all-around DSLR at 6 mg pixels. Above average jpg results. Supports very high ISO with more than acceptable results. Many proven EF lenses available at decent prices.
Cons:
Slower ( when compared to E-1, 1D, 20D) AF. Slower buffer and continuous drive mode. Flimsy CF door.

I have used Nikon D1X, Canon 1D. and Olympus E-1 prior to moving down(?!) to 10D.
Even though I have tested 20D and found 20D quite attractive, I have chosen 10D due to
its great value for even better picture/output quality.
I cannot tell you it is the best consumer DSLR available today since 20D has faster AF
and few other features. Yet, for everyday use for non-pro photographers like me, it serves
its purpose with amazing 8x12 results.
Although I found its AF quite slow ( slower than those pro DSLRs I have used in last 2 years), it is not the slowest and it works quite well under good lighting.

Output images are little soft yet this can be rectified with post-photographing work.
I have used this DSLR for family portrait and other semi-pro shoots.
With its amazing CMOS system, I found virtually no noise under 800ISO.

I would recommend 10D for everyday photography or sub-DSLR for pros.
Otherwise 20D or 1D MKII will serve better for pros.

Big BANG for relatively small BUCKS~

Sep 25, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add slrvancouver to your Buddy List
tomcaulfield

Registered: Jul 8, 2003
Review Date: Aug 23, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: great results and good navigation around functions
Cons:
not full frame and slow write speeds

i love this camera. it has taken me from oldtime 35mm film novice to full time pro. i know that sounds a bit far out but its true ... with a little inside help :-)

however the 10d follows me on all my shoots be they corporate - lifestyle or just stock. it has its limits but you can work round these.

as with all dslr's dust is the biggest problem but once you know how to deal with this its ok.

the write speed sucks and has left me a little red faced on a recent shoot and the 1.6 sucks for landscapes.

that said this is a great little workhorse for me and i will keep it as backup when i get a 1ds.

i had a guy with a 1d II assisting me and our results was not to far apart when it came to what matters.

my own view is forget the 1d, keep the 10d and buy some good glass.

Aug 23, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tomcaulfield to your Buddy List
aberdeen

Registered: Dec 6, 2003
Review Date: Aug 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,449.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Beautifully ergonomic, easy to navigate, stellar images for price, low noise in higher ISO settings, nice menu layout, Kelvin temperature WB, good LCD monitor, sturdy magnesium alloy chassis...
Cons:
slow write times in RAW, especially in drive mode...

After dinging around with digital for awhile, and playing with a G2 for about a year, I took the plunge into DSLR by grabbing the 10D. Wow! What a catch...

I've had the 10D for a year now, and my other cameras are collecting dust. I even gave one of the old digitals to my father so he can shoot his antique farm machinery whenever he wants, instead of waiting for me to come home for the weekend...

Thousands of images have passed through the 10D, and the bad ones were operator error. The 10D is a workhorse of a camera, and when coupled with good glass, it makes for a very formidable combination.

The learning curve is there, but it's fun to learn. I throw my raw images into Photoshop CS with the RAW plug-in and I'm all set. The Kelvin White Balance mode is all I use, and I've learned to read light quite well as a result...and even if I'm a little off, I can always fix it in the PSCS RAW plug-in. Cool!!

I have one gripe...slow write times of RAW images in drive mode. I suppose there are limits, but I still would like a little more speed.

I Love this camera!!

I get envious stares from other spectators and shutterbugs for a reason...they know what I'm shooting with, and they know what kind of results I'm going to get from it.

Aberdeen

Aug 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aberdeen to your Buddy List
jayemcee

Registered: Jul 22, 2004
Review Date: Jul 25, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,160.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: construction quality, comfortable to hold (with extra grip) reassuring weight (helps with stability), ease of use, thoughtful attention to ergonomics, coherent methods of access to functions. Image quality. L glass.
Cons:
No 100% view in viewfinder (essential in my opinion, especially with 1.6 FOV crop), tiny viewfinder needs higher eyepoint for spectacle wearing folks. Slow to write RAW files to CF card. Poorly written software (updated recently but not a patch on PS CS)

Despite being a photographer for an indecent number of years, this is my first dSLR purchase. I have been surprised at how easy it was to learn (button and function fear had prevented me giving up my all manual cameras for years) and how fast it is in use.

The prime reason for having any imaging device is to create images and this camera does that supremely well. As a long time Nikon addict, I had first tried the D100 but I found the Canon 10D much more user friendly.

I have only shot around 5000 images since owning this camera and the digital approach has taught me quite a few new things about imaging technique despite me having practiced the darker and more arcane arts of photography for the last 35 years.

I would encourage anyone to buy this camera if they need simplicity of operation and quality build for body and lenses. The price was 1160 UKP not dollars as is shown above

Jul 25, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jayemcee to your Buddy List
cucamano

Registered: Jun 21, 2004
Review Date: Jul 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good strong built,very user friendly, and good looking
Cons:
I am not used to having to charge batteries, or changing batteries that often.

I am a proud owner of three Leica, one Hasselblad, one Contax, and now a 10D. I have to say that this Canon camera is as impressive as any of my other cameras.

Jul 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cucamano to your Buddy List
Fredrick

Registered: Jun 9, 2003
Review Date: Jun 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It's a solid, well-made piece of equipment.
Cons:

Others here can comment more intelligently than I regarding the specifics of the performance of this camera and how it compares to similar cameras. So, I won't review it from that aspect.

I've owned mine for nearly a year now, and I'm very pleased with it. I began 3 years ago with an HP P&S, then moved up to a Minolta Dimage 7, now I have the 10D.

The 10D, compared to my earlier cameras, is much more sensitive and demanding; much of that is due to my using it exclusively in manual mode and to shooting in lower light situations. It's very sensitive to inside light color and temperature mixes, especially at ISO 400 and above. Outside, that's not as much of a factor. I use custom white balance as much as possible except in sunlight. So I use Levels and Color Balance a lot in PS, also ColorWasher or ICorrect to deal with color casts.

I haven't had the focussing issues that were so much discussed earlier (are they still?) One caveat, though about focussing: you WILL learn to get the most out of your lenses' focussing capabilities, again because there's less (more?) room for error because of the camera's greater capabilities.

I use the 28-135 IS 90% of the time along with the 75-300 IS and a little with the 100MM macro. These are good lenses, but not, apparently, the best lenses; I have an inherited hand-tremor that make the IS necessary.

But there's an upside there too: otherwise, I'd have a bunch of L-grade primes and lens cases and stuff and then I'd REALLY hear it, "What? Again with the packages from B&H?" Smile

Would I recommend it to someone else in my shoes? Absolutely. Are there issues to nit-pick about? Sure! I hear that the lack of a spot-meter is bad, so I suppose it is; but I really wouldn't know.

I'm too busy shooting and shooting to care about no stinking spot-meters, man!

Peace to ya'll

Fredrick

Jun 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fredrick to your Buddy List
jupiter

Registered: May 17, 2004
Review Date: May 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wonderful pictures (low noise, good resolution); Very good build quality; Ergonomics is quite nice; Fast Autofocus
Cons:
Lack of a spot-meter; the Viewfinder could be better

I have been using film SLRs for a five years now and was anxious about getting the same feeling on a digital camera.
Coming from a Minolta Dynax 7, my expectations were quite high, especially regarding to ergonomics and metering. I am shooting mostly nature (trekking, wildlife...)

The 10D does not disappoint me.
The ergonomics is pretty nice. I have often heard that the Dynax 7 is among the best cameras in this area; but I immediately felt home with the 10D. I wished the viewfinder could be larger; however I can do manual focus with no real problem so I think this is not a very important complaint.
The autofocus is blazingly fast (with a 17-40 L). AF time is virtually unnoticeable.
The metering system has one drawback (which is the main limitation the camera has shown to me until now): there is no spot meter. However the center metering system is usable as an "approximate spot meter". I also noticed a tendancy to slightly overexpose; maybe it is just my unit, and it is not so bad anyway.

The build quality seems very good. The 10D is a little heavy, but the feel is very good, since it is well balanced and feels solid. Obviously the mag alloy body (and also the pentaprism viewfinder) explain and justify the price difference compared to, for instance the 300D.

The start up time is a little slow; but it is easy not to remark it: turn on the dial and then remove the lens cap and it is on! The review mode is also a bit slow but it is not too bad. The speed while taking picture is amazing. The 9 frames buffer is more than enough for me.

The image quality is very high, with good resolution. The dynamic range is also a pretty nice surprise to me (after my previous experience in digital photography, with a canon G1).
The noise starts to really show up at ISO 800 only and is no problem until ISO 1600: I will avoid to use ISO 1600 and H.

I have not much experience with the onboard flash, since the only lens I own right now does not allow me to use it without getting a shadow in the lower part of the picture. Though, I tested it, in order to asses the flash metering system. It is quite consistent, with a tendancy to overexpose, which can be corrected thanks to the FEC.

Overall, my conclusion is that the 10D is a great choice, good value for money.
Obviously more expensive than the 300D, but the extra control and the better build quality justifies the cost difference.

A very good choice.