Nikon 85mm f/1.4D IF AF Nikkor

46 137219 Jul 15, 2013
1933NAS_180

High performance fast maximum aperture Nikkor telephoto lens
Internal focusing for fast AF operation
Rounded diaphragm makes out of focus elements appear more natural
Fast f/1.4 aperture is helpful in shooting indoor sports or stage productions

more info from Nikon

A fast f/1.4 aperture makes this lens a standout for sports photography and photojournalism. With Nikon's typical attention to details, its aperture has extra blades, enabling the diaphragm shape to be a near-perfect circle. This ensures crisper images and more flattering highlights in the out-of-focus portion of the image.

Note! AF not supported by D40 and D60 cameras.

Internal Focusing (IF) design

f/Stop Range 1.4-16
Minimum Focus Distance 3.0'
Magnification 1:8.8
Angle of View 28 Degrees
Length 3.2"
Maximum Diameter 3.1"
Weight 1.23 lb
Usable Nikon Teleconverter TC-201 or TC-14a (manual focus only)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

LarryFRCGP

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid feel, professional finish, reference-standard sharpness for a portrait lens
Cons:
price

Never know a lens can be that sharp. I'll say it gives microscopic resolving power at f/5.6-8. Works equally well on my F5 and D2X. Best for wedding/function candid shots.

Oct 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LarryFRCGP to your Buddy List
nikonjunkie

Registered: Aug 25, 2005
Review Date: Aug 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: perfect fit on on my D70s, F100, and when I had the F5.
Cons:
absolutely none

Just a wonderful lense that gives you a little extra speed. Weight is not really an issue. Some may say get the F/1.8, and there is reason to consider one. However, if you are an available light nut, shoot weddings, and basketball this lense is worth every penny. I have no regrets. It's a tossup between this and the 135 f/2 as to which is my favorite lense.

Aug 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nikonjunkie to your Buddy List
superhero

Registered: Aug 2, 2005
Review Date: Aug 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: High-build quality. Sharp picture. Gorgeous Bokeh.
Cons:
Price. But you got what you paid for.

Aug 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add superhero to your Buddy List
Corcovado

Registered: Aug 3, 2005
Review Date: Aug 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, color saturation, bokeh, build quality . . . in short, everything.
Cons:

There are portraits, and there are portraits taken with the 85 f/1.4.
A legend, and deservedly so.

Aug 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Corcovado to your Buddy List
Bonedaddy

Registered: May 14, 2005
Review Date: Jul 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding Bokeh, light, fast
Cons:
I wish the lens hood was a pull out type

A beautiful lens, much nicer than the 85 1.8 and takes the most special pictures of all Nikons I have used. This lens combined with the 180 2.8 make a fantastic combo.

I would buy this lens for twice the price. You simply can not get this type of shot with any other lens, except maybe the 200 f2.0.

Jul 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bonedaddy to your Buddy List
jb_va2001

Registered: May 12, 2004
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp and fast. One beautiful piece of glass.
Cons:
Not a slow focusing lens on a D2~ body, but I'd still like to see it offered with AF-S.

One of Nikon's best prime lenses. Put this in your bag and you won't regret it.

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jb_va2001 to your Buddy List
leewoolery

Registered: Feb 27, 2005
Review Date: Apr 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $730.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Excellent sharpness and contrast...even wide open
Cons:
Slow Autofocus...should be an AFS

This is a razor sharp, excellent portrait lens that can't be beat for general available light photography but focusing too slow for fast sports like rodeo, basketball, hockey and indoor soccer even when used on a camera such as D2H...tends to hunt. The inexpensive AFS zoom that comes with the D70 is so much quicker than the 85 1.4.

Performs beautifully when used on a D70 for slower moving action like balance beam at youth gymnastics. My favorite Nikkor lens...hands down when I owned Nikon products.

Incredibly well-balanced on a D2H and comes with a very large screw-in metal lens hood

Little bit sharper than the Canon 85 f/1.8 wide open but USM motor and AF on a 1D Mark II make an unbeatable combination for fast-moving available light-only sports such as gymnastics and volleyball.

If the Nikkor 85 mm F/1.4 AF-D lens came with AFS, I probably would have purchased a D2X instead of changing brands.

Apr 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add leewoolery to your Buddy List
Review Date: Aug 5, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp. Beautiful portraits.
Cons:
Apart from spoiling me when I switch to more versatile lenses, if you pushed me, like above, it would be nice if it focused a little closer.

This lens makes it hard to use other lenses.

Aug 5, 2004
Review Date: May 25, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and fast. Sharp and great for low light. Oh yes, Sharp with great color saturation and contrast. Also quite sharp.
Cons:
Too sharp. Many of my portraits show too many pores.

Comrades:

This thing is sharp when it is out of focus.
The autofocus works OK but is rarely engaged.
I use it in low light and don't trust AF more than I
do my eye.

It is so bright in there that focus is not difficult any way.
Get one.

May 25, 2004
Unregistered
Review Date: Mar 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Pictures come out great. I love being able to open it up to 1.4. Good build quality & accepts standard 77mm filters.
Cons:
Its a fixed length lens.

I got this lens because I kept reading all the great reviews and it is a nice lens but I can't seem to figure out where to use it. The fixed length makes it a challange for sports, the focal multiplyer on my digital bodys make it a bit longer then I need. My studio is not quite long enough to be able to use this lens for full lengh bridal protraits. So far the only thing I like about is the ability to really limit my depth of field and I love the nice soft back gounds it creates.

I have had this lens for 4 months now and have really tried to find a use for it but I really just keep finding myself wishing I had a use for it. I may just sell it and get a 14mm which I would probly use more?

Mar 16, 2004
Quentin

Registered: Jan 23, 2004
Review Date: Jan 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, awesome image quality
Cons:
Not AF-S

Possibly the finest lens I have ever owned. Optically superior to the Carl Zeiss equivalent I once owned. bitingly sharp even at F1.4, with hardly any light falloff. Fabulous construction. The ultimate portrait lens. If I had to quibble, I'd like it to focus a little closer.

Jan 24, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Quentin to your Buddy List
joe_E

Registered: Sep 27, 2003
Review Date: Oct 27, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: f1.4, fast, solidly built, image quality is very good (at all apertures)
Cons:
maybe the price

I love it! I hardly use any other lens for portraits, studio or outdoors. Use it at f1.4, you won`t be disappointed!

Oct 27, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add joe_E to your Buddy List
jmcfadden

Registered: Oct 30, 2002
Review Date: Sep 7, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $725.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight and has the 77mm mount like all my other Nikkors
Cons:

I am adding a few select primes to my kit , this is my first Nikkor prime. I am in love with this lens, the focus is fast even tho it is not AFS. The images are tack sharp and contrasty but not too oversaturated, wide open it is a dream, the bokeh is just wonderful. I look forward to having this lens for a very long time.

Sep 7, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jmcfadden to your Buddy List
Jimmy Lui

Registered: Jun 29, 2003
Review Date: Jun 29, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,180.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Awesome @ f/1.4! It's the lens I use the most on my D1x.
Cons:
Pricy for a lot of people.

Lots of people saying it is not worth an extra $1,000 for a stop compare to 85mm 1.8D. For me as a professional, I think it's worth every penny! This lens is very fast, very sharp and love to be shoot at f/1.4.

Jun 29, 2003