Nikon 300mm f/4E PF ED VR AF-S Nikkor

Focal Length: 300mm
APS Equivalent: 450mm
Max Aperture: f/4
Min Aperture: f/32
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 16 elements in 10 groups; including 1 Aspherical, 1 PF (Phase Fresnel), and 1 ED element; Nano Crystal Coat
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 8.2 degrees
Focus Details: Internal focusing with Silent Wave motor; A/M / M/A / M switch
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: n/a
Closest Focus: 1.4m / 4.6 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.24x / 1:4.2
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 147.5mm x 89mm / 5.8 in. x 3.5 in.
Weight: 755g / 26.6 oz
Notes: Image Stabilized (4.5 stops); Included Accessories: CL-M3 case, HB-73 hood, front and rear lens caps

Shantaram

Registered: Aug 25, 2016
Review Date: Aug 25, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

Thanks guys for useful information! I was looking for it
192.168.l.l

Aug 25, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Shantaram to your Buddy List
JackJames

Registered: Dec 9, 2015
Review Date: Dec 9, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,999.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: lightweight, sharpness
Cons:
nothing so far

My copy of this lens was one of the very first S/N's to be delivered from B&H after the so-called firmware fix. The VR appears to work successfully at all shutter speeds. I have looked for a concern with the VR however can not. I am utilizing it with a D800 and 800E so obviously much faster speeds are constantly much better, but the VR seems as good as any of my other lens. I also have the 300mm 2.8 VR along with the 500mm f4 VR both which I think about to be exceptional to utilize as a contrast. The 300 f4 E PF is a very great lens, exactly what I was searching for. It's so lightweight I was surprised when I first used it. It is a really sharp lens and in my viewpoint equivalent with the 300mm f2.8 and 500mm f4. I do wild animals photography and have discovered this to be my "go to" lens as it is so simple to make use of without my tripods or even a monopod. However my shots with the big glass on the tripods are still normally better total and I think the contrast and color are much better with the 300 2.8 and 500. I have actually discovered problems with the Phase Fresnel under particular lighting conditions not just seeing the circular color ghost however have actually even observed the circular look of the Fresnel itself covering a big part of the image. Nevertheless these issues are not typical at all and Nikon alerts of this possibility. The construct quality is not as good as other professional lens of the exact same physical size like the 24-70 2.8. I can live with that for the weight cost savings. I can hike with it on my side and get a quick shot that I would miss totally with the huge glass due to set up time. Just to note its much better than the 28 -300 VR and the 70 -300 VR at 300mm. It also works well with the TC-14E III however it does take a slight hit in AF speed. I have actually not attempted the 1.7 or 2.0 on it. All in all my copy is a terrific lens. I have not sold my 2.8 and it is better in total image and construct quality. I find I am not utilizing it much at all now and will go for the 500mm when needed and I have time.

Dec 9, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JackJames to your Buddy List
AiryM

Registered: Jul 10, 2015
Review Date: Jul 11, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Size, weight, even sharpness, no obvious aberrations, snappy AF
Cons:
Dubious stabilization. Sharpness on D800 less convincing. Price.

This lens leaves me with mixed feelings. It is a good match for the Df in terms of size and weight. IQ is very good, despite a lower contrast than most other teles. This can easily be corrected in PP. Also, focus tracking in AF mode works excellently.

The stabilizer is more problematic. I'd use it at speeds > 1/250s for visual comfort, or squarely use manual mode and force 1/30s, in which case I get a very high % of sharp pics on fixed subjects. In between, results are unpredictable, despite the camera being a Df and the lens a later copy with updated firmware. Better use "quiet" mode and shoot several shots in a row. I have never seen that with the 70-200 for instance.

On D800, I used it only once or twice, and was not overwhelmed by the sharpness. I guess the sensor outresolves it.

Nevertheless it is a very useful lens. I nailed a few concert shots with it, although its main use is the capture of details of static subjects when tripods are not an option.

Jul 11, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AiryM to your Buddy List

Nikon 300mm f/4E PF ED VR AF-S Nikkor