Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor

61 136737 Nov 12, 2012
1906NCP_180

An affordable Nikkor that combines the ease of autofocus operation with advanced Nikon optics.

Ideal for scenery or full-length portraits.

Weighs only 5.1 ounces.

Stops down to f/22 for additional depth of field control.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4  next

veroman

Registered: Aug 19, 2005
Review Date: May 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ Price
Cons:

Truly remarkable.

May 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add veroman to your Buddy List
lextalionis

Registered: Jul 28, 2007
Review Date: Apr 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $110.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Best bang for the buck...just buy it...you won't be dissapointed.
Cons:
Build isn't as good as the 1.4 but good enough for $100

What's the difference between this one and the 1.4?

1. Price...about 3.3X cheaper.
2. Build quality a bit less over the 1.4
3. If you have a trained eye, then you'll notice harder bokeh highlights.

BUY IT!

Here are some sample taken with the Nikon D70:
Sample Photos

-Roy

Apr 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lextalionis to your Buddy List
Jeff Spain

Registered: Jan 4, 2008
Review Date: Jan 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $105.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: price, size, weight
Cons:

Everyone should own this lens. Pro glass at discount prices. It is so small that I just carry it in the pocket of my jacket in case I need it. Shots are extremely sharp from f2.8 and up. Plastic parts, but for 100 bucks what do you expect? Bokeh wide open is a little rough. Best value of any Nikon lens.

Jan 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jeff Spain to your Buddy List
Stan Santiago

Registered: Nov 26, 2007
Review Date: Dec 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: low light photography, sharp, very nice bokeh
Cons:
slightly long for D200's 1.5 crop

this is my first prime lense and i am so happy i bought it, really a value for money!

the decision to try it out was because of the reviews posted by people here in FM.

here is sample pic i took:

Dec 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Stan Santiago to your Buddy List
Teru Kage

Registered: Oct 29, 2007
Review Date: Nov 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, big aperture, beautifil bokeh
Cons:
If I had to nitpick: plastic build and noisy AF

I often wonder if Nikon designed this lens as a form of bait. Considering the fantastic performance at such a bargain price, it seems like the perfect candy to suck you in to the world of NAS.

This is the first lens I owned. I bought it with my first film SLR a couple years back after reading rave reviews of it (some of them made this sound like the Holy Grail of lenses). The f/1.8 aperture is a godsend in low light situtations and overall sharpness and color are excellent.

The 50mm focal length is good for testing your creativity. I use this lens when I'm in the mood to experiement with different distances and angles. On digital bodies, the APS-C crop makes the lens a 75mm which makes for a good head-and-shoulders portrait lens, but I prefer the versatility of 50mm of full frame so I tend to use this lens on my film body more.

The focus is reasonably good but a bit noisy. AF-S would be a nice addition, but not really needed in most cases.

I've read some reviews stating softness at wide open but that's simply the nature of large aperture lenses. At f/1.8, the DOF is pretty shallow so you can't expect corner to corner sharpness.

Some samples, fyr:

Nov 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Teru Kage to your Buddy List
E. Amador

Registered: Sep 6, 2007
Review Date: Sep 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Fast, light, a bargain !
Cons:

I have the original 1986 edition of this lense, made in Japan. The focusing ring is awfull, but this lens works like a charm !

It is a good portrait lens on a DX format.

Sep 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add E. Amador to your Buddy List
Frank Eleveld

Registered: Sep 4, 2007
Review Date: Sep 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, sharp, good contrast, cheap, lightweight, diminutive size
Cons:

I got mine used, although the street price of the 50 mm f/1.8 new is around $ 120 or so.

For the money, this is incredible value since this lens is sharp and contrasty from f/4 upwards (until diffraction kicks in at f/13 or so). On DX cameras it makes a good portrait lens, with pleasing bokeh, whereas it's a great savior in low light situations. It's so small and lightweight that it's permanently in my bag. I don't use it very often, but when I do, I know I can rely on it and that it gives me very sharp images.

Sep 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Frank Eleveld to your Buddy List
unityofsaints

Registered: Mar 11, 2007
Review Date: Aug 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $105.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great sharpness, light, cheap/
Cons:
Slightly odd focal lenght on digital, average build quality, noisy AF, sometimes awkward to handle because of its small size and rotating focus ring.

Aug 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add unityofsaints to your Buddy List
Ruben Silva

Registered: Jul 19, 2007
Location: Argentina
Review Date: Jul 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp as hell excellent luminosity, real fast 1.8
Cons:

this is a must have for just about $100.

Jul 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ruben Silva to your Buddy List
ygan

Registered: Jun 14, 2007
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Jun 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, very good quality, easy, little
Cons:
no AF-S, purple fringing

Wide open maybe a little soft, but still usable, at f/4: extreme sharp and contrast, at f/8 the center and border are especialy sharp.
Perfect for portrait and almost for all category of photography.

Jun 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ygan to your Buddy List
VernW

Registered: Jun 15, 2007
Review Date: Jun 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $105.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality (sharpness, contrast, etc) Low light ability Ease of use Portability Cost
Cons:

I bought this for use on my Nikon D80. I was hesitant, only because I wasn't sure how I would use it. Starting out with the D80 though, I wanted a lens that was simple to use, and that would show me what the camera was really capable of, without spending a fortune!

I'll just begin by saying what everyone else has said. This is an essential lens for anyone, but in my opinion even more essential to those new to DSLR's. There are lots of cheap, mediocre lenses out there, that result in mediocre image quality. That's what most beginners will start out with. This is not one of those lenses.

There are many comments about the cheap construction of this lens but I won't penalize a $100 lens for that. I have used $600 lenses that feel as cheap. The lens is small, compact, and seems well made. I don't feel like the lens is a toy, or that it's not going to hold up to heavy use. I think the build quality of the lens is more than adequate, and can assure you that you don't want to miss out on this lens because it doesn't weigh a ton, have gold striping on it, or feel like a $2000 lens! There's nothing about the build quality that affects it's performance.

Anyway, the only other thing I'll say is that the lens is so good that I find uses for it. I want to shoot with this lens as much or more than any other lens I have because it is so good, and because it makes me more creative. I am always looking for new ways to use it. It's great in low-light, it's great hand-held, it's incredibly sharp...oh and the bokeh is incredible, not like anything you will see on the slower zoom lenses. It's a great lens to learn a new camera with because you won't be fiddling with the lens or wondering if it's the lens quality that is messing up your shots :-).
If I could get as fast a zoom lens with the same image quality, for anything near this price I would be in absolute heaven!

Jun 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add VernW to your Buddy List
Tom Radford

Registered: Dec 7, 2006
Review Date: May 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Super sharp, great price, well built
Cons:
none really

For the money I paid for the lens, you really cant beat it. You can use it for so many things. A low light concert, no problems, natural light portrait...easy, Landscapes, bring it on
It really is a top class all round lens and I never take my camera out with out it. It is quite light, but this makes it a joy to carry round on my D200 all day.
Every Nikon shooter should own one of these!

May 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tom Radford to your Buddy List
Eosuser

Registered: Aug 4, 2003
Review Date: Apr 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light weight, 75mm on digicam, small, well built
Cons:

Best value for money lens I ever purchased.

Apr 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Eosuser to your Buddy List
Mono

Registered: Oct 5, 2005
Review Date: Apr 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Best bang for bucks you'll get from any lens.
Cons:
It will make you question why other lenses cost so much

Should be compulsory lens in everyones bag. I compared this against my Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 lens, & it beat it in pure image quality terms, at a tenth of the cost ( I know its a prime vs a zoom, but hey )

The f/1.8 allows you to shoot indoors using only natural window light, which I love for shots. Example one here :- http://www.pixalo.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/441/cat/500/ppuser/164

Just buy one ....you know you want to Wink

Apr 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mono to your Buddy List
Niloyd

Registered: Nov 14, 2006
Location: India
Review Date: Nov 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons:
Nothing

If you are here to check a review of a great lens that costs around 100 USD, you are such a cheapskate!

Nov 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Niloyd to your Buddy List
mctenhov

Registered: Feb 22, 2006
Review Date: Oct 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: F1.8, Fast AF for a body driven lens, 75 mm on crop, ideal for portraits, light, cheap, well built for 100 bucks
Cons:

Simply an excellent lens.

Oct 21, 2006