Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor

40 159240 Aug 26, 2015
1902NCP_180

Fast enough for shooting in just about any type of light.
Distortion-free images with superb resolution and color rendition.
An ideal first lens, perfect for full-length portraits, travel photography or any type of available-light shooting. Accepts 52mm filters.

Lens Mount Nikon F-Bayonet
f/Stop Range 1.4-16
Minimum Focus Distance 1.5' (0.45 m)
Reproduction Ratio 0.15x (max.)
Angle of View DX format: 3030'
FX format: 46
FX in DX Crop Mode
35mm Film
Elements/Groups 7/6
Number of Blades 7
Dimensions (Diam. x L) Approx. 2.5 x 1.7" (64.5 x 42.5mm)
Weight Approx. 8.1 oz (230 g)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

milanulrich

Registered: Jan 20, 2005
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: Mar 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfect sharpnes even 1.8 to 16. This glass have not aperature 22! Max is 16. So the colegue done a mistake:o) Its "you must have" glass. 1.4 is perfect for portraits, little softer then 1.8 but you dont probably see it. Excelent contrast
Cons:
AF is little bit confused thx to little DOF in big aperatures. Made in china?:o( Older ver. was made in japan! On D100 little chromatic abberation

Mar 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add milanulrich to your Buddy List
kingontheriver

Registered: Jan 22, 2005
Review Date: Feb 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $269.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great low light lense!
Cons:
Not good for sports at wide open. Focus almost too perfect.

I've run more than a dozen rolls of film through my camera for this lense. It's been fun a challenging to seek lowlight situations and let the lense work its magic.

Because I really wanted the 85mm in the future, I bought this lense to test some high school gyms because I can't use flash during basketball games. The first test I was able to achieve my best photos at f2.8 but at wide open there were no usable photos that didn't suffer from motion/blur. I was using ISO1600 film and achieving some super fast shutter speeds. Too inexperienced to understand why that is but it was super at 2.8 or a stop below with more moderate/slower shutter speeds. It was overkill at f1.4 with poor results.

For sports, the obvious limitation was its focal length. Hope to get to use it at some boxing matches in the near future.

Next was my photography class project. I was shooting an abandoned railroad bridge and it worked perfectly at all times of the day, at all apetures. Even mounted it on a tripod and did some night shots and to achieve the desired light trails from cars and it worked like a charm.

Final test and the reason anyone would own a f/1.4 was available light shots I took indoors on a cruise to the bahamas. It was my only lense. I can't say enough about the quality of photos my N80 and 50mm produced in and around Nassau and on the ship. Stunningly sharp! The biggest test was dinner at night in the ships dark restaraunt. ISO100 with Fuji was very limited indoors. ISO800 Kodak was a breeze. In the very darkest situations I achieved shitter speeds of 1/30 and 1/60.

My opinion that in normal indoor lighting this lense will handle any situation, easily! The one drawback in its intended use is that it almost too crisp in its focus. For example my wife and some inlaws were sitting in a piano bar and they were only slightly seated further back than the other. My wife was in focus but the others were not. It could be a combination of things from shooting in the lowest light, wide open apeture, slowest shutter speeds, and my inexperience. I also experienced this with my cat on some other rolls I shot.

But I guess for most normal people this is supposed to be a portrait lense, but I found it very versitile thus far from street, landscape, indoor shooting. The light gathering capabilites of this lense is amazing.

Will I spend $600 more to get an extra stop on the 85mm? Probably not...

Is this lense worth an extra $179 as apposes to the f/1.8? Buying this lense was a smart purchase for my situation. I would reccommend it to anyone that can't or doesn't want to use a flash. I just love that freedom.

Feb 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kingontheriver to your Buddy List
rcorrington

Registered: Aug 8, 2004
Review Date: Nov 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $264.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small and light. Performs well in low light conditions. Good color. Excellent auto focus it almost never hunts for the subject. The bokeh is nice and smooth.
Cons:
The new f/1.4D is plastic and made in China. If I find a used non-D in a camera shop somewhere, I plan to pick it up.

I mostly take pictures of my two year old son running around inside and outside. I use this lens hand-held on my D70 most of the time. I rarely use a flash. Most of the pics come out great.

Nov 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rcorrington to your Buddy List
o6001

Registered: Jan 16, 2004
Review Date: Aug 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: THE sharpest lens I own. This is the one I compare all my other lenses to. It's sharp at all F stops. Contrast is perfect. No distortion of any kind that I have every noticed. I've had this one for several years.
Cons:
Other than the fact it isn't as convenient as a zoom lens, there are no negatives. (But the optical quality makes up for it.)

Aug 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add o6001 to your Buddy List
damandit9999

Registered: Jul 30, 2004
Review Date: Aug 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast aperture, sharp, fast focusing, very shallow DOF, non-D version made in Japan
Cons:
very shallow DOF can be tricky, slight telephoto on Digital is less versatile.

At least the non-D version that I own is all metal. Get it second-hand, no worries.

Aug 12, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add damandit9999 to your Buddy List
Jimmy Lui

Registered: Jun 29, 2003
Review Date: Jun 29, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Classic lens, compact, sharp!
Cons:
Made in China?

If you are on a budget, I would suggest you get the AF 50mm f/1.8 instead.

Jun 29, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jimmy Lui to your Buddy List
erikff

Registered: Sep 8, 2002
Review Date: Jun 13, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, small, ULTRA sharp, fast ... should I go on
Cons:

I havent put the lens through its paces yet but from the little I played with it I am totally blown away. It is a great lens and possibly the sharpest lens I own. This is one lens that will probably start living on my camera body.

You cannot go wrong for the price/performance

Jun 13, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add erikff to your Buddy List
dobrodude

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Review Date: May 25, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $105.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly sharp and contrasty lens at f1.4-22! Cheap, considering. great all around lens for general shooting
Cons:
None, so far

Sharp, sharp lens with fantastic color rendition, and as a plus, with d-slr(1.5x), makes a great f1.4 portrait lens as well!

May 25, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dobrodude to your Buddy List

Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor