Nikon D600

Supports WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter

LMT1972

Registered: Oct 26, 2008
Review Date: May 19, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great IQ, value for money, good at most things.
Cons:
Oil spots on sensor.

Secondhand, the D600 is fantastic value, especially to those venturing into the full frame world for the first time. I 'upgraded' from the D300 with the plan to use the D600 for landscapes and portraits and the D300 for sports, but after a couple of outings I decided the D600 AF was as capable as the D300 so didn't bother using the D300 again. Yes frame rates are a little slow for sports but I still get plenty of keepers, though you really need some good glass (eg. 300VR F2.8) to get the best out of the AF system.
IQ of course compared to the D300 is night & day. I have done a lot landscapes since I got the D600 and the ability to push shadows at low ISO still amazes me. The Nikon 24-70 is my main landscape lens and surprisingly it is MUCH better at 24mm than it was on the D300 as I could never get the edges sharp regardless of what aperture I used. For astro, the ability to use ISO6400 has really been a game changer (I didn't like to go above 2000 on the D300).
The major issue with this camera is of course the well publicised oil spots on the sensor. I have been wet cleaning sensors for years so it wasn't a major issue for me, but if you need to send it in to get cleaned all the time that would be a nuisance. Nikon have since addressed this issue thankfully.
Don't underestimate this little camera, it is very capable in the right hands. I regularly shoot macro, sports, weddings, landscape, astro & portraits with this body and it always does a great job. For me personally it has helped to reignite my passion for photography. Highly recommended!

May 19, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LMT1972 to your Buddy List
JMDobson

Registered: Aug 3, 2013
Review Date: Nov 19, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, lightweight, fantastic DR, high MP
Cons:
fragile, poor battery life, weak AF, tight AF cluster

Nowadays you can find these less than $800, which for Nikon FX is a no-brainer. Mine has been in the shop after a 2-foot fall onto carpet, and I've always been wary of how plastic this camera is.

The sensor is fantastic, and I've been happy with performance up to ISO 6400. After that, it gets pretty nasty. The AF module is the most frustrating part of this camera. It is the D7000 system, so the points are clustered tight in the center, and I struggle to keep it locked on in low light field sports.

I use this mainly as a backup to my D3S, and I am happy with its performance in good light. If I'm on vacation and want to travel light, this camera and a small lens works really well.

Nov 19, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JMDobson to your Buddy List
trenchmonkey

Registered: Oct 21, 2004
Review Date: May 27, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Only 2 reviews?! The 'monkeys take. Awesome IQ, great backup FX body.
Cons:
1/4000th shutter, no dedicated AF-ON button

Buddy called and said "why are there only 2 reviews of the D600
on FM?" (same for the D610) Fine, I'm on it. Initially I thought
poorly of a 'crippled' FX for $2000. After the oil spray debacle I
had the chance to set a couple up for his & hers Xmas gifts for
old clients of mine. Ran a couple thou thru in 3 days and dialed
'em in. No big, they were happy. I got to looking at some of my
shots after the holidays. Real torture test stuff: BIF, sports and
low light. I kept coming back to how great the files looked. Very
good sensor, I was impressed. The 39pt AF handled everything I
threw at it. (having attained guru status with the D7K AF this was
pretty similar) Fast forward to early this Spring. Did my trade and
pressed it into service on a couple of weddings, gave to my 2nd
and it did a solid job in horrible light. So now I have a nice 'throw
in da truck' FX body I can shoot pretty much anything with. Swell
deal for those on a budget. 20K and no dust/no oil, happy times!

Update: look for a refurb/used with the "fix" Nikon will repair or send you a D610 if they can't...N/C. Tough to beat that reality.

May 27, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add trenchmonkey to your Buddy List
dimsonation

Registered: Oct 30, 2010
Location: Israel
Review Date: Jan 24, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: dynamic range, detail
Cons:
live view, plastic front panel

i got the D600 as a backup body for my main workhorse D800. i bought it used, long after the D610 was introduced. my body had a very pronounced sensor dust issue. it had only 1600 actuations when i bought it. i dry cleaned the sensor using a blower and a VisibleDust cleaning kit, then ran the body through another 2500 clicks or so, and cleaned it again. 1000 more clicks and the sensor was almost pristine.

if you can get the D600 over the D610, do it, will save you soime money, and you get the same basic thing, albeit at a price of some dust, you can easily learn to live with (and even that might not happen)

other than that, it's a great and highly capable camera. IQ wise, it's as good as its bigger brother. same DR, maybe even slightly better high ISO performance above 6400.

I wouldn't trust its plasticky front panel as a main body, as i've seen some crack from seemingly slight bumps. but for a backup, it's more than i need

its live view is better than the D800, no more interpolation at high magnifications! i wish nikon fixed the exposure simulation issue as well...

Jan 24, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dimsonation to your Buddy List
Dpedraza

Registered: Jan 8, 2013
Review Date: Nov 27, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Dynamic range, resolution,
Cons:
QC issues for some

As an entry level full frame camera you get a lot of your money. The IQ of this camera is just insane. It doesn't have all the detail of the D800 but it's damn close. The dynamic range of this camera is incredible and would be a great camera for any landscape shooter. I don't shoot moving subjects too much so I can't really comment on the AF too much also I use mf lenses alot.

This is the best deal on full frame cameras out there considering what you get for the money.

** some people had oil/dust issues mine had no such issues.

Nov 27, 2013